Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Enjoying my new hobby

Shadow Chaser

So a while back I picked up vectoring as a hobby because ponies. So in all that time I started with my OC and another character for use in the cover art of a story but I've recently gotten back into the artwork and found myself having a lot of fun. So I've done quite a few new pieces and I figured I'd gather them all up and share with everyone. So here we go.

The first two are my OC, in different poses.

The second is a character I created solely for a story and the 4th is the two of them on the Las Pegasus sign where the story took place.

5th is Shadow looking bored and grumpy. (By far my favorite one.)

6th is one I did, at random, for Megalink55.

Last is a random idea from SweetieBelle Excel, who just said to draw one doing a one handed hand stand, which ended up being his own character.

That's all I have for now but I imagine I'll keep doing these for some time. Might even live stream some.

(By no means do I consider myself a pro at this. I'm still very much an amateur but I'm having fun, and that's the important part, right?)

• Brohoof 16

I really like these! They're super good and well done. I've always like the clean lines vectoring gave and for just picking it up it's pretty great stuff you've got here. Keep it up, I would like to see some more works and it'll be cool to see your development broski!

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Good for you, nice vectors! Love to see what else you can make :)

Ever tried doing low-level comissions so you can make some extra cash and enjoy your hobby at the same time?

I've thought about it but I don't think I'm quite good enough to charge for them. haha Most of these are just traces of other poses or sketches that I color in. But if you find me someone willing to pay, I won't turn down money. haha

Edit: Also, if anyone is interested, I have been recording/streaming these and if you want to waste an hour and a half, here's the Deadpool video. My Pandora covers audio. haha

http://new.livestrea.../videos/4996826

Edited by Shadow Chaser

Well, a buddy of mine is a huge Deadpool fan and asked me to try my hand at a Deadpool pony. I'm not too fond of the outcome but I've done worse.

Well, i think the outcome of Deadpoll was pretty neat, but the black part around the eyes are getting abit close to the mouth. Maybe if you made a small gap between the smile and the black, it will look abit better?

My opinion :)

• Brohoof 1

Well, i think the outcome of Deadpoll was pretty neat, but the black part around the eyes are getting abit close to the mouth. Maybe if you made a small gap between the smile and the black, it will look abit better?

My opinion :)

I had not noticed that. It's a product of the rendering of the image into a .png file. Sometimes lines get crossed or become bigger. I'll have to redo that a tad and make sure the gap is there. Thank you sir.

These vectors are very well done. You should be quite proud of these so far, and it is nice to see that you have a variety of poses and expressions for the characters. I must agree though with the comment on the Deadpool pony on the black area around the eyes and mouth. I am sure it is a minor issue you can fix easily. Keep it up and keep having fun!

I had not noticed that. It's a product of the rendering of the image into a .png file. Sometimes lines get crossed or become bigger. I'll have to redo that a tad and make sure the gap is there. Thank you sir.

You are very welcome! Just ask if you need any constructive critisism ;) I tend to be good at that, nad I enjoy helping others achieving their goals :)

(edited)

Ok, so I know this will make me look like a total noob, but what EXACTLY is vectoring ? And do you create your image from sratch in vectoring or do you have to have a drawing or picture to work with? Any good cheap beginner programs I can use?

Vectoring is a type of animation that allows pictures to never look grainy. So, with a normal picture, when you zoom in it looks all blocky. But with a vector, they keep the same ratio and remain smooth no matter how big or small you make them.

For most of my images, I trace over the top of an existing image and then color and do hair accordingly.

And the program I use, which was easy enough to learn, is called Inkscape. It's free. :)

If you'd like a closer look at me vectoring to see if you'll like it, I've got two videos here that you can watch. They're long but it shows my process. It's a lot of fun.

Okay modified the Deadpool and did one of Rarity because a friend of mine is a fan. And let it be known... I will never do Rarity again.. The hair.. The eyes.. But mostly the hair! Also, her left eye bugs me but I can't figure out why/how to fix it.

Fluttershy! Tried to upload this last night when the forums were being wonky. Originally forgot her freakin' cutie mark too. But here is the finished product.

And in honor of Spirit Day, I did Twilight Sparkle. I don't own anything purple so I figured why not make something purple. Her hair is more fun than Rarity's too.

Edited by Shadow Chaser
  • Brohoof 2

Nice work on your vector working there, I suck at vectoring, I did once do a dugital rendition of one of my sketches but it wasnt too great. You said that you do vectors of your drawings, care tonpost one of the drawings? :P

Good work, keep it up :)

(edited)

You said that you do vectors of your drawings.

I do vectors of other people's drawings. Not my own. I couldn't draw to save my life. Vectoring is easier. But I trace over other people's sketches and come out with things like the blue pegasus up there.

The mane 6 I'm drawing are complete traces from other vectors but I'm planning on mashing them together in a wallpaper.

Although, that blue pegasus came from this drawing.

Posted Image

Edited by Shadow Chaser
  • Brohoof 1

I cannot handle all of these cute pones. Dude these are so awesome! Keep up dating forever please, I love the 3 of the mane six you did, it's vectored so they look part of the show but it obviously has your own special taste to it!

Vectoring is a type of animation that allows pictures to never look grainy. So, with a normal picture, when you zoom in it looks all blocky. But with a vector, they keep the same ratio and remain smooth no matter how big or small you make them.

For most of my images, I trace over the top of an existing image and then color and do hair accordingly.

And the program I use, which was easy enough to learn, is called Inkscape. It's free. :)

If you'd like a closer look at me vectoring to see if you'll like it, I've got two videos here that you can watch. They're long but it shows my process. It's a lot of fun.

Okay modified the Deadpool and did one of Rarity because a friend of mine is a fan. And let it be known... I will never do Rarity again.. The hair.. The eyes.. But mostly the hair! Also, her left eye bugs me but I can't figure out why/how to fix it.

Fluttershy! Tried to upload this last night when the forums were being wonky. Originally forgot her freakin' cutie mark too. But here is the finished product.

And in honor of Spirit Day, I did Twilight Sparkle. I don't own anything purple so I figured why not make something purple. Her hair is more fun than Rarity's too.

I don't like it... I LOVE IT!

Oh, but by the way, there's something white on the corner of Twilight's eye. Maybe is it supposed to be that way?

I don't like it... I LOVE IT!

Oh, but by the way, there's something white on the corner of Twilight's eye. Maybe is it supposed to be that way?

Yea that little speck was meant to be there. Though I'm thinking about making her pupil a tad bigger to cover it up. Can't decide.

And today was Pinkie Pie! I'm headed out to Oklahoma on Monday so the super complicated Dash I'm planning on doing will have to wait for now. Also, I loved the 4th wall breakage so much in this picture that I decided to make it my own wallpaper. If anyone wants this in something smaller than 16x9 just let me know and I'm happy to add it. Also also, if someone wants to add something to the big black space, send me a message and I'll send you the vector. (Or however that works.)

And due to insomnia here is Rainbow Dash! This took me an hour and a half total to complete and I was expecting something WAY longer. Maybe I'm just getting faster with these. :D

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

So it took me forever because I took a vacation somewhere in between but I finally finished my goal with the mane 6. And here it is, a happy background. (Though I'm thinking of redoing AJ and Shy cuz they seem out of place a bit.)Did this one for my friend Kate. Had to borrow Twilight's hair a bit cuz free hand hair is hard, yo. And somehow ended up giving her similar eyes to Vinyl Scratch.So I'm getting ready to write a new fanfic with my OC and I've begun a tradition of doing my own cover art. Thinking of using something like this.

So I found out earlier today that my friend Kate, whom I drew that light blue pony for, did not have a Christmas tree for her apartment.  And five minutes ago, I sent her this.  :)

So.

Pro.

Dude, these are epic. Keep it up, and everyone else is right. You can definitely do payed commissions. :D

As someone trying to get into digital art (including vectoring), I'm wondering, what do you use to vector? Do you use a drawing pad or just a mouse/track pad? And I'll look into Inkscape. I was originally looking into Photoshop, but between that and the GIMP I think that'd cover all my pony-drawing needs. :P

Edited by Sky Nomad

• 2 weeks later...
I'm wondering, what do you use to vector? Do you use a drawing pad or just a mouse/track pad?

Just my mouse.  When I was in high school I took drafting for three years so I actually got pretty accurate using just a mouse.  I've actually never even gotten my hands on a drawing pad.  Even if I did though, I'd probly stick with my mouse.  I find it to be a bit more precise.

And for a free program, that I think isn't even fully released yet, Inkscape is pretty awesome.  I picked it up and watched a few tutorials of some stuff on Youtube and then I was out the door and doing my own.

Hell do you take commisions? lol

I don't really do commissions, but I do take requests.  Like, Hey, I'd like to see my character drawn in this kind of position!  As long as you give me a template for your OC and something close to the position you want them in (Google images are your friend.)  I'll put it on my to-do list.  I mean, if you want to pay me, I won't say no.  haha  But I don't really have anything like that set up.

Also, thank you both for the compliments. :)

So, every once in a while, I go through people's profiles and look for OCs and stuff to draw.  Well, this time I came across Shankveld's OC, Cherished, and here she is.

Cherish.png

Okay, first time doing a filly.  ..  That doesn't sound right.  Anyway, this was my first shot at drawing a filly.  I'm working on a wallpaper to coincide with a fanfic I'm writing.  My OC, Shadow Chaser, has a family.  With Rainbow Dash.  This is the first of the two daughters.  Sky Chaser.  Cutie mark of a cloud because her special talent is shaping and modeling clouds.

Side notes: I don't much like drawing fillies.  I had a small template to work from but this was mostly freehand.  This took me like two freakin' hours!  Context:  Dash lounging on her cloud only took me an hour.

Also, not counting the shadow on her back legs, Sky has 5 unique blues on her.

And here is Sky's little sister, Moon Chaser.  She takes after Shadow while Sky takes after Rainbow.  I had a lot of fun with her hair and finding the right colors. :)

Edited by Shadow Chaser
  • Brohoof 3

So a while back I picked up vectoring as a hobby because ponies. So in all that time I started with my OC and another character for use in the cover art of a story but I've recently gotten back into the artwork and found myself having a lot of fun. So I've done quite a few new pieces and I figured I'd gather them all up and share with everyone. So here we go.

The first two are my OC, in different poses.

The second is a character I created solely for a story and the 4th is the two of them on the Las Pegasus sign where the story took place.

5th is Shadow looking bored and grumpy. (By far my favorite one.)

6th is one I did, at random, for Megalink55.

Last is a random idea from SweetieBelle Excel, who just said to draw one doing a one handed hand stand, which ended up being his own character.

That's all I have for now but I imagine I'll keep doing these for some time. Might even live stream some.

(By no means do I consider myself a pro at this. I'm still very much an amateur but I'm having fun, and that's the important part, right?)

oh my gosh that is so so so awesome!!!  :wub:  That is def. a great hobby and continue at it because you are very good at making them! I am starting now with the basics of vectoring & hope I can get this good soon :o all of those vectors were awesome <3

• Brohoof 1

I must say I really love those vectors you have going there, they are so smooth and flawless it would be a shame for anyone to NOT like them.

They look so show accurate it's awesome :D

Nice work there, keep it up :)

• Brohoof 1