Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

"The rockets red glare"?

I_wesley125

The words of "The Star-Spangled Banner" were written in 1814, and the British Congreve rocket had been used against the USA in the War of 1812 in... well, in 1812.

Military rockets were invented earlier than you'd think. Britain wasn't even the first country to do it - we developed Congreve rockets after being on the receiving end of Indian rocket artillery. Korea's had gunpowder rockets since the late 1300s, and China probably had them well before that.

Edit: Yep, China probably had primitive gunpowder rockets in the 900s.

Posted Image

Edited by Krall
  • Brohoof 6

Like 900 years ago, the Chinese made rockets that weren't very good.

I heard somewhere on the discovery channel that they called the "Wacha" or something like that. It apparently was used by some faction of chinese that fired almost a houndred "Rockets" (They were really just arrows with gunpowder canisters strapped to them) that blew up after several seconds.

It was supposedly effective against those block army formations.

I heard somewhere on the discovery channel that they called the "Wacha" or something like that. It apparently was used by some faction of chinese that fired almost a houndred "Rockets" (They were really just arrows with gunpowder canisters strapped to them) that blew up after several seconds.

It was supposedly effective against those block army formations.

I believe you're referring to the Hwacha, a Korean invention. I believe Mythbusters built a replica that proved to be rather effective, saturating a large area with lethal arrow fire. I'll see if I can find a YouTube video of it.

Edit: Yup, it's the first result for a search of "Hwacha":

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQhSXA3AKh4

Double edit:

Krall beat me to it :angry:

Haha! I am the History King! All will bow before me!

Rockets have been around since the invention of gunpowder and had siginificant use in the War of 1812 (when the song was written)

Indeed - I believe it was the bombardment of Fort McHenry in 1814 that was the specific incident that inspired that line of the poem, and the entire writing of the poem itself!

Edited by Krall
  • Brohoof 1