Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why Scootaloo can't fly

Phantom Wolf

pinkiefan1287: Hmmmm. You bring up interesting points. While I feel like I'd have to agree with you, I still can't imagine the baby cakes still remembering how to fly and use magic as they grow older.

Spring Storm: As a matter of fact, I did remember that article while writing that wall of text I did there, and I was going to mention it, but ended up forgetting about it. Cracked also has other articles on how superhuman babies are.

pinkiefan1287: Hmmmm. You bring up interesting points. While I feel like I'd have to agree with you, I still can't imagine the baby cakes still remembering how to fly and use magic as they grow older.

Spring Storm: As a matter of fact, I did remember that article while writing that wall of text I did there, and I was going to mention it, but ended up forgetting about it. Cracked also has other articles on how superhuman babies are.

Wanted to talk about this here.

I do have 2 other idea as to why Scootaloo can't fly.

If Scootaloo did have a disability, that would mean she never did any flying during her baby age. So she would not have any memories what so ever of flying. 

Another idea I had is, what if her parents are both earth ponies and had a pegasus some where to like the Cake. But what if Scootaloo did not receive the proper nutritious during her growth in her mother. So her body would not be as strong as normal pegasus. Now this is just an odd ball idea and I don't have the whole thing worked out. Still this could be an idea as to why she can't fly.

What do u think?

Edited by pinkiefan1287

I think it's a really interesting idea. (I've gotta stop using the word interesting. I use it too much)

I feel kinda stupid for not considering that before, as I proud myself on counting on all possibilities. The idea that Scootaloo is malnourished is valid, and one that hasn't been brought up yet.

So, as of yet, there are two most likely possibilities:

1) Scootaloo is malnourished

2) The baby Cakes are prodigies

I still think the second one is more likely, as filly Twilight showed nowhere as much magical capacity as Pumpkin Cake, and the fact that nopony in the show has mentioned Scootaloo inability to fly, at least to me, means that it is not unexpected for her. On the other hand, if the baby Cakes really were prodigies, somepony would have mentioned that by now, and also Rainbow Dash, Rarity and Twilight already knew they'd show great capacity to fly and use magic as soon as seeing then in the hospital, meaning their abilities are most likely not that far from usual.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's a really interesting idea. (I've gotta stop using the word interesting. I use it too much)

I feel kinda stupid for not considering that before, as I proud myself on counting on all possibilities. The idea that Scootaloo is malnourished is valid, and one that hasn't been brought up yet.

So, as of yet, there are two most likely possibilities:

1) Scootaloo is malnourished

2) The baby Cakes are prodigies

I still think the second one is more likely, as filly Twilight showed nowhere as much magical capacity as Pumpkin Cake, and the fact that nopony in the show has mentioned Scootaloo inability to fly, at least to me, means that it is not unexpected for her. On the other hand, if the baby Cakes really were prodigies, somepony would have mentioned that by now, and also Rainbow Dash, Rarity and Twilight already knew they'd show great capacity to fly and use magic as soon as seeing then in the hospital, meaning their abilities are most likely not that far from usual.

I think I am the only person who has come up with the idea that Scootaloo is malnourished. Don't know why no one else came up with that idea. Still more info maybe needed for this to work.

1. Are her parents 2 earth ponies or 1 earth pony and a pegasus?

2. Is there a certain way a baby pegasus grows while in the mother?

Now I have alway been a big supporter for them being prodigies. I'm just not sure if Twilight or the other knew they would be prodigies. They were most likely saying they may do small things. Still who knows.

Let me ask u this now. During Apple Family Reunion, we saw a baby Applejack. She was able to lesson and respond to a question. So with that we can say a baby pony can maintain information much better. That being said, we can say a baby pony would be able to maintain the info to remember how to fly. So if Scootaloo never flew during her baby age she would not know how to do it when she got older.

Still only an idea.

Meh, Im actually thinking that they wanted to make a story (cutie mark story or for the sake of the character) with Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo, which I, personally think would be cute <3. Anyways, it isnt really a big problem...

I feel like I'm a bit late to the punch, but I'll put my two cents in anyway.

Lauren Faust herself confirmed that she'd wanted to make Scootaloo handicapped. It was supposed to be either an acceptance/tolerance episode where she learned that life didn't need to revolved around her inability to fly and that she should, and could, persevere. Personally, I think that would have been the episode where Scoots would have gotten her (most likely scooter related) cutie mark. I admire Lauren for wanting to take such a brazen step and make a character who's life would have revolved around flight very firmly grounded. It would have been a very good episode for the children who do watch the show.

BUT, my dear brony, Scootaloo is (possibly) scheduled to fly this season. When Lauren left a lot of changes happened in her absence (I.E. Cadence being made an Alicorn) and (rather ugly) official vectors have been in circulation of her flying. So, either she's going to fly, or, Hasbro's marketers aren't paying that much attention to the show. Either way, boo.

Hope that helped. ^^

• Brohoof 1

You have to remember that Rainbow Dash is going to be spending a lot more time with Scootaloo now. Maybe you're right; maybe pegasi need to be taught how to fly. Most animals with wings need to be taught how (ex. Branching with owls). Cherilee is her sister, last I heard, and so she's being raised by an Earth pony who obviously can't teach her how to fly. Now that Rainbow Dash is going to be around her more often, maybe she'll start learning. And I'm pretty sure we've seen her sort of fly before, if not just glide around a bit.

It could be related to a cutie mark episode, or maybe she's just too young. I remember in Baby Cakes when Pound Cake flew, but by the look on Pinkie's face, it wasn't normal. Sorry if I sound stupid, but I think she's still too young.

EDIT: Okay, I just heard that Lauren Faust said that she wanted Scootaloo to be handicapped, so I guess I'll just drop the subject and believe that. 

133876506498.png

Edited by Vallo

BUT, my dear brony, Scootaloo is (possibly) scheduled to fly this season. When Lauren left a lot of changes happened in her absence (I.E. Cadence being made an Alicorn) and (rather ugly) official vectors have been in circulation of her flying. So, either she's going to fly, or, Hasbro's marketers aren't paying that much attention to the show. Either way, boo.

Hope that helped. ^^

Lauren's words carry weight but they aren't binding.  What has been the track record so far of honoring her original characterizations? 

Of the two I know of, they seem to be 1 for 1. 

1.  Cadance, originally a unicorn, was made an alicorn.

2.  Applejack's parents are deceased.  That idea was retained. 

Anything else along these lines I might have overlooked?

At this point, almost anything seems to be possible for Scootaloo.  She may only be able to "fly" like a domesticated chicken.  She might be able to stay in the air, but still be a weaker flyer than Fluttershy.  Maybe she'll only get to fly for one episode, courtesy of a temporary flight spell.  Or maybe they'll throw out the whole "she's handicapped and will find another way to reach her dreams" concept out.  I like the lesson Lauren was trying to teach with a flightless Scootaloo.  But if she does become a normal flyer,  it won't doom MLP:FiM any more than an alicorn Cadance did. 

Ok. After some absence and continued research on the subject (GOD, I love long words!) here are my new conclusions.

According to Twilight's Technobabble in Hurricane Fluttershy, Pegasi fly not by pushing the wind to below them (or at least not only doing that), but rather by manipulating the moisture of the air around them. This explains why they can stand on clouds as if they were solid objects (although other flying animals have also been shown standing in clouds, meaning they too share this inherent magic). This more or less confirms my theory  that they flew using magic, but the other half of my theory is not affected (if you want to know what theory I'm talking about, I posted it in another thread, but don't worry, it's irrelevant, at least at the moment).

Basically, what that means is... irrelevant. That does not at all affects why Scootaloo can't fly. But I'm posting it here anyway for good measure.

Finally, there's something I realized just a while ago, and it's really a blow to my ego that I couldn't think of something so simple before: Scootaloo "disability" (as I have stated before it's nigh impossible that she has any physical disability) is the lack of natural magic power inherent to flying animals. Granted, I don't believe on that, but all possibilities must be considered.

I am still of the opinion that baby pegasi eventually lose their capacity of flight and must them be taught how to fly again, and that Scootaloo must have flown as a baby. However, Pound Cak​e specifically, I don't think he'll forget to fly, because he appears to possess super strenght, and let's not forget that one of the key factors of flying is the capability to hold up your weight on flight.

I'd like to bring up the fact that Sweetie Belle (a filly Unicorn) situation with Pumpkin Cake (a foal Unicorn) mirrors that of Scootaloo (a filli Pegasus) with Pound Cake (a foal Pegasus), but this thread is for discussing pegasus flight abilities, not anything else. Besides, I believe anything that we discover about pegasus flight will be true about unicorn magic.

Yes as some have stated, Lauren said scootaloo was to be handicapped. After all, not everypony can be perfect. To make up for it, they gave her a great personality and awesome skill on a scooter. Otherwise I don't know if she'd be the same scootaloo I love now.

Yes as some have stated, Lauren said scootaloo was to be handicapped. After all, not everypony can be perfect. To make up for it, they gave her a great personality and awesome skill on a scooter. Otherwise I don't know if she'd be the same scootaloo I love now.

Well, Scootaloo is hardly what one would call "perfect", even if she could fly. Besides, as of now, Lauren Faust no longer has any bearing on the show. Accepting what she says as truth is understandable (see Word of Dante on TVTropes), but let's remember that the show may contradict her word later, as they did with Cadance. Besides, the fact that no one in-show has acknowledged Scootaloo inability to fly makes me think it's normal for her age.

• Brohoof 1

Well from doing a little looking around both here and on other corners of the internet, there are two distinct possibilities that I think we can all agree on. Either:

i) Lauren Faust's original idea that Scootaloo is unable to fly, presumably on a permanent basis, is true, and our little Scoots will never fly. She may buzz around like she currently does, but she will never properly fly.

ii) She struggled a little more than most fillies her age, but she is making improvement (hovering in Babs' episode) and with the help of Rainbow Dash, she will fly at some point.

Personally, I think it will work out quite well either way. Having her flight impaired forever would be sad, but her getting over it would be amazing character development for her and the other crusaders, as I imagine they would come together to help her deal with it. On the other hand, if she does learn to fly I can imagine this forum will explode with excitement. The few seconds of Sweetie's magic and Scoot's hovering sent everyone wild here. Both could feasably lead to her cutie mark.

I think Faust is probably building up for Scootaloo to fly. We may never know when she will able to fly yet. But under the tutoring of flying under Rainbow Dash's wing, she will able to fly. A perfect pegasus to teach Scoots how to fly, especially since Dash knew her how to fly since she was a filly and plus she did the Sonic Rainboom.

I don't think It would be sad for her to never fly. She's a good character either way.

As I have stated before, it is highly unlikely that she really is disabled physically. My reasoning for that is a few pages back, And while I understand if you don't want to go search for it, don't expect me to repeat myself. Warning though: it's a Wall of Text.

Now, regarding if she'll ever fly in the show, I'm not sure. I can totally see they doing an episode where she learns how to fly in some season (specifically, I think this can only happen in the first episode focusing on her of any given season). But even if she'll someday learn how to fly, I can still see the show never even bringing up the subject, considering it's an episodical cartoon. Hasbro intends the episodes to be seen in any order.

I don't think It would be sad for her to never fly. She's a good character either way.

As I have stated before, it is highly unlikely that she really is disabled physically. My reasoning for that is a few pages back, And while I understand if you don't want to go search for it, don't expect me to repeat myself. Warning though: it's a Wall of Text.

Now, regarding if she'll ever fly in the show, I'm not sure. I can totally see they doing an episode where she learns how to fly in some season (specifically, I think this can only happen in the first episode focusing on her of any given season). But even if she'll someday learn how to fly, I can still see the show never even bringing up the subject, considering it's an episodical cartoon. Hasbro intends the episodes to be seen in any order.

I think Faust is probably building up for Scootaloo to fly. We may never know when she will able to fly yet. But under the tutoring of flying under Rainbow Dash's wing, she will able to fly. A perfect pegasus to teach Scoots how to fly, especially since Dash knew her how to fly since she was a filly and plus she did the Sonic Rainboom.

Wrong. Lauren doesn't even work on the show anymore. Although the people that are working on the show may do what you thought.

Edited by SOHCAHTOA

All right. I'm going to share my personal headcanon on this, and flying in general. Feel free to disagree.

I think that flying is connected to two things: both some sort of unique form of magic that Pegasi are able to access through their wings, and the physical strength of their bodies that determines how fast and powerfully they are able to fly.

For me this would clear up several things. For example Scootaloo has been shown to generate insane amounts of thrust with her wings as we see every time she rides a scooter. This leads me to believe that she has the physical component down in spades, but due to some unknown disability she lacks the magical connection that enables flight. This magical connection is in my mind what also allowed Pound Cake to fly so early, his connection dramatically waxed and waned because of his youth, similar to how his sister experienced surges of magic.

Scootaloo is then contrasted with someone like Fluttershy, whose flight magic functions just fine but is somewhat lacking on the physical end of things.

When you put together high-level ability to access flight magic with someone who has trained themself athletically you get someone like Lightning Dust, Rainbow Dash or Spitfire.

So that's why I think Scootaloo can't fly, although she may be able to in the future, I'm not running the show fortunately for us all.

• Brohoof 1

It can't be because her wings are too small or about weight.  Snowflake/Horse Power can fly despite his massive size and small wings.

I surmise that it is either because she is handicapped or does not know how to fly.

All right. I'm going to share my personal headcanon on this, and flying in general. Feel free to disagree.

I think that flying is connected to two things: both some sort of unique form of magic that Pegasi are able to access through their wings, and the physical strength of their bodies that determines how fast and powerfully they are able to fly.

For me this would clear up several things. For example Scootaloo has been shown to generate insane amounts of thrust with her wings as we see every time she rides a scooter. This leads me to believe that she has the physical component down in spades, but due to some unknown disability she lacks the magical connection that enables flight. This magical connection is in my mind what also allowed Pound Cake to fly so early, his connection dramatically waxed and waned because of his youth, similar to how his sister experienced surges of magic.

Scootaloo is then contrasted with someone like Fluttershy, whose flight magic functions just fine but is somewhat lacking on the physical end of things.

When you put together high-level ability to access flight magic with someone who has trained themself athletically you get someone like Lightning Dust, Rainbow Dash or Spitfire.

So that's why I think Scootaloo can't fly, although she may be able to in the future, I'm not running the show fortunately for us all.

That's exactly what I believe on, and something I have brought up priorly (althought fragmented, with more words then needed, and divided between a few different threads). You did a good job on surmising it, and you could come up with this on your own though. Great minds think alike, I guess.

Also, reading your signature immediately made me imagine making a dark blue pony with a rainbow cutie mark, just for troll.

• Brohoof 1

Not to be a downer, but Lauren actually stated somewhere that she didn't want Scootaloo to have the ability of flight, therefore crippled.

Granted she can hover and with Lauren out of the picture, who knows, she may fly yet.<3

Oh god I hope there is a source for that... Because I would be utterly depressed if Scootalo never flies O.O That would totally dash my image of Scoot

Oh god I hope there is a source for that... Because I would be utterly depressed if Scootalo never flies O.O That would totally dash my image of Scoot

Faust doesn't work in the show anymore. It is not confirmed in canon that Scootaloo is disabled, but remember, the opposite is also not affirmed. So, don't need to be so worried, but if she ends up being right, don't tell me I said it was a lie. For now, it is just a not-truth, which is not a lie.

Faust doesn't work in the show anymore. It is not confirmed in canon that Scootaloo is disabled, but remember, the opposite is also not affirmed. So, don't need to be so worried, but if she ends up being right, don't tell me I said it was a lie. For now, it is just a not-truth, which is not a lie.

I would never think of calling you a liar for that :) I just hope that it is not true. Scootaloo has just so much beautiful fan art about her becoming a great flyer some day it would break my heart. 

http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&global=1&q=scootaloo+wonderbolts#/d4bms75 

Related

I can understand why people are divided on this subject.  I'm not here to say which side of the debate I'm on.  But I do understand why people would feel the way they do about the situation.  In fact, I think I have the solution to this predicament.

Scootaloo has an episode where it turns out that she is indeed handicapped and thus cannot fly.  Either her wings are literally handicapped, or the magical MacGuffin force that enables Pegasi to fly isn't as apparent in her.  Regardless, she is stuck on the ground.

If the first is true, then Scootaloo undergoes surgery to repair the aforementioned damage.  She spends time in the recovery ward and knows that while she'll fly some day, she'll have to work hard to become fully flight capable.  It would be a pretty good lesson about not giving up when life deals you a bad hand.

If it's the second case (and honestly, I'm not as convinced it would be, as this case is a bit more far-fetched and nothing in the canon has yet mentioned anything about Pegasi having magical powers), then the solution would be something akin to the Elements of Harmony or possibly another pony using magic to jumpstart her innate magical MacGuffin so she can fly like the other Pegasi.  Or it could be something she has to do herself (it's more likely she has to do it herself, if this is the case).

The nice thing about these scenarios is that it acknowledges what Lauren had in mind for Scootaloo, while at the same time allowing her a chance to bounce back from it, making both sides of the spectrum happy in the process.

Edited by SBaby

I can understand why people are divided on this subject.  I'm not here to say which side of the debate I'm on.  But I do understand why people would feel the way they do about the situation.  In fact, I think I have the solution to this predicament.

Scootaloo has an episode where it turns out that she is indeed handicapped and thus cannot fly.  Either her wings are literally handicapped, or the magical MacGuffin force that enables Pegasi to fly isn't as apparent in her.  Regardless, she is stuck on the ground.

If the first is true, then Scootaloo undergoes surgery to repair the aforementioned damage.  She spends time in the recovery ward and knows that while she'll fly some day, she'll have to work hard to become fully flight capable.  It would be a pretty good lesson about not giving up when life deals you a bad hand.

If it's the second case (and honestly, I'm not as convinced it would be, as this case is a bit more far-fetched and nothing in the canon has yet mentioned anything about Pegasi having magical powers), then the solution would be something akin to the Elements of Harmony or possibly another pony using magic to jumpstart her innate magical MacGuffin so she can fly like the other Pegasi.  Or it could be something she has to do herself (it's more likely she has to do it herself, if this is the case).

The nice thing about these scenarios is that it acknowledges what Lauren had in mind for Scootaloo, while at the same time allowing her a chance to bounce back from it, making both sides of the spectrum happy in the process.

First of all, the canon has mentioned that they fly thorugh magic. Not only did the show creator have mentioned that EVERY pony has some sort of inherent magic, but Twilight explicitly states that pegasi fly by controlling the moisture in the air.

Second, she doesn't need to ever learn to fly. We already like her as a character, and saying she needs to fly to be happy is the same as saying wheelchair-bound people can't be happy.

Third, I have already pointed out how it is impossible for Scootaloo to be physically impaired. I'm not gonna repeat myself on why, just read my page 4 wall of text. If you can't do even that, you have no place in a serious debate (what I'm saying is, read all that before answering, or else you'll just be making a fool outta yourself).

Fourthly, read your post aloud. If that start didn't sound extremely pretentious to you then you really need to learn what's pretentious. You didn't read all the posts in a thread with 5 pages, you talk about us as if there were only two sides of our argument, and you talk about not picking sides as if it somehow put you above us. Without any information on what we said you assume you have come up with an idea none of us was capable of coming up with in 5 pages of discussion, and it's even more insulting considering how misinformed, simple and wrong your idea was.

Seriously dude. I try not to argue with people I realize won't learn anything anyway, but you don't seen like such a bad guy. You just overstimated yourself, and I do believe you can at least learn from this, otherwise I wouldn't be posting this. You're one of the least annoying jerks I've found on the internet, but a jerk is a jerk. If you can learn from your mistakes, good. If you'd rather tell me you're wrong, than try to do so. There's nothing I love more than a good debate. However, as much as I love an audience, unless you plan to explain how I'm wrong and your initial theory is right, or unless you agree with what I said about why scootaloo can't fly, don't post it here. If it's going to be personal, pms exist for a reason.

EDIT: And I know how much of a jerk I am being myself in this post. But I couldn't just leave it the way it was. I, at least, am being a jerk to someone who deserves.

EDIT2: In hindsight, I apologise for my manners in this post. You didn't deserve someone being this much of a jerk to you, specially since you weren't doing anything on purpose, and you wasn't even being a jerk to anyone specifically. However, while I apologise for what I said, I do not retract my previous statements.

Edited by SOHCAHTOA

First of all, the canon has mentioned that they fly thorugh magic. Not only did the show creator have mentioned that EVERY pony has some sort of inherent magic, but Twilight explicitly states that pegasi fly by controlling the moisture in the air.

Second, she doesn't need to ever learn to fly. We already like her as a character, and saying she needs to fly to be happy is the same as saying wheelchair-bound people can't be happy.

Third, I have already pointed out how it is impossible for Scootaloo to be physically impaired. I'm not gonna repeat myself on why, just read my page 4 wall of text. If you can't do even that, you have no place in a serious debate (what I'm saying is, read all that before answering, or else you'll just be making a fool outta yourself).

Fourthly, read your post aloud. If that start didn't sound extremely pretentious to you then you really need to learn what's pretentious. You didn't read all the posts in a thread with 5 pages, you talk about us as if there were only two sides of our argument, and you talk about not picking sides as if it somehow put you above us. Without any information on what we said you assume you have come up with an idea none of us was capable of coming up with in 5 pages of discussion, and it's even more insulting considering how misinformed, simple and wrong your idea was.

Seriously dude. I try not to argue with people I realize won't learn anything anyway, but you don't seen like such a bad guy. You just overstimated yourself, and I do believe you can at least learn from this, otherwise I wouldn't be posting this. You're one of the least annoying jerks I've found on the internet, but a jerk is a jerk. If you can learn from your mistakes, good. If you'd rather tell me you're wrong, than try to do so. There's nothing I love more than a good debate. However, as much as I love an audience, unless you plan to explain how I'm wrong and your initial theory is right, or unless you agree with what I said about why scootaloo can't fly, don't post it here. If it's going to be personal, pms exist for a reason.

EDIT: And I know how much of a jerk I am being myself in this post. But I couldn't just leave it the way it was. I, at least, am being a jerk to someone who deserves.

EDIT2: In hindsight, I apologise for my manners in this post. You didn't deserve someone being this much of a jerk to you, specially since you weren't doing anything on purpose, and you wasn't even being a jerk to anyone specifically. However, while I apologise for what I said, I do not retract my previous statements.

First, let me ask you a follow-up question.  And it's kind of a multi-part question.

In Winter Wrap-Up, it is against the rules to use magic, right?  Pegasi are still allowed to use their abilities to remove the clouds and such during Winter Wrap-Up, right?  Therefore, that must mean, that particular ability cannot possibly be magic.  If it was, it wouldn't have been allowed in that episode, right?  Bear in mind, this isn't exactly a minor episode.  There was an entire ensmble number to go along with it.

Secondly, though not as important to my post, saying that Pegasi manipulate air currents and calling it magic are two completely different things.  It's like saying weather patterns are magical.  They're not using magic to do it.  It's just the way Pegasi work in this world.  And yes, I'm aware that ponies in Equestria have innate magic in them.  But having innate magic and using magic are two different things.  In D&D, Elves are magical beings, but not every Elf becomes a magic user.  And honestly, I really don't know what having innate magic would even have to do with a Pegasus' ability to fly, since they have wings to begin with.  This is the reason I said the magic thing with Scootaloo was more far-fetched.

Third, I was not being a 'jerk' at all.  Seriously, if you think I was being a 'jerk', I challenge you to go on Serebii and read some of the posts there.  Trust me.  I'm one of the nicest people on the Internet.  I was simply giving possible (and mostly plausible) solutions to what seems to be a growing issue surrounding one of the best supporting characters in the show (at least it's an issue among the fanbase, anyway).  In short, it was simple speculation.

Finally, I am with you when you said she doesn't have to learn how to fly.  She is fine the way she is.  And therefore, the whole issue of her being 'handicapped' doesn't need to be brought up.  But the fact is, it could end up happening, regardless of whether we want it to or not.  And if it does, then this is a way to deal with the issue.  If it happens, it happens.  No need to freak out over it.

Edited by SBaby