Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why Scootaloo can't fly

Phantom Wolf

I reckon she can fly, but is aerodynamically unstable.

This could potentially make her very maneuvarable, but makes learning to fly very difficult.

I'd love to see RD tutor her, both of them would learn alot, and I reckon Scooterloo would probably become more agile than RD, but not as fast.

I think at the moment the producers are trying to keep going with the whole 'Cutie Mark Crusaders still haven't ''figure out'' what their special talents are.'

Honestly, I hope that Scootaloo realizes how much she wants to be a great flier like Rainbow Dash and actually sets her heart to making that her goal. And if, like stated by someone else, she really just can't fly, I hope her cutie mark has to do with her scooter.

• Brohoof 1

Lauren Faust had stated that she intended for Scootaloo to be handicapped... this would be the one thing I dissaprove of from her...

But, with her gone, and many things having already changed, I believe scootaloo WILL fly. I actually saw a season 3 promotional picture that showed Scootaloo flying, and I believe that it was forshadowing such an event... if only I had saved that picture.

I don't know, ever since I heard about Lauren Faust's position on the matter, I've actually been quite supportive of it myself. Her reasoning was that it'd be a great way to address overcoming your limitations and discovering your special talents and gifts, especially directing it toward handicapped or disabled people, and I'm still hoping that Studio B has remained true to Lauren's original vision (I actually think they might, since that commercial with Scootaloo did not technically show her flying, but rather simply releasing from her scooter in mid-air and spreading her wings).

Now, if they do decide to instead make an episode where she learns how to fly, will I be fine with that? Oh heck yeah; I'd be a little disappointed, sure, but it would still be quite awesome and inspiring to see Scootaloo learning how to fly. I'm just still very partial to Lauren's original vision for Scootaloo.

Posted Image

Edited by Batbrony
  • Brohoof 3

I don't know, ever since I heard about Lauren Faust's position on the matter, I've actually been quite supportive of it myself. Her reasoning was that it'd be a great way to address overcoming your limitations and discovering your special talents and gifts, especially directing it toward handicapped or disabled people, and I'm still hoping that Studio B has remained true to Lauren's original vision (I actually think they might, since that commercial with Scootaloo did not technically show her flying, but rather simply releasing from her scooter in mid-air and spreading her wings).

Now, if they do decide to instead make an episode where she learns how to fly, will I be fine with that? Oh heck yeah; I'd be a little disappointed, sure, but it would still be quite awesome and inspiring to see Scootaloo learning how to fly. I'm just still very partial to Lauren's original vision for Scootaloo.

Posted Image

I realize that it would be a great lesson and i am actually all for seeing a handicapped character.. but... I dont want it to be scootaloo... that would just be mean

• Brohoof 1

well as far as i can tell, each of the cmc will have a talent based on fame. sweetie bell's is singing, applebloom's is art and scootaloo's is dancing. she seems pretty good on her feet and on a scooter, so perhaps she cant fly because her cutie mark will be dancing?

Uhm... Are you guys all overlooking the fact that she's just a kid? And a little kid at that. I mean I didn't think pegasi went to flight school until they were a little bit older. I mean, durring the flashback when Fluttershy (and Rainbow Dash for that matter) were explaining how they got their cutie marks, all of the ponies looked a bit older.

Even if I am wrong on that last suggestion, she has never shown sadness or distress that she couldn't fly! She actually hasn't really even seemed to care, and has only attempted to fly once or twice.

I think that either Pound Cake was a prodigy, or all pegasi have bursts of flight when they were babies, which then settle down after they grow up a little. For some, flight comes very easily after that- but not for all of them, like with Fluttershy. I think that Scootaloo is in an awkward phase of development, and her wings are a bit behind her body growth, or she's just a little too young still.

Of course, there's always the possibility that she is handicapped... :/

• Brohoof 2

I think it's probably just so she's not flying around while the other crusaders are walking it gives them a sense of challenge when they go on adventures to not have someone who can just fly around. Also like what has been said before so they can have an episode where she does fly.

Don't really mind how they explain why she can't, I'm enjoying her as a flightless peg. Wouldn't mind her to start clumsily flying as she starts learning to fly (if it is just the fact she's too young to fly atm). Don't really want her to become a crazy super skilled flyer/carbon copy of Rainbow.

I've always seen Peg wings as somewhat magical and explain the baby cakes episode away with that.

• Brohoof 1

I remember seeing someone write about this and it made quite a bit of sense in that pegasi are born with the ability to fly, but then forget it when they get a bit older and must be taught it. This would explain how Pound Cake is able to fly, but Scootaloo cannot.

Because Scootaloo hasn't been to flying school yet to learn how to fly, but also because she's more into scooters right now, so she will most likely decide not to fly till she wants to do more then ride on the ground, but because she's scootaloo, she is most likely going to just get around by using her scooter.

I don't think it's magic either, aren't Unicorns and Alicorns the only ponies that can use magic?

Pegasi have passive magical abilities, such as the ability to walk on clouds. They can't control it, it's just sort of part of being a pegasus.

On topic, the only reason she isn't able to fly is because they want to make an episode about her learning (or at least rtying to learn) how to fly.

'Nuff said.

I've heard about this before from an interview with her somewhere on Youtube. I was quite saddened hearing this. But It would probably turnout to be an episode saying that having a disability isn't going to hold you back if you do what you love to do, (In this case, Scootaloo loves riding her Scooter and is happy with it.)

post-6089-0-36511500-1353458849.jpg

• Brohoof 1

i think shes hadicapped at the wing but i do think scotalloo does wanna fly but she wont let i get her down or possibly think it might come when she gets her cuite mark like unicorns also scootallo was blushing when she hovered and scince shes sorta a tomboy I dont think she was embrarresd about being covered in mud... but there was that privew of scotalloo in the air and it looks like she can glide with the scooter

Edited by pinkieshyrose

As Scootaloo is my favourite pony in the whole series, it would make my life if I could see her fly, for at least one scene in a episode. It kind of saddens me that she could be handicapped, but I feel that it's kind of a good thing, as her two best friends are an earth pony and a unicorn, and it would be kind of wrong to see her fly ahead of them when they're all together as a three.

I quite like the way Scootaloo uses her wings at the moment though, the way she propels them to gain speed when on her scooter.

Does Scoots' ability to momentarily hover in One Bad Seed change the course of this discussion at all? It's looking more likely that she'll be able to fly in time. At least in Ponyville she's not surrounded by all pegasi peers and being teased for being slow to develop as Fluttershy was.

• Brohoof 1

Just left for a later time. I am sure in some later episode she will get her cutie mark and probably start to fly. Maybe if they make the CMCs grow up a little bit and Scootaloo develops slightly bigger wings.

Rainbow Dash had her type of wings when she preformed her Sonic Rainboom. She can't fly because nopony has taught her. Rainbow Dash had no trouble breaking the sound barrier with her little wings.

It is a sad fact, scootaloo is crippled. Larun Faust said it herself. Although they may have an episode where she finally learns to fly, i do not know, we can only hope.

Edited by Rainbowdash20%