Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Dungeons and Dragons

Katrilli

• 1 month later...

I'm actually planning out a campaign setting that uses tweaked 3rd edition rules (mostly because I have 3rd edition sourcebooks)

Are there already any rules for making Kobolds, Goblins, and Hobgoblins into player characters?

Are there already any rules for making Kobolds, Goblins, and Hobgoblins into player characters?

There are in 3.5, but I don't know about normal third edition. If there is anything it should be in the Monster Manual, I believe. 

I forgot to mention in regards to the D&D group me and Flame Dancer are trying to get together that it's either going to be Pathfinder or 3.5 depending on what the majority of people want to do.

• 3 weeks later...

So I'm not much of a nerd but ever since the yogscast started playing dungeons and dragons on their podcasts I've played wether its with friends or on other forums. I haven't seen any topics about dungeons and dragons but if enough people are willing to play I will give out my Skype details and play the role of dungeon master. Is anypony interested?

• 3 months later...

Well, one time, I was dungeon crawling, and the GM, (AKA, my dad) was describing that we were in a library and said that we could see books. Me, being the idiot that I am, I take a good long listen, and I say..."What books?" Also, if you can find a GM and find some way to get Open RPG, I would be happy to join you in a campaign.

*Raises hand* I've been playing it for about two years and I've had some fun with my friends. Although I always end up being the guy that is the tank of the group but always gets the crappy rolls >.> Although last campaign I could fly and had a rainbow colored lightsaber that could heal me and my teamates. So... yeah xp

*necromancer walks in*

*raises thread from the dead*

So... anybody want to guess how Evilshy plays DnD?

I'll give you a hint about how the first chapter of a Pathfinder campaign I recently joined went (some of you might recognize it)...

I'm am neutral evil elf sorcerer with the undead bloodline. I'm a violent pyromaniac with a weakness for alcohol and women of basically any intelligent species. And I have high charisma, persuasion, and bluffing, so I can get into bed with most I might, too.

So, I was in some random town, taking advantage of my cousins hospitality. I got hired by a local church and spent the money on hookers. The town was attacked by goblins, and I set a bunch of stuff on fire and then tossed the still living goblins into the fire after paralyzing them with double grave touches. And as a town hero, I got tons of ass, as well as getting paid.

As we investigated further, I slaughtered more goblins in horrible ways, burned nearly everything that was flammable because I could, and took advantage of my party members as the only one who can brew potions (we have no cleric at the moment :P). And of course, I lied about how cool I was to everybody back in town and slept around as much as possible.

Then stuff started to get serious, so I got more evil.

I interrogated some old goblin lady who was taking care of goblin babies. After getting the information, I burnt them all alive for fun.

I killed the half elf who was organizing them in front of his wife. I helped our crazy samurai desecrate a shrine to their God.

Then, we went to confront the leader behind it all, and instead of fighting her, pulled out my persuasion and bluffing skills. I was planning to betray my party anyway, but the fact that the enemy leader is this really hot half-human woman definitely helps. I not only convinced her that I didn't do all the horrible stuff, but also that killing half-elf working for her was in self-defense, even with his widow constantly telling her the truth (fear my charisma-related skills). And then, I managed to convince the hot leader that the widow wasn't even needed because she's irrational (she's not) and because I'm a more powerful caster (which I actually am).

So I had a drinking contest with the widow using cursed, INT-damaging water (apparently some Deity would allow the unworthy one to die), but I just laughed because of my higher base INT and better resistance to the curse. So the widow was drugged out of her mind, and I burnt her alive.

So yeah, now I'm going to try my hardest to get lucky with the leader, all the while maintaining the charade of being a hero in the nearby town I was hired to protect. Eventually, I'm going to try to take over control of the goblins. I doubt it will work, since they hate elves, so at the very least, I get to kill tons of stuff :D

• Brohoof 1

Hellz yea I do! Actually, next wednesday is the next D&D session me 'n my friends are gonna hold ^^

I'm the DM but I'm still learning the ropes though. I love playing DM more than PC though because I just can control everything. Since I'm a PC Power Gamer I don't really care about what happens and people asking about lore and stuff just bore me. BUT, if I get to create lore and lead my party to near-death encounters I'm one happy person! I love telling stories and helping people get involved, with my goal being making my party not be too friendly with eachother, just enough to have their own agenda yet still forced to work together.

Currently I'm holding a campaign with 2 factions at war and I'm happy to say my victims PCs have created one helluva party. We're playing 4th edition though since 3.5 might be a bit too harsh on them. I still have to help them plenty of times but they're getting better and better ^^

I love DnD.

Currently my group is going to kill all these dragons because a town hired one of us to gather a group of people to do so. 

I'm currently playing as a Longtooth Shifter Warlord (kind of like a werewolf) who enjoys hacking stuff to pieces with her warpick. And it doesn't help that after killing our first dragon I got armor that buffs up my AC but plays with my mentality and emotions and a Vicious Warpick. .

Basically what the armor does to me is it that it makes me have strong urges to fight and when I am fighting I get bonuses. But when I am actually resisting and not wanting to fight, my character will get depressed, happy.png

Never played actual D&D, but I'd certainly like to. Closest I've come is the Final Fantasy tabletop RPG, which I enjoy, but I'm sure isn't anywhere near as in-depth. I was going to join the pony D&D campaign here, but it turned out my schedule wouldn't allow (plus it kind of appears as though it's not going anywhere at the moment).

I really wish I knew more people in my area who play. I can think of about five friends who'd want to start a campaign, but most of them are too busy, just like yours truly. It sucks having a life sometimes... sad.png

Been playing D&D ever since the Blue-box edition, *way* back.

I usually end up being the DM, but I'm not actually that good at it. I'm better at campaign design than I am at actually 'running the game'.

I didn't play much but I have a ton of 1st and 2nd ed and regular dnd stuff. I bought a 6th printing of the very first original DnD from the 1970s. I have been collecting old dnd recently. I never had much time to play in college and I don't live near any friends. I wish I could play online with someone. I also bought every expansion of that 1990 game Heroquest game. I would love to show anypony my collection.

• 4 weeks later...

Never played DnD, but interested in doing so. Got a rulebook around somewhere, even. Just a rules compendium. No player, DM, or monster handbooks. Oh, and a copy of DnD 4th Edition for Dummies just to be safe.

I want too so bad..... I don't know why i never played it before..... I should. Sometime.  I'm too busy procrastinating to even bother with something that was meant for procrastinating. Also, it's 1 in the morning right now. I will look it up later today.

I made a shaman with a unicorn spirit companion.  My teammates named her "Rainbow Bright".

There was also I time when I was DM that a player revealed that his character wanted to learn about friendship, and I annoyed him with the usual reference.

• 2 weeks later...

Depending on what day and what time, and what edition you are going into... 

So far, I and a few friends are play-testing 5th edition, and it has gone pretty well. I've also played 3rd and a mixture of 2.5 and a little of 3 following the rules that my DM has followed.

(edited)

Don't let other people tell you that 4e is terrible.  It's really not, and its a lot faster to start with it and easier to learn.  You spend less time number crunching and more time role playing.

Ignore the post below me.  4e is a great addition.  I've played 4e and pathfinder and they aren't that hard to switch between.  Pathfinder is more work, with less character variety (because all mage-like classes do the same spells from a list.  This can make it very generic.)  although it offers a greater variety of strategy, it has less flexible character design.  You don't really get as many cool character specific traits as you do in D&D.)  When I played pathfinder as an Alchemist, I felt like the bard and wizard could do everything I did and vica versa.  This made the gameplay somewhat stiff.

4e is easy to learn with character specialization and good role play.  People just hump 3.5 because it's all they've grown up with and they're used to it.

Edited by John

First of all: 

I haven't seen any topics about dungeons and dragons

You must not be looking very hard. I started one myself, and I've been an active poster in at least three. Second of all, I only play 3.5e and pathfinder (which isn't technically D&D at all). If you're going to do one of those two, I'm in. Otherwise, I have better things to do than teach myself another edition of D&D.

I might be up for it. I've been trying to get a group started around here, but my players aren't very dedicated and it really hasn't gotten off the ground.