Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why is Rainbow Dash always drawn or depicted as being flat chested?

SongBrony

• 4 years later...

The funny thing is from my point of view Rainbow Dash does actually has curvy body type, I won't call her lean, like Applejack is, but she is more like aerodynamic curviness. Fluttershy despite the popular anime stereotype is actually more like a skinny supermodel

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2012 at 7:21 PM, SongBrony said:

I'm not sure if this is in the right place, but it's about art, so I put it here anyway.

So I've been looking through human pictures of the mane six, and in each one I have realized something...Rainbow Dash always, and I mean ALWAYS, is depicted as being flat chested. Now I know because she's athletic they're "suppose" to be smaller, but I have never pictured her as being flat. Average, yes. But not with nothing there. Am I the only one who thinks Rainbow is drawn with too flat of a chest? (Or am I the only freak here) Now I'm not talking R34. I'm talking about just your average drawings of them just hanging out or of just RD herself.

I was just about to reply, "because she's a pony" before I read the rest of your post. It's probably because most people think of tomboys as boyish in not just their attitude, but their appearance as well...

Apparently athletic tomboys are flat chested because masculinity stereotypes, and girly girls such as Fluttershy or Rarity are portrayed as having larger breasts. Especially Fluttershy who embodies the stereotype of shy girls having bigger chests.

On 2012-11-04 at 5:21 PM, SongBrony said:

I'm not sure if this is in the right place, but it's about art, so I put it here anyway.

So I've been looking through human pictures of the mane six, and in each one I have realized something...Rainbow Dash always, and I mean ALWAYS, is depicted as being flat chested. Now I know because she's athletic they're "suppose" to be smaller, but I have never pictured her as being flat. Average, yes. But not with nothing there. Am I the only one who thinks Rainbow is drawn with too flat of a chest? (Or am I the only freak here) Now I'm not talking R34. I'm talking about just your average drawings of them just hanging out or of just RD herself.

Hi, this thread may have been in the right place once upon a time, but as of the time it has been bumped, there exists and Equestria Girls forum, so I will move it there.

• 2 weeks later...

Dash is supposed to be athletic and fit build. Boobs contain a looot of fat, so if you work out more, you eventually loose weight on your chest, but its VERY hard to do. But its also a genetic thing. I am like 4 cup sizes bigger than my Mum or my sister, i've always wondered where my boobs came from in the family. o.O 

Also why is Fluttershy always the one drawn with giant boobs? super skinny lanky girls tend to be quite small - at least everyone i know with that build are. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6.11.2012 at 3:27 PM, Bucky McGillyCuddy said:

I guess rainbow Dash is depicted as kind of tom-boyish, so the artist might pick up on that and use the flat chest as a way to cut back on the feminine side. But i don't see how it matters.

Exactly. By making her chest flat, they make her look more masculine so that her appearance fits her personality.

On 10.11.2012 at 1:43 AM, BatteryBiscuits said:

The same question could be said about why fluttershy is depicted as a girl with huge knockers.

I don't think it's the shy anime girl trope, like some have said. This might be rooted much deeper.

I think artists depict her with big boobs and hips because she's the motherly type, the most caring, gentle and warm one of the mane six. And we subconsciously attribute big breasts and hips with motherhood (I mean, just take a look at all the ancient goddesses of fertility and childbirth!) Big breasts are supposed to represent her caring, motherly nature. :squee:

• Brohoof 1

Not only flat chested, I often see her as the shortest one. It's a huge stereotype about small sized hyperactive girls.

On 26/9/2017 at 2:03 PM, Merion said:

I don't think it's the shy anime girl trope, like some have said. This might be rooted much deeper.

I think artists depict her with big boobs and hips because she's the motherly type, the most caring, gentle and warm one of the mane six. And we subconsciously attribute big breasts and hips with motherhood (I mean, just take a look at all the ancient goddesses of fertility and childbirth!) Big breasts are supposed to represent her caring, motherly nature. :squee:

Yes, the big breast caring motherly type is also a huge stereotype, and it is actually used a lot on anime. You've found the source, but it's the same stereotype.

Because of the stereotype that athletic characters are small and flat chested, an argument that falls flat on its face when so many athletic characters like AJ, Spitfire and even freaking Lightning Dust are often are depicted as tall and busty

And quite honestly it's really freaking obnoxious