Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you think the fandom will change if there are more female bronies?

Clarity

Okay...here goes nothing. I'm about to get assaulted to no end....

My opinion is different from all of yours. I believe it will change quite a lot, actually. No sexism intended here.

What will change? I think....that....

I think that the popularity of Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy will decrease.

Stop! I know you're quoting me at this instant and giving your argument! I'm not saying that because these two are my least favorite of the mane six, though they are. I've got some evidence to back up with my claim.

Because RD and Fluttershy's personalities seem to appeal more to males. I've seen a hate stamp for Rainbow on deviantART, and people who agreed are mostly female. If the brony fandom is 50/50, I imagine that the ponies' popularity would be more balanced.

End of opinion....

*is scared* :(

Your dead to me.... Jk

I see exactly why that could be possible. Just because you say that somepony might get less popular doesnt mean that everyone will get mad at you :P Although, there might be a few. But I actually agree with you on this.

Edited by MrAwesomeness
  • Brohoof 1

My opinion is different from all of yours. I believe it will change quite a lot, actually. No sexism intended here.

Stop! I know you're quoting me at this instant and giving your argument! I'm not saying that because these two are my least favorite of the mane six, though they are. I've got some evidence to back up with my claim.

Because RD and Fluttershy's personalities seem to appeal more to males. I've seen a hate stamp for Rainbow on deviantART, and people who agreed are mostly female. If the brony fandom is 50/50, I imagine that the ponies' popularity would be more balanced.

End of opinion....

I agree with you, to a degree, that Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy appeal more to male bronies than the others do. If I had to choose one of the main six, I would probably choose Rarity because I'm a lot like her (flare for being dramatic and all). But I think you offer an interesting point. Either way, I think the writers will keep going exactly as they are and putting out quality episodes.

• Brohoof 1

I think so. The excuse "There is a whole community of dudes out there that enjoy watching My Little Pony : Friendship is Magic!" will become less and less useable. Although, because I don't use that excuse, I wouldn't mind if there were more female bronies/pegasisters, as it will probably tone down the hate for bronies as a whole, but not for guys. For guys it will be like "Haha, I can imagine a grown woman watching this, but not a grown man!"

That's how it would go, at least in my town. I have a weird town.

Hmm, I could see some change in the fandom. Since there is quite a mental difference between genders, I could see fan art being quite different than it is now, as well as current fanfics. Though most of the fandom would be unaffected.

I think haters would use the fact that there is a large portion of girls watching the show to try to attack us. Overall i don't think anything would drastically change though. It's just going to be more girls.

I think a few aspects would change, but not the fandom in general. Probably less girl-girl shipping and more male-male shipping.

Posted Image

I'm more into girl and girl shipping, and there's really not a lot of development on the male characters of the show for them to be shipped xD

(also that GIF :3)

I think it won't change much

The targeted audience wasn't based on gender, more likely age, I think it's just as weird for a 14 year old male to watch the same show a 21 year old woman would watch.

Worst case scenario:

Girls try to start their own group, for their own gender (even though I doubt highly this xD)

• Brohoof 1

I don't think it would change much. Honestly, when I think of Bronies, I think of guys watching a show most of the population thinks is for young girls. When I first got into the Brony thing, I didn't think about girl bronies. It seems quite normal for girls to watch the show. My .02

I foresee some of our many pubescent guys in the fandom letting their hormones get the better of them. Nothing dangerous or vulgar would happen I don't suppose, but lots of awkward and feeble passes born of curiosity that'll make the ladies want to leave.

Stop! I know you're quoting me at this instant and giving your argument!

Actually, I wasn't. This is a forum. The true purpose of a forum is protracted discussion involving all points of view, not flame wars or circlejerks. So long as you use some tact you can express yours too. Anybody who wants to fight over it only makes himself out to be a heel, possibly lending some unintentional credence to your perspective simply because you remained civil.

DeviantArt is little more than a glorified repository for artwork, and when people look around the site they're usually looking for something in particular. It stands to reason that there will be a very high amount of "circlejerk" discussions on such a site, as many like-minded people will find their way to the same content. Don't use DeviantArt conversations as a metric for the entire fandom. Many women I know who are bronies, or whatever they want to call themselves, love Rainbow Dash, and some of them love Fluttershy.

Technically their popularity will remain the same if none of their current fans abandon them and they don't pick up any new ones, but their popularity could change comparatively when the entire fanbase grows. Somebody should graph this.

• Brohoof 1

Well... I'm not really seeing any negatives here. :lol:

Jokes aside, I have actually met a good number of female brines (too bad they are all younger than me)

But I think that if we had more female bronies/pegastisters (whatever you guys prefer) then I think we would have a lot less negative rep on the internet, thus, less trolls.

I don't think they would weaken the structural integrity in anyway of the social structure, as long as they can support the show as much as possible alongside the fan base, that keeps our cause alive. And as long as it is, I'm okay with it.

/)

I don't see how it would be different. There's no arguing that 88% of the fandom is comprised of males; however, I think that the percentage of the fandom that creates fan content, regularly attends conventions, produces fan made merchandise, etc., based on what I've seen in photos and video, is a lot more closer to 50/50 as far as gender divide goes, so again, I don't think that more women joining the fandom would really change it. All that it would change is that more people would be enjoying the magic of friendship, and that's certainly not a bad thing, so I'm all for that!!! :)

Actually, I wasn't. This is a forum. The true purpose of a forum is protracted discussion involving all points of view, not flame wars or circlejerks. So long as you use some tact you can express yours too. Anybody who wants to fight over it only makes himself out to be a heel, possibly lending some unintentional credence to your perspective simply because you remained civil.

Mm, sorry about that. I wrote that because I didn't want people to argue right back without reading my entire post first... :P

DeviantArt is little more than a glorified repository for artwork, and when people look around the site they're usually looking for something in particular. It stands to reason that there will be a very high amount of "circlejerk" discussions on such a site, as many like-minded people will find their way to the same content. Don't use DeviantArt conversations as a metric for the entire fandom. Many women I know who are bronies, or whatever they want to call themselves, love Rainbow Dash, and some of them love Fluttershy.

DevART is just an example I found, I've seen some elsewhere, too. And I do think that Rainbow's personality would appeal more to males, it seems more right as she's tomboy. Males also love Fluttershy because they feel like they want to protect her because she's insecure and cute. Hence why so many people on this forum want to marry her :P

End of opinion....

Yeah, I second what you said about Rainbow. The female fanbase doesn't seem to like her as much, as say, me. And, honestly, I think Applejack's popularity would increase, which is probably a good thing for you, seeing how you like AJ and all.

• Brohoof 1

Um, I have run into a lot of females in the fandom, and I do not think it would change much at all, though most of the ones I have run into are on SecondLife, most of the haters I have run into are guys.

I think the fact that a majority of this fandom is male helps to fight the stereotype that guys can't like cute cartoons etc. Yeah I do also think its kind of ironic that there are female haters.

Edited by Flutterspace

• 8 years later...
On 2012-10-22 at 4:39 AM, Clarity said:

I've noticed that a lot of MLP haters seem to be female, which is quite ironic.

Really? Most of the haters that I know of are male. Females are usually more accepting of bronies than guys, but not always.

To answer your question, I don't think anything would be different if there were more females in the fandom.

• 7 months later...