Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Game moments that made you cry

Lost Profile

(edited)

What do you think was the saddest moment in any video game? It doesn't matter from where, it can be from Call of duty, Gears of War, or Super Mario Galaxy. I personally say the saddest moment in a video game for me is from Mother 3 when you vs the Masked Man at the end of the game. At the final phase of the battle, the music sounds depressing (look up Mother 3 Ost It's the end to give it a listen), not to mention the battle dialogue, for example:

The Masked Man deals mortal damage to Lucas

Lucas began to cry

Lucas deals mortal damage to the Masked Man

For some reason Lucas felt heart broken

The Masked Man looked around, as if looking for something.

This type of dialogue you won't normally hear in rpg games. The Masked Man later turns out to be Lucas' brother Clause who has been killed in the beginning of the game

Edited by Chigens and Kay
Spoiled content.

(edited)

That battle was pretty bad, but the saddest moment for me was *obvious spoilers*

Isara's death in Valkyria Chronicles. I went into the game blind and tried to do a deathless run... The scene where she dies is one of the few points in gaming where I've cried...

Spoiled content.

(edited)

Yeah, this is easily the saddest thing in any game ever, right after one of the best boss fights ever. I think The Boss is my favorite antagonist from a game.

Put video in spoiler.
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Easily Telltale's The Walking Dead game. That game really brought out some sad moments, and the ending is just a massive tear-jerker, I'm assuming everyone has seen the ending since it's such a popular game. In fact, I heard it won the Game of the Year award for 2012.

Put video in spoiler.
  • Brohoof 3

Tried playing Heavy Rain years ago, the whole thing was... really bad in terms of emotion regardless of how the story pans out based on your in-game decisions. The entire game was quite an emotional train-wreck.

-----

Just a heads-up that I've merged your thread with this one due to their similarities.

When thinking about making a thread, please use the search function beforehand~

Also be sure to spoil your posts if they can ruin a game!

Oh god, I need to add The Last of Us to my list. The way this game presents its message of living one's life outside of simple existence is something that should be taught in schools. This game is so fucking good that I think it actually discovered the meaning of life.

And that last level... if you weren't in tears throughout the entirety of that last level, then you have no soul.

Final Fantasy X 

Such joy when Tidus kisses Yuna, then such sadness when he fades away and she loses him. I found it a very emotional story that I could re play over and over again.

Final Fantasy x-2 not quite as emotional, but its had moments.

Mikestar

(edited)

Dishonored made me cry inside. I got the bad ending (where the Empress is a cruel tyrant, and I, her instrument of fear), and it made me sad to see how far I'd fallen into darkness.

Edited by Windbreaker

No game has ever really made me cry

However, if any game came close, it was Portal 2.. But that would have been more from happiness than sadness

I'm not sure why that game got to me so much.

Could it have been the singing turrets? The friendship that developed between GLaDOS and Chell? The ending song? The story behind Aperture Science?
I have no idea why it made me so happy, it's just such a great game

To everyone in this thread who said Pokémon Mystery Dungeon, brohoof to you all. There were many. ;)

That ending was amazing. Won't spoil it for anyone, but the combination of music, writing, the little things that your partner's sprite does, and the past experiences they reflect upon, are part of what makes it my favourite ever Pokémon game. (Even a contender for favourite ever game in general). Especially the end credits... sweet Celestia, I just couldn't help shedding a tear :3 It was the sound of bittersweet triumph, celebrating the gift of a new future, albeit \coming at a heartwrenching cost - your life\.

And the entire story was equally as good. It isn't the most complex, but it was surprisingly intricate for a game that, at first glances, was a little chibi exploration game that you'd finish and say "Hmm. Decent!" and then proceed to play a non-spinoff Pokémon game. But no, it had really great features and genuine food for thought. I loved the whole "twisted future" thing, with villains that were either enraged to insanity, or pressured by the same rage; I loved the idea of a Time Gear regulating time in each region of the world, and the dangers associated with that; I loved the idea of someone reuniting with a friend even though they have no memory of that friend, whereas that friend has full memory of them. There were so many brilliant features to it; and the culmination of that to that superb ending would make it criminal for me not to nominate it as my favourite story in a game. (Sorry PW:AA...!)

Actually, a PMD2 fan and composer compiled some fan art that an artist used to depict the series of events leading up to the pair entering the portal. It's really heartwarming. <3

• Brohoof 3

Okay, I guess I'll have to be one of the few...

For me, the onevideo game story that made me cry was close to the end of the new Borderlands 2 DLC Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep.

watching her break down because of her realization that Roland died was one of the saddest things I've seen in a while, not to mention when she hugged the Statue of Roland and said goodbye to him is just one of the most heart-warming things I have seen in a game like that.

I literally cry everytime I finish it :(

(edited)

The only games that i recall making me cry were the endings in The Walking Dead and Metal Gear Solid 3 and 4. The Walking Dead with the knowing whats ultimatly going to happen in the last chapter and knowing that youre bitten and in the MGS games.... The scenes are just so beautiful and they just touch you, especially if you fully understand the story and history between the characters.

Edited by Saoshinkid

Cant say I've played games that made me "cry" but The Last of Us when I finished it I had to put the controller down and take a break. The game had several sad moments though the prologue had to be the saddest and most heart tearing moment of the game and I'll admit I did shed a tear. The game is filled with so much emotional moments especially the parts where Joel and Ellie are bonding.

• Brohoof 1

I came *this* close to crying at the ending to The Walking Dead.

(If you want the ending spoiled, read this.)

Clementine, your long time partner through the entire game... Has to shoot Lee as he's about to turn into a zombie. She cries as she needs to pick up the gun and pull the trigger. Oh, I tell you, I almost cried. I was VERY close.

Non-Spoiler version: Let's just say there's something very heartbreaking at the end.

Only a select few games ever made me cry. (Contains spoilers.)

Sonic Adventure. Both of them. - The ending of Gamma's story is a sad one. After having to destroy his "brother", he sacrifices himself to save the bird. The music is so sad too.

And the ending of SA2 was tear-jerking, even if the plot wasn't the best.

Call of Duty 2: Big Red One - It really gets you attached to the characters and some of them die, making you actually feel something.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - Any one of them.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

the last of us ;_; that is so heart breaking ;_; the story is just so ..... sad,that the infected are still living human beings,and at the start it's just ;_;  THE BIG RED ONE....WHY DI YOU HAVE TO GET BLOWN UP YOU STUPID NERD :(

Edited by Sal☢Mau5

(edited)

Every game in the main Metal Gear Solid series, I mean damn, Gray Fox, Emma, and don't even get me started on Snake Eater's ending

This sums it up for me. Almost every Metal Gear game has at least one of those moments that make me cry. Heck, you even feel bad for some of the bosses like Sniper Wolf, Psycho Mantis, and Fortune.

Another sad moment I had in videogames was the ending in Kingdom Hearts. I played it when I was young so my emotions were a lot more vulnerable.

Similarly, there are moments in videogames that made me cry in joy such as the ending to American Mcgee's Alice or the True Lover ending in Catherine.

MGS4 nuff said

Snake made up most of my childhood and to see him in such a weakened state left me heartbroken along with big boss's final speach and raiden's death.

Raiden doesn't die. If you watch the end of MGS 4, you'll see that Raiden is in a hospital bed being greeted by his wife and son. Heck, he even has his own game set three years after MGS4 called Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. Here's the first boss fight:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RypphRK14t8

Edited by SpadesOfDarkness

This sums it up for me. Almost every Metal Gear game has at least one of those moments that make me cry. Heck, you even feel bad for some of the bosses like Sniper Wolf, Psycho Mantis, and Fortune.

Another sad moment I had in videogames was the ending in Kingdom Hearts. I played it when I was young so my emotions were a lot more vulnerable.

Similarly, there are moments in videogames that made me cry in joy such as the ending to American Mcgee's Alice or the True Lover ending in Catherine.

Raiden doesn't die. If you watch the end of MGS 4, you'll see that Raiden is in a hospital bed being greeted by his wife and son. Heck, he even has his own game set three years after MGS4 called Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. Here's the first boss fight:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RypphRK14t8

I thought Rising wasn't cannon, as for him in the hospital bed i must've missed that but at least it's good to know he made it, and Olga is without doubt one of he top three most tragic characters especially as she can relate with the boss at having her child taken from her and being frced into a hard decision. 

• Brohoof 1

I thought Rising wasn't cannon, as for him in the hospital bed i must've missed that but at least it's good to know he made it, and Olga is without doubt one of he top three most tragic characters especially as she can relate with the boss at having her child taken from her and being frced into a hard decision.

Actually, during an interview on PAX Prime 2012, Metal Gear Rising was confirmed to be canon. It's just that they stated it's not part of the Solid series simply because of it's drastic change in gameplay. As with Olga, I also found her story tragic as well. Along with the beauties from Metal Gear Solid 4. Their back stories were just horrifying.

(edited)

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. It's probably the darkest game to be rated E in the United States, with characters not only saying "I don't want to die!" but also heavily grimdark elements such as Cremia willfully keeping her younger sister, Romani, unaware of their impending doom and even giving her Chateau Romani, the functional equivalent to alcohol in the game, to keep her unaware (this is hinted at further by their dialogue before the night of the final day; Cremia says "See you... tomorrow... OK?" while Romani says "See you tomorrow!") and Kafei and Anju wanting you to recover their wedding mask on the final day so they can spend their last moments in peace. It's like a grimdark Legend of Zelda fanfiction. On steroids. Then, there's this song... this fucking song... after you beat Odolwa, Goht, Gyorg and Twinmold for the first time in each save.

13 years later, it still gets to me. It perfectly captures the hopeless feeling of the game, yet at the same time it gives hope that Termina can be saved after all. They don't make games like they used to...

Edited by Daring
  • Brohoof 1