Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How do Applejack and Rarity fans feel?

Clarity

Gee, this thread from last year, revived with more heartwarming responses, eh? ^-^ I don't really feel that outrageous now when people ignore Applejack and Rarity, but it's still quite...um...what's the word? Unreasonable, I guess.

I still love all the mane 6 ponies, Rarity and AJ are no exception, even if they're on the bottom of my favorite mane 6 ponies list, I still love them.

Rarity's overdramatic humor is simply hilarious, she can actually be one of the funnier characters on the show overall when she tries :P.

Applejack is a great character to, I mean shes southern(Already bonus points from me because I'm southern) Dedicated, hardworking, and doesn't lie and when she does shes funny to watch try to get outta it.

Both are great ponies, and I'm not really the one to point out everything good about them, but they're both great charactors, I guess they're just not liked as much overall by most, I dunno why.

I love all the mane 6 pretty highly though. Just some over the others a little bit.

So does this mean that Look Before You Sleep is the most hated episode ever?  :lol:

Guess I'll chime in here as a Rarity fan.  Me, I don't quite get it, but then my own Mane Six ranking is almost an inversion of the most popular characters (it goes Rarity > Pinkie Pie > Applejack > Twilight > Fluttershy > Rainbow Dash) so I've always thought on my own in that sense.  My own theory is that for some people a character is defined by their biggest, most obvious personality quirk.  Unfortunately, Rarity's biggest quirk is her vanity and penchant for histrionics, not really the most admirable qualities, and Applejack... well, she doesn't really have one.  Okay, she has her stubborn pride,but that's more subtle than most and frankly, it's not the most endearing quality of all.  Certainly I think Fluttershy's adorable shyness will likely win her a few more fans. 

And no offense to any fan of MLP, but a lot of the fanbase consists of younger to mid teenage fans, and they tend to like more easily understood characters like Rainbow Dash or Pinkie Pie. In my opinion, Applejack and Rarity are a bit more complex, so I think that's part of why they're on the bottom of the barrel in popularity.

Hit the nail on the head.  I've trumpeted on here about how Rarity is my favorite numerous times,  but that kind of crept up on me.  She is probably one of the more nuanced and complex characters among the Mane Six.  I think people react too quickly to her surface personality and don't really look deeper. She's vain, but also thoughtful, kind, and hardworking- three qualities you almost never associate with vanity, and I personally think that's such a fascinating and likeable mix of attributes. 

It should also be noted, though, that (at least from my perspective) that these are also the two most mature ponies in the show, other than somepony like Celestia. 

I can fully understand why Rarity isn't very appreciated, but I don't understand why the same applies to Applejack at all.

Being an Applejack fan, yes, I do get quite annoyed whenever Applejack is referred to as a background pony. I've actually seen a lot of love for Rarity, which I don't really understand either.

Rarity is an interesting mix of characteristics.  She's vain, high maintenance, and a drama queen, yes, but every other aspect of her is totally contrary to those qualities.  She's thoughtful of others, generous in spirit (think of it- her passion is in making other ponies look and feel better), very intelligent, and hardworking.  Yeah, she wants the best for herself, but she wants to share that experience with others, not have it all to herself. 

Yes she has flaws, of course.  But rather than being a detriment to her character, that makes her more rounded, IMO.  She works hard to fix those flaws, and over the last three seasons, she has. 

Well, first of all, I feel that Rarity isn't a snob, but she DOES have the potential to come out as one. I'm not saying she is full moon snob, but she can show her colors here and there.

I understand that she can be a snob.  In fact, I 'd say that her vanity is an important part of who she is.  What I don't get is people seeing that as the end-all-be-all of her character, and then brushing aside the personality flaws of their own favorite pony. 

I also don't really get why more people seem to call out Rarity on being a snob than on Dash for her egotistical cockiness.

• Brohoof 3

I happen to really love Rarity because she's everything that would drive me nuts. I don't know why but to me she's the most independent of all of them and thats mainly what I see in her

At one point in my life I would say that Applejack would have been my favorite pony but she reminds me of a bad personal time that im not quite over yet and not that I hold that against her... it just is

I don't really mind it when people say that AJ and Rarity are their least favorite ponies. I usually try to come up with reasons why they are interesting and important characters, but in the end it really is just a matter of opinion.

Besides, how boring would it be to have EVERYPONY in the fandom love the same characters, and loathe the same characters? wink.png

I really don't care too much about what people thinks of Rarity or AJ, that won't change what i feel about them.

each one have the right to like the ponies one want.

Not because AJ or Rarity doesn't have the support the other ponies have, doesn't mean they are less special, at least that's my opinion.

• 2 years later...

Rarity needs more love <3 and I dont really pay much attention to who is most popular of the mane 6 that much =)

I think its safe to say, at least on mlpforums, rarity is most popular!  :grin2:  :D  :pout:  :proud:  :confused:  :please:

Edited by Nintenboy195
  • Brohoof 1