Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Dungeons and Dragons

Katrilli

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I've recently took an interest into Dungeons & Dragons, and I'm my group's dungeon master, I'm making this thread for advice and general discussion concerning experiences or something about D&D.

So, have any of you guys ever played or do you want to play D&D? (I'm curious because there's older bronies from the 80's :3)

• Brohoof 3

Oh yes! I do play D&D. Quite frequently, in fact. But we have homebrewed the heck out of 3.5 (and some of 4.0) in order to accommodate for our setting and tastes. It's a lot of fun, though.

You kidding me? Dungeons and Dragons is great. I love tabletop RPGs myself, and D&D is the one I started with... I might even have some campaign notes from a couple of years back, if I can find them.

The only problem I ever had was the price of the various rulebooks- I mean, 30+ dollars for one book? Insane.

Anyway, D&D isn't only for 80's guys, it's great for anyone at all :)

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

yay!  i play AD&D, my boyfriend got me into it haha.  he even bought me the re-realeased set of books for my birthday. :wub:

we tweak it of course, thats what makes it fun.  weve adopted some things from the newer editions (and some pathfinder hehe) but we omit a lot of the silly math things (encumbrance, what weapon would hit first--it drags the game on. we roll a d6 for initiative.) .  if you want a good forum to join, try dragonsfoot.  some of the great original writers/players are there x3

my favourite side thing that we do when we dont have a lot of players on a weekend is Theives Guild.  everyone has a thief character. (assassins are always evil aligned, and generally not welcomed.  you cant play if it devolves into everyone killing each other! :(  )  Our major city is called Golatha--its a port town, and the theives guild is the local crime syndicate.  were assigned missions, some are strange, some are involved.  the DM has to put a lot of thought into each potential avenue, because you never know which way a person will take their character. 

One mission, we had to find and steal a piano from a warehouse in the city.  when we found the warehouse, and broke in, we split up to find the piano.  a new guy was up on the second or third story, and says aloud "im gonna create a distraction--im going to light the place on fire."  we couldnt stop him because none of our characters were up with him, and he had already said thats what he was gonna do.  we hadnt found the piano yet either, when we realize the building is going up in flames.  we nailed his guy to the floor and  made off with the piano, bounding down a cobblestone street in the middle of the night.  NOT SUBTLE AT ALL lmao

and runnning all theives isnt boring like one might think.  we have a magic user-theif (who we didnt know was a magic user until she fried a guy at fourth level D:  ) Naylor, who has an 18 dex and 18 strength.. and he throws darts--hence his name now.  he used to be Gossart, but he literally NAILED his first enemy to a wall. D: all three hits, max damage.  Jackaby, a chain smoking halfling with wolverine hair and mutton chops xD  ChickenWire, a local urchin boy we inducted,  Marx, a russian-accented half-orc, Tater--the scariest halfling ever.  he has this nervous tick to stab people, and then Dilettante, my elf with a penchant for luxury and espionage.  the big problem is finding a cleric-thief. otherwise your heals are paid for in town, and it can eat up the party's funds pretty quick if they aint smart.

sorry for the wall of text, i just get excited over the war stories haha.

• Brohoof 1

Haven't played in years, not since 2nd edition rules. I've acquainted myself with some aspects of 3.0, 3.5, and 4th edition, but 2nd remains my favorite. I'd love to get into it again. Got a lot to learn about how things are done now before I can.

Edited by Artemis
  • Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

from what ive heard pathfinder is really good for folks who dont like the later versions of DnD

bards are good in the later versions, but we still make fun of them--them and gnomes.  our DM will make you actually sing, and most arent willing to be that annoying :P  the biggest problem in our group is probably the over abundance of folks that want to be paladins and cavaliers.  as a part-time cleric it gets boring to sit around and wait for bloody party-mates to run over just for a cure.  we cant take hits so us and the thieves get bored in big fights.  and a druid underground is either amazing useful, or youre bored to tears.  so i have her brother, Harru who is a fighter.  theyre wood elves, and hes got some nifty ioun stones :3

back to the issue with paladins and cavaliers--we have Othar Tryggvassen-Gentleman adventurer! (truly based off him in that amazing comic :D)  othar has had his arms chopped off, swallowed by a t-rex and everythign else you can imagine.  he doesnt die--its freaky luck.  anyways, we have to have hard boss fights to make up for that because othar can walk through them.  hes the chuck norris of our party.

the t-rex incident is pretty funny.  we had to enter a painting, fight lizard men and steal a key to the last door in the dungeon/castle.  lizard guys summon a t-rex and gulliver (cleric of.. whoever will grant him powers atm--hes a graverobber lol) and fraggle (halfling magic user) bolt and run.  othar hears the roar and charges the thing. dino rolls a 20 and swallows him whole. so in effect othar literally jumped down this things gullet.  the dinosaur chases fraggle and gulliver to the river, and they realize CRAP othar had the key! wheres othar?!  the Trex comes into view and fraggle paralyzes it the same instant othar rolls a 20 and cuts his way out of the t-rex. 

:( i killed this thread im sorry!  i just got excited and carried away haha xD

in an effort to keep this going, what editions do people play?

what class/race combination do you prefer and why?

and whats pathfinder like?  ive heard its like the early DnD, where it was simpler and less rules-lawyering.

Pathfinder takes what was good from 3.5 and improves it, and fixes a lot of issues people had with 4.0. I've done both Pathfinder and 3.5, and personally, I like Pathfinder more. The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't promote multi-classing, since the level 20 benefits are through the roof.

I usually play melee classes; Fighters and Rogues usually, but next game I'll be playing a Dwarf Ranger, focusing mostly on my bow with an axe being my close range weapon. 

• Brohoof 1

I've recently took an interest into Dungeons & Dragons, and I'm my group's dungeon master, I'm making this thread for advice and general discussion concerning experiences or something about D&D.

So, have any of you guys ever played or do you want to play D&D? (I'm curious because there's older bronies from the 80's :3)

Yep, I have been DM'ing for 12 years now, I started out playing 3.0 and moved on to 3.5, and refuse to play anything else. 4.0 is total crap comparatively, my group and I play constantly though, and we are working on creating a game called "Age of Equestria" that is a mlp D&D port. 

I just started out of interest since a friend mentioned it and oh god I am obsessed with my character. I get very attached to mine. *laughs*

I played 1e Call of Cthulhu if that counts, though.

• Brohoof 1

wow...DnD started even before I was born...

I started playing in the early to mid 90's...and I still play today. I played mostly ADnD 2nd and 3rd/3.5 editions. Though I now play 4th edition and still love the game...different rules though

I am working on becoming a DM

I played 1e Call of Cthulhu if that counts, though.

sweet! my beau is fixin to run The Masks of Nyarlathotep for us.  im not sure what edition we play though, but i think its through chaosium.

in our mid level campaign i have a (wood)elf fighter, Harru'sil and his sister Piphany, who is my druid.  a lot of the guys in my group are power players though, meaning its all about the fights and XP.  i dont care for that, my character wouldnt know hes going up a level.  i prefer running a clerical class i think

we play every other weekend.

favourite magic items?

I've played, and run games, since the blue box Basic version... so that makes it over thirty five years now.

My basic ground-level advice? Don't take it too seriously. Be willing to just muck about and have fun with it. A lot of people get bogged down in all the rules, get frustrated, and abandon it. Or they get way to invested in their characters, and get very upset when those characters fail (which usually means they die in D&D). Remember that it's supposed to be a game. A rather complex game, but still a game.

• Brohoof 1

I'm from '89, if that counts. :D

Anyone who plays in the RP forum is playing D&D in some form, if just a little less organized.

But yeah, I've been playing since I was 10. Maybe I'll drop in with some advice from time to time.

• Brohoof 1

Me and my friends will play Pathfinder every now and then, it's amazingly fun and we do ignore the rules at times, It jsut takes so long to set up and complete, it's like Monopoly in length or more...

Does anyone want to get a group together to collaborate on a MLP homebrew where you would get to pick race (Earth Pony, Unicorn, Pegasus) (Earth ponies having the most constitution and strength, Unicorns being the best at magic and prayer and Pegasus being the stealth race) and classes and maybe home village too!  There would have to be a main quest line with hard bosses and such, and dying would have to remain a possibility.  (Probably a 4 homebrew instead of 3.5, as 4 is easier to manage but IDC either way.)  If this was done we would also need to incorporate actual items from the series too, like alicorn amulet, elements of harmony, ect.

If anyone is interested, message me back.  Too tired to think atm.

Edited by John

Sturdy Wing is basically working on taking the entire 3.5e DnD ruleset and adjusting it with lore from MLP and some balance alterations to account for the main races' being significantly more differentiated than those in standard DnD. Alex-Kennedy meanwhile is running a more "Ignore parts that don't make sense" campaign where we just take the rules as-is and evade questions on how a pony would be using a Greatsword or longbow.

Does anyone want to get a group together to collaborate on a MLP homebrew where you would get to pick race (Earth Pony, Unicorn, Pegasus) (Earth ponies having the most constitution and strength, Unicorns being the best at magic and prayer and Pegasus being the stealth race) and classes and maybe home village too!  There would have to be a main quest line with hard bosses and such, and dying would have to remain a possibility.  (Probably a 4 homebrew instead of 3.5, as 4 is easier to manage but IDC either way.)  If this was done we would also need to incorporate actual items from the series too, like alicorn amulet, elements of harmony, ect.

If anyone is interested, message me back.  Too tired to think atm.

Sturdy Wing is basically working on taking the entire 3.5e DnD ruleset and adjusting it with lore from MLP and some balance alterations to account for the main races' being significantly more differentiated than those in standard DnD. Alex-Kennedy meanwhile is running a more "Ignore parts that don't make sense" campaign where we just take the rules as-is and evade questions on how a pony would be using a Greatsword or longbow.

Indeed I am, and I'm always looking for new players (if you have a problem with things not making sense, I also run a humanized campaign). I'm also working on Sturdy Wing's development team as well. In that regard, I'm sure Sturdy Wing would agree that we'll gladly take any help you can offer.

Weeeeeeell I absolutely love reading the monster manuals, and the Manual of the Planes and stuff like that.

(And I also like creating monsters and making their own stats with the D&D rules)

Like this:

Parasprite swarm  level 8 controller

Medium Natural Beast (Swarm)

--------

Initiative +9. Senses: perception +5

Swarm attack: aura 1; the parasprite swarm makes a basic attack as a free action against each enemy that begins it's turn in the aura.

Hp: 88; bloodied: 44 

AC: 20; fortitude 20, reflex 18, will 18

Resist: half damage from melee attacks; vulnerable 10 against close and area attacks.

Speed: 8, fly 10

-----------------

Melee Basic Attack-

Swarm of hunger (standard; at will)

+12 vs. Reflex; 1d8 

Melee- devour (standard; at will while bloodied)

+8 vs. Reflex; first failed save: the target looses a random item for one turn (save ends) (the DM may choose to not use this attack or change the effect) second failed save: the target looses a random item till the end of the encounter (save ends) third failed save: the item is destroyed, unless it is magical (save ends)

---------------

Alignment: Unaligned languages: -

Str: 18 (+9) Dex: 16 (+7) Wis: 15 (+7) Con: 18 (+6)  Int: 1 (-1) cha: 10 (+4)

Not entirely sure how to create a monster's Armor Class.

I've never had the chance to actually play, but I did make half of a campaign which I plan on playing with some of my friends in the future.

The problem is, I never got my hands on a player's manual/guide so I can't really play the campaign without knowing the rules for making a character xP

Edited by Zalgo

Thank you kindly for the shout out :) That's actually mostly true save the fact we have also changed the classes around significantly to make them fit better within the realm of Equestria. Balancing the damned thing has been pretty hard and there are many talented bronys on mlpforums helping me to balance things like Pegasus flight and whatnot. 

• Brohoof 1

I play DnD every friday (4.0) and every other saturday I play pathfinder with one group and on the other saturdays when we can I play pathfinder with another group. my weekends are pretty nerdy XD and sundays are star trek/WoW.

I have been playing DnD for three months or so, but havent played in a few weeks. I really enjoy it alot though.