Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

[Rumor] Disney to be Ruler of Equestria?

Strife

Ohh gawd no

I can see them putting this show alongside those other crappy 5 am cartoons for 4 year olds. I doubt Disney and it's viewers will take the show seriously, especially with the current shows that air on Disney at this moment

They should buy Mattel, at least than they won't screw up anything important (it can only go up from there). Y'know, or whatever they'll probably still get your money one way or the other.

Please no, not in a million years no... >_>

Nothing against disney, but uh. They just haven't been the greatest with fixing up shows. Plus they won't be as relaxed about a show like MLP and will dumb it down into something thats just a kids show where they treat everyone as stupid.

Which are in other words. boring..

So yeah, I don't even like disney buying lucusarts... Much less hasbro...

Edited by Zygen

Oh please God/Celestia/Luna no. Although I could see them keeping things the same after seeing that Disney has something as good as Gravity Falls, I can't help but harbor some inherent fear that they would either change it too much or cancel the show completely. :blink:

Oh, heck no. I'm not standing for this. I've always had a soft spot for Disney with Kingdom Hearts and all, but they are NOT getting their hands on MLP!

Oh, and pic somewhat related.

Posted Image

That would actually be pretty sweet. Too bad it probably wouldn't happen... :huh:

I don't think that will happen. For one thing, to my knowledge, Hasbro has ALWAYS been the owner of My Little Pony, right from the G1 season (if even only in toy marketing) so I'm not worried that something like that will happen.

As long as they don't change the show, AT ALL, and keep all the same staff, and be pretty lax like Hasbro, I don't really care. But if things start to change drasitically... idk what would happen. And i would rather not think about it. Also they BETTER NOT TAKE DOWN THE YOUTUBE VIDEOS!!

Edited by AnonBrony

Ehhhhhhh....On one hand, I have heard that Disney is very lenient with the companies that they own. They usually let them do their own thing. On the other hand, things with MLP are fine the way they are with Hasbro alone. I don't want any chances taken here, personally, even if the first point is true.

@@AegisReflector, Well.........there's one thing you're not considering. I for example don't think they would dumb it down. That's a two sided coin. Either they leave the things like they are, or they take it and do it their own, and that's ANOTHER two sided coin, that could end in good or bad. But about the fan content...........if even ONLY the episodes get taken down, say bye bye to LOOOOOOOOT of people. I for example would be screwed. While the show does run here, it's STILL in the first season, and the Spanish version just isn't as good as the English one. I ALWAYS watch the episodes on Youtube. AKA, what about those countries with not a lot of The Hub and have to recurr to Youtube or similar? Even if the fan content doesn't get touched, LOTS of people would be ultimately screwed because they would not be able to watch the show. And that's bad.

Personally, I think a purchase of Hasbro by Disney would ultimately be blocked by the Federal government on Anti-trust grounds. Disney would simply become too powerful to ignore. However, as I am not in any way knowledgeable in Anti-trust legislation or in business, my opinion, just like this news, should be taken only as speculative at best.

@@AegisReflector, Well.........there's one thing you're not considering. I for example don't think they would dumb it down. That's a two sided coin. Either they leave the things like they are, or they take it and do it their own, and that's ANOTHER two sided coin, that could end in good or bad. But about the fan content...........if even ONLY the episodes get taken down, say bye bye to LOOOOOOOOT of people. I for example would be screwed. While the show does run here, it's STILL in the first season, and the Spanish version just isn't as good as the English one. I ALWAYS watch the episodes on Youtube. AKA, what about those countries with not a lot of The Hub and have to recurr to Youtube or similar? Even if the fan content doesn't get touched, LOTS of people would be ultimately screwed because they would not be able to watch the show. And that's bad.

This is the internet; with a fanbase this active and this size, you'll always be able to find the episodes online somewhere, whether through torrents or other lesser known video sites. As long as you don't commit yourself to being lazy, the only thing episodes being taken down will cause you to sift through Google a tiny bit longer and not have the convenience of Youtube. Something that's really not that awesome, but people can still do access them.

Fan content wouldn't be quite as easy.

• Brohoof 3

This is the internet; with a fanbase this active and this size, you'll always be able to find the episodes online somewhere, whether through torrents or other lesser known video sites. As long as you don't commit yourself to being lazy, the only thing episodes being taken down will cause you to sift through Google a tiny bit longer and not have the convenience of Youtube. Something that's really not that awesome, but people can still do access them.

Fan content wouldn't be quite as easy.

I must admit my knowledge of other videos like FIM episodes elsewhere is not exactly high. I would still be slightly pissed. As for fan content, I'm gonna go with the hope of what Aegis said, and think that there's just TOO much to take it down...which makes me wonder what they will do with NEW content...and if for example something like Double Rainboom would be taken down,

I wonder what Lauren, Tara, De Lancie and others think about this news, come to think of it. I'd be interested to see their thoughts on the matter, since they've all been in 'the business' more than any of us.

This just may be THE WORST POSABLE THING! What? I really mean it... (Ya ya I know this joke was used multiple times)

But for real... Rumers are 51% fake... Mlp is big...

But this might be a death path for bronydome... A switch in company's...

In the end... It really depends how Disney will do with hosting mlp... Most fans may leave... Some might stay...

Idk I prefer not to think about things like this...

I wonder what Lauren, Tara, De Lancie and others think about this news, come to think of it. I'd be interested to see their thoughts on the matter, since they've all been in 'the business' more than any of us.

This is all just a rumor, and a not well founded at that. It's a supposition rather than a rumor in my opinion, so it'd be safe to say that the FIM crew isn't even aware of this rumor, or even someone from Hasbro. But I WOULDN like to see what are their thoughts on this possibility.

This is all just a rumor, and a not well founded at that. It's a supposition rather than a rumor in my opinion, so it'd be safe to say that the FIM crew isn't even aware of this rumor, or even someone from Hasbro. But I WOULDN like to see what are their thoughts on this possibility.

I'm doubting it's just rumor anymore at this point; news for this is all over Google, and not just credit less sites that you can denounce with ease.

I'm doubting it's just rumor anymore at this point; news for this is all over Google, and not just credit less sites that you can denounce with ease.

Well...I don't know much about most of their careers, but I don't know if any of the crew has been involved with Disney at any point (correct me if I'm wrong please). Which makes me to believe that even if they did know, their opinions wouldn't be something so well thought and planted, EVEN THOUGH it's all a matter of business too.

Posted Image

I'd be totally on board for that. Sora and crew running around Equestria, Elements of Harmony Keyblade, sonic rainboom limit break... hell yeah.

Other than that, I don't know. Disney has had an okay run with it's current slew of movies and other content. If they'd keep the same team and the same directives, it could be fine.

On the other hand, if they tried to make a movie of it, it could be the death knell of the series.

• Brohoof 1

First of all, I doubt much would change in FiM (other than the fact that it might end up on the Disney Channel and it would become really hard to find episodes online). When Disney bought Marvel, we still got an Avengers movie, and it was awesome. So I doubt FiM will change too drastically from it, as long as it's profitable. The only thing that'll change is its availability online. But even Disney can't stop ALL online distribution. It's like trying to kill the world's population of honeybees. Someone will always sneak through. After all, I can't count how many of those cartoon opening videos have the Duck Tales theme song in them.

As for whether this information is true or not, there's no way to really tell. But I will say this. It would explain why Season 3 is only 13 episodes. Hasbro may have known about this for awhile, and maybe they wanted to air the next season before it happens. I'm not trying to scare anyone, but that could be the case.

My theory if this is true is that Disney is trying to get the rights to Transformers and G.I. Joe. While the films are with Paramount, the franchises themselves are still owned by Hasbro. Hasbro also owns the toy and table-top game licenses to Star Wars and Marvel (both now owned by Disney). So I imagine that's one of the reasons too.

But on the contrary, the negotiations might only have to do with the Star Wars and Marvel merchandise, and they might not have anything to do with the company itself. In fact, they could very well just be negotiating how the toys and merchandise are going to be handled from here on out. When you think about it in these regards, it's very plausible that Disney would be in talks with Hasbro, and it actually makes sense.

Edited by SBaby

Disney: Oh look Bronies they are a big thing now, let's harvest them like the Reapers for money and ruin their My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic by taking over Hasbro.

Edited by Rush
  • Brohoof 2

... not gonna happen.... stop getting all paranoid before I make my head explode from face hoofing.

it seems some people seem to forget how big Hasbro is, they won't be bought out so easily, and remember Lucas let Star Wars go because he wasn't gonna do anything with it and he just wanted more money (4 billion).

also Disney isn't a soul sucking company, they focus more on passion projects (but that doesn't mean they do not do dumb stuff, just look at ultimate spider man.)

so people CALM THE BUCK DOWN they just bough star wars.... there gonna see how that plays out before they waste more money on buy outs that 2015- 2016, MLP G4 will be long gone meaning if Disney was to buy them out they would be the bringers of G5.

Edited by - Elusive -

Ugh, this is highly unsettling news, even if it is only a rumor particularly because I'm absolutely no fan of Disney.

I can only hope that something like this wouldn't happen, lest it at the very least cripple a great deal of the fanbase and at worst completely lead to its demise. Whether you enjoy any fan content or not is irrelevant to the undeniable fact that Disney's strong grip on copyright would eradicate much of the fan work and streams. Hasbro's approach and friendly nature is part of the reason the show even reached well past its target audience, and that sort of leniency would most certainly be done away with from the acquisition.

Admittedly I'm not too worried about the quality control that much, although I do worry about the fact that the show, despite having an adult fanbase, is still a child's show and would possibly be edited to some degree to fit in with the other disgusting programs that pass for children's television.

If there are "serious talks" going on behind the scenes, it's most likely due to Hasbro's license to produce Star Wars toys and table-top games. I'm sure Hasbro won't sell out though, given the success of FiM and such, but that doesn't make this rumor any less displeasing.

• Brohoof 1

Not too long ago Disney was heavily criticized for not providing enough entertainment for boys. The studio decided to do something about it. It first bough Pixar in 2006 for $7 billion. Then it bough Marvel in 2009 for $4 billion. And just recently, Disney bought Lucasfilm and the "Star Wars" franchise for another $4 billion.

At this point Disney has a good handle on providing entertainment and toys for boys. But the studio is about to go a step further by buying Hasbro, the toy company that owns Transformers, GI Joe, Battleship, Monopoly, Dungeons and Dragons, Magic: The Gathering, Candy Land, Clue, Hungry Hungry Hippos, Jenga, Mr. Potato head, My Little Pony, Nerf, Ouija, Rubik's Cube, Scrabble, and many other properties.

The deal is still being negotiated and may not be signed for several years. Film rights to "Transformers" and GI Joe" are currently being held by Paramount Pictures, which means that there's plenty of legalities to work out.

Found here: http://www.worstprev...0#ixzz2BRCsSrgM

Figured I'll keep tabs on the sites as they pop up with news regarding this. Well, I certainly do hope it'll take a few years before this is something well need to confront. And from all the issues of who owning what and there being Paramount that need to be included in this entire thing as well, I'm not surprised if it would take a while.

DO NOT WANT!

My Little Pony is fine the way is is now, I don't want Disney coming in and complicating everything. They're like the Electronic Arts of the movie industry. A Disney My Little Pony is a revolting thought. :blink:

Edited by Urdnot Shepard
  • Brohoof 1

The only good things that Disney could do with MLP.

1)Put the ponies in Kingdom Hearts.

2)Make a movie.

I hope they don't even think about it, Disney just sucks and would probably fuck up the show and make it like G3.

I'm just gonna let Hasbro keep MLP.

That's how it should be.

I'd be totally on board for that. Sora and crew running around Equestria, Elements of Harmony Keyblade, sonic rainboom limit break... hell yeah.

Kick-ass ideas, Crispy. Edited by ~Wubs~
  • Brohoof 1

I suddenly imagine a horror of "Equestria Land" inside a Disney themepark with painted horses that you "Ride."

Don't want the image of MLPFIM sullied by the real world image of 50 some odd three year olds crying with a Disney guide saying "Who wants to ride Celestia?"

• Brohoof 1