Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Twilight Sparkle Alicorn/Princess Speculation [SPOILERS]

ponyvangelist

614 users have voted

1. 1. Would you approve of Twilight becoming an alicorn?

• Yes!
    • Maybe...
    • NO.

I have doubts about Twilight becoming a a Princess. True, she has done many great things and the idea is alright, I just don't think she has what it takes to be a ruler. Twilight doesn't show many great leadership skills. Like being able to motivate a group or just one member, knowing the groups skills and abilities. If anything Celestia maybe referring to something that is coming to attack Equestria next.

As for Luna, I don't think she is jealous if anything she is just disappointed. Luna just wants to help the empire. Seeing as they failed to save it years ago. Thats just what I think anyway.

As for that one pick where it shows Celestia and Luna's cutie mark and then Twilights, I think they did that just to make it look cool.

• Brohoof 1

It is an idea with some potential, but it is best saved for the end of the series whether she becomes a princess, alicorn or both though it is obvious that she is no ordinary pony.

I can agree with most of this. Its possible. Though i don't see Twi becomin' an alicorn anytime soon. Or even this season. Or even EVER in the G4 series. But like you said, in the "ponyverse" she can become one. But what i do see happening is, Celestia is, no doubt, preparing her for something. Most definatly something big. Has to be if Luna would become jealous. Don't know if its to be her succesor or not, but its most likely that. However it could be something else. Some big event, some kind of destiny perhaps? I guess we would have to watch in order to find out.

This is one thing that has concerned me a great deal since she is already quite powerful. As stated by the OP she is close to Mary Sue status, but has enough quirks to keep her out of that realm. Twilight almost walks that fine line between the Mary Sue area and acceptable main character.

I've talked with others about this issue and have drawn different speculations/conclusions. (Biggest thing is the look Luna gives to Twilight. I mostly get a look of Distrust like the little purple unicorn isn't told everything by Celestia, instead of doubt.)

1. Ascension Form: Another forum I visit has a person that suggested this idea. It's not totally bad for Twilight "Ascend" so to speak and this acts like her, hate to use this reference, super pony form. We've seen this in other shows like Sailor Moon and most notably Dragon Ball Z. Wouldn't be too fond of this idea, but it's a heck of a lot better than her going full alicorn imho.

2. Spell Based Wings: Though we've seen unicorns cast spells and what not, it is limited to telekensis and in Twilight's case a few spells. Wondering if there are "base level" spells and then "Advanced" level spells. During the sonic rainboom episode we see Twilight cast a spell on Rarity to give her temporary wings. It took a lot out of the studious little pony, but it makes me wonder if there's a more advanced version of that out there. Example episode would be Twilight casting the spell on herself and it doesn't go away until the end which concerns her, (Magic Duel?).

Another thought was the Amniomorphic spell from Nightmare Night which Luna possibly used to transform into Nightmare Moon. Perhaps Twilight wants to imitate Celestia and casts this spell, but she fowls up since she is still new to learning the advanced spells. As a result she gets wings of her own which are practical, but disappear at the end of the episode. Would be funny if the wings suddenly reappeared during later episodes for gag references like Fluttershy's squee during S1 for cute scenes.

3. Full Alicorn: This is the dreaded part for me and the one that might happen which i'm preparing myself for at the moment. If it looks like a rose, has thorns, smells like a rose and wilts with no water, it probably is a rose.

The only thing that would make me accept this is a potential temporary state episode. Twilight is practicing with Celestia and something goes awry, causing part of Celestia's essence to be transfered into the little pony. As a result she grows wings and starts to change throughout the episode into a princess form. At the end the "life force/essence" is restored to Celestia, but a portion remains which gives Twilight wings.

That scenario would prevent Twilight from being full alicorn imho, and would help to maintain her character. Rather have that, instead of her suddenly ascending and permanently changing into an Alicorn.

I will apologize in advance if this is rude, but it makes me wonder if this type of thing made Lauren Faust leave the show. She might have been given total Autonomy with a few misc. detaills; however, those details slowly changed to where Hasbro was poking its nose where it shouldn't have been, even though it is there show.

Edited by Genepool
  • Brohoof 2

I think she might be. If she actually does become a princess though, the elements of harmony (and Luna) might feel a tad bit discouraged, unless they also get more power as well.

But I think at this point the ponies are understanding Twilight may be destined for something big...

I really wish people would stop using the term Mary Sue. It's such a tired exp<b></b>ression, to the point that it barely means anything anymore. Twilight is DEFINITELY a flawed character. She is not all-powerful and her character flaws are pretty glaring. I get that people are saying she risks becoming "a Sue" if she becomes a princess, but we've been shown plenty of times the princesses are not all-powerful. She'd still be just as fallible as she is now.

Anyway, I love the idea that Twilight is being groomed to become a Princess. I remember reading this headcanon a while back about the alicorns being more like a stage of enlightenment than a naturally born species, and I love it.

I understand what you are saying mostly, but here is a paraphrased quote from Eliezer Yudlowski about Mary Sues that illustrates a worry I have. "The Mary Sue isn't characterized by her capabilities but by her lack of a worthy opponent. Any strengthening of the protagonist must result in a corresponding strengthening of the antagonist." So if Twilight were to become an Alicorn they would likely have to deal with more challenging obstacles to combat her increased abilities right? Well if you strengthen Twilight and the challenges they face, while not strengthening the rest of the 6 then the result is that they become increasingly reliant on Twilight and she becomes more and more prominent relative to the rest of the characters. I personally think Twilight is prominent enough already, and I wouldn't welcome this change. At the end of the series? I guess, but not while there is still more fun and adventures to be had Edited by DashForever

I understand what you are saying mostly, but here is a paraphrased quote from Eliezer Yudlowski about Mary Sues that illustrates a worry I have. "The Mary Sue isn't characterized by her capabilities but by her lack of a worthy opponent. Any strengthening of the protagonist must result in a corresponding strengthening of the antagonist." So if Twilight were to become an Alicorn they would likely have to deal with more challenging obstacles to combat her increased abilities right? Well if you strengthen Twilight and the challenges they face, while not strengthening the rest of the 6 then the result is that they become increasingly reliant on Twilight and she becomes more and more prominent relative to the rest of the characters. I personally think Twilight is prominent enough already, and I wouldn't welcome this change. At the end of the series? I guess, but not while there is still more fun and adventures to be had

You do have a point and I have to truly look at one piece with Luffy and his crew getting stronger. They had to get stronger because the enemies they would face in the new area would be stronger. Can't imagine the luffy from the buggy days facing down Hody.

Hopefully we'll get something different with Twilight instead of just a straight up "o mah gerd, lets turn her into alicorn for lulz."

I don't have blind faith in the writers, but I do believe they are smart enough to make sure they don't do something that would reflect badly on the show. Since the show helps to sell the product I think it would be a very "idiotic" move to do that, and the writers + Hasbro won't be that stupid.

Like A Boss

I have doubts about Twilight becoming a a Princess. True, she has done many great things and the idea is alright, I just don't think she has what it takes to be a ruler. Twilight doesn't show many great leadership skills. Like being able to motivate a group or just one member, knowing the groups skills and abilities.

I hope you won't mind my breaking this out of your post and zeroing in on it, but I think Twilight has shown excellent leadership skills, and would make an outstanding ruler. In fact, it's one of the dominant themes throughout the series.

post-2150-0-88004600-1351980249.jpg

Twilight Sparkle's very first assignment in Ponyville was to supervise preparations for the Summer Sun Celebration, on behalf of Princess Celestia. While her future friends already had matters more or less in hoof, it was Twilight who would have been held accountable if something had gone wrong.

post-2150-0-89545100-1351980286.jpg

Princess Celestia saw the signs of Nightmare Moon's return, and counted on Twilight to gather the right friends (who conveniently enough were also the ponies assigned to handle the Summer Sun Celebration) to find the Elements of Harmony, figure out how to activate them and defeat Nightmare Moon. And all of this while Nightmare Moon was free to terrorize Equestria and bring forth "nighttime eternal". If Twilight would have failed -- and there were countless ways she could have, starting with simply not making friends, or not making the right friends, or enough of them -- it's not exactly clear what would have happened, but Equestria might well have been cursed to suffer eternal darkness.

post-2150-0-70429900-1351980300.jpg

When Applejack bit off more than she could chew in "Applebuck Season", it was Twilight who reached out to her, urging her to ask for help, and when Applejack finally did, it was Twilight who rallied her friends to complete the harvest -- with plenty of help from Twilight's magic, to boot.

post-2150-0-87267800-1351980324.jpg

In "Dragonshy", with the threat of Equestria being covered by a cloud of thick smoke for a hundred years, Princess Celestia chose Twilight to remove the dragon. A huge, fully grown dragon that could eat a pony in one bite. Twilight mustered her friends in the manner of the "A Team", planned out the "attack" and led the ponies up the mountain. Despite Rainbow Dash's constant protests, Twilight insisted on bringing Fluttershy along because she considered her skill with animals vital to the mission. Turns out that was precisely the case. Fluttershy was able to save the day only because Twilight believed in her and did what it took to get Fluttershy to believe in herself.

post-2150-0-00357500-1351980341.jpg

In "Winter Wrap Up", spring would have been delayed yet again were it not for Twilight's intervention. Despite the wrap-up already being well behind schedule, and the Mayor herself unable to properly manage the clean-up effort, Twilight was able to assign the entire population of Ponyville to the various tasks needed to wrap up winter on time. And indeed they did, thanks to Twilight's amazing organizational skills.

post-2150-0-04380700-1351980359.jpg

When Discord returned and overwhelmed Equestria with unrestrained Chaos, Princess Celestia knew all too well what the stakes were. She had faced him before, and knew how miserable life for everypony would be if he was not stopped. The Elements of Harmony had been stolen and were nowhere to be found. While using her horn to "knight" Twilight, Princess Celestia declared "the fate of Equestria is in your hooves." From that point on, it was up to Twilight to lead her friends to locate the missing Elements and defeat Discord. But Discord was no easy foe, and when all seemed lost, Celestia sent Twilight her own letters to remind her of the power of Friendship. With that, Twilight was able to break Discord's hold over her friends, restore the Elements to them and rally them to imprison Discord, saving Equestria and earning a Star Wars-style ceremony of honor in Canterlot Castle.

post-2150-0-34950000-1351980387.jpg

In "The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000", when the Apple family was falling behind in production, it was Twilight who arranged for the rest of the "family" to help them. She then assigned the ponies to their various tasks and oversaw vastly improved production. Though that effort still fell short, it was due to the Flim Flam brothers "cheating", not a lack of Twilight's leadership skill.

post-2150-0-60110800-1351980418.jpg

In "A Canterlot Wedding", when Princess Celestia was defeated by Queen Chrysalis, it was once again Twilight Sparkle (who had been right about the false Princess Cadance all along, by the way) to whom she turned to save Equestria. Despite a valiant and courageous effort in battle, the Mane Six were overcome and captured, but Twilight realized that Shining Armor and Cadance's Power of Love could prevail. She freed Cadance and urged her to go to her brother, and together, they saved Equestria.

post-2150-0-07905800-1351980441.jpg

And now, it is once again Twilight Sparkle to whom Princess Celestia has turned to save the Crystal Empire and with it, Equestria itself. It remains to be seen what will happen next, but given Twilight's remarkable track record, there can be little doubt she will succeed -- even if she may hit a few snags along the way.

These are just some of Twilight Sparkle's accomplishments before she's "ready!" Frankly, I think she's already far more "ready" than most leaders in human history, let alone a magical land of ponies.

But it's not just her accomplishments that qualify her, it's her traits as well. She's humble. She's kind. She cares for her friends. She's smart. She's tenacious. She's insanely talented with magic. She doesn't brag...

post-2150-0-18608500-1351980460.jpg

In fact, now that I think about it, in addition to Magic, Twilight Sparkle embodies ALL of the other Elements of Harmony herself: Kindness, Laughter, Generosity, Honesty and Loyalty. She may not be the archetype of them like her friends, but she certainly possesses all of these qualities.

post-2150-0-75632700-1351980481.jpg

Of course, our dear Twilight is far from perfect. She tends to be obsessive and prone to anxiety attacks to the point of pathos. She often underestimates herself and becomes flustered when she doesn't know what to do. And she's not exactly the greatest dancer. But no one, including Princess Celestia herself, is perfect, and Twilight is still young and growing. There can be little doubt that she will eventually learn to cope with her faults, if not overcome them entirely.

As far as I'm concerned, if she doesn't end up becoming a Princess, I would be more than happy to have her as President.

post-2150-0-38341700-1351980504.jpg

I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling that way. :D

• Brohoof 11

You do have a point and I have to truly look at one piece with Luffy and his crew getting stronger. They had to get stronger because the enemies they would face in the new area would be stronger. Can't imagine the luffy from the buggy days facing down Hody.

Hopefully we'll get something different with Twilight instead of just a straight up "o mah gerd, lets turn her into alicorn for lulz."

I don't have blind faith in the writers, but I do believe they are smart enough to make sure they don't do something that would reflect badly on the show. Since the show helps to sell the product I think it would be a very "idiotic" move to do that, and the writers + Hasbro won't be that stupid.

Another One Piece fan. Excellent, we need more of those. And yeah, I'm not objecting to powering up the six, I'd welcome that honestly, I'm mostly just objected to using an alicorn transformation as a power up (just because it rubs me the wrong way) and the fact that it might only happen to Twilight. After all, One Piece wouldn't be nearly as good if the rest of the Strawhats couldn't kick @$$ too.

I'm interested to see what they'll do with this

Twilight Sparkle becoming an alicorn and a princess doesn't seem so far fetched. She has to become princess at the right moment as well. Also, I'd imagine her to take over Celestia's throne after she... well.... passes. Would that also mean Twilight will have a longer life expectency? So many questions, so little time!

Twilight Sparkle becoming an alicorn and a princess doesn't seem so far fetched. She has to become princess at the right moment as well. Also, I'd imagine her to take over Celestia's throne after she... well.... passes. Would that also mean Twilight will have a longer life expectency? So many questions, so little time!

True, True

I mean looking at Cadence, she was young as Twilight was growing up and continued to mature. Perhaps there's different types of princesses with Celestia and Luna being particular ones. Perhaps Cadence doesn't have their longevity, eventually growing old like regular ponies.

Would be hard to think about Twilight being immortal while all the friends she made, her parents, and others she met grow old while she stays young. Probably why I always wonder about Celestia growing up having to endure that kind of pain. Extremely doubtful she would shelter that kind of burden on the little pony.

• Brohoof 1

Like A Boss

I hope you won't mind my breaking this out of your post and zeroing in on it, but I think Twilight has shown excellent leadership skills, and would make an outstanding ruler. In fact, it's one of the dominant themes throughout the series.

post-2150-0-88004600-1351980249.jpg

Twilight Sparkle's very first assignment in Ponyville was to supervise preparations for the Summer Sun Celebration, on behalf of Princess Celestia. While her future friends already had matters more or less in hoof, it was Twilight who would have been held accountable if something had gone wrong.

post-2150-0-89545100-1351980286.jpg

Princess Celestia saw the signs of Nightmare Moon's return, and counted on Twilight to gather the right friends (who conveniently enough were also the ponies assigned to handle the Summer Sun Celebration) to find the Elements of Harmony, figure out how to activate them and defeat Nightmare Moon. And all of this while Nightmare Moon was free to terrorize Equestria and bring forth "nighttime eternal". If Twilight would have failed -- and there were countless ways she could have, starting with simply not making friends, or not making the right friends, or enough of them -- it's not exactly clear what would have happened, but Equestria might well have been cursed to suffer eternal darkness.

post-2150-0-70429900-1351980300.jpg

When Applejack bit off more than she could chew in "Applebuck Season", it was Twilight who reached out to her, urging her to ask for help, and when Applejack finally did, it was Twilight who rallied her friends to complete the harvest -- with plenty of help from Twilight's magic, to boot.

post-2150-0-87267800-1351980324.jpg

In "Dragonshy", with the threat of Equestria being covered by a cloud of thick smoke for a hundred years, Princess Celestia chose Twilight to remove the dragon. A huge, fully grown dragon that could eat a pony in one bite. Twilight mustered her friends in the manner of the "A Team", planned out the "attack" and led the ponies up the mountain. Despite Rainbow Dash's constant protests, Twilight insisted on bringing Fluttershy along because she considered her skill with animals vital to the mission. Turns out that was precisely the case. Fluttershy was able to save the day only because Twilight believed in her and did what it took to get Fluttershy to believe in herself.

post-2150-0-00357500-1351980341.jpg

In "Winter Wrap Up", spring would have been delayed yet again were it not for Twilight's intervention. Despite the wrap-up already being well behind schedule, and the Mayor herself unable to properly manage the clean-up effort, Twilight was able to assign the entire population of Ponyville to the various tasks needed to wrap up winter on time. And indeed they did, thanks to Twilight's amazing organizational skills.

post-2150-0-04380700-1351980359.jpg

When Discord returned and overwhelmed Equestria with unrestrained Chaos, Princess Celestia knew all too well what the stakes were. She had faced him before, and knew how miserable life for everypony would be if he was not stopped. The Elements of Harmony had been stolen and were nowhere to be found. While using her horn to "knight" Twilight, Princess Celestia declared "the fate of Equestria is in your hooves." From that point on, it was up to Twilight to lead her friends to locate the missing Elements and defeat Discord. But Discord was no easy foe, and when all seemed lost, Celestia sent Twilight her own letters to remind her of the power of Friendship. With that, Twilight was able to break Discord's hold over her friends, restore the Elements to them and rally them to imprison Discord, saving Equestria and earning a Star Wars-style ceremony of honor in Canterlot Castle.

post-2150-0-34950000-1351980387.jpg

In "The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000", when the Apple family was falling behind in production, it was Twilight who arranged for the rest of the "family" to help them. She then assigned the ponies to their various tasks and oversaw vastly improved production. Though that effort still fell short, it was due to the Flim Flam brothers "cheating", not a lack of Twilight's leadership skill.

post-2150-0-60110800-1351980418.jpg

In "A Canterlot Wedding", when Princess Celestia was defeated by Queen Chrysalis, it was once again Twilight Sparkle (who had been right about the false Princess Cadance all along, by the way) to whom she turned to save Equestria. Despite a valiant and courageous effort in battle, the Mane Six were overcome and captured, but Twilight realized that Shining Armor and Cadance's Power of Love could prevail. She freed Cadance and urged her to go to her brother, and together, they saved Equestria.

post-2150-0-07905800-1351980441.jpg

And now, it is once again Twilight Sparkle to whom Princess Celestia has turned to save the Crystal Empire and with it, Equestria itself. It remains to be seen what will happen next, but given Twilight's remarkable track record, there can be little doubt she will succeed -- even if she may hit a few snags along the way.

These are just some of Twilight Sparkle's accomplishments before she's "ready!" Frankly, I think she's already far more "ready" than most leaders in human history, let alone a magical land of ponies.

But it's not just her accomplishments that qualify her, it's her traits as well. She's humble. She's kind. She cares for her friends. She's smart. She's tenacious. She's insanely talented with magic. She doesn't brag...

post-2150-0-18608500-1351980460.jpg

In fact, now that I think about it, in addition to Magic, Twilight Sparkle embodies ALL of the other Elements of Harmony herself: Kindness, Laughter, Generosity, Honesty and Loyalty. She may not be the archetype of them like her friends, but she certainly possesses all of these qualities.

post-2150-0-75632700-1351980481.jpg

Of course, our dear Twilight is far from perfect. She tends to be obsessive and prone to anxiety attacks to the point of pathos. She often underestimates herself and becomes flustered when she doesn't know what to do. And she's not exactly the greatest dancer. But no one, including Princess Celestia herself, is perfect, and Twilight is still young and growing. There can be little doubt that she will eventually learn to cope with her faults, if not overcome them entirely.

As far as I'm concerned, if she doesn't end up becoming a Princess, I would be more than happy to have her as President.

post-2150-0-38341700-1351980504.jpg

I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling that way. :D

You make some good points, but now I am going to pock many many holes into this idea.

1. True Twilight was is charge of the, Summer Sun Celebration, but most of the jobs were already done by the time she got there. She could have just gone to each place and talked for a minute with each person and then left. The only pony who did not do her job was Rainbow Dash and she would have gotten the job done in no time. All Twilight did was egg her on.

2. Next Twilight did not gather them up, they followed her into the forest. Also she was first going to go in by herself and bring no one with her.

3. After AppleJack got the last tree, Big Mac, pointed to a bunch more that she missed. By this point AppleJack had come to realize that she did need help. If Twilight was a good leader, she would have been able to convenes her in one go and not try 3 times and 4 a bunch of ponies to get hurt or sick.

4. Twilight was right to bring Fluttershy along and use her animal skills, but she was not good at convincing her to try. A leader must be able to convince a member of the group to get over their fears and take it head on. When Fluttershy said, I just can't do it, Twilight was like ok if you say so. It also took them getting hurt for Fluttershy to get over her fears.

5 and 6. Now you are right about Winter Wrap up and Discord attacking. Still it took Celestias help in oder to help her remember.

7. Twilight forgot to give herself a job. What about all that magic she has? She could have used her magic to bring more apples (Even thou to many apples may rune the Apple family) or help with the check station. She has good eyes. But, no she plugged barrels.

8. Twilight may have been right about the fake Cadence, but she did not do much to convinces everypony that she was right. A true leader needs to gather up info and be able to convinces them. Not to be rash and only going on the fact that you are right. All Twilight did was barge into a room and shouted EVIL like Uncle from Jackie Chain. Also did she know that Cadence and Shining Armors magic would do that. For all Twilight know nothing was going to happen and they all would have been doomed. If anything Cadence was the one who believed in it or you could say it was just dome luck.

So if anything Twilight maybe close, but she would need a lot more time before anyone would call her a leader.

• Brohoof 3

Something I'd like to see is Celestia teaching Twilight dark magic. As Celestia demonstrated her ability to do so in same said preview upon darkening the crystal so that it mimicked King Sombra's power, she knows said magic. Twilight, as the Element of Magic, is almost obligated to learn about the dark arts at some point; maybe not use them regularly obviously, but to learn about them and study them nonetheless.

Here comes the crazy theory train.

The dark magic business might have screwed over Sombra's head when he initially started using it, thus lending himself to all that Celestia said about him, about his heart being "as black as night". Effectively, it corrupted him, and I couldn't help but think that Celestia felt a little tug at her heart when she called upon that "history lesson spell" when she showed Twilight what seemed to happen all those years ago. Something of an addiction - if you use the dark magic too much, you have to realize you're going be one of two things: you're either going to be a genius, or an idiot. And if you don't make it, look out! The path to madness begins.

• Brohoof 2

The dark magic business might have screwed over Sombra's head when he initially started using it, thus lending himself to all that Celestia said about him, about his heart being "as black as night". Effectively, it corrupted him, and I couldn't help but think that Celestia felt a little tug at her heart when she called upon that "history lesson spell" when she showed Twilight what seemed to happen all those years ago. Something of an addiction - if you use the dark magic too much, you have to realize you're going be one of two things: you're either going to be a genius, or an idiot. And if you don't make it, look out! The path to madness begins.

That's an excellent theory. Celestia knows black magic as demonstrated in the eight minute preview, so Sombra would be an example of the idiot who let it corrupt him, and Celestia is an example of the wise one who learned it, grew stronger from it, but does not use it and let it corrupt them. Twilight will probably learn said magic and grow stronger for it still. Perhaps Celestia's plan is to have Twilight face Sombra, the ideal example of a corrupted unicorn who let Dark Magic corrupt them, have her learn from her battle with him, and that will prepare her to learn the art herself.

The dark magic business might have screwed over Sombra's head when he initially started using it, thus lending himself to all that Celestia said about him, about his heart being "as black as night".

I found it very interesting when Celestia said "black as night". The first thing I thought about was Luna.

I think if anything, Luna would be the one to teach dark magic. Quoting from Luna Eclipsed; "It was thou who unleashed the powers of harmony upon us, and took away our dark powers".

I will ride the crazy theory train with you.

Luna might go with them; and Sombra could use his villian persuasion powers to convince her to join him.

He is Mr. Heart As Black As Night, after all. Why wouldn't he want the Princess of the Night on his side? ;)

• Brohoof 1

That's an excellent theory. Celestia knows black magic as demonstrated in the eight minute preview, so Sombra would be an example of the idiot who let it corrupt him, and Celestia is an example of the wise one who learned it, grew stronger from it, but does not use it and let it corrupt them. Twilight will probably learn said magic and grow stronger for it still. Perhaps Celestia's plan is to have Twilight face Sombra, the ideal example of a corrupted unicorn who let Dark Magic corrupt them, have her learn from her battle with him, and that will prepare her to learn the art herself.

I doubt the art of black magic is necessary at all to use even in combat for Equestrians. While powerful enough to warrant attention and maybe utilize it, Equestrians are much better off with their normal spells. Again, this isn't to discredit the power of aforementioned, but it just isn't a good fit.

Imagine a superstar football wide receiver. He is great at catching balls in traffic, can beat double-coverage, and can sometimes make clutch catches. He runs his routes well and puts up big stats. Only thing is, he has a big ego and could care less about his team, and only focuses on improving himself and not leaving an impact on whatever team he's playing on. Now imagine a team where they value hard work and determination and doing your job more than anything else. If this team were to sign this specific player, he would hinder them because he would not get along at all with anyone on that team... and so the team suffers as a result. To prevent themselves from this guy disrupting any more team chemistry, they have to bench him and play him as little as possible. While he has great stats and is a great player, he's really unneeded if the team is doing great without him. Essentially, it's signing the superstar to a big contract but not playing him at all.

I found it very interesting when Celestia said "black as night". The first thing I thought about was Luna.

I think if anything, Luna would be the one to teach dark magic. Quoting from Luna Eclipsed; "It was thou who unleashed the powers of harmony upon us, and took away our dark powers".

Good eye on that. It was pretty clear that Luna's transformation was the result of her jealousy, though I don't think an alicorn of her status could just be pushed off the edge without some sort of exterior force...

Hell, Sombra was banished the same time around Luna was, so it could also be claimed that both of their personalities were the result of some crazed, evil force who feed on negative emotions and thus pushing their hatred even further. It might have been prevalent during that time period of 1000 years ago. Maybe Discord's remnant works of chaos had something to do with it as well? If it's not already there, look out. You're gonna be transformed into something that'll disrupt everything.

• Brohoof 2

First things first.

Your post is so organized, neat, and detailed. With text and picture headers for each section and intuitive details on each subject matter. I LOVE IT.

Now that I'm done with that,

I'd absolutely hate, hate, hate, hate, HATE it if Twilight Sparkle were to ever become an alicorn within the entire span of the series, epilogues, movies and what-have-you, that may appear in merchandising and media at ANY given time in ANY country in ANY time. Unless fan-created.

I admire your points of symbolism in every wall-of-text post (I read all the ones on the first page, if there are more, too many), especially the point about Twilight being the time between day and night. That one was a gem I'd never caught before. And some points for pointing out that Luna was jealous, too. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with her.

Now, I agree on you that Twilight is somehow important. She and her friends have been trusted in amazing stuff, even the fate of all of Equestria. She's being prepared by the princesses for something, something that through all their work of preparation, she probably still won't be prepared for. Whatever it is, whatever responsibility Twilight will hold and whatever it may effect, this is a complete mystery, and I'd like to refrain from speculation, not just because I'd like it to be a surprise, but because when it is eventually revealed, I'll probably be wrong, and I don't like being wrong.

One thing I'm sure of is that, in the entire lifespan of the series, never do I expect Twilight to ever turn into an alicorn. That specific point aside, wonderful, wonderful post. It was an absolutely delightful read.

...I'd hate the writers if they were stupid enough to make any of the Mane 6 an alicorn, especially Twilight...

• Brohoof 4

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the last time I checked, episode 3 of season 3 is focused on Pinkie. If Twilight DOES become an alicorn after her mission with the crystal empire, I feel as if several episodes need to be dedicated to her character development. How does she take on the responsibilities? How will other ponies react? And how will she cope with flying? If she does turn into an alicorn, then I'm guessing it would be at the end of season 3.

I personally really despise this theory...as I feel it would take away from focus, use and importance of other characters and ruin the amazing protagonist Twilight is for me.

But ignoring my own feelings...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the last time I checked, episode 3 of season 3 is focused on Pinkie. If Twilight DOES become an alicorn after her mission with the crystal empire, I feel as if several episodes need to be dedicated to her character development. How does she take on the responsibilities? How will other ponies react? And how will she cope with flying? If she does turn into an alicorn, then I'm guessing it would be at the end of season 3.

If this is bound to happen, I doubt it's going to happen before the end of Season 3. Meghan McCarthy had mentioned S3 would focus on Twilight's learning, so it seems this season will have a sort of journey/growth feel to it on part of our main mare. So it's only natural that, if this alicorn thing is the outcome of that growth and/or learning, it comes towards the end.

If it were to happen, I don't see why it'd have to be at the end of season 3. Whatever's going on, it seems like a long process, not "she's one step closer but oh she's done." >.>

I'd like Twilight to become an alicorn/princess. But I'd be worried about how that would affect the other ponies if it happened before the end. And even then... She's the main character of the show, really, but the point is needing friends to reach your full potential or something like that.

This preparation thing aside.

My honest opinion, I wouldn't be too upset to see Twilight as an alicorn. I feel like she shows great potential and amazing leadership skills. I wouldn't care whether or not she became an alicorn or stayed a unicorn. Most of what I've seen on this thread is completely against her becoming one, and I personally don't get it. I do feel it would be too soon for her to become one now, but maybe after season like five or six she could become one. But like I stated in a previous post, I doubt she will because of her friends and how she feels connected to them.

• Brohoof 3

I too noticed this whole thing in the preview. Everything Princess Celestia says does suggest she has something important, something big in store for Twilight. I like that suggestion as it means that there's something else going on than simple small villains (and some big ones). Just like the Grand Galloping Gala was the main thing in Season 1, Twilight's fate seems to be the big plot that will last through the entire show. I like that.

As an interesting side note, the story I wrote, "Frozen Heart", is actually based on the impressions I got in Seasons 1 & 2 and included my own speculation in the end. This was before any previews of the Season 3 came out. This is another reason why I'm now VERY interested to see where this is going.

If Twilight is really been groomed to something, it suggests Celestia has a big plan in motion. A plan only she knows.

It's obvious that Princess Celestia knew Twilight Sparkle was destined for great things from the earliest stages of her life.

-In Equestria, I can see royalty interacting with non-royals to promote a sense of egalitarianism and community. That would include activities like foalsitting for each other. But Princess Cadance as Twilight's foalsitter before she even applied for the Gifted Unicorn School and her potential was known? Too uncanny to be a coincidence. “You are anything but an ordinary unicorn,” indeed.

-Princess Celestia was conveniently available for Twilight's entrance exam.

-Celestia knew Twilight could use the Elements of Harmony to stop Nightmare Moon if she had the right friends with her. She somehow knew they would be in Ponyville so she sent Twilight there a day beforehand. Only a day? If it were me, I would've shipped her off a YEAR ahead of time, lol!

But how did Celestia know that Twilight was the chosen one? Was it written in prophecy somewhere? Does she have have Midichlorian counts taken for all unicorns born in Equestria? Was she specially bred or genetically engineered for this purpose?

If Twilight Sparkle is to become an Alicorn princess, I can't see it happening until the series finale and that's quite a ways off yet!

Edited by Wingnut
  • Brohoof 3