Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

[Rumor] Disney to be Ruler of Equestria?

Strife

Disney has recently acquired LucasFilms, and this has gained a lot of media attention ... but what is Disney aiming for next?

I've always thought it might be a company that is right up their alley, already focusing on their original target audience ... it only makes sense, right?

Well, my prediction may come to fruition. Disney may be looking at Hasbro for their next buyout. Still, it's only a rumor at this point, but the acquisition of LuscanFilms was also simply a rumor ... up to the point it was announced.

If the deal does go through, Disney will be in control of a lot of big franchises, including:

My Little Pony

G.I. Joe

Transformers

Dungeons and Dragons

Magic: The Gathering

Nerf

(these being only some)

Hasbro does have a record with making poor business choices in terms of their franchises, with Disney having a far better reputation ... but would it be a good or bad thing? Hard to say!

• Brohoof 2

Disney has recently acquired LucasFilms, and this has gained a lot of media attention ... but what is Disney aiming for next?

I've always thought it might be a company that is right up their alley, already focusing on their original target audience ... it only makes sense, right?

Well, my prediction may come to fruition. Disney may be looking at Hasbro for their next buyout. Still, it's only a rumor at this point, but the acquisition of LuscanFilms was also simply a rumor ... up to the point it was announced.

If the deal does go through, Disney will be in control of a lot of big franchises, including:

My Little Pony

G.I. Joe

Transformers

Dungeons and Dragons

Magic: The Gathering

Nerf

(these being only some)

Hasbro does have a record with making poor business choices in terms of their franchises, with Disney having a far better reputation ... but would it be a good or bad thing? Hard to say!

I don't want anyone's hands on the My Little Pony franchise except for Hasbro. They've done a nearly flawless job so far, and I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to be super territorial. Just stay out of MLP, Disney; it doesn't need your help.

Edited by AndrewClocksin
  • Brohoof 7

Disney? In MY Dungeons and Dragons? In MY ponies?! I shall have none of this foolishness!

Seriously, though, it could go either way. But for now I want to trust my ponies to Hasbro.

• Brohoof 4

ABSOLUTLY NOT! Disney has lost respect from me .. they have just f*cked up too much stuff.... if ythey bought the MLP franchise, it would just more than likely be transformed into something that would destroy the good name of MLP FIM

• Brohoof 12

I don't want anyone's hands on the My Little Pony franchise except for Hasbro. They've done a nearly flawless job so far, and I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to be super territorial. Just stay out of MLP, Disney; it doesn't need your help.

I wouldn't be so quick to judge.

Hasbro kills their franchises very early, often trying to reincarnate them again and again and again, even if one form was successful. Their execution of product branding is also fairly poor.

Disney, on the other hand, has done well to protect many of their franchises over decades, with some great product branding.

Assuming Disney gains the rights to MLP, but preserves the staffing (which they usually do), it could be a very good thing.

MLP:FiM won't stay alive forever, and it hitting it's third season is a miracle in itself (since Hasbro kills shows early), so a Disney takeover could potentially be what keeps it alive, depending what Hasbro's plans are.

• Brohoof 3

Dose this mean that they would own the MLP show as well because that would be bad. Disney has a bad habit of just wrecking shows like MLP

Yes... Sadly it would. MLP has been doing rather fantastic, but a Disney takeover would ruin all of it. It would become part of the empire.

Really doubt Hasbro would be willing to hand over the cash cow that is MLP franchise. But then again, it's the same Hasbro that tried to sell Care Bears to "Belly Bros"

I say it would be a good thing, to see MLP handed by a company that (hopefully) will see MLP:FiM more than just merely a 22-minutes weekly advertising for their toys.

• Brohoof 1

I wouldn't be so quick to judge.

Hasbro kills their franchises very early, often trying to reincarnate them again and again and again, even if one form was successful. Their execution of product branding is also fairly poor.

Disney, on the other hand, has done well to protect many of their franchises over decades, with some great product branding.

Assuming Disney gains the rights to MLP, but preserves the staffing (which they usually do), it could be a very good thing.

MLP:FiM won't stay alive forever, and it hitting it's third season is a miracle in itself (since Hasbro kills shows early), so a Disney takeover could potentially be what keeps it alive, depending what Hasbro's plans are.

I agree with these statements. However, I would also fathom the motives behind Disney making such a move. Although Hasbro kills it's show early, MLP is also making Hasbro climb the corporate ladder. I'm not actually sure if Hasbro knows just how big MLP is and means to the fandom. They might have an "idea" but they show little in regards to this. If Hasbro did for MLP FiM what Disney does with princesses... Then they would make it big. But on the other side of the coin, the love that Hasbro puts into MLP completely shows itself at the quality of the shows content. A feat that i believe Disney would lack in that regard, as Disney can seem to me more about money these days then good content. It's the reason that i say Season 2 finale had more epicness then Disney in 45 minutes then i've seen anywhere else.

This could certanly be THE WORST POSIBLE THING.

But still if I see it on the positive side I totaly want AJ or R.Dash on the next OTTGMvC4:DLC Edition with Lando and Joda too

Best case scenario: Disney buys Hasbro after Hasbro decides to cancel MLP, but before any public announcements. Then Disney decides to continue on with MLP, you know like they did with the Marvel shows (sarcasm).

Relevant:

Posted Image

• Brohoof 6

If this were to happen, I would blow my brains everywhere with a shotgun.

lol that's a bit of an overstatement, but I would not like it. They would ruin the show, so I would just never watch the episodes made by them. I would just continue reading and writing fan-fics, paying no attention to what Disney and their...empire is doing.

Edited by Riclo
  • Brohoof 1

There is one huge problem I have with this and that is how they would control the show. As we all know, hasbro has been pretty laid back in what can be in the show. There is cartoon violence, call each other names and "swearing" for pete's sake.

If Disney were to own hasbro. They might not be so relax. They might make it "Safe for kids. Also known as, boring. :(

• Brohoof 5

There is one huge problem I have with this and that is how they would control the show. As we all know, hasbro has been pretty laid back in what can be in the show. There is cartoon violence, call each other names and "swearing" for pete's sake.

If Disney were to own hasbro. They might not be so relax. They might make it "Safe for kids. Also known as, boring. :(

Safe for kids, with a laugh track and toilet "jokes" every other sentence because the writers lack writing abilities.

I know Gravity Falls & Phineas & Ferb aren't like that (for the most part), but EVERY. SINGLE. OTHER. SHOW. IS.

• Brohoof 2

Safe for kids, with a laugh track and toilet "jokes" every other sentence because the writers lack writing abilities.

I know Gravity Falls & Phineas & Ferb aren't like that (for the most part), but EVERY. SINGLE. OTHER. SHOW. IS.

The problem here is, mlp is rated Y while gratvity falls and Phienas Ferb are Y7.

This means Mlp won't get the same treatment as those disney shows. Disney will probably dumb down the show and make it about rainbows and butterflies.

• Brohoof 1

The problem here is, mlp is rated Y while gratvity falls and Phienas Ferb are Y7.

This means Mlp won't get the same treatment as those disney shows. Disney will probably dumb down the show and make it about rainbows and butterflies.

Or if they put it on Disney Channel it would probably become more suitable to the channel to prevent anyone from changing the channel. Or... they could put it on Disney Junior. *hides under my bed* Edited by RBDash
  • Brohoof 1

From what your saying it sounds like their going to go back to G3. Which you know now that you mention it seems really likely to happen if it does get bought out.
  • Brohoof 1

Oh, heck no. I'm not standing for this. I've always had a soft spot for Disney with Kingdom Hearts and all, but they are NOT getting their hands on MLP!

Oh, and pic somewhat related.

Posted Image

• Brohoof 11

one of the biggest things that will change is that any posting of episodes on youtube will be counted as plagiarism and be taken down. idk about the rest of you but youtube is where i tend to watch MLP so that would be bad

• Brohoof 8

If this happens, Disney will get a visit from an unhappy brony

I'd watch for as long as I could. But the moment they put humans in, I'm leaving. (The show at least) Just so long as the fandom stays the same, I'd be happy to stay on sites like this one.

I've weighed in a very brief opinion in Mailmare's version of this topic, but something I'd just like to bring up: People shouldn't get freaked out and act like this would be some immediate thing that we'd be seeing soon. Marvel got bought out in 2009. Lucas films got bought out this year. Even if Disney did have their eyes on Hasbro, chances are we they wouldn't make the deal until 2014 or something. They only make these massive multi-billion dollar corporation buyouts every few years, it would seem.

• Brohoof 1

Hmmm... I think I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, with Disney support MLP: FiM could potentially go on for years. On the other, I want Disney to keep the original writers and really not change anything about the show. I would not want Disney owning MLP: FiM to make a difference to the show and I don't know if that's possible.

Plus, I tend to watch MLP: FiM on YouTube. What will I do if Disney buys it?? 0_o

If this were to happen, I would blow my brains everywhere with a shotgun.

lol that's a bit of an overstatement, but I would not like it. They would ruin the show, so I would just never watch the episodes made by them. I would just continue reading and writing fan-fics, paying no attention to what Disney and their...empire is doing.

But fan-fics would be in danger by disney's over-protectiveness

I say, all who oppose us losing the fandom sign http://www.change.org/en-AU/petitions/hasbro-not-sell-out-to-disney-who-don-t-treat-fans-okay. The fandom would be in a very dangerous situation and it seems their is a good chance disney would try rip apart our hard fan work.