Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Twilight Sparkle Alicorn/Princess Speculation [SPOILERS]

ponyvangelist

614 users have voted

1. 1. Would you approve of Twilight becoming an alicorn?

• Yes!
    • Maybe...
    • NO.

It should work fine, actually.

Read the sentence synopsis of the finale. How it appears to happen is /very/ interesting, and a very good idea. So I think it'll be fine.

One other possibility I've heard is that in the "cutie mark switching" is that Twilight swaps her cutie mark with Celestia's. In which case, the change would only be temporary.

Maybe I'm being OCD, but the fact that permanent Alicornification will throw off the 2/2/2 makeup of the group bugs me above all else. Not to mention it would create an social inequality in the group. The show would go from Mane-6-centric to Twi-centric. (It's only inherent. If you have a piece of platinum among a group of gold they are CLEARLY going to be the center of attention, no matter how hard you try to stop it).

Temporary (or even a vision) is a lot more open-ended than making her an Alicorn now. Making her an Alicorn after only three seasons makes me think Hasbro had a planned cap on MLP:FiM from the get-go, and that only 4 or so seasons were planned. When on the other hand, if they stretched out the Mane-6's learning experience even more, they can have seasons indefinitely.

My 2 bits.

Edited by AtomicBassCannon
  • Brohoof 1

Cutie Mark switching aside, i'm really more interested by the line in that synopsis saying Twilight is going to learn how to weave her own magic! This reminds me of the tabletop RPG Mage: The Ascension where sorcerers could do premade spells of "linear magic", but true Awakened Mages could change the patterns of reality dynamically at will. And i think here that's sort of a thresh-hold level between "regular" unicorns and the demi-god-like alicorns. It's not so much a matter of raw power (for instance i think Twilight is potentially more powerful than Cadence, even as a unicorn) but a matter of enlightenment. Once you tap into some sort of primal insight on how magic works and what magic is, you become much more attuned to it, and your physical being changes in response (hence the ethereal quality of the sisters' manes for instance).

Methinks the cutie mark crisis looming on the horizon may give Twi the push to cross that brink, and become one with magic itself, as i'm sure Celestia knew might probably happen one day given Twilight's the element of magic.

Like So

• Brohoof 1

How exactly does twilight getting wings ruin the show. I can't work why people are getting so concerned over the idea.

Twilight writing her own magic sounds awesome. She might even get her own wing in one of the Canterlot Libraries :wub:  

Edited by Bucky_McGillycuddy
  • Brohoof 1

I hear people say "Derp if Twilight becomes an alicorn shes a princess derp". However I disagree. No where did Anyone Say Only Princess could be Alicorns or Vise vesra. I mean Is Niggertron a Princess?

Also if thats true then why isnt Rarity a Princess, she was an Alicorn for a moment.

Ways to become a Princess:

Marry a Prince.

Have your parents Royalty.

But the ways to become an Alicorn are.....We dont know. For all we know a Unicorn might put Robot wings on herself would that make the Unicorn a Princess?

Intil proven otherwise If Twilight becomes a Alicorn she wont become a Princess. Period.

• Brohoof 3

From a storytelling stand-point, Alicorn Twilight is stupid. Considering that Twilight can already conjure wings, if they go the "she only gets wings" route, it'll be a pointless change.

On the other hand, if they go the "Celestia/Luna level magic" route, Twilight would be extremely overpowered in comparsion to the rest of the
Mane 6.

Even if she doesn't immediately gain amplified magic or flight, she still would have greater potential than the rest of Mane 6, so it would force the writers to either buff all of them, or drop them from the spotlight all together..

Change for the sake of Change is stupid.

• Brohoof 2

This.

I cant wait for the episode. It sounds like a very interesting premise. Good moral, and such. Those worrying so much are just paranoid.

Twinhead, Did ya read my previous posts? It looks to be more of a matter of enlightenment and perspective than raw magical power, which even if it is increased comes gradually, not *snap* instant Luna/Celestia level.

From a storytelling standpoint it could open up new possibilities as she explores her newfound nature, and how she relates to others during her changes, etc.

You're talking about Sonic Rainboom right? I don't think being granted a temporary wings spell from Twilight counts as being Alicorn royalty does it? 

I Know it doesnt. But why are you putting alicorn and Royalty in the same Sentense? Royaltys dont have to be alicorns as seen with BB and Shinnig and Sombra.

If someone has to take Celestia's throne, that one has to be Twilight Sparkle. She deserves it! She saved Equestria more times than Celestia did in a 1000 years.

Talking about the Alicorn thing I think that there's no need to be one to rule a place. Shining Armor is a prince and Blueblood too and they're both regular unicorns.

I didn't know that Twilight becoming an alicorn is going to be a canon, interesting! I wanna see the episode now!

But why are you putting alicorn and Royalty in the same Sentense?

It seems safe to say that if you are Alicorn you are royalty, every Alicorn in the series so far is. We don't know for sure if Sombra has wings or not because he wears that little cape thingo. The only other way it looks like you can be royalty otherwise is to marry in like Shining Armour did and who knows maybe Sombra doens't have wings and married an Alicorn princess too?

That's speculating a lot though, so yeah, who knows what the go is for the mean time. Probably just have to wait and see,

It seems safe to say that if you are Alicorn you are royalty, every Alicorn in the series so far is. We don't know for sure if Sombra has wings or not because he wears that little cape thingo. The only other way it looks like you can be royalty otherwise is to marry in like Shining Armour did and who knows maybe Sombra doens't have wings and married an Alicorn princess too?

That's speculating a lot though, so yeah, who knows what the go is for the mean time. Probably just have to wait and see,

Its safe to assume. But not to Confirm all Alicorns are princesses. What if twi dint want to be a princess but wanted to keep the wings!

I hope with all my might you are right, OP. Although I can't remember it, I thought I read or heard something that made it obvious she would get alicorn'd, but like I said, I can't remember where...  :huh:

I hope with all my might you are right, OP. Although I can't remember it, I thought I read or heard something that made it obvious she would get alicorn'd, but like I said, I can't remember where...  :huh:

So what if she became an Alicorn? It would only give her wings thats all. She wont get promoted to princess because being a princess isnt a rank. Worst case is she gets bigger to Cadences size

So what if she became an Alicorn? It would only give her wings thats all. She wont get promoted to princess because being a princess isnt a rank. Worst case is she gets bigger to Cadences size

Yeah, I guess the problem would be size, and having more power than the rest of her friends would kinda separate her; make her higher up than them. She wouldn't need them any more.

...We'll see how this turns out. :P

On a completely unrelated not, as of this post, I AM BUNNY!

• Brohoof 1

From a storytelling standpoint it could open up new possibilities as she explores her newfound nature, and how she relates to others during her changes, etc.

I believe the main objection to that is at what point does the series name switch to My Little Pony: Twilight is Magic. :)

The problem from a storytelling point of view is that the writers are having difficulty dealing with Twilight's *current* level of magical ability, when deaing with the rest of the mane 6. Because they've been pushing her as the most powerful and magically skilled unicorn of her generation, they have to make sure she's not around, or incpacitated, or hand her the idiot ball, whenever the other characters have an issue. Otherwise she just *poofs* and the problem's solved. Deliberately boosting her magical ability in-show will just make that even more difficult for the writers.

It's the same reason why the CMC episodes rarely have them truely interacting with adults. If the adults are fully aware of what's going on, they'd deal with the issue of the day or they just look like jerks.

A second example, take a closer look at the Crystal Empire episodes. There's a reason the writers did what they did with Shining and Cadance. If they hadn't been incapacitated by plot, Twilight & co. would have nothing to do except plan the party. And Cadance is weak sauce compared to what a lot of fans are thinking Twilicorn would be up to.

Yes, the writers could successfully pull this off, but they'd be making their own jobs harder by doing so.

• Brohoof 2

Twinhead, Did ya read my previous posts? It looks to be more of a matter of enlightenment and perspective than raw magical power, which even if it is increased comes gradually, not *snap* instant Luna/Celestia level.

What do we do with the rest of the Mane 6, then? Throw them away? Deux Ex them as well? The point I'm trying to make is that Twilight doesn't need to become an Alicorn to improve her magic, and putting her on the same level as Celestia and Luna instantaneous or not would ruin the dynamic of the show.

A good deal of Twilight-centric episode revolve around her physical weaknesses and lack of mastery in her magic. Even in episodes that aren't focused on Twilight those flaws are a big part of her character. Episodes such as Lesson Zero, Magic Duel, Winter Wrap Up, Fall Weather Friends, and Too Many Pinkie Pies.

Like I said before, change for the sake of change is a bad idea. Twilight doesn't need to be an Alicorn in order to master her magic.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, I guess the problem would be size, and having more power than the rest of her friends would kinda separate her; make her higher up than them. She wouldn't need them any more.

...We'll see how this turns out. :P

On a completely unrelated not, as of this post, I AM BUNNY!

But shes already more powerful than the other mane six. And shes still becoming better at mage while the others exept for RD(She is still isnt in the WB acadamy) arent improving at all. Her gaining a wing wich she would barely use will barely change her

Because to Hasbro, pony princess now means Alicorn. That was the sole purpose of creating Cadence in the first place. And the reason Celestia is a Princess instead of a Queen. 

Also, the amount of merchandise that's popping up as evidence doesn't help. Wether or not bronies exist, in the end as long as this show exists, Hasbro will still keep marketing to the little girls. And to them, Pony Princess with horns and wings sell. And if they can add more characters to that line, they most likely will.

Alicorn doesn't mean royalty, however Hasbro has us to believe that every alicorn represents royalty, which is wrong in my opinion.

As people have said, there are alicorn that don't belong to royalty, so no, if Twilight becomes an alicorn (Thing i don't want) she doesn't have to become a princess.

Well, all the Alicorns on the show that we know of are princesses, but that doesn't really mean anything. Has it even been confirmed that Twilight will even become an Alicorn? If she does though, I really don't think she'll become a princess, at least not yet. But you never know...

Well, all the Alicorns on the show that we know of are princesses, but that doesn't really mean anything. Has it even been confirmed that Twilight will even become an Alicorn? If she does though, I really don't think she'll become a princess, at least not yet. But you never know...

Then what does "Twilight Sparkle Princess" on the April MLP DVD mean? :P I'll see if I can find a link...

There. found it. http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/01/possible-new-dvd-in-april-twilight.html?

Not sure what it could mean, but it could, of course, mean that Twilight Sparkle will be a princess. :P

• Brohoof 1

Then what does "Twilight Sparkle Princess" on the April MLP DVD mean? :P I'll see if I can find a link...

There. found it. http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/01/possible-new-dvd-in-april-twilight.html?

Not sure what it could mean, but it could, of course, mean that Twilight Sparkle will be a princess. :P

Notice how it says "Possible" in the title. All the links I clicked on didn't have an image on the DVD. While April still is months away, and they might not have the DVD art ready yet, there's still a possibility that this whole thing could be a hoax. I'm still not 100% convinced, although you did provide some good information. Edited by Betez

Sure, the princess is something you're born to be, not something you achieve, but...

Hasbro does not care. I see no problem with that, anyway.

She deserves it! She saved Equestria more times than Celestia did in a 1000 years.

How do you know what Celestia has done in 1000 years? We know a little about all that time after all.

• Brohoof 1