Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How do you walk up stairs?

ChuniaC

I only skip steps if I'm in a hurry. Or if I am climbing up to catch the El and I can hear a train coming. Stairs are a good form of exercise and honestly I could take them more at work if I wanted to.

I'm afraid of heights, so if there's a gap between the stairs (no vertical bit) I will go very slowly. However, if I just want to pop into my room upstairs for a moment, I skip a bunch of steps, and always jump the last couple stairs, turning midair with the railing.

Stairs....there aren't many places where I need to walk upstairs actually. At one of my client's the stairs are very shiny wood so I walk VERY CAREFULLY so I don't slip and fall over. At another place the stairs are very narrow cos of the stairlift rail down one side so I er...walk upstairs rather carefully there too! At some friends, there are six cats who could be anywhere, and usually are, so I er walk upstairs quite carefully in case they're there or suddenly decide to be there...

Hmm...seems I walk upstairs carefully, for a variety of reasons, when I have stairs up which to walk...

I usually run or walk up the stairs - 2 or 3 steps at a time. I actually find taking one step at a time kinda uncomfortable... As if my legs don't get the necessary resistance, or pressure on them. I guess this is kinda something that might have stuck with me since I played hockey a few years back, at which we ran up and down stairs half the time we were not on the ice~

I have two ways depending on my mood.

The first is basically leaping up them, taking 3 to 4 steps at once, usually with my feet slightly angled so I have more grip. The second is one a friend of mine taught me which improves dexterity and spacial awareness (if you practice) and thats rotating yourself clockwise with each step up, the aim being that you get to the top facing the right way.

The second is one a friend of mine taught me which improves dexterity and spacial awareness (if you practice) and thats rotating yourself clockwise with each step up, the aim being that you get to the top facing the right way.

I do that occasionally, spinning around a bunch of times to see if I can end up facing the right way. I usually cheat by counting my steps, and doing a hop-twist at the top step to right myself :P
  • Brohoof 1

I do that occasionally, spinning around a bunch of times to see if I can end up facing the right way. I usually cheat by counting my steps, and doing a hop-twist at the top step to right myself :P

Its not really cheating doing that I think, I'm usually too busy concentrating on my balance to be able to count the steps up.

• 6 years later...
(edited)

Who says I walk up stairs? I run up stairs, walking up them takes too long for my impatient self. :laugh: I sometimes even skip steps. The faster the better. 

Edited by Lucky Bolt

I usually walk up stairs at a brisk pace, especially if it's early in the day and I still have energy. And I prefer not to use the handrails because I have a sturdy germophobic concern about such things, unless the stairs are particularly steep or dangerous. 

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

I have a habit of running upstairs to keep my walking pace. I always think I’m walking to slow when stepping step by step. I know how annoying it is to be stuck behind someone.

Up my own staircase at home, I usually go fast when going up and down. When I am using an unfamiliar staircase, I go very slow up and down. I have a fear of falling on stairs I am not familiar with.

• 2 weeks later...

I often have a tendency to run up stairs just because I feel to urge to go fast for some reason, I should probably stop this though as I have tripped on occasion and ended up falling up the stairs.

I usually take two steps at a time. It's sooooo inefficient to take them one at a time, and takes so long. x3

Of course, I'm super uncoordinated, so that leads me to falling down them every now and again, but... eh. The price you pay.

Gotta go fast. :P

If I feel safe enough (which isn’t very safe), then I walk up mostly on the balls of my feet.

*OF MY FEET.

If I feel less safe, like if there are gaps, I may crawl up on all fours. Also because I’m probably a cat or pony or something