Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Gender Neutral?

longgone

Ok, so I was doing some digging on the whole MLP thing and I came across something interesting. I've seens lots of bronies say that MLP is 'gender neutral' and mean for all ages etc., while at the same time, lots of other bronies are saying it supposed to be for little girls (even hotdiggedydemon said it's for little girls on his blog). So, is it more of a opinion, and less of a fact that MLP is gender neutral for anyone to decide for themselves? Or did Lauren Faust truely create MLP:FIM for all ages/genders?

Lauren Faust created Fim for little girls, but with various extra elements so parents can watch FiM without wanting to gouge their eyes out, but something went wrong and she got a whole cult for it :wacko:

Not really sure about Season 2, but Season 1 was more directed to selling toys to little girls, just like its earlier generations

The label applied to a show, or anything, but people, even the creator, become subjective. Like Hylian said, it shouldn't matter.

I'm sorry, but it's undeniably aimed towards girls. The MLP brand has always been, and that hasn't changed here.

The claim that it is aimed at preschoolers is a bit too much for me, though. I've seen cartoons for preschoolers and they are ...awful. FIM comes off a lot more like the cartoons I (as well as others of the age) used to watch back when I was in late elementary school and early middle school (well, I never stopped watching cartoons, but that's aside from the point. lol). So I associate it more in that age range.

It has great universal appeal, as a quality cartoon should, and that's why we all enjoy it. However, it doesn't change who it's aimed for. This attempt to say that FIM is not a girl's cartoon is kind of bothering me. We finally see guys secure enough in themselves to watch something aimed toward the opposite sex, and instead of embracing it and saying "To heck with these stupid gender stereotypes! We can like whatever we want." they all are like "Well... It's not really a girl's show." Come on, now, guys.

• Brohoof 5

I didn't create this show for little girls, I created it for little girls and their parents--including male parents. It only stands to reason that adult animation fans without children may like it, too.

The belief that boys shouldn't be interested in girl things is the main reason there's hardly anything decent for girls in animation--- or almost any media, for that matter. It's a backwards, sexist, outdated attitude.

~Fausticorn, 'Lauren' to her friends and colleagues.

She did have the idea for it to be pretty gender neutral. She didn't think the fanbase would turn out to be a lot of guys as well, but the show is definitely far, far more gender neutral than anything this franchise has ever come out with before.

• Brohoof 4

Well I have a hard time saying it isn't targeted at girls, given the girl to boy ratio of characters and just the general theme of the show ( Admit it guys, if you were in elementary school you would label it a "girl show" ). It is however, as has been proven, a show that can be enjoyed by people who aren't the "target audience".

This show is made for fillies doesnt mean that we cant enjoy it though :3 Colorful ponies who learn about friendship? To the world today, that doesnt fit under the category "masculine" But who cares? Its awesome. Enough said right there.

Season 1 was for little girls definitely. But i think once they discovered that MLP had such a force behind it, particularly with the older demographic, they made season 2 to cater for the older audience. I think we'll see more of this in season 3 as well. However to me it will always be more of a girls show than a guys show.

Doesn't mean i'll stop watching it though ;)

Edited by Bucky_McGillycuddy

Sex and violence are used as a gimmick to cover up bad writing and bland characters. MLP has better writing and better characters than any other show on tv .

I don't believe in the concept of race or gender specific entertainment and I think that Lauren Faust has done a good job in destroying that barrier.

I think it "was" intended to be for little girls...

But as soon as it got a big fan bace... The adjusted it...

However... It is still half pointed to little girls... Like, do you see any guys in the toy commercials?

What's it matter? I don't give a shit about what gender it was pointed to at this point..

I think it "was" intended to be for little girls...

But as soon as it got a big fan bace... The adjusted it...

However... It is still half pointed to little girls... Like, do you see any guys in the toy commercials?

What's it matter? I don't give a shit about what gender it was pointed to at this point..

If they made toys that looks 100% like the show and market it towards bronies, I'm sure that it will outsell the toys that they market at little girls.

• Brohoof 1

It has great universal appeal, as a quality cartoon should, and that's why we all enjoy it. However, it doesn't change who it's aimed for. This attempt to say that FIM is not a girl's cartoon is kind of bothering me. We finally see guys secure enough in themselves to watch something aimed toward the opposite sex, and instead of embracing it and saying "To heck with these stupid gender stereotypes! We can like whatever we want." they all are like "Well... It's not really a girl's show." Come on, now, guys.

This. This. THIS. Cannot agree more. It makes me uncomfortable when some Bronies (not all Bronies, mind!) insist they make ponies "more manly" or are changing male gender roles, when really, it's more about embracing something feminine. And that's a GOOD thing! It's not bad to like something for girls! Faust herself asserts this in the above mentioned quote:

"The belief that boys shouldn't be interested in girl things is the main reason there's hardly anything decent for girls in animation--- or almost any media, for that matter. It's a backwards, sexist, outdated attitude."

It's a girl's show, and it's good. Not good IN SPITE OF it's intended demographic, but a good girl show.

• Brohoof 1

At this point, I'm sure the fan base is gender neutral, but the show is aimed at little girls. I don't think think there should be any debate about that. I feel that it's fine to watch even if you aren't in its intended target audience.

• Brohoof 1

I think season 1 still had a bit of the "show for little girls" feeling to it, but season 2 felt more like for all ages. I'm not too sure how to explain, but I generally think that this show can be watched by anyone. Not everything in this world is only popular to its target audience.

• Brohoof 1

• 8 years later...

I believe you might be missing the point, yes it is true that the show was intended for little girls hence why pastel coloured ponies. However, this is Lauren Faust and she's always had her cartoons also aimed at being enjoyable for the supposedly parents of said children watching the show. I believe most cartoons are usually also meant for adults I mean if you rewatch any you'll see a lot of jokes you as a kid never thought on. Yet you know, is the show gender neutral I wouldn't say it is as it is a girly show I mean the main characters are girls and overall the characters are almost entirely female other then the occasional male pone and Spike of course alongside Discord. Yet the overall vibe of show is that it is for everyone. Guess if you ask yourself though maybe we're focusing on the gender roles. I mean pastel coloured ponies can be liked by everyone yet we assume it's for girls. Then again if a girl watching a show involving cars you'd say the same both are liked by both and honestly I would almost argue it is in fact gender neutral. Yet although gender stereotypes it is very obvious what the target demographic is haha.

• Brohoof 1