Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why Scootaloo can't fly

Phantom Wolf

It is said that Scootaloo is crippled, even though I can't recall anything mentioning that in the show, other than Lauren Faust saying it herself. But if this is true, then there should probably be an episode where the theme is to not let any obstacle stop you from reaching your dreams... or.. something like that.

Also, Scootaloo is a child, and hasn't been taught how to fly yet. Of course she can only have short bursts of flight, because she was never taught. She's more into her scooter anyway.

Not sure how much of this has been mentioned yet, since I jut skimmed a bit, but here's what I have to say.

It was mentioned in the episode with the newborn twins that, sometimes, they experience spurts of their abilities (flying and magic), but cannot use them in a stable manner. That would be why Pound Cake was able to fly.

I imagine that not all pegasi learn to fly at exactly the same time, or that some are just weaker flyers (look at Fluttershy).

I think that it would actually be great if Scootaloo really is handicapped. This gives more depth and reality to the show, because it acknowledges that not everyone is "perfect;" and with the way Scootaloo behaves, she can get around her disabilities, and she's not depressed about it. It's inspirational, really.

• Brohoof 1

It was mentioned in the episode with the newborn twins that, sometimes, they experience spurts of their abilities (flying and magic), but cannot use them in a stable manner. That would be why Pound Cake was able to fly.

You are kinda right. In the episode "Baby Cakes" Rarity and Twilight did worn Mr. Cake that Pumpkin Cake would have out burst of magic now and again. But when Rainbow Dash said, when Pound gets his wings going he will be all over the place. RD did not say anything about it only lasting a while. If anything she is saying that, once a Pegasus starts flying they well never stop. Don't know where people got the idea that the outburst are for both.

I think that it would actually be great if Scootaloo really is handicapped. This gives more depth and reality to the show, because it acknowledges that not everyone is "perfect;" and with the way Scootaloo behaves, she can get around her disabilities, and she's not depressed about it. It's inspirational, really.

I also agree with you on this, that Scootaloo should not be able to fly.

Edited by pinkiefan1287

You are kinda right. In the episode "Baby Cakes" Rarity and Twilight did worn Mr. Cake that Pumpkin Cake would have out burst of magic now and again. But when Rainbow Dash said, when Pound gets his wings going he will be all over the place. RD did not say anything about it only lasting a while. If anything she is saying that, once a Pegasus starts flying they well never stop. Don't know where people got the idea that the outburst are for both.

I also agree with you on this, that Scootaloo should not be able to fly.

But that's Rainbow Dash. She may not be as well-informed as Twilight would be on the matter, just because those are their personalities, you know? Even if that were the truth, maybe Pound Cake is a prodigy and learned to fly early. -shrug- That may be the case; who knows?

There you go. Lauren Faust said herself she never was designed to fly. Maybe now that Lauren isn't working with FiM anymore hasbro might change their mind tho. But we'll see :)

Thank you. I was looking for a credible citation and the only other comment from Lauren I was able to find on Scootaloo was "No reason. She just hasn't figured it out yet." which she posted on her Deviantart page. http://comments.deviantart.com/4/1603670/1897651329

I'm not sure what Lauren really means now. Did she flip flop? Or does it even matter now that she's no longer the head writer? Anyway, I have an opinion on Scootaloo: She has a flying disability which she may be able to overcome with some special training and sheer determination. And she'll never be able to fly like a normal pegasus. Look at people with cerebral palsy. They can be trained to walk but they have a distinctive gait and lack the full mobility of people without that condition.

To what degree will Scootaloo be able to overcome her flying disability? Only time, and the show's current writers, will ultimately tell. But I personally like the idea that Scoots will find another way to attain her destiny because true flight isn't possible for her.

it's not like her wings are crippled or wounded. She could propel her scooter with two other fillies on it

Posted Image

My bet is, as some already said earlier, no one ever taught her how to fly... yet

I agree with that, I think that her wings are very strong but she just doesn't know how to fly yet. Maybe someone will teach her someday like you said.

Thank you. I was looking for a credible citation and the only other comment from Lauren I was able to find on Scootaloo was "No reason. She just hasn't figured it out yet." which she posted on her Deviantart page. http://comments.devi...3670/1897651329

I'm not sure what Lauren really means now. Did she flip flop? Or does it even matter now that she's no longer the head writer? Anyway, I have an opinion on Scootaloo: She has a flying disability which she may be able to overcome with some special training and sheer determination. And she'll never be able to fly like a normal pegasus. Look at people with cerebral palsy. They can be trained to walk but they have a distinctive gait and lack the full mobility of people without that condition.

To what degree will Scootaloo be able to overcome her flying disability? Only time, and the show's current writers, will ultimately tell. But I personally like the idea that Scoots will find another way to attain her destiny because true flight isn't possible for her.

Exactly, but as i said. We'll see what happens now when Lauren isn't on the FiM Developing team anymore. Tho i 'm pretty sure the rest of the team will follow the most of Lauren's leads. :)

I think Scootaloo can fly. She did flutter her wings in "One Bad Apple" when Babs Seed took over the CMC tree house. Personally, I think she just needs somepony to take the time to teach her.

• Brohoof 1

Somehow, I don't think Chris Savino meant for Scootaloo to be literally equated with a chicken when Apple Bloom mocks her in Stare Master. Unless the creative staff had a discussion about Scootaloo and "either she can fly or she can't, there's no in between. Oh yes there is an in between: The chicken." And thus did a serious discussion about Scoots' ability to fly (or not) work its way into the show's script as a joke and the Bronies immediately picked up on it?

With that said, the kind of "flying" a chicken is capable of may be the perfect example of what Scootaloo can do in light of her limitations. I kinda like Scootaloo and I personally dislike the whole "Scootaloo is a chicken" meme. It seems condescending. But maybe it's not meant to be an insult and it's just an obvious comparison of Scoots' abilities to a real life creature.

Edited by Wingnut
  • Brohoof 2

I saw a commercial on the Hub giving us sneak peaks of Season 3, and one of the clips showed Scootaloo flying after jumping off her scooter. At least, that's what I remember. It's been a long day. :mellow:

Also a new pony who has the same potential of flying as Rainbow Dash!

With the amount of fluttering she's been doing recently, I can see her flying in the future. Either that or they will actually get around to addressing the issue of why she can't fly in the show. Seems like they want to progress the cmc characters as shown by the extra fluttering coupled with sweeties magic kicking in.

• Brohoof 2

I think you guys are overlooking the fact that she's a little kid. I mean, look at the flashback for when Rainbow was telling all the CMC's how she got her cutie mark. All of those ponies in flight school looked somewhat older. Have you seen any other ponies in their grade flying? I don't recall any, and if there were, that would leave more reason to think Scootaloo will be flying soon. She's probably just too weak to fly yet. That doesn't mean she has some birth defect, or is a chicken. It just means that she is a bit to young to start flying. That's all. No reason to get all crazy with insane theory's (although, my speculation is just a theory as well) and such.

• Brohoof 2

Well since Scootaloo hasn't been to flight camp yet she's not able to fly yet? I don't know I think that flight camp or that school Rainbow Dash went to are needed to completely master pegasus wings. Other than that Scootaloo did hover for a second in Bad Seed.

Whoever said she couldn't fly (other than Lauren Faust but she's not working on he show anymore)? Just because we haven't seen her fly doesn't mean she couldn't. Scootaloo flew a bit in the latest episode so she definitely can fly a bit.

I think you guys are overlooking the fact that she's a little kid. I mean, look at the flashback for when Rainbow was telling all the CMC's how she got her cutie mark. All of those ponies in flight school looked somewhat older. Have you seen any other ponies in their grade flying? I don't recall any, and if there were, that would leave more reason to think Scootaloo will be flying soon. She's probably just too weak to fly yet. That doesn't mean she has some birth defect, or is a chicken. It just means that she is a bit to young to start flying. That's all. No reason to get all crazy with insane theory's (although, my speculation is just a theory as well) and such.

I'd have to agree with you on the ages of the flight camp ponies.  Except for Rainbow Dash herself, all the other ponies were older looking.  It's just going to be interesting to see whether Meghan McCarthy honors Lauren Faust's original concept of Scootaloo having a flying disability.  At this point, Scoots appears to be progressing but time will tell whether that continues. 

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently Lauren Faust was going to make an episode about this. Scootaloo is apparently handicapped and she needs to learn that what she wants may not be her destiny. She has to stop worshipping Ranbowdash and realize what her true talent is. The show is about loving and tolerating anyone even if handicapped. 

• Brohoof 3

I have always wondered why she could not fly yet  :( .The reason could be multiple things from stunted growth, to her wings not strong enough to support her. But it is sad when you think that you were born to do something then to find out that you are not able to do what you were meant to do.

Edited by Gone ϟ Airbourne

Okay now. First, I wish for everypony to stop saying "well she flew a little in that episode so she can probably fly". While it is not particularly annoying, it is not a valid argument. Chickens in the real world can fly just as much, but if you can't mantain yourself in the air until you get tired, you can't be said to fly.

Now, from a physiological standpoint (Am I using the word physiological in the right context? Is it spelled right? I dunno, I'm just trying to sound smart), considering what we have seen of her so far, the only way she could be handicapped is if her bones weren't hollow, but that would mean she's ridiculously strong, considering the velocity with which she can flap her wings. In my opinion, ruled out.

The theory that she just needs to be taught to fly is a particularly good one, because, as many of you have pointed out, she's younger than any of the ponies that appeared in flight academy during the flashback. Alternatively, we don't know anything about her outside of her relations with Cherilee, the other schoolponies, and the Mane 6. The theory that she's an orphan, and/or raised by earth ponies/unicorns (nopony has mentioned that she could have been raised by an unicorn, which would have been just as likely a reason not to know to fly) holds certain weight. I say, "certain weight" because while not having somepony to teach you how to fly is a perfectly valid excuse for not learning, there are such things as prodigies, being born with talent, or even teaching oneself (should that be "ponyself"? I never heard that one before). Plus, if she indeed had a family of earth-stuck ponies, how hard would it really be to find some family friends that are pegasi to teach her how to fly? So the idea that she just haven't been taught yet? Valid. The idea that she doesn't has anypony to teach her to fly? I'd like to say ruled out but it might be the case (if the fact that she doesn't know anypony that can teach her to fly turns out to actually be the reason she can't fly, than it's easily solvable: some episode might show her in the flight academy or being taught by Rainbow Dash).

Regarding age and flight, one thing we need to consider is that doubling somepony's size will multiply it's strenght by 4, and it's weight by 8. So, even if not being a prodigy, it makes sense that Pound Cake could lift himself (he weights so little [being a couple monsts old and having hollow bones] even his baby strenght is enough to fly) while Scootaloo can't (the growth spurt increased her weight much more than strenght, and her muscles are still not fully developed), and then Adult pegasi can fly because their weight didn't grow as much as their strenght, as their muscles are finally fully developed. So, to summarize, it makes perfect sense for "Baby can fly, Kid can't fly, Adult can fly".

But then we have an interesting problem: Snowflake. While he has strenght to spare, more than enough to lift his body, his wings are far too small. My theory then is that all pegasi magically hover through the same innate magic that lets then walk in clouds, in a manner similar to a unicorns telekinesis, while using the wings as both propellers and to control where -and how- they fly. Note that all the laws of physics still apply normally to this situation: magic, as shown multiple times by Twilight, does require some level of strenght, which is mental for actual manifestations of magic (such as telekinesis or teleport) but physical to innate magic, like those of the pegasi and earth ponies.. This means that Snowflake is strong enough to hover and reach incredibly high speed- but his level of maneuverability is low and and he's slow to accelerate (as he's a bad flyer). Meanwhile, other pegasi have strong enough innate magic to stay still in the air, but not to actually fly: this they're capable of doing solely with their wings (something snowflake can't do). The result is that normal ponies with regular strenght but good wings have good-to-incredible (varies from pony to pony) maneuverability and acceleration, but low max speed. Rainbow Dash is an example of a pony with incredible flight skill and strenght, allowing her to excel in all: maneuverability, acceleration and max speed. And if you have following what I'm saying, you'll be asking yourself "but wouldn't this mean Scootaloo should be able to fly at least like snowflake does?" And the answer is, are you capable of drawing anything that comes to your mind? Flight, much like any other skill, must be learned, and I believe we have already touched upon this subject. But then you'll say "but what about Poundcake?", and I'll say "I'd never make an arguments with such obvious holes on it". Let's not forget the only thing everypony is born with: instincts. To fly is part of a pegasus instict, which is why Pound Cake can fly. When you completely start thinking, while they'll still be there in your mind, you'll mostly forget all of your least important instincts, that is: anything but self-preservation and reproduction (these two can too be forgotten, but that's the exception to the rule). Even instincts that would allow you to do things your conscious mind doesn't know, such as the pegasi flight or the unicorns magic, are forgotten, which is why they must relearn it. The part about forgetting how to do things that you did as a baby is true to humans, and so is the part about doing better when acting by instinct. Go play some sport that you're good at. It all comes naturally right? Now forget "natural", try throughly analyzing everything that's happening to you and around you, try to think what to do next, how to counter the adversarie's moves. Your brain can't think that fast, and you fumble on something you were supposed to be good at. So, to summarize, pegasi fly through innate magic but they must either do it by instinct, such as Pound Cake, or by learning it, such as with adult pegasi.

Now, on a meta level, we have to think about the group dynamics of the CMC. Notice how many times the Mane 6 is together and RD is at least partially offscreen, due to be flying. And despite being the most loyal of the group, she's also the most detached, who likes doing things by herself and doesn't mind keeping secrets from her friends, and that is very well illustrated in that even when she's close to all her friends, she is the one that's farthest to the others, due to being flying. When she's saying something important, or just generally being part of the group, she's always on the ground (such as when the Mane 6 are all on a table in "A Canterlot Wedding pt1"). Now, the dynamic of the Cutie Mark Crusaders is that they're pretty close as friends and as a group, almost to the point of the three being a single character, and this is perfectly illustrated on how close they are always to each other. Seriously, whenever the group is together but not doing anything special, they'll be side by side, almost glued together from how close they are. The three wouldn't be able to do that if Scootaloo spent most of her time flying, like Rainbow Dash does.

And to finalize, personally, I like the way she uses her wings to move around on a Scooter. It is interesting to see a pegasus wings being used for something other than flying, and I'm particularly remembered of Portgas. D. Ace from One Piece, who used his fire powers to power small and fast boat which he used as a mean of transportation.

Er... did I write too much?

Okay now. First, I wish for everypony to stop saying "well she flew a little in that episode so she can probably fly". While it is not particularly annoying, it is not a valid argument. Chickens in the real world can fly just as much, but if you can't mantain yourself in the air until you get tired, you can't be said to fly.

Now, from a physiological standpoint (Am I using the word physiological in the right context? Is it spelled right? I dunno, I'm just trying to sound smart), considering what we have seen of her so far, the only way she could be handicapped is if her bones weren't hollow, but that would mean she's ridiculously strong, considering the velocity with which she can flap her wings. In my opinion, ruled out.

The theory that she just needs to be taught to fly is a particularly good one, because, as many of you have pointed out, she's younger than any of the ponies that appeared in flight academy during the flashback. Alternatively, we don't know anything about her outside of her relations with Cherilee, the other schoolponies, and the Mane 6. The theory that she's an orphan, and/or raised by earth ponies/unicorns (nopony has mentioned that she could have been raised by an unicorn, which would have been just as likely a reason not to know to fly) holds certain weight. I say, "certain weight" because while not having somepony to teach you how to fly is a perfectly valid excuse for not learning, there are such things as prodigies, being born with talent, or even teaching oneself (should that be "ponyself"? I never heard that one before). Plus, if she indeed had a family of earth-stuck ponies, how hard would it really be to find some family friends that are pegasi to teach her how to fly? So the idea that she just haven't been taught yet? Valid. The idea that she doesn't has anypony to teach her to fly? I'd like to say ruled out but it might be the case (if the fact that she doesn't know anypony that can teach her to fly turns out to actually be the reason she can't fly, than it's easily solvable: some episode might show her in the flight academy or being taught by Rainbow Dash).

Regarding age and flight, one thing we need to consider is that doubling somepony's size will multiply it's strenght by 4, and it's weight by 8. So, even if not being a prodigy, it makes sense that Pound Cake could lift himself (he weights so little [being a couple monsts old and having hollow bones] even his baby strenght is enough to fly) while Scootaloo can't (the growth spurt increased her weight much more than strenght, and her muscles are still not fully developed), and then Adult pegasi can fly because their weight didn't grow as much as their strenght, as their muscles are finally fully developed. So, to summarize, it makes perfect sense for "Baby can fly, Kid can't fly, Adult can fly".

But then we have an interesting problem: Snowflake. While he has strenght to spare, more than enough to lift his body, his wings are far too small. My theory then is that all pegasi magically hover through the same innate magic that lets then walk in clouds, in a manner similar to a unicorns telekinesis, while using the wings as both propellers and to control where -and how- they fly. Note that all the laws of physics still apply normally to this situation: magic, as shown multiple times by Twilight, does require some level of strenght, which is mental for actual manifestations of magic (such as telekinesis or teleport) but physical to innate magic, like those of the pegasi and earth ponies.. This means that Snowflake is strong enough to hover and reach incredibly high speed- but his level of maneuverability is low and and he's slow to accelerate (as he's a bad flyer). Meanwhile, other pegasi have strong enough innate magic to stay still in the air, but not to actually fly: this they're capable of doing solely with their wings (something snowflake can't do). The result is that normal ponies with regular strenght but good wings have good-to-incredible (varies from pony to pony) maneuverability and acceleration, but low max speed. Rainbow Dash is an example of a pony with incredible flight skill and strenght, allowing her to excel in all: maneuverability, acceleration and max speed. And if you have following what I'm saying, you'll be asking yourself "but wouldn't this mean Scootaloo should be able to fly at least like snowflake does?" And the answer is, are you capable of drawing anything that comes to your mind? Flight, much like any other skill, must be learned, and I believe we have already touched upon this subject. But then you'll say "but what about Poundcake?", and I'll say "I'd never make an arguments with such obvious holes on it". Let's not forget the only thing everypony is born with: instincts. To fly is part of a pegasus instict, which is why Pound Cake can fly. When you completely start thinking, while they'll still be there in your mind, you'll mostly forget all of your least important instincts, that is: anything but self-preservation and reproduction (these two can too be forgotten, but that's the exception to the rule). Even instincts that would allow you to do things your conscious mind doesn't know, such as the pegasi flight or the unicorns magic, are forgotten, which is why they must relearn it. The part about forgetting how to do things that you did as a baby is true to humans, and so is the part about doing better when acting by instinct. Go play some sport that you're good at. It all comes naturally right? Now forget "natural", try throughly analyzing everything that's happening to you and around you, try to think what to do next, how to counter the adversarie's moves. Your brain can't think that fast, and you fumble on something you were supposed to be good at. So, to summarize, pegasi fly through innate magic but they must either do it by instinct, such as Pound Cake, or by learning it, such as with adult pegasi.

Now, on a meta level, we have to think about the group dynamics of the CMC. Notice how many times the Mane 6 is together and RD is at least partially offscreen, due to be flying. And despite being the most loyal of the group, she's also the most detached, who likes doing things by herself and doesn't mind keeping secrets from her friends, and that is very well illustrated in that even when she's close to all her friends, she is the one that's farthest to the others, due to being flying. When she's saying something important, or just generally being part of the group, she's always on the ground (such as when the Mane 6 are all on a table in "A Canterlot Wedding pt1"). Now, the dynamic of the Cutie Mark Crusaders is that they're pretty close as friends and as a group, almost to the point of the three being a single character, and this is perfectly illustrated on how close they are always to each other. Seriously, whenever the group is together but not doing anything special, they'll be side by side, almost glued together from how close they are. The three wouldn't be able to do that if Scootaloo spent most of her time flying, like Rainbow Dash does.

And to finalize, personally, I like the way she uses her wings to move around on a Scooter. It is interesting to see a pegasus wings being used for something other than flying, and I'm particularly remembered of Portgas. D. Ace from One Piece, who used his fire powers to power small and fast boat which he used as a mean of transportation.

Er... did I write too much?

This is really good. I like how you bring up flying being an instinct and how the body works. The only thing I am having a hard time accepting is that the baby pegasus, and unicorns are just going to forget one day that they can fly and do magic. I feel like people still think that the baby ponies are the same as human babies, but there are many signs that show that baby ponies are at least 10 times as smarter than human babies and baby ponies develop much faster. 

Here is what I know. Pound Cake and Pumpkin Cake are walking by themselves with in a mouth, (even thou a real pony can move in a few hours after birth) they have a much better attention spain than a real baby, like when Pinkie sings to them they are listening to her. They can eat from a bottle and can eat solid baby food. Both can make a solid word. They show many different types of emotions such as what makes them happy, sad, angry. The big emotion they have is guilt. In the episode they feel guilty for what they did to Pinkie Pie. This is something a baby not even a kid would never show for many many years. 

This last one is an odd ball idea, but it is a big sign of them being highly intelligent. When Mr. and Mrs. Cake leave for the party they have to go to, Pound and Pumpkin start crying. This is a sign that Pound and Pumpkin know who their mom and dad are. Now to what I know about babies, a baby knows who their mom is by the sound of the heart beat, but how would they know that Carrot Cake is their dad? It just shows they know a lot.

So with what I have shown I feel like it is hard to believe that they are just going to wake up and forget.

Also I feel like Pounds super strength is what is making him fly and I feel he will fly now until he can't any more.

I don't think it's because she has little wings, because there is another Pegasus that has small wings: Snowflake

I don't know whether or not he can fly for sure, but if he couldn't fly, then why would he be helping with the Hurricane?

As a matter of fact, Snowflake CAN fly. they show him flying inside of the tornado. he also shows up at wonderbolt academy too. so you're exactly right, its not that scootaloos wings are too small. and actually, if compared to other colts and fillies, her wings are about the same size.

--

i still think scootaloo may fly someday. she's just slow learning. and she's appears to be improving over time. and with rainbow dash as her new mentor, she may actually have a chance.

Edited by crazitaco
  • Brohoof 1

I'm fine with the theory that Scoots is handicapped. She doesn't have to be handicapped forever, as people have been told in the past that they'll never walk again, and through training, they overcome it and are able to walk. Whether Scootaloo overcomes this handicap or not is up to the writers, and could go either way at this point.

As for Pound and Pumpkin Cake, you may want to check out this article: http://www.cracked.com/article_18538_5-superpowers-we-all-had-as-babies-according-to-science.html

It basically goes over some powers that scientists say we all had as babies. If humans have these, ponies could have powers that they lose when they get older too.