Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you do when you're feeling sad?

Lightning Fluttershy

I personally try to find a way to take my mind off of it. I don't know whether it's healthy or not, but I find it handy to lose myself whenever my mood swings get harsh. Like, for example, looking up a clip from Scrubs and deliberately getting lost in the Scrubs section of Youtube.

Meh I usually RP alot. Those can be exciting and they take you away from reality lol. Because nobody likes reality-- unless you're rich lulz.

• Brohoof 2

Well doctors have made anti depressants, so those can help. Well to be honest I use to be depressed but I just pushed past it. But I get anxious in public so that sucks for me. Depression is a bitch, it's a part of life. But hey atleast we have the internet to get our minds off the sadness.

I usually just watch my favorite movie (Wreck It Ralph), watch my favorite show (MLP), or play my favorite video game (Portal 2). I also enjoy reading and working on schoolwork; my brain is usually more focused on my algebra and such. laugh.png  I also like talking to my friends; it keeps my mind off things I would rather not think about.

Frankly, most of the time I don't deal with my anxiety so much as avoid it. That's why I'm nineteen years old with no job, no driver's license, no lovelife, very few friends, and I'm in a community college despite test scores that could get me into pretty much any university short of the Ivy League. But somehow I manage to find an excuse to get up in the morning. I guess it helps not to think about it. I play videogames, watch anime, RP, anything that takes me away from reality really. Of course, this is only a temporary solution. I've been told that the best way to deal with it is to learn how to recognize those thoughts for what they are and when you do, you should be able to dismiss them. I don't know, I'm seeking professional help for my anxiety issues right now, so perhaps I'll have a better answer in a few weeks time.

In don't get anxious or feel low very often but when I do it hits me pretty hard and it's very noticeable to my friends, I'm normally a very lively and optimistic person. So when I get like that, it's normally very bad and I end up isolating myself a lot, fortunately it's quite a rare occurrence.

The solution? Video games. As far as I'm concerned there's no better way to block out reality than getting into a good game. By this I something akin to Bioshock: Infinite where I can really get involved in the game and the story. Sometimes a good multiplayer game like Planetside 2 is also a great way to just drift off. Books also work very well and a lot of the time I'll end up reading the Harry Potter series for the Millionth time.

• 2 weeks later...

Well when i do I normally just either play video games, or I vent to someone. 

Actually venting isn't as common as me just kinda stuffing it down and trying to forget it with games and music and stuff.

Sometimes I just depress myself more and listen to depressing music, because idk I just do no idea why, not that it helps much.

Video games work great most of the time if I'm mad, or sometimes they make it worse if I'm doing badly.

Really the best way is venting, but I don't like to do that all that often, and I also don't always open up to vent to people enough anyways, I still feel like a burden doing something like that.

I'm usually fairly depressed, some days I can't even think of a reason to get out of bed. 

But to get my mind off things, I try to play video games, or come on here and listen to music. though the best I've found (not kidding) Is watching a couple episodes of FiM. I'm 100% serious....it works.

though, sometimes I punish myself, and just listen to sad music, or read sad fanfics/comics /art. and it just depresses me even more.

Usually when I'm feeling depressed, I try my best to do something that will cheer me up. Like maybe I will listen to some music that I really enjoy, or I will maybe talk to some people on the forums or some friends in real life maybe.

I don't always experience such things. But when I do, I prefer to try to think about other things. It's not easy sometimes, but if I find the right topic, it works like a charm. Uplifting music also helps (Catus Carnival and Caduceus USA are pretty reliable).

Burning people to death also helps. In TF2, of course.

(edited)

Meditation really worked for me. I realize how hard it can be to sit still and not think about anything as you invariably end up thinking about something and then suddenly a million thoughts are racing through your head, so it can be quite the double-edged sword. What I do to avoid that from happening is focus on my breathing, maintain a steady pace and rather than focus on not thinking, I focus on one thing, one thing that I really want out of life and perhaps visualize it happening. It can be anything you want, even if it's completely unrealistic. I don't do it very often, but ever since I started doing it about a year and a half ago, I haven't felt depressed even once. I do get stressed out about things, but they don't get to me like they used to.

Edited by Freedan
  • Brohoof 1

I have built up this amazing (but also terrible) ability to shove such thoughts out of my mind, taking me to a state where I can almost completely ignore they're even there. Almost. But trust me, I'm way too good at ignoring these thoughts for far too long.

When they're about something that is very imminent, I have to find other ways because I'm not so good at chasing those thoughts away... The last time one of these happened, I watched a few random episodes of MLP and it actually helped to ease my mind. Otherwise I just have to try to push these thoughts out of my mind with thinking of something else.

If my mind is full of depression/anxiety I would usually chilax, then do some something that empties my thoughts, I draw and I enjoy drawing... it makes me feel productive since I'm not old enough to get a job and actually be productive. I'm not telling anypony to draw, its my hobby, find yours and enjoy it (playing games is a hobby too but its really cliche & I tend to avoid it).  You can even join a roleplay on the forums! it might sound silly first, but give it a try its more fun than most people think and depending on how your lifestyle is... hang with friends :3.

By the way... don't let depression/anxiety hold you down, season four is rumored to be around the corner, about a month or two.

I usually just play games or listen to music to cope with depressing thoughts, which does usually works for me. Music tends to work best though.

Usually i just watch youtube videos,hang out with family,play videogames,or listen to music!

Although sometimes it just doesn't help!

At that point i draw or play Ace Attorney!

I've been suffering from anxiety, and possibly mild depression for the entirety of 2013. I've seen doctors about it, and they're just shoving chemicals down my throat that don't really help at all. 

I actually find watching MLP a great medicine for anxiety, and depression. The show is just so comforting. The entire community is simply lovely. Becoming a brony is possibly the best decision I've made in life. I'm truly at peace :)(well, sort of...)

I usually talk to someone who cares about me, ex. My girlfriend. That is probably the best way to handle it.

Hurting yourself makes you forget about your problems for a short while, but it only gives you more anxiety.

Surprisingly enough, listening to DSBM helps me. Usually when I'm depressed, I think of self-harming, and listening to songs like "Tears Fill My Dying Eyes" by Waste of Life really help. Especially the scream at the start. It sounds like the scream of a person dying an extremely agonizing death. It makes me think "Do I really want to sound like that?" Or I vent to my girlfriend or my best friend or play Final Fantasy XII.

I believe everyone has dark thoughts, I have them constantly. Although I try my best to do things to keep my mind off of topics that usually trigger a depressive state. I do the usual, listen to music, write, read, draw, sing—Anything to keep my mind off of anything that can lead me to feel bad. Sometimes, none of those help, because at times it is best to talk things over with a trusted person. I'm very bad at expressing myself and usually bottle everything inside. So sometimes that is not an option for me...

I don't mean to be cheesy but getting into the MLP fandom has been a blessing in disguise. At my age, everyone looks at me and wonders why I'm still watching cartoons. I'm an "adult" and should be doing "adult" things. It is poppycock I say, watching a cartoon doesn't define whether your behavior is adultlike or not. Sorry, got a little off topic there. But really, these ponies have been a life saver.

Tarot has been a wonderful empowerment tool for me as well, assisting me in my writing, art, as well as life. As long as one wants to take their mind off of whatever is bothering them, causing them pain, they will be able to do so. At least, that's my opinion. It's most certainly difficult, we all have our inner demons, it is not easy to ignore them. All we can do is try though. :)

(edited)

I'm chronically depressed so depressing thoughts, anxiety and generally feeling like shit are no stranger to me.

What I do most of the time is just slap myself in the face and tell myself to cowboy up and deal with it. It's no use sitting in a rut the whole time so doing things that keep your mind focused on other things is great, although depression still can build up even if you try to keep your mind off it. Generally doing things that take lots of energy work most of the time, things like singing, working out, doing sports, dancing.

For some, doing calm and relaxing things work better than doing active things. Reading books, drawing, listening to music or watching videos or films might get you back in the game.

So generally doing things that make you forget about reality in a good way. Just losing yourself in the thing you are doing. Enjoying the thing you are doing at that very moment and forgetting everything else, that's what helps you get out of a depression. And that's different for everyone.

Despite doing all of those things, depression can still hit you hard and whatever you might do, it feels like overcoming depression might be impossible. At moments like these it's best to talk to someone, anyone really. Be it a stranger on the internet, a friend or a family member. Talking to someone can help you a great deal, heck, you can even talk in a mirror or to some invisible crowd. That helped me out countless of times.

As long as you don't let the depression get you there won't be any problem. But if you don't do anything about it, depression can cause self-destructive behavior and even suicide. And that's exactly where depression becomes very dangerous, if you get the feeling that whatever you do doesn't feel like it has any importance and you make a full-stop in your life. It's only gonna be downward spiral from that point on.

I don't really have any tips for that, I've been there a few times myself and the only thing that really helped me was therapy, medicine and the occasional illegal drug. It's at that very moment you might need to slam your head real hard against a wall and yell "What the fuck are you doing with your life! Stop being such a whiny bitch and pick up your life already, others have it way harder than me!". At least, that's what I did once.

Don't let depression get the best of you, just beat it away with your sheer willpower. Get your mind out of that dark mood and pick up where you left off. Similar to a system restore.

Edited by Winterbass

I've been depressed for six year. I was on medication for it, but I didn't like the feeling of a chemical controlling me and being dependent on it. I eventually stopped completely one day and it was by far one of the hardest things for me to do. I still have really bad desires to go back on it, but I know if I do I'll become dependent. MLP was a big factor in getting off of it. As for now when I get in one of those "moods" the best I can do is to kill my eardrums with loud music, draw, and really long and really hot showers XD

(edited)

My favorite technique for dealing with things like anxiety and depression is creative visualization.  Like imagining yourself in a place that makes you feel happy.  I usually add characters.  Pinkie Pie 99% of the time.

A common recommendation is talking to yourself the way that you would talk to someone else who was in your situation.  Saying the types of comforting and uplifting and encouraging things that you would want a friend to hear.  My twist on that is to imagine Pinkie Pie talking to me as my friend.  

How do I block out my Pinkie Pie obsession, you ask?  Well I am not even going to dignify that with a response. 

Edited by Shawn Parks
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

I had the exact same problem as you and how I deal with my bad thoughts is to imagine the thoughts In flames literally destroying the negative thoughts in my mind and replace them with positive thoughts like "I am a good person". I know how you feel but try what I recommended I hope it works for you good luck  :)

If this doesn't work though you might want to see a qualified therapist. 

Edited by NightOwl

Music helps me most of the time, but not dubstep or relaxation music, I mean music with real lyrics that really has a meaning to the song x3

Everything else doesn't help as much honestly, video games are fun and all but I don't have that many games that are exactly the like type of games that are supposed to calm you down xD (like CoD, Battlefield and every other FPS ;P) So yeah, basically music is my stress-reliever, and if music doesn't work then having a jog or a walk outside might help, getting some air to cool down my thoughts ;P

I used to deal with depression, but honestly the songs in Magical Mystery Cure make me SO happy. This show really changed me, no matter how embarrassing it is to admit x)