Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Senn555

So, did anyone catch the Littlest Pet Shop premiere after the MLP S3 premiere today? Anyways, here's a link to the first episode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Zpsx2eswiI&feature=plcp

I was at a local brony meetup today, and suggested that we watch this because many cast members from MLP: FiM were also involved in this. (For example, Ashleigh Ball voices Blythe, the main character.) People liked it, but not as much as MLP: FiM, obviously.

Overall, I cannot make a final judgement on it quite yet (it's only the first episode), but I like what I see so far. It has... potential, let's just say. Certainly, it's nowhere near as good as FiM, but time will tell. It's a cute show with a lot of self-aware humor, let's put it at that.

You know what I think? Bronies need to stop being so hard on it.

post-20-0-12979000-1352592215_thumb.png

post-20-0-23290800-1352592226.png

Really, the show has potential. It is also the first episode so you can't really judge it that well.

Also, LPS is technically "manlier."

Ponies. Pets. Back in time, girls liked ponies, everyone loved pets.

Which is why I don't get why people are hating it for being a girlier then mlp.

Overall, it deserves the 5 episode rule.

All pilots are ok. Mlp's was actually worse then this. *Puts up flame shield*

post-20-0-12979000-1352592215_thumb.png

post-20-0-23290800-1352592226.png

• Brohoof 5

I watched a portion of it, and I didn't think it was all that bad, I am very open minded and wouldn't mind giving this a little attention.

I prolly won't like it nearly as much as MLP, but I don't think there is anything that can beat the love I feel for that show.

Where's episode two? I want to find out if they save the pet shop! Nah, I'm sure they do, but I would like to know HOW they save it! Pretty good so far. The animals are very cute and quirky.

In other news, though:

One of the twins: "Are those your clothes?" Um...no...? What a dumb question!

• Brohoof 2

It wasn't bad, but it never really breaks that mold of modern commercial animation. A little bit more of effort on the story section of the show & they got themselves something special.

So. Episodes 1 and 2 aired on The Hub yesterday after the MLP season 3 premiere. I've edited the main post with additional crossover cast & crew, as well as links to both episodes on YouTube. (Quality there isn't super amazing, but it's serviceable enough)

It's probably better if you skip episode 1 and start on episode 2 instead, given this person's review on ToonZone.net, which sums up my thoughts rather well:

http://www.toonzone....ecovers-nicely/

Skimming through both episodes, a few things I noticed (spoilers!):

- The first minute and a half of episode 1... that dog REALLY looks like Zipper. You know, the dog in Pound Puppies who was voiced by Tara Strong.

- A couple of moments in episode 2 where no one speaks and the music score gets to shine.

- Episode 2, 13:15 - Obvious reference to Carrie

- 15:55 - The Show Stoppers, anyone?

- The fashion show itself appears similar to the fashion show from Suited for Success (although this time, it's not a failure)

- 17:08 - the dancing moves, outfit, and music score are a take on Michael Jackson

All in all, a few references for the adults, though still mainly geared for the kids. It's not Friendship is Magic but it's looking to be a good show so far. I like Littlest Pet Shop's theme song more than My Little Pony's, in all honesty. I'll stick around for a few more episodes at the least.

EDIT: Oh and also

Posted Image

Edited by Senn555
  • Brohoof 1

I agree. It's not MLP, but it's decent. It's kind of cheezy, and Blythe as a main character annoys me to an extent, but those are really my only full complaints after only watching the first episode. Seeing that the second one is better, I'm going to go watch it. The only true characters that reminded me pretty much instantly of MLP characters was Penny (why the heck do these pets have a first AND last name? I had to check Wikipedia just to know which ones which) which reminded me of Fluttershy and Minka who was obviously Pinkie Pie as a monkey. I'm glad Zoe wasn't anything like Twilight aside from her hair style. All of the other characters are original.

I can't wait until they come of with an excuse about why Blythe can talk to animals. Honestly, I'd prefer it if it was hinted that she wasn't really talking to the animals and it was all her imagination.

I can't wait until they come of with an excuse about why Blythe can talk to animals. Honestly, I'd prefer it if it was hinted that she wasn't really talking to the animals and it was all her imagination.

Well, if one so wishes to make the show better, someone posted this in the Vancouver Bronies Facebook group:

"My head canon is Blythe falls into a coma after falling in the dumb waiter and the rest of the show is her coma dream."

• Brohoof 1

I watched the first episode yesterday(not after MLP, but later) and I have to say I quite liked it. Blythe is a decent girl character, her dad is a crazy mother******, and the pet shop pets were pretty cute(hey, Pinkie Pie thought so too, she can't be wrong right?), and overall I'd say it's alright. I'll watch the second one soon. :)

• Brohoof 6

I had doubts when I saw it previewed. When it started though i found myself sitting though watching it. Still too early to tell if i'll continue watching or not. I had the same feeling when I started watching MLP. So I'll end up watching further episodes.

to be honest i actually sorta thought it was pretty good, i loved all the pet characters, mostly Zoe i also like Blythe's character and her reaction when she finds out she can suddenly talk to animals...i still don't get how that happened...but whatever, and those twins...grrr...i don't like them....-.-

well thats my say :3

Yeah I'll give the show a try when I'm not half dead and in need of sleep. I twill be easier to approach it with an open mind when I'm not completely exhausted. Thanks for the link, Zeno. :)

Caught the second episode on youtube and am quite liking the direction this show is taking. I think Zoe and Penny Ling are my favorite pets so far, but I like all of them. Blythe is a pretty fun character, too, kind of like a nicer version of Rainbow Dash.

I also like that they are starting to establish different personalities for the Mean Girl twins with Whitney (?) being the Alpha Bitch and Brittany her ditzy beta sidekick.

One thing that bugs though: in what universe would someone have a pet panda? Isn't it illegal to own them? And even if it isn't, wouldn't they be ridiculously expensive? I mean, aside from being (probably dangerous) wild animals, they are also extremely rare. All of the pets (besides Zoe) are somewhat exotic, but I've at least heard of people owning hedgehogs, monkeys, geckos (if that's what Terrio is) and even skunks (there was an episode of Pets 101 that talked about it) and mongooses (mongeese?) are sort of like ferrets, so I could kind of see that. Eh, whatever. I guess I will just have to accept this as a universe where pandas can be bought in petshops.

Btw, personally, I would love to have a pet panda, especially one like Penny Ling!

I mean, it isn't that bad, but in the stream I was watching the episode on, people just kept typing into the chat that the cat was Twilight, and that the panda was Fluttershy, I really don't see how you can make a comparison based on the first episode of the first series.

First impressions are neutral, but as with most shows the pilot exists only to introduce the audience to the setting and the main characters. My rule is to give a show at least three episodes beyond the pilot to establish itself before rendering any sort of judgment. I will say that I loved Zoe's song. DHX should keep Dan Ingram on for every show's musical needs. The animals are all kind of cool and I like their voices despite great similarity to MLP characters thanks to using many of the same VAs.

What I disliked the most is the style they use for the background scenes. I'm not fond of the human character designs either but it's nothing I can't deal with. Blythe's dad is an idiot. Not even an idiot in the funny way they're attempting, just irritatingly stupid. Some attempts at humor were too over the top or obvious to be funny.

As I said, I'll wait several more episodes before making a verdict. Right now it's one of those shows that I would watch if it was on, but not something I would seek out.

I've yet to watch it, and I reserve the right to hold judgement on it until I have.

That being said it kind of feels like a cash grab, I know that Hasbro's a company so of course it is but what I mean is it feels like they're trying to recreate the fandom that sprung up around MLP. And because of that it rubs against me in someway.

The fandom of mlp was very organic, grassroots even.

As I said I'll give it a watch then make judgement, but I'm going to wait for there to be at least 3 episodes that I can watch to make the judgement on.

I watched the first two episodes. Something that bothers me about the premise is, similar to Pound Puppies, the story hinges on the pets not getting new owners and just staying there forever. In Pound Puppies it is especially bothersome because the main characters are actively trying to get other dogs adopted, but not themselves?

My favorite part of the show so far is when the Biskit Twins MILDSPOILER MILD SPOILER MILD SPOILER

Disguise themselves as cats. For some odd reason, I found it super-cute with them decked out in catgirl facepaint and ears. They were actually disguised as "icky cats". And I am not into that kind of stuff.

Edited by GuillermoGage
  • Brohoof 1

I really liked the part where she went all crazy making animal noises. xD

Also, what if Blythe is just delusional, and she's just imagining all of the pets talking? o.0

• Brohoof 1

Is there any link to the episodes up on YouTube? If so can someone post it in here because I don't have any other way to watch it.

There's links to the episodes in the main post that I wrote. iTunes has officially released the episodes in 1080HD now, and someone was kind enough to buy them and post them on YouTube; I've edited the main post with the 1080 episode links.

I agree. It's not MLP, but it's decent. It's kind of cheezy, and Blythe as a main character annoys me to an extent, but those are really my only full complaints after only watching the first episode. Seeing that the second one is better, I'm going to go watch it. The only true characters that reminded me pretty much instantly of MLP characters was Penny (why the heck do these pets have a first AND last name? I had to check Wikipedia just to know which ones which) which reminded me of Fluttershy and Minka who was obviously Pinkie Pie as a monkey. I'm glad Zoe wasn't anything like Twilight aside from her hair style. All of the other characters are original.

Oh, hello Rarietty, I'd like to publicly ask you why you brohoofed my post just recently on page 3. Was it the comparison of the show to Pound Puppies, or was it the part where I liked the Biskit Twins disguised as cats?

Funny thing is, this show is so new that even the image search results of the whole Internet aren't drawing up many results for the Biskit twins.

Edited by GuillermoGage

Oh, hello Rarietty, I'd like to publicly ask you why you brohoofed my post just recently on page 3. Was it the comparison of the show to Pound Puppies, or was it the part where I liked the Biskit Twins disguised as cats?

Both. Kind of.

I thought about the Pound Puppies thing after I brohoofed you, it would make sense if Mrs. Twombly saw the pets as her own pets, (despite not being their literal owner, as shown when the pets are terrified of being sent to the Biskit's pet shop) and just kept them in the pet shop. Like how some pet store owners bring their pets to work to greet guests (or at least at the couple pet stores I've actually been inside.) I don't know why you'd put a monkey and a skunk in your pet store though. :huh: If Mrs. Twombly wants to actually sell then I agree with you.

The Biskit twins disguised as cats was awesome looking. I also like how human characters don't just wear the same thing over and over again like other cartoons.

Edited by Rarietty