Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Twilight Sparkle Alicorn/Princess Speculation [SPOILERS]

ponyvangelist

614 users have voted

1. 1. Would you approve of Twilight becoming an alicorn?

• Yes!
    • Maybe...
    • NO.

Yet another place her being a princess yet staying in Ponyville was confirmed:

http://www.themarysue.com/tara-strong-interview/

"Well the good news is, Twilight is going to stay Twilight. She is overwhelmed and surprised and grateful for this new phase in her life but it’s not going to change how she is or how she interacts with her friends, she’s staying in Ponyville. I’m certainly not changing any of my performance and it’s really the same Twilight except she can do more stuff now. She can fly…it’s not going to change the overall feel of the show, she’s going to be with the Mane 6. It’s just Twilight but a little bit better, she can do more stuff! But overall, it’s not really going to change that much. I think that’s what everybody’s afraid of, that it’s going to change sort of that core element that everyone fell in love with these six characters and that’s not going to change at all. I’m not changing a thing about my performance."

It depends what 'duties' she has. To be fair, Twilight and co have had some 'duties' as such throughout the series. Seeing to the inspector in Games Ponies Play, reforming Discord, getting rid of a dragon, helping with the Canterlot wedding etc. I don't think Twilight would give up being a princess or an alicorn, (though if she did it'd be a dream come true...) but I reckon she'd shun the usual 'royal' lifestyle. i.e. Getting bowed to, wearing a crown all the time, being waited on hoof and... hoof... I think like another user posted before, she'd end up as more of 'The People's Princess', and act as an equal to every other member of society.

Yeah, that at the very least. She wouldn't consider herself any better than anyone else, nor would she accept being treated as such. 

I agree though. This isn't just going to be a straightforward transformation.

My main issue with it is that it throws off the ratio of ponies in the Mane 6, namely, where it was 2-2-2, now it's 2-1-1-2. Of course, if you add Cadence and Shining Armor, who have been getting some screentime, the ratio balances again, at 2 each. I'm genuinely curious to see how they move the story going forward, and to see what new changes are going to happen.

I've heard from somewhere that season four ep 1 and 2 will be mainly do focused on Twilight settling into royalty. But she WILL stay in ponyville somehow, and she will NOT leave her friends. I have no idea how they'll execute this, I mean seriously. How is she going to handle her royal duties and interact with her friends at the same time?

• Brohoof 1

She will remain as an alicorn and remain in Ponyville. She will basically still interact with her friends, and maintain her royal duties. Pretty much, nothing will change until later in Season 4 but we continue to wait.

I've detailed this out somewhere else, but I can't find it right now, but looking at Seasons 1-3 with respect to RL politics, Twilight has been treated like an extension of royal authority ever since she arrived in Ponyville. It's likely she doesn't realize that though.

Remember, technically Twilight is just the librarian in Seasons 1-3. However, it has been demonstrated that she can walk into any situation normally run by the local government (such as officially greeting the Princess when she arrives, organizing major town events, etc.) and simply take over. If you watch the Mayor in the background when Twilight pulls this, you can almost see the frustration with which the Mayor does not believe she can tell Twilight no. Instead the Mayor attempts to direct Twilight into tasks that allow the Mayor to retain the illusion of authority. As far as the Mayor seems to be concerned, Twilight is exercising the power of a Governor, an official representative of the Princess and wielder of executive mandate.

Now as I said, Twilight is young and naïve enough that she may not have realized this yet. But now being officially 'crowned', she may start to notice how the Mayor and other authority figures have behaved around her and how she has always been treated differently than her friends. Basically, to the Mayor and the like, nothing has actually changed here except some technicalities. They were treating her as an extension of Princess Celestia anyway, so her now having her own title effectively changes nothing to them other than manner of address.

Likely this will upset her, and there we have the tension for an episode or two.

So no, likely not much will change, other than something that has been happening anyway will be made official.

Of course, this is all over-analysis, and what will likely happen is that nothing will substantially change because the writers don't want anything to substantially change. However, I now have a headcannon excuse for it. laugh.png

• Brohoof 2

There are apparently still 2 more parts to Season 3's Finale that will appear as Episodes 1 and 2 of Season 4, So anything is likely. But truthfully I have faith in the development team. Im ok with her staying as an Alicorn and Im ok with her going back to just a Unicorn, either way she will still technically be a Princess in Celestia's eyes atleast.

Plus everypony respects her, she is given authority because she can handle the responsibility of it ...

So to answer the question in a short but simple statement...

Who knows? Lets just trust the development team :D

I see no reason why Twilight couldn't continue in her studies in Ponyville, despite the change in title and obvious other changes highlighted by Fhaolan. I agree, this will probably cause some stress, but the developers have been consistent at the proverbial plate so far, I see no reason why they'd suddenly change.

I've detailed this out somewhere else, but I can't find it right now, but looking at Seasons 1-3 with respect to RL politics, Twilight has been treated like an extension of royal authority ever since she arrived in Ponyville. It's likely she doesn't realize that though.

Remember, technically Twilight is just the librarian in Seasons 1-3. However, it has been demonstrated that she can walk into any situation normally run by the local government (such as officially greeting the Princess when she arrives, organizing major town events, etc.) and simply take over. If you watch the Mayor in the background when Twilight pulls this, you can almost see the frustration with which the Mayor does not believe she can tell Twilight no. Instead the Mayor attempts to direct Twilight into tasks that allow the Mayor to retain the illusion of authority. As far as the Mayor seems to be concerned, Twilight is exercising the power of a Governor, an official representative of the Princess and wielder of executive mandate.

Now as I said, Twilight is young and naïve enough that she may not have realized this yet. But now being officially 'crowned', she may start to notice how the Mayor and other authority figures have behaved around her and how she has always been treated differently than her friends. Basically, to the Mayor and the like, nothing has actually changed here except some technicalities. They were treating her as an extension of Princess Celestia anyway, so her now having her own title effectively changes nothing to them other than manner of address.

Likely this will upset her, and there we have the tension for an episode or two.

So no, likely not much will change, other than something that has been happening anyway will be made official.

Of course, this is all over-analysis, and what will likely happen is that nothing will substantially change because the writers don't want anything to substantially change. However, I now have a headcannon excuse for it. img-1298444-1-laugh.png

That is awesome analysis and I think you are correct. She's always been shown deference by being Celestia's student and her representative in Ponyville. Her brother is captain of the royal guard and maybe a prince by marriage. Her sister-in-law is a princess and the niece of Celestia and so Celestia's niece-in-law.

That is awesome analysis and I think you are correct. She's always been shown deference by being Celestia's student and her representative in Ponyville. Her brother is captain of the royal guard and maybe a prince by marriage. Her sister-in-law is a princess and the niece of Celestia and so Celestia's niece-in-law.

I've always wondered, since Celestia has nieces (and one nephew, if Rarity's imagination in "Ticket Master" is to be believed), who are their parents?

I've always wondered, since Celestia has nieces (and one nephew, if Rarity's imagination in "Ticket Master" is to be believed), who are their parents?

I've heard that they are adopted. That isn't canon, but may be from the writers during interviews. I don't think Celestia and Luna have other siblings. Why they would say niece and not daughter is unclear.

It's possible that anyone who becomes an alicorn is automatically considered a 'niece' of Celestia and Luna. In the same way that European nobility in the Middle Ages tended to refer to each other as 'cousins', even without any actual relationship, in order to establish ties and connections. I haven't read the Crystal Heart book yet to see if there is any indication about Cadence's status or relations were before her alicoronation.

It's possible that anyone who becomes an alicorn is automatically considered a 'niece' of Celestia and Luna. In the same way that European nobility in the Middle Ages tended to refer to each other as 'cousins', even without any actual relationship, in order to establish ties and connections. I haven't read the Crystal Heart book yet to see if there is any indication about Cadence's status or relations were before her alicoronation.

Ok, that makes sense, since we haven't seen any male alicorns yet, to my knowledge anyway. Still, it made me wonder, because usually, if a person has a niece or nephew, they have a sibling that has had children. Perhaps it's something like the idea of godparents and godchildren.

It depends what 'duties' she has. To be fair, Twilight and co have had some 'duties' as such throughout the series. Seeing to the inspector in Games Ponies Play, reforming Discord, getting rid of a dragon, helping with the Canterlot wedding etc. I don't think Twilight would give up being a princess or an alicorn, (though if she did it'd be a dream come true...) but I reckon she'd shun the usual 'royal' lifestyle. i.e. Getting bowed to, wearing a crown all the time, being waited on hoof and... hoof... I think like another user posted before, she'd end up as more of 'The People's Princess', and act as an equal to every other member of society.

Yeah, I guess. I meant more boring stuff that was for only her to do. The kind of things that will seperate her from her friends, and cause he to have that realization and quit or something. 

My overall point is that it will not be straightforward from here.

Now as I said, Twilight is young and naïve enough that she may not have realized this yet. But now being officially 'crowned', she may start to notice how the Mayor and other authority figures have behaved around her and how she has always been treated differently than her friends. Basically, to the Mayor and the like, nothing has actually changed here except some technicalities. They were treating her as an extension of Princess Celestia anyway, so her now having her own title effectively changes nothing to them other than manner of address.

Nice! I'm glad somebody else noticed this to. Yes, Twilight has no formal rank, but as Celestia's personal student or apprentice, her informal rank is sky-high. And thus her leap to Princesshood is, in practical terms, not as high as it might seem.

Why not leave Ponyville to a distant kingdom which has lost its friendship, and the Mane six must assemble to restore its full glory while harnessing their elements along the way. Because it has totally never been done before amirite?

Hmm... I've seen fanfics about Twilight moving to Canterlot, and a new pony coming in, and however sad it may be, that's what I believe is going to happen.

Yea that isnt going to happen it was confirmed by I THINK Tara strong that twilight will stay in Ponyville and other then the first episode or 2 nothing is going to change other then her having wings.

I don't really know. I think it can go two ways:

- She stays in Ponyville with royal duties, but then what of Mayor Mare?

- She will pretty much have the same role + wings.

They already said little would change. They need to prove it and stick with it, lest the writers be liars.

Maybe the adventures will be taken outside of Ponyville more often. I mean, they did say Manehattan and Saddle Arabia. They also mentioned Fillydelphia. Maybe Twilight would have to go to these places and do things there. But Twilight will remain as an Alicorn from this point on. 

• Brohoof 1