Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why Scootaloo can't fly

Phantom Wolf

I originally thought that maybe she was too young to fly, but Pound Cake can fly. So I was thinking, why can't she fly? Here are some theories :

Her wings are to small

Her bones are not hallow

She does not possess the magic that Pegasi have

Stunted growth

I'm just not 100% sure. Why do you think she can't fly?

• Brohoof 2

I was thinking it was because she was just a little slow for her age, like Fluttershy. Or possibly that her wings are smaller than they should be for her weight.
  • Brohoof 9

Because Scootaloo doesn't want to fly. She's too awesome to fly. She'd rather just ride her scooter. Heck, she can use her scooter to fly.

Seriously though, I've seen a lot of fanfics and comics and stuff depicting that Scootaloo can't fly and she's sad about it, but has she ever actually expressed distress and disappointment of her inability to elevate herself in the show? If my memory serves right, I don't think she did. So it's quite possible that she just can't fly yet, but it's not like it's killing her so.

Still, it's possible that she just isn't trying 'cause she doesn't care when she flies.

• Brohoof 5

Because Scootaloo doesn't want to fly. She's too awesome to fly. She'd rather just ride her scooter. Heck, she can use her scooter to fly.

Seriously though, I've seen a lot of fanfics and comics and stuff depicting that Scootaloo can't fly and she's sad about it, but has she ever actually expressed distress and disappointment of her inability to elevate herself in the show? If my memory serves right, I don't think she did. So it's quite possible that she just can't fly yet, but it's not like it's killing her so.

Still, it's possible that she just isn't trying 'cause she doesn't care when she flies.

I don't think it's that she doesn't want to, but she can't and is slightly upset. She does idolise Rainbow Dash and her flying. If she didn't idolise Rainbow Dash, I might agree, but I think she does want to fly.

• Brohoof 1

I can only speculate that flight, like cutie marks, happens at different times. At least Scoots has a healthy self image in spite of it, unlike Fluttershy when she was little.

I don't put too much stock in Pound Cake being able to fly, with Pinkie Pie hanging off of him no less. More than likely, whatever mysterious power Pinkie Pie has rubbed off on the Cakes giving them abilities far beyond what should be possible for tiny foals.

• Brohoof 3

Even though Scootaloo idolizes Rainbow Dash and her flying, no episode (currently) has ever depicted her as being sad or embarrassed that she can't fly. The only episode where I can recall that her flying handicap gets highlighted was the whole gossip episode where her picture of her falling into the mud puddle after attempting to fly was made as blackmail, but that was more of because Scootaloo was all dirty and goofy rather than the fact that she couldn't fly.

Scootaloo is too much of a daredevil to even care that she can't fly. She loves riding her scooter and performing extreme tricks, and that's all right with her. She has substituted flying with these sort of stunts that make her get around more easily.

Edited by Sephiroth
  • Brohoof 3

As far as I remember, Lauren Faust said that Scootaloo was handicapped. That would be a reasonable explanation why she cannot fly.

I think for some reason, Miss Faust hates Scootaloo if she says that she's handicapped, or she must be a troll...

Posted ImageLarun Faust: UMAD Scootaloo?

Scootaloo:Posted Image

Edited by Danger Dashie
  • Brohoof 5

Not to be a downer, but Lauren actually stated somewhere that she didn't want Scootaloo to have the ability of flight, therefore crippled.

Granted she can hover and with Lauren out of the picture, who knows, she may fly yet.<3

• Brohoof 3

She can't fly and yet she can use her wings to move her scooter quite fast even while pulling Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle around in the cart.

• Brohoof 1

Maybe she was never taught how to fly. I mean, Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash both learned how to fly in Flight camp. Maybe flying is something a Pegasus isn't born with, rather something they must be taught by another Pegasus.

Nobody really knows where Scootaloo came from, who her parents are, or even where she lives. For all we know she is an orphan who was never taught how to properly fly.

I don't think it's because she has little wings, because there is another Pegasus that has small wings: Snowflake

I don't know whether or not he can fly for sure, but if he couldn't fly, then why would he be helping with the Hurricane? Fluttershy isn't a very strong flier and she was there, and I don't recall Scootaloo being there.

I don't think it's magic either, aren't Unicorns and Alicorns the only ponies that can use magic?

Edited by Urdnot Shepard
  • Brohoof 2

It's my head cannon that she was raised by Earth ponies. She didn't have a Pegasus guardian who could teach her how to fly, and that's also part of the reason she lives in Ponyville and goes to an Earth pony school. Schooling probably has something to do with it too, as it seems like most pegasi go to flight school. They may learn how to fly there.

Edited by Rarietty
  • Brohoof 3

. Schooling probably has something to do with it too, as it seems like most pegasi go to flight school. They may learn how to fly there.

What's his name? Pound cake? Yeah, him, he is just a couple months old and he is already a strong flyer, he is also being raised by three earth ponies. I gonna have to say the problem lies with Scootaloo's wings, to me they seem more like a humming birds(quick fast little) instead of big strong ones like Dash's. Edited by zRevenantz
  • Brohoof 3

• 3 weeks later...

Watch her delayed wing growth become analogous to late puberty in an episode about kids "growing up" at different rates.

Eh, probably not, but I'm sure there are many tactful ways to approach it even in this show. Not that any amount of tactfulness or subtlety would appease some people. Besides, their delay in getting their cutie marks kind of tackles that issue already, which is an extremely clever way of handling it. Still, it was an interesting thought for the few moments it festered in my mind.

Lauren Faust had stated that she intended for Scootaloo to be handicapped... this would be the one thing I dissaprove of from her...

But, with her gone, and many things having already changed, I believe scootaloo WILL fly. I actually saw a season 3 promotional picture that showed Scootaloo flying, and I believe that it was forshadowing such an event... if only I had saved that picture.

• Brohoof 2

I'm going with the idea of Scootaloo being handicapped but I don't think she's bothered by it. Also the clue is in the name, perhaps she can't fly but she can rocket around on that scooter and perform tricks. That says to me that whatever her cutie mark will be it'll involve doing tricks on that scooter.

Basically I have the idea of Scootaloo being a Evel Knievel, except, you know she'll actually make her jumps.

• Brohoof 1

I've always just assumed shes handicaped with her wing and its like defected or something to the point where it can't fly. I don't really have a specific defect or something that causes it, but thats what I've always gone off of.

I know she can't fly though, because Lauren Faust already said that she couldn't.

• Brohoof 1

In my opinion for three purposes:

1. To add the physically disabled demographic. Makes them feel that Equestria has imperfections, just as they may feel they are to us (which they are not).

2. To show that even if you may want to do something (fly like RD), you may not be always able to, but you can hope.

3. Cutie Mark episode.

• Brohoof 3

I don't think it's because she has little wings, because there is another Pegasus that has small wings: Snowflake

Snowflake doesn't use his wings to fly, he uses his powerful muscles to push himself off the ground and into the sky.

#SnowflakeFacts

But, honestly, I think that they'll probably stick to the Scootaloo not flying because she can't thing.

But there's not really a need to be sad about it. Most of the people in her town are Earth Ponies, they can't fly, so I don't see why she'd feel left out.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, I heard about Lauren Faust saying that too.

I'll throw my hat in there right now (actually, Lemeza's hat, since I don't wear a hat) and say I think she was just kidding about that, because:

1 - That idea hasn't been mentioned directly in the series (and it looks like it isn't going to be mentioned).

2 - Scootaloo idolizes Rainbow Dash. So at some point she is going to want to learn to fly, simply because she wants to be like her.

3 - As much as it pains me to admit this, Lauren Faust simply isn't with the production team anymore, and nobody else on the team has mentioned anything like that.

Edited by SBaby