Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why Scootaloo can't fly

Phantom Wolf

First, let me ask you a follow-up question.  And it's kind of a multi-part question.

In Winter Wrap-Up, it is against the rules to use magic, right?  Pegasi are still able to use their abilities to remove the clouds and such during Winter Wrap-Up, right?  Therefore, that must mean, that particular ability cannot possibly be magic.  If it was, it wouldn't have been allowed in that episode, right?

Secondly, though not as important to my post, saying that Pegasi manipulate air currents and calling it magic are two completely different things.  It's like saying weather patterns are magical.  They're not using magic to do it.  It's just the way Pegasi work in this world.  And yes, I'm aware that ponies in Equestria have innate magic in them.  But having innate magic and using magic are two different things.  In D&D, Elves are magical beings, but not every Elf becomes a magic user.  And honestly, I really don't know what having innate magic would even have to do with a Pegasus' ability to fly, since they have wings to begin with.  This is the reason I said the magic thing with Scootaloo was more far-fetched.

Third, I was not being a 'jerk' at all.  Seriously, if you think I was being a 'jerk', I challenge you to go on Serebii and read some of the posts there.  Trust me.  I'm one of the nicest people on the Internet.  I was simply giving possible (and mostly plausible) solutions to what seems to be a growing issue surrounding one of the best supporting characters in the show (at least it's an issue among the fanbase, anyway).  In short, it was simple speculation.

Finally, I am with you when you said she doesn't have to learn how to fly.  She is fine the way she is.  And therefore, the whole issue of her being 'handicapped' doesn't need to be brought up.  But the fact is, it could end up happening, regardless of whether we want it to or not.  And if it does, then this is a way to deal with the issue.  If it happens, it happens.  No need to freak out over it.

Ok. First of all, you misunderstood what I meant. I admit it's my fault from the way I worded it, but I never meant to say Pegasi consciously use magic. Yes, as you said they have an innate magic, just as earth ponies have an innate magic related to nature. In Winter Wrap-Up, they're forbidden from using magic willing. If everyone was forbbiding from using any kind of magic, even innate magic, then earth ponies would also be debilitated from participating.

Second, everything has a reason. Are you familiar with TV Tropes? You know the trope "Magic A Is Magic A"? Everything has a reason to work the way it does, even magic. And you're trying to say that they can just control the air currents and the moisture in the air without magic? We, humans with all our heavy machinery can't do that. They do this through magic, and I'm sorry for not elaborating further but to me this seens so obvious that it is magic, I don't understand how you could possibly say it ISN'T magic. Could you at least tell me how else they do it then? Also, you seen to be completely disregarding everything I have written here before, about the biology of a pegasus, about physics. As I said before, they don't NEED magic to fly, it just allows then to fly better. The main problem I'm having with this discussion is how misinformed you seen to be. I understand that it's only a show, that we shouldn't be treating it so seriously. But we are treating it seriously for fun, and if you can't treat it as seriosuly as I am, then you have no place debating agains't me. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying you can't show your opinions. I'm just saying you can't possibly expect to win a debate if you don't have at least as much information about the subject as your adversary.

Third, comparing yourself to the heavy sinners does not make you a paragon of purity. Outside, you can be the nicest guy, but in a forum populated almost solely by good people, you need to learn some humility, or else you're one of the many jerks amidst the nicest people in the internet. Like me.

And finally, good that you agree. But in your first post you made it sound as if you thought that was the only possible solution.

And I realize I'm freaking out over nothing. It's one of my flaws. Do you know the difference between knowing you have a flaw and actively trying to improve upon it? Because, as bad of an habit as it might be, I like discussing with people. And we don't need to be enemies. The best part about debating is to, in the end, learn something new.

I know I'm gonna regret posting this. I have this terrible habit of making enemies at every forum I enter. I know soon I'll get calm and regret posting this. But I stand by my word. What I said, I want you to hear, even if it makes you hate me.

In Winter Wrap-Up, it is against the rules to use magic, right?  Pegasi are still allowed to use their abilities to remove the clouds and such during Winter Wrap-Up, right?  Therefore, that must mean, that particular ability cannot possibly be magic.  If it was, it wouldn't have been allowed in that episode, right?  Bear in mind, this isn't exactly a minor episode.  There was an entire ensmble number to go along with it.

Since I'm a supporter of flight and weather manipulation being partially magical at least, I'll throw in my two cents on this. You can check my post a page back or so to get my full views on the issue if you want.

I can't exactly prove that it is magical to the best of my knowledge, but if it was then I think you could justify its use during the Wrap Up in that they really can't complete it without the Pegasi clearing the clouds, blowing away the snow and going to find the birds that migrated. They need flight and weather manipulation to get rid of Winter in a way that they don't need Unicorn magic. In any case though they are still expending physical effort to do their jobs, so I don't think that they are violating the spirit of the thing.

Ok. First of all, you misunderstood what I meant. I admit it's my fault from the way I worded it, but I never meant to say Pegasi consciously use magic. Yes, as you said they have an innate magic, just as earth ponies have an innate magic related to nature. In Winter Wrap-Up, they're forbidden from using magic willing. If everyone was forbbiding from using any kind of magic, even innate magic, then earth ponies would also be debilitated from participating.

Second, everything has a reason. Are you familiar with TV Tropes? You know the trope "Magic A Is Magic A"? Everything has a reason to work the way it does, even magic. And you're trying to say that they can just control the air currents and the moisture in the air without magic? We, humans with all our heavy machinery can't do that. They do this through magic, and I'm sorry for not elaborating further but to me this seens so obvious that it is magic, I don't understand how you could possibly say it ISN'T magic. Could you at least tell me how else they do it then? Also, you seen to be completely disregarding everything I have written here before, about the biology of a pegasus, about physics. As I said before, they don't NEED magic to fly, it just allows then to fly better. The main problem I'm having with this discussion is how misinformed you seen to be. I understand that it's only a show, that we shouldn't be treating it so seriously. But we are treating it seriously for fun, and if you can't treat it as seriosuly as I am, then you have no place debating agains't me. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying you can't show your opinions. I'm just saying you can't possibly expect to win a debate if you don't have at least as much information about the subject as your adversary.

Third, comparing yourself to the heavy sinners does not make you a paragon of purity. Outside, you can be the nicest guy, but in a forum populated almost solely by good people, you need to learn some humility, or else you're one of the many jerks amidst the nicest people in the internet. Like me.

And finally, good that you agree. But in your first post you made it sound as if you thought that was the only possible solution.

And I realize I'm freaking out over nothing. It's one of my flaws. Do you know the difference between knowing you have a flaw and actively trying to improve upon it? Because, as bad of an habit as it might be, I like discussing with people. And we don't need to be enemies. The best part about debating is to, in the end, learn something new.

I know I'm gonna regret posting this. I have this terrible habit of making enemies at every forum I enter. I know soon I'll get calm and regret posting this. But I stand by my word. What I said, I want you to hear, even if it makes you hate me.

Before I start, I'll say this.  You're not gonna make an enemy of me.  It's virtually impossible to do that.  So there is no need to worry about that part at all.

Since I pretty much agree with your first point, as it's a reiteration of what I already posted, we'll move onto the next point.

The second point as you have said, being magical and using magic are two different things.  An Elven Rogue cannot cast spells, despite being of a race that is innately magical.  But that doesn't mean it can be explained so easily.  Even Twilight herself admitted in Feeling Pinkie Keen that some things simply cannot be explained.  She can explain that Pegasi manipulate the air to stand on clouds, but she can't explain why or how they do it.  As for the whole debate thing, I don't know that this topic was even intended to be a debate by the original topic creator.  It seems more like a theory topic.  All the topic question asked is, 'why can't Scootaloo fly?'  I don't know who made it a debate after the fact.  I was simply giving my input as to what I thought about the situation and how I thought it could be handled if it came up in the show.  My original post wasn't even a response or reference to yours. It was answering the topic's question.  But if it makes you feel any better, I am indeed still having fun with it.

I really wish we could do partial quotes.

Edited by SBaby

I don't know who made it a debate after the fact.

That would be me. Sorry for that, I just tend to treat every conversation as a debate. I love debating, I have studied about it, and there really aren't many times where I can really be intellectually chalenged in real life, so I take anyone in the internet saying they disagree with me as an opportunity to show how smart I am. I really shouldn't make everything a competition, but I rarely have a chance to do this, and it's the only thing I'm good at. Sorry for poor communication, since apparently you thought I meant to say that this whole thread was a debate, while I really meant to say that this specific conversation, between us, was some sort of personal debate. Understand?

All in all, I think we achieved the true purpose of any debate, and that is to adjust our ideas to the truth. Everyone has a piece of the truth, and by talking to each other, trying to understand each others ideas and philosophies, we can expand our knowledge, our world. We connect the dots, the wisdom everyone has. We connect our worlds. "The World Ends With You", y'know? To know the universal truth, one must not only know what is right, but also what is wrong. But in the end, I guess ours was a case of "violent agreement": we started talking to each other in an aggresive manner (well, I started), but now we both know that our ideas weren't much different to begin with.

Like most people said, she is basically crippled or just had no practice, and I'm pretty sure it's the former. She seems like she wants to fly, and I'm sure that she would somehow learn by practice if she had the capability.

• Brohoof 1

Like most people said, she is basically crippled or just had no practice, and I'm pretty sure it's the former. She seems like she wants to fly, and I'm sure that she would somehow learn by practice if she had the capability.

It's not confirmed that she is crippled in canon. The only important person to have ever said that is Lauren Faust, and she doesn't even work on the show anymore. And you can't say she's probably crippled because or else she would already know how to fly. For all we know there might be an episode focused on her learning how to fly.

But I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just saying, don't be so sure. It's ok to think something, but to affirm something without proof of it's truth is just bad.

It's not confirmed that she is crippled in canon. The only important person to have ever said that is Lauren Faust, and she doesn't even work on the show anymore. And you can't say she's probably crippled because or else she would already know how to fly. For all we know there might be an episode focused on her learning how to fly.

But I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just saying, don't be so sure. It's ok to think something, but to affirm something without proof of it's truth is just bad.

Sure ≠ fact. I can't see why, after all these episodes, Scoots didn't want to learn how to fly (assuming she [will] have the capability, of course) since she clearly is embarrassed about not flying (see Ponyville Confidential).

If she really wanted to fly and had the ability to learn, don't you think she would have already done so?

Sure, they could implement it if they wanted. I just see it unreasonable that, if she really isn't crippled, she only decided to learn how to fly now.

In Ponyville Confidential, she wasn't embarassed that she couldn't fly, she was embarassed about the fall she took. Those are different things, even if she only fell because she couldn't fly. And who said she doesn't want to learn how to fly? You're saying that she either don't want to learn how to fly or she's disabled, just because she doesn't talk about wanting to fly? As far as we know it's normal to be unable to fly at that age. All the pegasi in flight academy in Fluttershy and RD flashbacks seemed older than she is now, and considering she lives in an Earth Pony town, I'd say she might not have someone to teach her to fly properly (even a parent doesn't compare to a full-fledged school). There's much else I could say about this, but I'd rather not repeat myself. I already talked about this before, I recommend you read the rest of the posts on this thread from the start, not only mine, but everyone's else too.

If I could throw in my two bits on this, I would like to say something. I know a lot of people have been say that because Lauren Faust left the show, the writers can do what they want. But they still use her idea. Like in Baby Cakes, it was her idea to have mixed pony families. Also in Apple Family Reunion, it was her idea that Applejacks parents are dead. So to what it seems, the writers are still using her ideas. So it could be posable that they well keep Scootaloo crippled.

If I could throw in my two bits on this, I would like to say something. I know a lot of people have been say that because Lauren Faust left the show, the writers can do what they want. But they still use her idea. Like in Baby Cakes, it was her idea to have mixed pony families. Also in Apple Family Reunion, it was her idea that Applejacks parents are dead. So to what it seems, the writers are still using her ideas. So it could be posable that they well keep Scootaloo crippled.

Eeyup. I never said what she says doesn't matter. They're still using some of her ideas (though not all, as she wanted Cadance to be a unicorn). It just pisses me when people act as if her word was final. I'm not saying to disregard what she says, just don't immediately believe everything just because it comes from her mouth.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 months later...

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120723173145/mylittlebrony/images/2/26/Rainbow_dash_walking_by_astridautumn-d3lecv0.gif

if I may present exhibit A, please take note of the shape of a pegasi's wing

You'll notice the three large outer feathers, those are called the Primaries or Pinion feathers. Long stiff feathers that are essential to flapping flight as they are the priciple source of thrust, moving an avian up and forward through the air. As there are only three on any given pegasus, it's vital that they remain intact, this can be seen in May The Best Pet Win when our subject here is pinned by only a single feather and again in Wonderbolts Academy when a damaged Primary feather affected Rainbow's control to a noticable degree.

Scootaloo is missing one of these feathers.

It was lost during Hearts and Hooves Day when Sweetie Belle carelessly plucked it out for the purpose of making a love potion. Without this essential feather, even if flight were attained it would be lopsided and awkward, keeping Scootaloo effectively grounded.

(edited)

I got to thinking about this the other day and it was something that was said in the genetics thread that started it so here's my now 100% head canon with no facts what so ever and pure speculation

Scoots is not a pure bred... *chicken*...no..Pegasus

I think one parent is Pegasus while the other would be Earth Pony

I don't believe in the whole cripple theory.... she's too active and does not act like she has something disabilitating her.

But genetics would explain why its taking longer in her to develop

I think she's slightly heaver then a normal Pegasus maybe in the way of a denser bone structure there for its just taking her a bit longer then normal. But I have faith in her. She'll get flying someday

Well that's my take on it. I didn't go back and read any of the older post in case someone else said the same

Edited by Argumedies

(edited)

Hollow bones?  This would contradict other beliefs such as the fact that ponies do not have them as well, including pegasi.  They are not avians even if they have wings and can fly.

Otherwise Rainbow Dash would need more than just bandages and casings to recover from her everyday stunt turned crash routine.  Heck, probably all pegasi would have a very short life span just for this fact alone if bones had to be hollow.

Now unless someone from the show themselves tells me a pegasus living in a magical land has to have hollowed bones to fly then I can retract my opinion about it.  This includes being on a wiki from the show as well.

Oh ho, forgot about the main subject at hand.

Well, Scootaloo was not born in Cloudsdale, being that she needs to tend air flyers academy like Rainbow Dash did and learn to fly.  But this is just an assumption of mine.

Edited by Trixie the Greatest

Hollow bones? This would contradict other beliefs such as the fact that ponies do not have them as well, including pegasi. They are not avians even if they have wings and can fly.

Otherwise Rainbow Dash would need more than just bandages and casings to recover from her everyday stunt turned crash routine. Heck, probably all pegasi would have a very short life span just for this fact alone if bones had to be hollow.

Now unless someone from the show themselves tells me a pegasus living in a magical land has to have hollowed bones to fly then I can retract my opinion about it. This includes being on a wiki from the show as well.

Oh ho, forgot about the main subject at hand.

Well, Scootaloo was not born in Cloudsdale, being that she needs to tend air flyers academy like Rainbow Dash did and learn to fly. But this is just an assumption of mine.

First of all that depends on whether the argument is based on a creature such as a pegasus that would need hollow bones for flight or the reality of it just being what the writers want it to be. Either one draws a different conclusion

Logically they would need hollow bones, anything that flys whether its a tiny bird or a jumbo jet requires a size to weight ratio in order to maintain flight. And in the natural world this is accomplished through bone structure. Therefore a pegasus would need hollow bones for flight. Avain or not

Second. Hollow bones does not equal brittle. In fact most hollow structures are in fact stronger then their solid counterparts

These are the laws of Physics. And until someone presents me with a real pegasus pony bone that shows me otherwise. I'm putting my money on physics

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Yes well, we are talking about a show where magic is implied, so the fact that if something as heavy as a pony or any equine being a pegasus had hollow bones, I would think that might now work in my opinion. SImply put, magic is the reason on this show that can make ponies do what they are supposed to.   I would have to save money on that bet too.

Edited by Trixie the Greatest

Now if we want to talk that this is in fact just an animated show created for the soul propose of entertainment where the creators imagination can lead us to any number of conclusion and using the speculation that magic is an intended property in the explanation of its characters creations then yes... you are correct

• Brohoof 1

I'm going with the "lucky fin" idea, where her wings are too small to let her fly. Easy concept for everyone to grasp and the awesome song "Small Wings" would be even more relevant.

I am under the opinion that Scootaloo has smaller than average wings that is delaying her ability to fly, but she will learn eventually. Because of her small wings, however, she will never be able to fly as well as Rainbow Dash, but will have abilities similar to Fluttershy. (Maybe an episode where she learns she can't be like her hero, but has to accept who she is?)

(edited)

The whole weight issue could be one reason why Alicorns, who also have the characteristics of Earth and Unicorn ponies, have larger wings than normal Pegesus. I agree with a few theories. Her not being a pure blood Pegasus, having stunted wings, or not living in Cloudsdale. Not sure which is better.

Edited by Nature Spell

Yes I'm really leaning for the genetic theory that Scoots isn't pure pegasus

In fact I'm going to to as far as to say that her Father was Pegasus while her mother was an Earth... and here's why

First off I'm no expert in genetics so this is more edu-ma-caded guesses then anything else so if there are any real eggheads out there reading this, feel free to enlightin me

In a society where one gender outnumbers the other, there would have to be a dominant gene (but not necessarily a controlling one) but in the case of a pony we find that it would be the female gene.

You with me so far?

In the case of Scootaloo. If we are to argue the case that her problem with flight in her early years are due to that fact that her her bone and mass came from the dominate gene which would be her mother while getting the gene to be a pegasus came from her father but the dominate gene limits early stage wing growth

This would explain her whole situation far greater then just labeling her as disabled.

This would also explain why she lives on the ground.

But until they show us her parents this is all speculation

• 2 months later...

For me there are two reasons it could be.

1. Something is wrong with Scootaloos wings and she will never be able to fly. Like a defect

2. Nobody taught her how to fly.

We will probably get the answer to this question in season 4 judging from the animatics released at Comic Con

Edited by Super Derpy