Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Senn555

The last episode "Bad Hair Day" was more enjoyable than the two part pilot.

The Pink monkey, Minka, is a robot (or cyborg). :blink: A ROBOT! It's like Pinkie Pie mixed with Sweetie Bot. I WAS NOT EXPECTING THAT.

It seems the characters have a lot more about them than that which initially meets the eye.

It would also appear that a lot of the characters have extremely sophisticated mad-scientist-type abilities.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

Part bump, part wanting to display my thoughts on the past two episodes.

Gailbreak: Okay, so this is the only episode so that made me think, "Wow, this show may actually give MLP a run for it's money." The plot, although cliched (aren't all of the episodes for this show just massive cliches?) is an excellent setup for action and humor, and allows the characters to show off and develop. Who really shined in this episode though was Sunil, who is now best pet in my opinion. The music-including an extremely catchy earworm that will be compared to Babs Seed without a doubt-is excellent, and it showcased some of the most awesome background music I've may have ever heard in a kids cartoon during the scene when Sunil was fighting the "cobras". Also, some of the animation showcased here, as well as the references they made were really well done. So, yeah, this episode was truly by far my favorite. Good job M.A. Larson. 

Penny for your Laughs: Isn't it funny how this episode aired on the same day as Magic Duel? Because now humanized Trixie as a basketball player is totally now my headcannon. Aside from that, this episode....wasn't very good.

Okay, so this episode has two subplots, one centering around the pets and one centering around Blythe's typical teen subplot. I wouldn't mind this if these subplots were actually good, but sadly, they did indeed disappoint. I don't really care about Blythe as a character. All I see her as is an author avatar being used as a way to get the pets to talk/a typical teen character that girls could relate to. Therefore, I care about her less than the pets.

Now, about the pets, this episode (aside from the Blythe/Biskit subplot) was about Pepper accidentally upsetting Penny due to her use of insult humor, and then having to make it up to her. Yes, it is indeed as predictable as it sounds, but what really annoyed me was the jokes themselves. They weren't funny, and just plain bad insults. The "joke" that Pepper told to Penny that got her upset was hardly even an insult. Seriously, Fluttershy is like a tank compared to Penny's emotional imbalance.

Now about Blythe, the moral of her subplot really, REALLY annoyed me. We don't know why Blythe's friends hate the Biskit twins so much, nor if the Biskit twins are mean to everybody aside from Blythe. They're just snobs who are mean to Blythe, but recall back to the first episode. The first time the Biskits met Blythe they asked her if she wanted to hang out. They just wanted to be friends with her, but Blythe said no due to their snobbish attitude. The reason they're so mean to Blythe was because she rejected them and they're used to being given everything. Blythe's friends were being hypocritical and rude when Blythe started hanging out with the Biskits, but WHY? Are the Biskits mean to everyone? I mean, I get it if maybe they showed the Biskits as mean to everyone-like seriously everyone. Humanized Trixie the tall basketball player doesn't count. The Biskits seemed accepting of Blythe when they first met her. I think they have social problems, and they have no clue how to make or have friends so they "buy" them. I don't know about anyone else, but Blythe and her friends seemed more like the bullies in this episode rather than the Biskit twins. It's like Mysterious Mare Do Well all over again. This could have been a much better episode if it was handled like Griffon the Brush Off, if Blythe's friends hadn't given her the cold shoulder and at least tried to accept the Biskits. At the end, Blythe would still realize that her friends are her "true friends".

Finally, the two songs in this episode weren't very good either. The Biskit twins one was better, and had some good remix material, but was very "meh" overall. i strongly disliked the song that Pepper sang, and thought that the scene would have been handled better in a montage. It just was a very forced song, and Pepper's/Tabitha's voice just didn't suit it.

You know what's funny? This show has already spawned it's own version of Equestria Daily-The Pet Shop Insider- in only a few episodes. Like it or not, this show is going to be big, it just needs more time to improve itself.... and better plots...and Biskit twins as less unintentionally sympathetic characters. 

Edited by Rarietty
  • Brohoof 3

I've gotta say, I think Hasbro is onto something here.  I can't quite put my finger on it, as I haven't watched this show yet (though I'm probably going to soon).  But the fact that fans of FiM are taking a liking to the show definitely carries weight.

I had no idea about this show until just recently in fact. Maybe like Friday not last Friday but Friday as in 3 days ago. What attracted me to the show. < Check my Avatar. This girl Zoe Trent or whatever her name is really won me over. And maybe it was the color scheme or the Hair Style. Or perhaps it was that cute Beret type thing she wears. But I was like I just have to know more about this girl. So after watching the "Sleepless In Ponyville" episode. I watched almost every episode of this show. Only one I hadn't seen yet is that "Penny for the laughs" or whatever one yet. And let me just say  As of right now. I absolutely love this show. My favorites are Zoe (Of course) and what was that skunk's name who loves to make jokes, Pepper Clark was it?

So, with Zoe Trent clearly having owners of her own in "Bad Hair Day", and with every pet having specific second names, it appears that the pet shop is just like a daycare for them, or at least for Zoe, who is apparently around every time an episode happens.

Maybe that's how they will never be sold off as actual pets for sale?

The fact that we never really see them venture outside the Pet Shop without a human present does separate it from other talking animal shows.

I think they could balance the humans/pets dynamic decently enough. In a sense, the seven major pets are more close-knit than our ponies as a result of living together/sharing the same living quarters.

I really like them Biskit Twins and the barely-a-minute-long BFF song.

Edited by GuillermoGage
  • Brohoof 1

So, with Zoe Trent clearly having owners of her own in "Bad Hair Day", and with every pet having specific second names, it appears that the pet shop is just like a daycare for them, or at least for Zoe, who is apparently around every time an episode happens.

Maybe that's how they will never be sold off as actual pets for sale?

Yeah, that's how I assumed it worked. Otherwise they'd probably all be worried about being sold off. Their fears in the premier can therefore be seen in this light, as a "Oh no, they'll have to keep us at Largest Ever Pet Shop for daycare" sort of thing.

By the way, THIS GIRL needs to be the new Derpy. I know this picture doesn't look like much, BUT just rewatch that entire lunch scene in Penny For Your Laughs and focus on her. You shall see.

i-h9BQtsF-M.png

Edited by Stellafera

Watched episodes pretty decent show, the animals are so cute though :wub: .

I don't see the need for comparing it to MLP, well they do have two things in common.

-They share common Voice Actors.

- The air on the same channel.

Besides MLP was created for kids but adults can watch too, while LPS was intended well for kids only, but adults can watch it, it's just that it doesn't draw them in like MLP.  :)

love everything about the show except for Blythe's friends. god how i hate them, they are annoying. i didn't like the biskits at first, but they've totally, like, grown on me now. they are, like, really funny and likable. but blythe's friends just get on my nerves more and more as time goes on.

oh and Sunil is best pet!

tumblr_mdi31jcChR1r68h3w.png

just look at dat little face. d'awww *heart explodes*

Edited by crazitaco
  • Brohoof 1