How do you type?

LightRaider

How do you type?  

125 users have voted

1. 1. How do you type?

• Cherry Pick
    • All 10 fingers (correctly)
    • Other (?)

Hey guys, just a general silly question out of curiousity, how do you type? I personally type with all 10 fingers, and imo the correct way. I could not stand just typing with only 2 fingers, and is my #1 pet peve when somebody types like that.

• Brohoof 3

I can only type with my left hand, I use all five fingers. Most of the time I use the index and the middle finger. Thumb goes to the space and holding shift.

Can't really understand why others just love to use both of their hands to type things when one hand can do the same job while leaving the right hand standby on the mouse :wacko:

• Brohoof 2

I use all my fingers, I hated when I used to "Cherry pick" it would take so long to type a single message, I rather use all my fingers to type over 70 words per minute, than 15 words per minute.

Edited by Retro_Derpy

I can only type with my left hand, I use all five fingers. Most of the time I use the index and the middle finger. Thumb goes to the space and holding shift.

Can't really understand why others just love to use both of their hands to type things when one hand can do the same job while leaving the right hand standby on the mouse :wacko:

that has got to be the most unique way i've ever heard anyone type.

Due to a certain issue that I have, I typically type using only three fingers on both hands. My typing speed takes a huge hit, but at least I can get away with doing that without having excess hand pains. To be honest though, I usually type with no fingers and no hands. Speech to text is a wonderful thing. :D

I thought I used my 10 fingers to type, but I just realized that I don't really use all of them. Not even close actually. I only ever use two fingers from my right hand. I gotta work on my technique.

Here's a diagram of the fingers I use for typing

post-28-0-61173200-1350774373_thumb.png

(I'm not sure why I actually spent time making this diagram haha)

Edited by Marshmallow
  • Brohoof 1

I can cherry pick, and still type fast enough to be eligible to fall into the category of 'touch typing', and type just as fast as a fast person, who uses all ten fingers.

Discord don't need no full ten fingers. *shades*

• Brohoof 1

Believe it or not, I actually use just my nose and my tongue while typing. It allows for more flexibility and higher speeds than cherry picking. Sometimes I can get up to 120 WPM if I've got an extra pimple on my nose! It also gives me a nice break from staring at a keyboard instead of a screen, increasing the lifetime of my eyes.

Yeah, don't believe it.

I type with my index and ring finger on each hand and use my left pinky to hold shift. :P It sounds really inefficient as compared to typing with all 10 fingers, but I have a WPM of 95 so it can't be that bad.

I don't cherry pick, but I don't use all ten fingers either. I use all of my fingers except for my right pinkie, my left thumb, and my left ring finger. Weird...but it gets the job done.

post-8945-0-02625500-1350882856_thumb.jpg

7 finger method. no pinkies, and only one thumb - why would anyone being using both thumbs anyways?

I do use my pinkies when I need to use shift, ctrl, alt, tab, caps, enter, ect..

I took a typing class in highschool, which was pretty useful in hindsight - though I still don't use my pinkies at all. In all likelyhood because I'm never typing anything that requires great speed - still formulating what i'm even trying to say as i'm typing up a sentence, so great speed isn't of any use really. type sentence. pause and think. type next sentence.

the only use I can see for a full 9 finger method is in taking dictation from someone speaking. not somthing that I expect most people are going to encounter in 90% of keyboard usage.

Edited by Naphthol

I'm getting close to being able to touch type with all ten fingers and have no typos, but get messed up whenever I explicitly think about it.

I was never taught the proper way to type with ten fingers, so my hands are quite mobile when I'm typing.

It depends on what I'm doing but I prefer to type with just a few fingers whenever possible because it takes less brainpower to process.

I would use all 10 when I'm playing intense video games and I need to communicate with teamates.

Edited by khaine21x3

I cherry pick, but I've been typing on keyboards all my life, and I know where most of the keys are.

On my laptop that I use daily, I can type 63 WPM easily. Even when I'm typing on a keyboard for the first time, I still crank out about 54 WPM.

I use both hands. Index fingers only for letters and numbers.

Right ring finger to handle the non-letter buttons on the right (enter, backspace, etc.)

Right index finger to handle the touch pad (on laptop).

Left hand tends to handle the far left letters while my right hand handles everything else (IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN).

• Brohoof 2

I type with both my hands, but I use my left thumb for space, and type with only my index, middle and ring fingers on my right hand. Sometimes my pinky will help, hitting the backspace key or, more commonly, enter, but still just sits there like a dumb.

I typed that at 90 wpm fyi. So I type fast, just not as efficient as other people :3