Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Twilight Sparkle Alicorn/Princess Speculation [SPOILERS]

ponyvangelist

614 users have voted

1. 1. Would you approve of Twilight becoming an alicorn?

• Yes!
    • Maybe...
    • NO.

Twilight is about to become a pony version of Goku.

While I agree with all that you've said. I have to disagree with this little comment. The reason I find Goku likeable is that he worked with the resources around him to improve his natural talents. Super Saiyan state is as natural to the Saiyans as the Oozaru state is. It's just much harder to attain, and only few do because of how hard it is. The Super Saiyan legend kind of reminds me of how Star Swirl the bearded is portrayed as in the show. Goku fullfilled what the Legendary Super Saiyan did, Twilight seemed to be about to fullfill what StarSwirl did.

Looking at it, part of why I like Goku is part of why I like Twilight. Naturally talented and made the best of their natural talents and abilities to become better.

Twilight being turned into an alicorn feels like Goku wishing to Shenron or Purunga for more power.

Edited by himanuts

While I agree with all that you've said. I have to disagree with this little comment. The reason I find Goku likeable is that he worked with the resources around him to improve his natural talents. Super Saiyan state is as natural to the Saiyans as the Oozaru state is. It's just much harder to attain, and only few do because of how hard it is. The Super Saiyan legend kind of reminds me of how Star Swirl the bearded is portrayed as in the show. Goku fullfilled what the Legendary Super Saiyan did, Twilight seemed to be about to fullfill what StarSwirl did.

Looking at it, part of why I like Goku is part of why I like Twilight. Naturally talented and made the best of their natural talents and abilities to become better.

Twilight being turned into an alicorn feels like Goku wishing to Shenron or Purunga for more power.

I love your goku analogy in comparison to twilight. I feel like she relates to goku in terms of working for what she earned. Such s working to discover the power of friendship and realizing the power of the element of harmony. When she unlocked MAGIC by connecting with her friends. Siilar to how Goku trained and progressively got stronger.

I didn't mean the becoming Goku comment to sound that negative, it's just that all the other main characters are going to "fall behind" as it were. Twilight has worked hard and proven that she is indeed very talented, and she deserves to be rewarded for everything she's accomplished, you'll never see me argue otherwise.  

But It's not Twilight I'm worried about, it's the fate of the remaining Mane six that concerns me. Yes, it's awesome to see Twilight move on to the next level, but what about the others? The show is about Twilight and her friends, not about Twilight becoming a Princess and leaving them in the dust. I know twilight won't just leave them behind, but as an Alicorn, she's just gong to be so much better then them, which would destroy the group dynamic that we've all come to love. And your Saiyan analogy is dead on, that's what the Alicorns are. But the regular ponies? They're the humans, which have no chance to ever be important in comparison. At best, they get to run distraction duty while Twilight does all of the heavy lifting. Just like every character in DBZ that wasn't a Saiyan past the Namek saga. 

So yes, she's going to become a pony Goku, which is awesome. But everyone else? They're all Krillen now, which is not awesome. 

• Brohoof 1

I didn't mean the becoming Goku comment to sound that negative, it's just that all the other main characters are going to "fall behind" as it were. Twilight has worked hard and proven that she is indeed very talented, and she deserves to be rewarded for everything she's accomplished, you'll never see me argue otherwise.  

But It's not Twilight I'm worried about, it's the fate of the remaining Mane six that concerns me. Yes, it's awesome to see Twilight move on to the next level, but what about the others? The show is about Twilight and her friends, not about Twilight becoming a Princess and leaving them in the dust. I know twilight won't just leave them behind, but as an Alicorn, she's just gong to be so much better then them, which would destroy the group dynamic that we've all come to love. And your Saiyan analogy is dead on, that's what the Alicorns are. But the regular ponies? They're the humans, which have no chance to ever be important in comparison. At best, they get to run distraction duty while Twilight does all of the heavy lifting. Just like every character in DBZ that wasn't a Saiyan past the Namek saga. 

So yes, she's going to become a pony Goku, which is awesome. But everyone else? They're all Krillen now, which is not awesome. 

Oh no, I didn't find it negative at all, and I apologize if I did make it look like I did. You're comment just made me realize what I mentioned in the last post.

In the context of Goku compared to his human friends. Yes. It resembles what may be a possible outsome to all this. The Super Saiyans outclassed the humans by far by the end of the series. And possible the new Dragon Ball movie coming out may be the best example of this. Goku is battling gods now. 

• Brohoof 1

1: Celestia is FAR more powerful than any single pony in the show. She negated Twilight's magic, who is quite arguably the most powerful Unicorn in the show, more than once with minimal effort. Luna should be equal if not right behind her in terms of power. Plus, can you name any other ponies that can move the sun and moon by themselves? Nope, only Celestia and Luna can do it, because their power far outclasses every other pony in the show. 

2: Nightmare Moon was Luna + dark powers. So her defeating Celestia makes makes sense. 

3: Chrysalis had a massive power boost when she beat Celestia. and even then, she had to strain to win, her look of surprise when she won says it all. Chrysalis is also the most powerful member of her race, so she's not exactly a push over. She was able to capture Candace after all. 

4: Discord is the most powerful being in the show, so losing to him does not mean you're weak. He's literally a cartoon version of Q from Star Trek, they even have the same actor. 

5: Also, who was the only pony that was able to hold Sombra off long enough for Twilight to get the crystal hart? Candace...who is an Alicorn.

So yes, Alicorns ARE far better than the other pony races. Twilight becoming one is going to put her so far above her friends that it's not even funny. The other five are about to become "those guys" because Twilight is about to become a pony version of Goku, which is the exact reason I'm apprehensive about this whole thing. 

1.) Celestia is also as i mentioned is over 1000 years old and has over 1000 years of experience. Twilight is strong in magic but she clearly still is learning and will most likely continue learning. I seriously doubt becoming an alicorn will grant her over 1000 years worth of knowlege, power, and experience. We cant even be certain this will imediatly grant any more power than she already has, only the unlocked potential to do more.

2-3-4) your missing the point entirely. The argument made is that the others become useless, which isnt true as no alicorn has ever solved a crisis on screen by herself, they have always needed help from what you consider the lesser equines. In fact almost every conflict is entirely solved by the "lesser equines". The other ponies will not become useless.

5.)Cadence specialty is "love and light", which is what kept sombra away. It was the counter to his dark magic.If it was anyone else Shining would have been just as capable. Also Sombra was able to drive Cadence(an alicorn) to the point of absolute physical exhaustion drain her magic. Yes Sombra who is a unicorn. Sombra who even in defeat was victorious erasing an entire kingdom from reality for 1000 years whilst also erasing the memories of an entire race. you under estimate the other races. 

So no it isn't clear that Alicorns are a superior race, only that they tend to be good at magic. Heck Cadence and Shining seem pretty much equal in power(in their own specialties) from what we have seen.

The comparison to goku can only be made until after the episode has aired maybe. We might not get a measure of her power. However, it doesnt matter much as this is a character driven show. The ponies aren't going to be fighting opponents like Cell in a one to one fight very often, so thier battle prowess/ magical abilities aren't whats important here. Though even in the event that Twilight becomes a super sayian the other ponies would still be indispensable as the elements of harmony are the most powerful magic known in Equestria and without one of the elements all of them become useless. 

Edited by Anadu Kune
  • Brohoof 1

I've got a lot of mixed feelings over the Twilicorn thing as well.  Becoming a princess is one thing, but tinkering with a character's design is quite another-- if Twilight were just to become a princess I think we'd probably see a lot less drama (since, as many have said, it ruins the group dynamic and makes Twilight appear more powerful than she needs to appear).  At least I'm pleased with the way that the writers are going to go about making her that way, even if it is somewhat convoluted.

But more importantly, I could see a great positive turn for the direction of the show.  When Twilight is a princess we'll probably see more emphasis on the workings of Equestria as a whole-- its politics, economy, and the like.  If Twilight is to "grow up" as it were, we might see the show get into weightier matters-- things such as justice, war, diplomacy, redistribution of wealth human (pony) welfare-- to expand on the friendship theme.  Although a good number of philosophers would say that a "micro" human institution like friendship differs so fundamentally in kind than a "macro" human relationship such as a nation that the principles that govern both must be very different as well, I can see the writers making some clever connections between what Twilight learned in her "micro" stage to her new "macro" role. 

1.) Celestia is also as i mentioned is over 1000 years old and has over 1000 years of experience. Twilight is strong in magic but she clearly still is learning and will most likely continue learning. I seriously doubt becoming an alicorn will grant her over 1000 years worth of knowlege, power, and experience. We cant even be certain this will imediatly grant any more power than she already has, only the unlocked potential to do more.

2-3-4) your missing the point entirely. The argument made is that the others become useless, which isnt true as no alicorn has ever solved a crisis on screen by herself, they have always needed help from what you consider the lesser equines. In fact almost every conflict is entirely solved by the "lesser equines". The other ponies will not become useless.

5.)Cadence specialty was is love, which is what kept sombra away. It was the counter to his dark magic.If it was anyone else Shining would have been just as capable. Also Sombra was able to drive Cadence(an alicorn) to the point of absolute physical exhaustion drain her magic. Yes Sombra who is a unicorn. Sombra who even in defeat was victorious erasing an entire kingdom from reality for 1000 years whilst also erasing the memories of an entire race. you under estimate the other races. 

So no it isn't clear that Alicorns are a superior race, only that they tend to be good at magic. Heck Cadence and Shining seem pretty much equal in power(in their own specialties) from what we have seen.

The comparison to goku can only be made until after the episode has aired maybe. We might not get a measure of her power. However, it doesnt matter much as this is a character driven show. The ponies aren't going to be fighting opponents like Cell in a one to one fight very often, so thier battle prowess/ magical abilities aren't whats important here. Though even in the event that Twilight becomes a super sayian the other ponies would still be indispensable as the elements of harmony are the most powerful magic known in Equestria and without one of the elements all of them become useless. 

1: You missed my point. Celestia and Luna have both proven to be far beyond any other pony seen in the series. The only conclusion is that, yes, they are both far more powerful than any normal pony could ever hope to be. Twilight becoming one means that her potential is going to skyrocket, as you said. The problem is, we've seen that Alicorns can do things no other pony can (at least on their own) but add that power to Twilight's already immense magical skill and you've just made all of her friends borderline useless. Why rely on a group of normal ponies to solve a problem when you've got an Alicorn as the main character? 

2-4: Since both Celestia and Luna are several tiers in power above the main cast, their presence alone would have enough to stop the majority of the problems faced by Twilight and her friends. But the show isn't about them, so they didn't get to appear. And to be honest, if Celestia hadn't lost the ability to control the Elements of Harmony, Twilight wouldn't even be needed. And all of the major threats were beaten with either a magical artifact or the power of an Alicorn (Candace using her and Shining love as an example)

That's right, no normal pony, including Twilight, ever overcame a major threat on their own. They needed help. But now Twilight is going be either at the same level as the other Alicorns, or have the potential to to be at that level. But the other five main characters? Nope, they're going to be out of their weight class. 

3: Only Candace was able to hold Sombra off. How she did it is not the point, because she (an Alicorn) was the only one with the means to repel him. No other pony had that power, only she did. So again, Alicorn > normal pony. And Sombra was anything but normal. He may have started as an normal unicorn, but he became something else entirely when that dark magic gave him his powers. And remember, Shining DID try to fight Sombra...and he failed, because he wasn't strong enough. 

So yes, Alicorns are in fact better than the other pony races at just about everything. But like you said, Twilight being so much more powerful than her friends isn't the real problem, as fighting monsters isn't the point of the series. I'm not worried that she's going to be what amounts to a demi-god. It's her friends I'm worried for. 

Think about. One of your best friends just become the same type of being that your entire race virtually worships as a god. That's cool right? And you're happy for her, but what about you? You're still going to be hanging around her since she's your friend, but now she's so much better than she was before...so much better than YOU. Each member of your group of friends had a role to play, and they did it well. But now that Twilight can do everything you can do and so much more, where does that leave you? Or any member of the group for that matter? 

That's my entire point. Not that Twilight is moving up in life, but that the other main characters are about to become unnecessary. Sure, the writers will try and not change the group that much I'm sure. But it won't matter, the Mane six as we've come to love is gone. The show's message has changed from "My friends help me grow into a better person!" to "All my friends are special, but none of them are as special as me!" 

HOWEVER! As I don't want to come across as completely negative, I'm gonna switch gears and comment on how this could be the best move ever. If done right, this Alicorn thing could open up a CRAP ton of world-building possibilities, as Twilight and her friends might need to go out into the world and help Twilight with this development. I love world-building, so this possibility appeals to me, and it'd be cool to see more of the pony world. 

Also, this whole event could mean that the characters are maturing. Which is also awesome. Change is needed to keep any series fresh, so we might be seeing the start of the show taking an overall turn for the better. Season 3 has been, for the most part, pure awesomeness  And season 4 might be even better, assuming they don't botch this Alicorn thing that is. 

Expansion. I'm pretty sure that Hasbro is not going to let the series go anytime soon. We're constantly getting more and more merchandise, we have an ongoing comic series and so much more. You wouldn't pour that many resources into a series if you planned to can it in the near future. Generation 4 is here to stay for the long run. If more big changes to the series come, we might very well see generation 4 get bigger than it already is. Considering how popular the show is now, the possibilities for the future are limitless. 

So...much...typing. I think I gave myself a small migraine putting this wall-o-text together  :lol:

• Brohoof 3

I know a lot of people seem to think Twilight will become instantly OP, but if she does indeed permanently stay an alicorn it would be interesting to see her learn how to use her new powers, especially if she doesn't know anything about them.

It would be great if she didn't know how to fly (Maybe giving us an episode where she learns from Rainbow, maybe alongside Scootaloo).

Edited by Ion

alicorn twilight is permanent? ;~;

i don't want my little twily to be changed. she's my favorite pony. i don't want the show changed forever either. change scares me. why must they upset the balance? if it ain't broken, DONT FIX IT.

i still love mlp no matter what, but this news is quite alarming. guess we have to wait till the episode airs and see how things go down.

Edited by crazitaco

It's happening. Also since this whole crazy mess is happening I'm also going to assume that they're killing offCelestia to make Twilight replace her and that Spike is having a child named Groove.

Edited by Harmonic Revelations
  • Brohoof 1

I'm fairly sure she's going to be permanent alicorn. In the EW.com article, McCarthy says that Twilight will be going through new challenges being a princess and with her new wings. That's all fine and good, but this show won't be the same if the Mane 6 aren't involved as much anymore. I mean, if she's away in Canterlot, the other Mane 6 won't always get to see her. And things won't be the same. It's something you shouldn't break: the Mane 6 make the whole show, not just Twilight Sparkle.

I'm concerned that this is the route they're going for: the Twilight Sparkle show with the Mane 6 as background characters. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm nervous this might happen.

Just because it's coming up, I would like to point out that a lot of people have the idea of Twilight actually becoming an Alicorn in the epsiode coming out 2/13. I would't say that wouldn't be awesome, but that would change the show big time major. I would be a fan of it if there wasn't so many fan-fics about Twi being an Alicorn already. So basically what I'm saying is that you should watch carefully because who knows what's true and what's false.

I for one, fully support Twilight Sparkle becoming an alicorn princess. Personally, I think the fandom is getting waaay to riled up about this. Wait until you see the episode before judging. Honestly, I don't think Twilicorn is being given a fair chance. Just give it a chance my fellow bronies and pegasisters! Have faith in the creative team!(Even though Twilicorn was probably more so a hasbro decision.) I am certain that even through transformation, Twilight will be the same mare we all know and love.

Plus: an episode where RD tries to teach Twilight how to fly would be funny. XD

• Brohoof 1

MAN.  This has just been spoiled EVERYWHERE hasn't it.

Anyway, I really, really LOVED the idea of an alicorn princess Twilight, but no one else does, and apparantly even the CREATORS hate the idea.  Too bad about Hasbro taking more control and completely eliminating Derpy, but I won't complain until the episodes start getting bad.

• Brohoof 1

The more I think about this, the less worried I get. After all, these writers have been doing these stories, writing these characters for more than three years now (you have to remember that just because FiM aired on 10/10/10, the writing probably begin at least six months beforehand), and I'm confident they'll be able to make this work well, or at the very least make it believable.

Will the show be the same as previous seasons? Probably not. But, I'm confident we will all love it just the same. It's a shame that so many bronies have already jumped ship, though..

• Brohoof 1

The Sparkle Of Royalty

post-2150-0-40987600-1359728415.jpg

Oh my goodness. I just found out. They really went there!

While I tend to be skeptical of these sorts of things, I seriously doubt Entertainment Weekly would expose themselves to all sorts of legal jeopardy by publishing false claims about Friendship is Magic, so I must conclude this is the real deal. I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised, considering I was inspired to start this thread in the first place, but I am surprised they did this so soon.

My current working theory is that the Princess Coronation Episode may well have originally been planned as the series finale, considering the fact that Season Three was half the length of the first two, making our beloved show (so far, anyway) a 65-Episode Cartoon. Thankfully, this probably doesn't herald the end of the series, though I suspect the showrunners may have not known that themselves when they produced S03E13.

Meanwhile, reaction to the news is understandably all over the place. Frankly, I'm not sure how I feel about it myself, though I do feel somewhat vindicated in believing Twilight's destiny was to indeed become a royal princess.

Princess Twilight. Alicorn. Oh my.

That is definitely going to take some getting used to. :P

Well, having a period of time to think about it all, I can safely say that I know where my feelings are on the matter.

Absolutely fucking everywhere. I don't know for sure, and I don't want to know for sure if it's a temporary or permanent change in her. I don't believe this will change her drastically as a character - she will get wings. Whooptie-fuckin-do. 

While I didn't like the idea of Twilight becoming an Alicorn originally, I have to say - there's nothing we can do about it, and I have come to accept it. I'm willing to give the writers a chance, because why wouldn't I? It's been all good so far right? 

Besides, Twilight is SO cute with wings, It would be disappointing to see them go after we had gotten used to them :( 

• Brohoof 1

I really don't want Twilight to be Princess...I think it'd ruin a lot of things.

As for Luna's jelously, I completely agree. I was very excited when I saw her in the 8 minute teaser, and even more so when I noticed how bitter she seemed.

She was defeated by Twilight with the Elements of Harmony; the same way Celestia banished her to the moon. When she returned, she sees that sister dearest now treasures Twilight's company.

Discord's attacking?

"It's ok Luna, I'll call Twilight."

Chrysalis destroying Canterlot and overthrowing Celestia?

"I'll call Twilight, and she can save me when I get overthrown."

IT returns?

"I know you and I defeated him together in the past Luna, but I'll call Twilight."

Seriously. I'd be jelous too.

Celestia pretty much blows Luna off and looks to Twilight for everything. Twilight adores her, and Luna probably adored Celestia, her older sister, much in the same way. But Luna got taken over by jelousy because somepony else was getting more attention then she was.

I think Luna has a bigger role in all this.

Hell, Somber or Sombra or whatever might even convince Luna to join him at some point. I'd love to see Celestia fight for her sister wink.png

where did you see the 8 min teaser for the episode? is there a way to see it online? i tried searching youtube but nothing came up. 

where did you see the 8 min teaser for the episode? is there a way to see it online? i tried searching youtube but nothing came up. 

I assumed they were commenting on the 8 minute teaser of the Crystal Empire episode, since that was the one with bitter Luna in it

(edited)

A Wing And A Prayer

Besides, Twilight is SO cute with wings, It would be disappointing to see them go after we had gotten used to them

That's kind of where I'm at. Up until now, I had assumed they wouldn't actually make Twilight a princess nor an alicorn anytime soon, but would save it for a series finisher. And an awesome finisher it would have been.

But whether Hasbro pushed the move to sell toys, it was part of the overall artistic (post-Faustian) arc or S03E13 was, in fact, expected to be the series finisher when it was made, it looks like Twilight the Alicorn Princess will be official canon in a couple of weeks.

Of course, as some have suggested, maybe her alicornity is temporary, as part of the plot for the episode. Maybe, but I doubt it, since it's highly unlikely they would trot out an entire line of Alicorn Twilight toys for just one episode.

Nope, I think this is the real deal, and while I share some of those jump-the-shark worries with fellow fans, I will also admit to being rather smitten with Twilight's new look. If anypony could carry off something like this, it's definitely Twilight. And though she may be royalty now, the show has already proven beyond all doubt that royalty and perfection do not necessarily go hoof in hoof.

So I wonder what her new title will be? I'm thinking she will be styled Twilight Sparkle, Princess of Magic. She will be to Magic what Celestia is to the Sun, Luna is to the Moon, and Cadance is to Love.

post-2150-0-49208700-1359757179_thumb.png

Princess Twilight? I think I can get used to that. ^_^

P.S. Here's hoping we get to see a scene showing Rainbow Dash checking out Twilight's new wings. I wonder what she will think about them? Also, does this mean Twilight can be on the Weather Team for Winter Wrap Up this year? <_<

Edited by ponyvangelist
  • Brohoof 5

Unless they throw us a real plot screwball like Derpy being Celestia's mom, I guess that this might not be too horrible.

...And come on, these are writers that pulled off good so far, and I can think of a few plots that could force something as storychanging as, just take the example of Derpy being Celestia's mom or whatnot, and still make coherent canonical sense, so why worry?

Sit back and enjoy the awesome.

• Brohoof 1

I assumed they were commenting on the 8 minute teaser of the Crystal Empire episode, since that was the one with bitter Luna in it

That makes soo much more sense now. i feel so silly. thanks bunches!! 

Note to self: next time i think i'll look at the date... :) hehehehe

• Brohoof 1

What annoys me about Twilight-as-princess is that it smacks of pandering to a stereotype that should have been tossed in the cultural dust bin long ago. Meghan McCarthy puts a good face on it, but I still hear Hasbro corporate forcing the princess stereotype in our faces.  Yuck.  <_<

• Brohoof 3

Unless they throw us a real plot screwball like Derpy being Celestia's mom, I guess that this might not be too horrible.

Don't jinx it.

After seeing some photos of Princess Twilight, I'm kind of liking the look. I mean, I guess it doesn't fit in with the rest of the mane six, but who says she has to dress like a princess all the time? 

• Brohoof 1