Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How do ponies reproduce?

I_wesley125

I'd imagine it would be like Pokemon breeding.

They can interbreed with each other, but the child takes only one of their parents traits.

For example;

Earth Pony+Earth Pony=Earth Pony

Pegasus+Unicorn=Unicorn OR Pegasus

Edited by Tom the Diamond
  • Brohoof 3

well you see, when one pony really love another pony...

i would think it would be a unicorn, i would think unicorns would be dominant over earth pony

That would mean that there would be very few Earth ponies, and lots of Unicorns, and that Earth ponies would most likely be inbred.

I imagine that there's more like a 50/50 chance of the child being of one race or the other.

We haven't seen any mixed species mating, so I'd only assume maybe they aren't allowed to?

earth ponies with earth ponies, unicorns and unicorns etc.

~

Prohibited interracial marriage? Race-based chattel slavery? Technologically advanced sedentary settlers taking over the land of disadvantaged nomadic natives?

Equestria's basically the USA circa 1783 - 1861, isn't it?

• Brohoof 3

You just had to make this thread on your 69th post....
What happens when two races of humans "reproduce"?
That's prolly the answer.

Edited by Flare

I'd guess it would work as human genetics do, if Unicorn genes are the dominant ones you'd most probabally get a Unicorn (or vice versa) The same i'd guess fits all the species of Ponies around Equestria. The dominant gene "wins" and gets to "choose" the species and gender of the foal.

I also like this idea of how baby ponies are made: http://waggonercartoons.deviantart.com/art/Dinky-s-Origin-258839455?q=favby%3Aslictz%2F46559259&qo=518

That is all.

• Brohoof 1

Think Rock-Paper-Scissors, except with Earths, Pegasi, and Unicorns. I've seen a few RPS-based interbreeding postulations across deviantART. I don't know what's dominant over what, and I've seen it go both ways (EG, UCN over PGS and vice versa), so my guess is that it may actually be both ways.

[ENTER PUNNETT SQUARE MODE]

Well of the couple they've show they have only been of the same pony type. Interbreeding between the species may entirely be wrong. If it's not then I would assume it would be a 50/50 chance as to the species of pony offspring would be.

...Or maybe you get a Derpy Hooves when you interbreed

• Brohoof 1

what happens is magic..

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSf9aEETnvE

No but seriously,

I'm sure genetics kick in. Maybe the horn is dominant allele and wings are recessive, ect.

Edited by Zero

Well I think Unicorn is the biggest Race of ponies therefore

Unicorn X Earth Pony might be a unicorn pony

Unicorn X Pegasi might also be a unicorn pony

Pegasi has to be the weakest species (As much as I hate to admit it) since we see less of them except of course in Cloudsdale

Pegasi X Earth Pony might be Earth Pony

so I think the only way to have a Pegasi will be have to be

Pegasi X Pegasi

....unless that thing i learned about happens

I agree with Shankvield here. I think it might not be allowed, or maybe the different types just arn't attracted to eachother. Edited by Ice
  • Brohoof 1

May I remind you that this is a show based for a little girl's entertainment, not to teach them genetics. You guys might be getting a little too into detail...lol..

• Brohoof 1

Prohibited interracial marriage? Race-based chattel slavery? Technologically advanced sedentary settlers taking over the land of disadvantaged nomadic natives?

I would figure it more along the lines of a chimpanzee mating with a gorilla. It could happen, but nothing's going to come of it.

• Brohoof 1

Well you use a punnett square, I'll take it that either features of the race (horn or wings) are genotypes. Depending on the parents the features are recessive, or dominate can determine whether the feature is on the offspring.

I'm not exactly sure what I'm talking about right now, I need to brush up on my knowledge of biology.

• Brohoof 1

May I remind you that this is a show based for a little girl's entertainment, not to teach them genetics. You guys might be getting a little too into detail...lol..

I learned a bunch of things through lil kids shows, besides maybe Twi can explain it later in time

I highly doubt it XD

son

ever heard of the birds and the bees?

that's where babies come from.

as for dominance, i'd guess earth ponies would be the dominant one, with their strength. at least to pegasi and unicorns. pegasi and unicorns would be able to dominate over each other through various use of their respective abilities, i.e. flying and magic, but against an earth pony, he would win, because of aforementioned strength.

i would like to think that the unicorn genes are dominant but i can just be like that 50/50 chance of a human baby being male or female...

why would the unicorn genes be dominant?

A very simplified version I made, you can infer the rest.

- - - - - - U - - - - - - P

U - - - - UU - - - - - UP

P - - - - UP - - - - - PP

- - - - - - U - - - - - - U

U - - - - UU - - - - - UU

P - - - - UP - - - - - UP

- - - - - - P - - - - - - P

U - - - - UP - - - - - UP

P - - - - PP - - - - - PP

UU = Unicorn, PP = Pegasus, and UP = Earth pony

Now the complicated version:

• Brohoof 2