How do you type?

LightRaider

How do you type?  

125 users have voted

1. 1. How do you type?

• Cherry Pick
    • All 10 fingers (correctly)
    • Other (?)

I thought I used my 10 fingers to type, but I just realized that I don't really use all of them. Not even close actually. I only ever use two fingers from my right hand. I gotta work on my technique.

Here's a diagram of the fingers I use for typing

post-28-0-61173200-1350774373_thumb.png

(I'm not sure why I actually spent time making this diagram haha)

That's probably about the same as me. I was taught almena in elementary school but it never really stuck. Sometimes the fingers I use for certain letters seem to be randomized. That said, I'm a very fast typer and never have to look at the keyboard.

I am currently on my phone so I am mostly typing with just my thumbs (obviously :P) but when I am on a computer I will mostly ccherry pick

I am currenty trying to learn to not do that however, it is quite difficult when one has done that all their life...

Like me :/

Edited by ~ds8~

I used to type with one finger... That was before I got high speed internet back in my room. After that I quickly learned to type properly.

I usually type with all of my fingers to type on a keyboard, considering as how I type really fast, at least that's how my teachers and classmates in college would think of me when it comes to typing. :P Although if I type a little TOO fast, I would end up leaving out errors.

Edited by Heavyshy

Two fingers on the board yeah that's my kinda typing

Loud hits don't quit two at a time yeah that's my kind of typing

I'm making typos all the time yeah that's my kind of typing

Looking at my keyboard typing

Praying mantis style!

Well, I type using two fingers.. :P 'Cause I'm lazy like that.

But anyways, cherry pick (is that what the two-finger thing is called?) is the easiest form for me to use. I've tried learning how to type with all 10 fingers, but it never really worked out. However, people still comment on how fast my typing is. So.....

Posted Image

...Not sure if I should like my Cherry Picking typing skills, or try to learn the real way.

Edited by Pixiesong

I usually type correctly since it was taught in school but sometimes I use one hand when I'm eating or doing other stuff like writing holding something and so on.

I don't have a pattern really, I just type. I am pretty quick though. I was never fond of those school classes that teach typing, because their methods seemed a bit....restrictive. It was actually forums that made me get better at typing. :)

I just bang my head against the keyboard until the correct combination comes out.

While very fun, it can cause damage over time, and may eventually break your keyboard. It's also very time consuming.

In all seriousness, I usually type with my two index fingers, and occasionally my thumb on the space bar. I don't have much co-ordination, and after five years in school of computer lessons I still couldn't type correctly.

I use all my non-thumbs to type the letters, and I use my left thumb to hit the space bar. My right thumb is completely useless whenever I type.

Also, all 10 fingers isn't necessarily the correct way to type. In most typing classes, you type with your non-thumbs and hit the spacebar only with the thumb on your dominant hand. Which is weird because I'm a righty.

Edited by moT

I don't have a pattern really, I just type. I am pretty quick though. I was never fond of those school classes that teach typing, because their methods seemed a bit....restrictive. It was actually forums that made me get better at typing. :)

were you also forced to hide your keyboard and use a typing program to be able to type without looking at the keyboard using the correct way?

• Brohoof 1

were you also forced to hide your keyboard and use a typing program to be able to type without looking at the keyboard using the correct way?

YES! Gah I hated that! The middle school that I went to had all sorts of little methods like that, like covers for the keys and such. Pretty pointless really.

• Brohoof 2

YES! Gah I hated that! The middle school that I went to had all sorts of little methods like that, like covers for the keys and such. Pretty pointless really.

It did work at least for one of us god I hated that program tough it made sentences only with those letters you were learning so they were like "i a a appl"

I use all ten of my fingers. It's easier and pretty much faster that way. Especially if you can type without looking at the keyboard [i'm the only one in my family besides my mum that can actually type without looking at the keyboard :P]

I was taught to type with all 10 fingers, and I HATED it. Couldn't get the hang of it. I usually type with 3 fingers, 2 to type mainly, and one to constantly push the space button. I sometimes use a 4th finger to press a button like Caps lock or Shift, but I mainly do the "pick and peck" technique, or whatever it's called.

Also, I usually use the two index fingers for typing and the thumb for using the Space button.

Edited by spas-ticShotty

It depends entirely on what I'm doing, when writing long pieces of text or having to write quicky I use all 10 fingers, when playing games I tend to type with just my left or right hand(depending on if I'm auto walking or still using wasd), when I have to type something in crarefully (such as a pin code or product key) I type with 7 fingers (3 fingers on each hand + 1 thumb(left thumb if it includes numbers, right if it doesn't). When I type on my iPad I type rapidly with just one finger, unless I'm typing a very long price of text, then I rotate the keyboard to landscape and type with 8 fingers (I leave out thumbs, opting to use them for stability on the iPad).

I also occasionally type with my nose or elbows, if my hands are full.

Think I use the most typing variations here, can I has award plox?? :P

Just a note, I can touch type with all but the last two methods :D

Edited by Lost

I "cherry pick", but in a different way than normal. I use around 6 fingers, but I don't memorize where the keys are. I just look at the whole keyboard, find the correct key, then whip the appropriate finger over to it, and press. It's a very fast and efficient process, believe it or not. xD I hope you don't hate me for it... D:

I never really pay attention to what I type. I mean, how I type. Let's see... let me take a loot...

Let's see... my left pointer finger, my right ring finger... come on, don't I type with anything else?

No, it doesn't seem like it.

What's Cherry Pick?

Also, last time I took a typing test, I came out at like, 56 WPM.

Edited by Kelvocity

I type using my two index fingers. I can type at 61 words per minute using this technique, or at least that's what it was the last time I took a test. The thumb of my left hand rests on the bottom of my keyboard while my index finger handles the space bar and 'hjkl' side of the keyboard, my left has all fingers elevated except for the index finger which is usually resting on a key. As you could expect my left hand covers the 'asdf' side of the board :L

I use 4-7 fingers to type. The majority of typing is done with my index and middle fingers, with others occasionally being used to hit keys they're close to. My hands move around a lot, so some keys get hit by either hand at different time, especially ones in the middle. Spacebar is always hit with my right thumb. I almost never use pinkies, except for my left pinkie, which hits shift, ctrl, and all those keys over there. I never use right shift/ctrl/etc unless I'm using one hand and the relevant keys are closer to the right (such as ctrl+alt+del).

I'm also not bad at typing one handed, as I sometimes do when my other hand is occupied (eating, using the mouse, jerkin' it, plugging in laptop cords, etc).

I type really fast with just thumbs, but there are plenty of typos. Luckily, iOS has pretty good auto-correct, though sometimes it does come up with totally stupid corrections, and sometimes, it's hard to get it to realize that you ARE spelling something correctly.