Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Twilight Sparkle Alicorn/Princess Speculation [SPOILERS]

ponyvangelist

614 users have voted

1. 1. Would you approve of Twilight becoming an alicorn?

• Yes!
    • Maybe...
    • NO.

I know this has come up in various forms before and in several different threads, but with the release of the Season 3 Preview, I find myself revisiting this question, and consider the new information to be of great significance in advancing this particular thesis.

Since Season 1, Episode 2, I have suspected Twilight is being groomed for something very big, and the Season 3 preview strongly hints at this, when Celestia tells Luna that "she will succeed at her task, and when she does, we'll know that she is that much closer to being ready."

Ready for what, exactly? That's what intrigues me, considering the many hints we have already been given throughout the series.

A Light In The Dark

post-2150-0-39337300-1351837402.jpg

First off, there's the symbolism, which dates back to Lauren Faust's initial concepts for the show. Celestia is the Princess of the Day, and Luna is the Princess of the Night.

Twilight falls between day and night, and can be thought of as both dividing and uniting them. Indeed, as the first pony to assemble the Elements of Harmony in a thousand years -- a power even Celestia can no longer summon -- Twilight Sparkle defeated Nightmare Moon with the help of her friends and reunited the Regal Sisters.

Night and Day brought together by Twilight.

Power Unequaled

post-2150-0-41251800-1351837627.jpg

Though all of Twilight's friends are required to activate the Elements of Harmony, their power cannot be unlocked without the Element of Magic. Each element has an amulet through which it is channeled, save the Element of Magic. Its power is channeled through a tiara, a crown, and only it can complete and control the power of the Elements.

Twilight is the bearer of the Crown of Magic and the wielder of the Elements of Harmony, the most powerful magic known to ponydom. That is a position of immense power, and with it comes important responsibilities.

Defender Of The Realm

post-2150-0-77861100-1351837859.jpg

Three times twilight has been entrusted with saving Equestria: against Nightmare Moon, a smoke-snoring dragon, and against Discord. Though she was initially rebuked for distrusting the false Princess Cadance, Princess Celestia eventually charged Twilight to use the Elements to defeat Queen Chrysalis.

In the end the Elements could not be used when the Changelings captured the Mane Six, but it was Twilight who freed the real Cadance and enabled her to combine her power with Shining Armor, thus saving Equestria a fourth time. Without Twilight's direct, repeated intervention, Equestria would have fallen.

Now she has been tasked with saving the Crystal Empire. Not alone, of course. Celestia has gone to great lengths to ensure Twilight never faces such immense challenges alone. But in all cases, she has laid responsibility directly on Twilight's shoulders, and it has always been through Twilight's talent and leadership that the day has been saved.

Keys To Ascension

post-2150-0-63797200-1351839500.jpg

Twilight Sparkle is, in a sense, Our Little Mary Sue -- although she isn't as perfect as the stereotypical Mary Sue, to be sure.

By all accounts, saving the Crystal Empire will be a dangerous task, and Celestia has made clear that if King Sombra prevails, Equestria itself may very well fall into shadow, to the ruin of all. It is her greatest challenge yet, and Twilight laments, even in song, that she doesn't feel prepared to face it.

But Celestia's aside to Luna suggests that this is just another step toward being "ready", which brings us back to the topic question, and a fair amount of speculation that may or may not be way off, so reader discretion advised.

An Air Of Royalty

post-2150-0-25047800-1351839812.png

Twilight is a unicorn, but the Regal Sisters and Cadance are Alicorns. We associate alicorns with royal status, but there are apparently princes and princesses who are not alicorns (Blueblood, Platinum, et al). We also see that relatives of alicorns aren't necessarily alicorns.

So what if alicorns are not born, but made? That is to say, what if any pony can become an alicorn through magical means? Considering the spectacular things magic is capable of in the show, that's hardly an impossibility.

A tranformation to an alicorn would not necessarily be required, either, but if she is to ascend to a rank akin to the Regal Sisters, it would be likely -- and she might even be considered a Regal Sister herself. After all, it's not entirely clear how Celestia and Luna came to be.

Despite apparently having many royal relatives, Celestia and Luna give a great deal of attention to Twilight. When Equestria is in peril, Celestia doesn't turn to her royal family. She turns to her most faithful student: Twilight Sparkle.

There is no evidence that Celestia is grooming any member of her family to succeed her and Luna. This may be because they are immortal, to be sure, or an heir simply hasn't been introduced. Or maybe it's because the heir she has chosen isn't a member of her royal family.

If Twilight comes before even the royal family in matters of life, death, and the fate of Equestria itself, what does that tell us about how Celestia regards Twilight?

Heir Apparent

post-2150-0-15113900-1351840120.jpg

Then there's the matter of Twilight's magical power. When she "failed" her entrance exam as a filly, Celestia remarked that she didn't think she had ever seen a unicorn with Twilight's raw abilities. Considering how old Celestia is, that's no small matter.

Twilight possesses the greatest native magical power Princess Celestia has ever seen, and is her personal protege. She has free access to nearly all of Canterlot. She communicates regularly with Celestia and may contact her at any time, at will, through Spike (her dragon assistant). She is the sister of Prince Shining Armor, and sister-in-law of Princess Cadance. She is the Wielder of the Element of Magic and the bearer of its crown. She is the Defender of Equestria, Vanquisher of Nightmare Moon, Discord and Chrysalis.

She is now tasked with defending Equestria for the fifth time by saving the Crystal Empire and preventing the spread of hatred and fear from it. And this is just another step toward "being ready."

If all these epic adventures are just training for Twilight, then what is she being trained for that could be even more epic? The most logical conclusion I see is that she is being trained to become Princess Twilight.

Though I cannot know what her role or realm may ultimately be, I think the signs suggest that Equestria is in the process of receiving its next royal princess. But I doubt that will happen anytime soon, because it's unlikely that Princess Twilight will be able to stay in Ponyville with her friends, or take part in the zany antics that come along with them.

Or maybe she can. Only the writers know for sure.

post-2150-0-15177900-1351839103_thumb.png

• Brohoof 81

Being able to 'transform' into an alicorn doesn't strike my fancy very well, personally. But whether Twilight's going to be the next ruler of Equestria or not, Celestia is indeed getting her to advance further and faster now, using this opportunity to bridge her from where's she's been to wherever Celestia wants her to be.

Something I'd like to see is Celestia teaching Twilight dark magic. As Celestia demonstrated her ability to do so in same said preview upon darkening the crystal so that it mimicked King Sombra's power, she knows said magic. Twilight, as the Element of Magic, is almost obligated to learn about the dark arts at some point; maybe not use them regularly obviously, but to learn about them and study them nonetheless.

Edited by ~Chaotic Discord~
  • Brohoof 13

I'm not quite sure what to make of what Princess Celestia said. However, I will say this has been explored (fan art too) quite a lot in good fan fiction with Twilight Sparkle only becoming an Alicorn along with the mane six as well in other fan fictions.

Edited by Rush

It's possible of course but to be honest I really hope not. It just screams Mary Sue until your ears bleed. I'm also not sure how this would function as a plot point, do they need more princesses? Is something happening to Celestia/Luna/Cadence? How does one become an alicorn anyway? I guess I wouldn't like it because it would raise Twilight above the other five even more and I think she is prominent enough as is

• Brohoof 3

Two Wings And A Prayer

Being able to 'transform' into an alicorn doesn't strike my fancy very well, personally. But whether Twilight's going to be the next ruler of Equestria or not, Celestia is indeed getting her to advance further and faster now, using this opportunity to bridge her from where's she's been to wherever Celestia wants her to be.

I probably could have chosen my words better, because by saying "any pony" like I did, that implies just any old pony could trot on up to the local Alicornium and "shazzam!" they're an alicorn. If that was the case, I imagine Equestria would be full of alicorns.

What I'm envisioning is probably better described as a metamorphosis than a transformation. It would be something that comes with Twilight's ascension from a student to a princess. While becoming an alicorn wouldn't necessarily be a requirement for royalty, given all the non-alicorn royals, it seems alicorns do have special powers to match their stature.

Cadance, for example, is the Princess of Love. While that may not seem as impressive as Luna's ability to punctuate her sentences with thunderbolts or Celestia's ability to raise the sun at dawn, Twilight claims that Cadance is the only unicorn[sic] she knows of who has that power, making it unique. It's also clear that the Power of Love is very strong indeed, and it is that power which will sustain the Crystal Empire long enough for Twilight and the Mane Six to save it.

Given all the foreshadowing, it seems Twilight is being prepared for something far greater than Cadance (who I'm guessing may, along with Shining Armor, become the new ruler of the Crystal Empire -- we'll see). She already does, after all, have a rather impressive list of achievements on her resume, and she's apparently just getting warmed up.

That may not involve becoming a successor to the Regal Sisters or one of them, but Twilight's role as the protagonist is so central to the show, and her adventures so spectacular, that her eventual fate is going to have to be more grand than what's already gone before, and what's gone before is already pretty grand.

Of course this is all wild speculation, and I seriously doubt we'll be seeing an Alicorn Twilight during the series itself. Only at the end of the series, perhaps, as a "capper" for a finale. Or maybe a movie after the series ends its run. Sort of a fairytale ending, if you will.

Or maybe never, and she's just fine as a Unicorn Princess, because with her insane crazy def mad magic powers, wings may be superfluous anyway. In the meantime, if the writers keep dropping the kinds of hints they've been dropping, we should see more and more evidence of Twilight's eventual destiny.

I doubt it's going to be as Ponyville's dog catcher, if you know what I mean. ^_^

Every Picture Tells A Story

Just to add to the evidence collection, I found the symbolism of the key scenes in Canterlot Castle to be poignant, notably the literal symbolism of these images during Twilight's formal assignment by Princess Celestia...

post-2150-0-96363700-1351847352.jpg

Princess Celestia: "In the end, it must be you, and you alone, who ultimately assists Princess Cadance and Shining Armor in doing what needs to be done to protect the empire. Do you understand?"

post-2150-0-70399900-1351847400.jpg

Twilight Sparkle: "Mmm-hmm!"

There's a LOT being said just by these images. Note how Twilight's cutie mark (the symbol of magic itself) is presented the same way Celestia's and Luna's are. There's a sense of a changing of the guard in the body language and imagery. The accompanying dialog, circumstances and portentous music only reinforce the point.

A sacred mission with omenous foreshadowing if ever there was one. I'm guessing this means Twilight is going to go head to head with King Sombra, which will be one hell of a battle royale -- if that's what ends up happening.

Meanwhile, if Luna were any more jealous of Twilight being able to go instead of her, she would physically turn green. No subtlety there at all.

post-2150-0-32286300-1351849016.jpg

Allow me to repeat that, if you will. Princess Luna, Regal Sister, Princess of the Night and co-ruler of all of Equestria, is jealous of Twilight.

post-2150-0-49871300-1351848970.jpg

Just to repeat that point yet again, because it's that important, Twilight Sparkle is now leaving Princess Luna on the bench to sit this one out. That's the level at which she's operating now.

How obvious can it get? :D

• Brohoof 18

I actually don't want this to happen. This would change the show WAY to much for me. I honestly was thinking about that when I watched the 8 minutes. (Though it never was apparent to me that Luna was jealous). In my opinion I think it would be a great thing to do at the end of the entire series, not at the begining of the 3rd season. I honestly doubt she'd be an actual ruler, maybe a high powered position in the kingdom.

Celestia is indeed getting her to advance further and faster now, using this opportunity to bridge her from where's she's been to wherever Celestia wants her to be

This seems to be what I was thinking. As the synopsis of the entire season is really going to be focusing on

Twilights magic practice, and her advancing

. So I do think we'll see magic growth in Twilight, but nothing like her transforming into an alicorn, nor her becoming ruler of Equestria.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Days Of Future Passed

post-2150-0-38865800-1351858543.jpg

For whatever it's worth, I don't want Twilight or any of the Mane Cast to ever grow up. I like them just the way they are. I also doubt any of them are going to grow up during the series itself.

That would be a shark-jump, in my opinion. It wouldn't be the same show anymore, and I'm sure the writers know they would catch holy hell for that.

Rather, I'm looking at how Twilight's career trajectory is going, and it's a rather steep trajectory. She is definitely going to grow this season, but she's already pretty high up on the Equestria totem pole as it is.

post-2150-0-17228900-1351860715.jpg

With King Sombra starting things off, and potential appearances by Discord (though he'll probably be in a flashback episode -- with such an episode being AWESOME), a more powerful Trixie and Celestia-knows-what sort of other challenges, Twilight will no doubt have her hooves full.

I don't expect a "Princess Twilight" coronation to occur within the series itself. Rather, I think that's where things are ultimately headed in terms of the "Ponyverse" overall, and as sort of an epilog or "where are they now" kind of thing.

And I could be completely dead wrong about that. :)

Dusk To Dark

post-2150-0-91535000-1351858692.jpg

As for Luna being jealous, I didn't pick up on it at first. I just figured she was skeptical of Twilight's ability, considered her untested, and thought Celestia shouldn't entrust such an important task to her. But then I noticed some of the details, particularly the body language, and factored in the history of Luna and Twilight.

First off, and of key significance, Luna didn't stay for Twilight's briefing. She left the room and waited outside in the hallway. On the way out, she gave Twilight the kind of look one competing athlete gives another as they pass on the field. She wasn't in the room for Celestia's presentation -- not in the loop, had no say in the matter.

Her whole demeanor wasn't one of a superior looking down on a subordinate, though it could seem that way. Twilight was being given a vital mission crucial not only to the Crystal Empire, but to Equestria itself. And Luna wasn't allowed to go.

post-2150-0-48169200-1351860043.jpg

But Princess Luna is no stranger to Twilight Sparkle. Oh no. She apparently remembers everything that happened as Nightmare Moon, including her battle with Twilight. A battle she lost. A battle in which she was outsmarted. A battle in which she was outclassed.

In Luna Eclipsed, she didn't need to be told who Twilight Sparkle was. She knew all too well, and the odds of her leaving Canterlot to visit, of all the places in Equestria, the "tiny village" of Ponyville if Twilight wasn't there were astronomically low.

Surrogate Sibling Rivalry

post-2150-0-04186900-1351858876.jpg

Twilight and Luna have history. That history involves Twilight one-upping her at virtually every turn, from defeating her with the Elements of Harmony to teaching her how to fit in to pony society when Luna's "triumphant return" and attempt to win the adoration of the masses became an unmitigated disaster.

It was a humiliating time for Luna, and though she was no doubt grateful for Twilight's help, it was yet another case of Twilight besting her, leading poor, confused little Luna around by the hoof.

post-2150-0-43408700-1351885656.jpg

Sure, Luna may be skeptical of Twilight's abilities, but if she is, she must really feel terrible, because no matter how nicely you dress it up, Twilight Sparkle kicked her ass. And Twilight clearly has Celestia's favor, which is not the kind of thing a little sister will tend to accept graciously -- especially not stormy, mercurial Luna.

post-2150-0-82247800-1351858999.jpg

Luna first appeared (after her defeat as Nightmare Moon) in the second episode of the series, and she was small and feeble after the transformation. After that, she dropped off the radar, and does not appear to have had any significant role in the major affairs of the realm since.

When the dragon came to Equestria, Celestia didn't send Luna to handle it. When Discord returned, Luna was nowhere to be seen. When Queen Chrysalis attacked, Luna was sleeping. And now, with the reappearance of the Crystal Empire after she and Celestia banished King Sombra a thousand years ago, Luna is being told to sit on the sidelines yet again.

And, like Celestia, she is no longer connected to Elements. A thousand-year-old princess and ruler of Equestria, who used to wield the ultimate power of the Elements of Harmony, had them used against her by an insignificant foal born scant years ago, and who is now stealing her thunder, her place as a protector of Equestria, and her sister.

post-2150-0-48185600-1351859151.jpg

Let's not forget that it was jealousy which transformed Luna into Nightmare Moon in the first place. While the worst of it has passed, it seems unlikely she is completely free of that emotion, especially when we witness her behavior on Nightmare Night. She was desperate for affection, and furious when it was denied.

So while I may be reading too much into it, I'm seeing definite jealousy in Luna. If she had stayed to assist Celestia in briefing Twilight, she would be a superior. She didn't. She had to wait outside like a peer who got passed over for an assignment -- which is exactly what happened.

post-2150-0-26113900-1351859404.jpg

And now she has to wait around while Twilight goes off to save the day again.

All things considered, I think Luna is jealous of Twilight. The art, animation, storyline, character development and script seem to support that conclusion -- though again, I may be misinterpreting them.

Or maybe I'm just jealous. ^_^

post-2150-0-38865800-1351858543.jpg

post-2150-0-91535000-1351858692.jpg

post-2150-0-04186900-1351858876.jpg

post-2150-0-82247800-1351858999.jpg

post-2150-0-48185600-1351859151.jpg

post-2150-0-26113900-1351859404.jpg

post-2150-0-48169200-1351860043.jpg

post-2150-0-17228900-1351860715.jpg

post-2150-0-43408700-1351885656.jpg

Edited by ponyvangelist
  • Brohoof 15

Um... That's a big textwall.

My short summary which cuts out half the stuff.

• Twilight: Possible alicorn candidate?
  • Everything so far some form of warmup.
  • Luna inexplicably left out of loop, and very jealous because Twilight "kicked her ass."
That's all I really have. Someone fix this list to summarize the megatextwall better? Edited by The Weapon
  • Brohoof 1

This is an interesting subject. I find my self very interested in this, I would say it would be pretty awesome if Twilight were to become the next Princess... But if you think about it would they not have to make this the last season then? I mean would they make the other future seasons with Twilight as an Alicorn running around on adventures with the other mane 6? I can't see that happening though.

"She'll be that much closer to being ready...", "Next level of your studies"

Twilight is going to be going through a lot this season. The main speculations are that she's going to become the Princess' successor, an Alicorn, or both. In terms of the second alone, something about that me as it being along the lines of her going...Super Saiyan! Therefore, she doesn't permanently change, which would then make sense because if she were to become one permanently it could spell a far too early end for the series. Celestia and Luna seem to be born as Alicorns, so it would take a long time before Twilight could permanently become one.

Imagine this Crowning Moment of Awesome for the season finale with the villain (either Sombra or Discord, by the looks of it):

"I'm a proud pony who calls Equestria home, and I'm here to defeat you. I am the pony you've heard of in legends, pure of heart, and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE ALICORN, TWILIGHT SPARKLE!!!"

Or, for more comedic effect...

Sombra/Discord: "You—you're different! What happened?! What in the fiery depths of Tartarus are you?!"

Twilight: (smirks) "Can't you tell? It's just like Trixie said..."

Discord/Sombra: (at breaking point, knowing what's coming) "No you bucking don't!!"

Twilight: "I am the hope of the omniverse. I am the light bulb in the darkness. I am the bacon in the fridge for all living things that cry out in hunger. I am the alpha and the amiga. I am the terror that flaps in the night. I AM TWILIGHT SPARKLE, and I am an Ali-

(Sombra/Discord magic blasts her in the face)

Twilight: (leans forward unharmed, smirking) "—corn".

Edited by Wormtail96
  • Brohoof 6

Or, for more comedic effect...

Sombra/Discord: "You—you're different! What happened?! What in the fiery depths of Tartarus are you?!"

Twilight: (smirks) "Can't you tell? It's just like Trixie said..."

Discord/Sombra: (at breaking point, knowing what's coming) "No you bucking don't!!"

Twilight: "I am the hope of the omniverse. I am the light bulb in the darkness. I am the bacon in the fridge for all living things that cry out in hunger. I am the alpha and the amiga. I am the terror that flaps in the night. I AM TWILIGHT SPARKLE, and I am an Ali-

(Sombra/Discord magic blasts her in the face)

Twilight: (leans forward unharmed, smirking) "—corn".

ha I watched that episode yesterday still funny. Anyways I am not sure how the transition from unicorn to alicorn can be made I mean it would be awesome if it was like super saiyan. However twilight was born a unicorn unlike Luna, Celestia and Cadence who were born as alicorn's into royalty. This is going to be a wait and see for me.

• Brohoof 3

Twilight would become overpowered and she wouldn't be a fun character anymore. And then I wouldn't like her, so there.

A character shouldn't have to acquire phenomenal powers to be a hero. Friendship is magic, and that should be enough. Plus, if alicorns are a born race, how would that work anyways?

• Brohoof 5

Hahahaha, nice Frieza Arc reference there. Give you mad props, bro. :P

Anyways, if Twilight is indeed the Princess' top student then of course Twilight's gonna go through massive changes. Even in the episode "Cutie Mark Chronicles" Celestria told a young Twilight that she was a very unique and powerful unicorn. There's no doubt that she can ascend into a SUPER SAIYACORN!

• Brohoof 2

Much better. Also explains better Luna being all jealousy. I think that if they keep having Luna get jealous, we might end up with a return-of-Nightmare-Moon episode at the end of Season 3.

Even though Celestia was mostly clear that she and Luna were meant to rule about equally, Luna's being left out of this. This might be a plot point later on. Was Luna handling something out in the hallway mid-briefing? :ph34r:

It could be possible, but I don't see how they would just "Change" Twilight into a alicorn. I guess it could happen though.... but a better question, even if Celestia did step down from power, what exactly would happen with Luna? But I guess we will just have to wait and see.

I really wish people would stop using the term Mary Sue. It's such a tired expression, to the point that it barely means anything anymore. Twilight is DEFINITELY a flawed character. She is not all-powerful and her character flaws are pretty glaring. I get that people are saying she risks becoming "a Sue" if she becomes a princess, but we've been shown plenty of times the princesses are not all-powerful. She'd still be just as fallible as she is now.

Anyway, I love the idea that Twilight is being groomed to become a Princess. I remember reading this headcanon a while back about the alicorns being more like a stage of enlightenment than a naturally born species, and I love it.

• Brohoof 5

I merged the thread concerning Twilight becoming an Alicorn with this one since, well, they practically cover the same topic.

Now, to remove myself without bearing all of these spoilers! :blink:

• Brohoof 4

I like the idea that Twilight is becoming a princess, but I think it won't be showing her transforming until the last season, or better yet, a movie, when the final villain takes over. Who knows, she could be honorary pony sister-afternoon's brief changes (sun setting and moving, moon slowly rising), plus the TWILIGHT itself would be ruled by her...but that won't happen for a long time. if there's a gen 4.5 and a new Mane 6, Twilight would be a royal member of the court. It's just to obvious.

I really don't want Twilight to be Princess...I think it'd ruin a lot of things.

As for Luna's jelously, I completely agree. I was very excited when I saw her in the 8 minute teaser, and even more so when I noticed how bitter she seemed.

She was defeated by Twilight with the Elements of Harmony; the same way Celestia banished her to the moon. When she returned, she sees that sister dearest now treasures Twilight's company.

Discord's attacking?

"It's ok Luna, I'll call Twilight."

Chrysalis destroying Canterlot and overthrowing Celestia?

"I'll call Twilight, and she can save me when I get overthrown."

IT returns?

"I know you and I defeated him together in the past Luna, but I'll call Twilight."

Seriously. I'd be jelous too.

Celestia pretty much blows Luna off and looks to Twilight for everything. Twilight adores her, and Luna probably adored Celestia, her older sister, much in the same way. But Luna got taken over by jelousy because somepony else was getting more attention then she was.

I think Luna has a bigger role in all this.

Hell, Somber or Sombra or whatever might even convince Luna to join him at some point. I'd love to see Celestia fight for her sister ;)

• Brohoof 7

Sombra+Luna=Return Of NMM?

Also, would love to see the Elements of Harmony fail to blast out NMM because Luna is that blasted jealous and will not stop NMM mode until she has wiped the floor with Celestia (Quite literally, possibly. Obscure alicorn dueling ritual as justification? Surewhynot.).

There is so much foreshadowing in the preview. I think that it is very very likely that she is being groomed to be the next princess, whether it be as a unicorn or an alicorn. It would explain how alicorns came to be too if it's the latter. But I also feel like she won't accept because of her friends. And I also feel like Luna is a little jealous, again, because of the attention Twilight is getting. You can tell by the conversation between her and Celestia about it and the looks Luna gives. But it's only the first episode. So there's still some time to see what really happens. But like I said, she is definitely being groomed for royalty.