Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Back in the Day

ImperialFoxes

I want to ask, "Do you remember back in the day?" Do any you reminisce about the past. Always thinking about the music and the musicians that passed. Maybe any cartoons?

I'm a late 90's kid but I remembered a lot of them. So tell, Do you guys reminisce often?

• Brohoof 5

Posted Image

I do think about the old days every now and then. How my first computer had like 512mb of RAM, and when Gigabytes were unheard of. When I would watch awesome shows like Courage the Cowardly Dog, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, Johnny Bravo, and the old Toonami. I also remember those awesome games like Super Mario Sunshine, Pokemon Red and Blue (Pokemon was brand new to us back then) Earthbound, Super Mario World, Starfox 64, Pokemon Colosseum. I also remember how awful the Virtual Boy was (I still have it actually) and how mad I was when the Sega Dreamcast flopped.

Ahh... Nostalgia. The old days are fun to talk about every now and then, but I don't talk about them too often, the past is in the past. As much fun as it was, it's over now. I prefer to talk about the present. Edited by Urdnot Shepard
  • Brohoof 3

First thing I thought when I read this was "The Good ol' Days" by TheLivingTombstone...

Even though it's a techno song, it talks about how great the music was "back in the day".

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd6e_ZfTyqI

Lyrics:

Verse 1:

Take seat youngin'; Stay around for spell

I got a little story that I wanted to tell

Would ya

Please stick around, take a listen and see

Cause back in my day, things were always grand as can be

Now all the

Streets were paved gold and gems; Glimmerin'

Lightin' up the skies at noon; This town is shimmerin'

Waitin' on nobody cause we got stuff to do

Cause we through with the new

We're talking old school, kids, that's just what we do!

Back in the day, it was the prime of the time

Imagine all the greats singing together in rhymes

and listening together on old Gramaphones

and old Radios it was a hell of a time

Let me tell ya youngin', man the old days were grand

You could walk down to the beach and plant your hooves in the sand

You didn't have no worries

All was grand as can be

So everybody take a listen

Open your eyes and see

Chorus:

So trot with me through the autumn leaves

And keep close to stay warm

Soon you'll see how much you mean to me

Feelings I've never felt before

Verse 2:

Skippi-do-bop was the name of the game

Swinging like crazy everyone goes insane

It's like a game except everyone wins

Why isn't music like that, anymore?

My god everything is such a bore now

Everything's the same thing over again

With all that hippin' and the hoppin'

and the bippen' and the boppen'

They dunno what the jazz is all about, you see

You'll look back at your days

I'm sure you'll experience it sometime

cause when you grow old

everything seems cold

and new generation will arrive

(Chorus)

It's a very happy, and heart warming song to me... I felt like posting it because we had our first blizzard this year, and it is BEAUTIFUL! :D

• Brohoof 1

Well I reminisce about things, but most of them aren't about shows.

However I've had my share of remembering the shows I watched when I was kid. While they where still good. Like Danny phantom, fairly odd parents, spongebob(Obviously I know some of these shows still run, but the new episodes are pretty bleh in my opinion..)

Also I watched tom and jerry alot. I haven't seen that in a while.

Theres alot of shows I watched when I was young... I don't really remember them all. I'm a 97 kid so I'm not a super old time show kinda person who knows about every single show. But I know about most of the "old shows".

I don't like really any cartoons that are around now a days. Except of course MLP :D

• Brohoof 2

I do think about the past a lot. I remember every time I would get a cool new game or something Pokemon related. (I used to be so obsessed with it!) It makes me a little sad though. I want to go back, but I also thoroughly enjoy my life now, and I can't wait for the future.

post-9475-0-85495200-1352500447_thumb.jpg

This thread reminded me of me and my best friend. After 10 years now, we're still hanging out. Nostalgia of the younger years. We look so different now.

post-9475-0-85935800-1352500537_thumb.jpg

And this was us about a year and 3 months back.

• Brohoof 1

Very often. I remember fairly clearly what it felt like watching pokemon and dragonball/dbz for the first time, watching ed edd n eddy before school and cartoon cartoon fridays until I couldn't continue staying awake, the christmas when I first got Ocarina of Time, the Christmas' after when I got Majoras Mask and my gamecube.

The first time playing Kingdom Hearts at my friends house and watching every episode of Teen Titans with my friends. Playing with toy guns, and dragonball Z and teen titan action figures, collecting pokemon cards and playing yugioh.

Unfortunately I had to grow up; time to be a bit dramatic - I have been very fortunate to receive such wonderful memories, and I don't feel as if it's possible to create better ones. So I try to do the next best thing and dedicate my life partly so other kids can have a chance of having such great memories

• Brohoof 1

Very often. The first time I ever played NES was in 1989. I wasn't even 2 years-old yet. There's a picture around here somewhere of me sitting on the floor as I'm attempting to figure it out with my uncle leaning over my shoulder and pointing to a button on the controller. Everything was new back then. Portable anything, be it a phone, a music player, or a computer, was an expensive luxury, and few people could even afford a home computer. Nevermind that they served almost no practical purpose at the time.

Yeah, I look back and realize that the biggest change since then is that there's no longer a sense of wonder in anything, whereas back then people were impressed by everything because we were setting the first precedents in the things everyone takes for granted now. Watch this:

Am I, at the age of 24, really so far removed from teenagers and kids today that they can't even use a cassette, something that I used all throughout my childhood? Or figure out how to play something as simple as Space Invaders?!

Should have asked the little girl to rewind the tape, especially if it was a tape deck without a rewind button. I would love to see how long it takes her to figure out how to deal with that.

• Brohoof 2

Back in the day (before 2000):

Music was good

Teenagers were a bit more respectful

Swag was barely used as a term for style

YOLO didn't exist

Dubstep was just beginning to start

YouTube, Facebook, Twitter didn't exist, Google was just a simple search engine

No duckfaces and pregnant teens were frowned upon

The Truman Show and Candid Camera were the closest things to reality television

Bronies didn't exist (obviously)

Presidents then were badass

yup, I want a time machine now.

• Brohoof 4

There are a few things from when I was younger that blew my mind. The first was the X-Men movie, that movie was the first movie I saw that was really action packed, it made me so exited to see all the characters from the cartoon but in live action.

Another thing I remember is the Poo-Chi robotic dog toys. I remember I thought the toy acted just like a real dog like in the tv ads and do all the things a real dog could, so I took it out side and tried to get it to walk on a leash like a real dog. I also remember the Poo-Chi would growl and so I tried to feed it the plastic bone it came with, but it continued growling for a day. I was 7 years old at the time and so I was freaking out I didn't know what to do, I thought I killed it or something. So I took out the batteries put the Poo-Chi in a box put the box deep in my closet and I haven't opened the box since.

• Brohoof 1

I wouldn't be the type to reminisce, I often hope tommorow will be better than today, but I would never remember how good yesterday was because I'm worried it would be what today would be :P

Being a 90's kid myself, I reminisce a lot more often. It makes me realize that a lot of things in life have change and it'll keep changing. Here's one thing I'll keep remembering: Pokemon. When I was 8, the 1st generation was the *new* generation. Today: we have 5 generations and 640-something Pokemon. I mean...goes to show that so much has changed.

• Brohoof 1

When I would watch awesome shows like Courage the Cowardly Dog, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, Johnny Bravo, and the old Toonami

^This. I loved all of those shows from when I was a kid.

Musically, I would say there have been both big improvements and big losses since the Nineties. We lost Kurt Cobain, Johnny Cash, the Violent Femmes, and many others, and now we have to deal with Justin Bieber and all of that Disney pop stuff. At the same time though, lot of great bands developed in the 2000s. Also, back then MTV actually showed music videos.

I guess I reminisce a little bit, but I generally try to live in the present.

• Brohoof 1

Very often. The first time I ever played NES was in 1989. I wasn't even 2 years-old yet. There's a picture around here somewhere of me sitting on the floor as I'm attempting to figure it out with my uncle leaning over my shoulder and pointing to a button on the controller. Everything was new back then. Portable anything, be it a phone, a music player, or a computer, was an expensive luxury, and few people could even afford a home computer. Nevermind that they served almost no practical purpose at the time.

Yeah, I look back and realize that the biggest change since then is that there's no longer a sense of wonder in anything, whereas back then people were impressed by everything because we were setting the first precedents in the things everyone takes for granted now. Watch this:

http-~~-//youtu.be/7v75QpvISUs

Am I, at the age of 24, really so far removed from teenagers and kids today that they can't even use a cassette, something that I used all throughout my childhood? Or figure out how to play something as simple as Space Invaders?!

Should have asked the little girl to rewind the tape, especially if it was a tape deck without a rewind button. I would love to see how long it takes her to figure out how to deal with that.

Yes, Don't Stop Believin' was mentioned in this video. Judging by this, if the internet and brony community was around in the 80s it would have been amazing
  • Brohoof 1

Back in the days I was into anime and would find any excuse to dress up like this:

Posted Image

Fast forwarding into the future, this is me a couple months ago.

Posted Image

Nothing has changed at all. Absolutely nothing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXznLPleVLc&feature=colike

Ah yess... The days where Amber Alerts were as few as Cowboys in NY. The carefree days of playing with friends after school, playing tag (Who's played tag recently??), and running after the icecream man... And Music! There's a song I know of which speaks of much the same thing. This song here; Back In The Day' by YellingAtCats. He's got a point. At least in the aspect of music, Bronies (myself included) need to step up our musical game. Music aint as good, as back in the day... Edited by TrueBolt

i remeber back in the day when VHS's were all the rage/ only thing you could watch your media on unless you were going to the movies. man those were the days having thos VHS's fill up your qholw wall and you only had like 200 of them man they were clunky.

The late 80s/early 90s were great. I had a mullet and dressed kind of like Garth Algar. Walked around looking rad with my Walkman, which was the bane of all my teachers at the time, not cell phones. Yeah, and I remember them telling me I would never be able to carry a calculator with me everywhere, but what now?

Apparently McDonald's now has fingerboards in Happy Meals. Are they making a comeback to the level they were once at, or is McDonald's just behind the times?

I don't really reminisce that often, i do remember when freddo chocolate bars were only 10p, now they are like 30p.

I find it rather assholish (if that is even a word) to say back in the day at my age, i'm only 19 and have a long way to go before things change that much that i can look back and see a major change in life. I know your thinking "But what about retro games?!?". I simply played the best and most popular games of the time, no different to what i do now. You may laugh and exclaim "But what of TV? It was better back then!" No it wasn't really, we just recall it to be better but re-watching it i find it to be nowhere as good as i thought it was when i was younger, it just holds nostalgic value.

Now watch in awe how i explain music is no different! *cracks knuckles* Today's popular music is not too different to any years, in practice, the genre is different yes, but the most popular music at each time will always have a group of people who remember older times when there were other popular genres and will reminisce of how music back in their day was better.

post-7214-0-99499900-1352515906.png

I miss the old cartoons, but my childhood was pretty crappy (not like bad, but just didn't have a lot of friends and didn't really do anything much), so I don't reminicse often.

Usually I wonder if I could have done something to have a more enjoyable time in my younger years, or I wish it was more like what other people tell me about, but I don't really worry about it. Its bygone now, and its made me who I am.

I am a pretty nostalgic person, but not really toward the 90s. I am a 90's kid, but the most I really feel nostalgic to from that time is Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow.

My most 'painful' nostalgia comes from stuff in 2006 and some of 2007. Just because that's back when I had such a simplistic life, and never had any reason to hold back having hope for the future.

Ironically most of the music that I listened to from that time was from the 60s and 70s. So I'm nostalgic for the same music that my parents and their generation are. lol

• Brohoof 1

I want to ask, "Do you remember back in the day?" Do any you reminisce about the past. Always thinking about the music and the musicians that passed.

Well, I spend most of my spare time looking up and compiling decades-old music charts, and the music I like the most is classic pop/rock hits from the '60s-'80s (with some adult hits from the '90s-present), so yes. I find the trends in what music was popular fascinating. In particular, I look up not just the pop music charts, but various genre-specific charts (mainstream rock, modern rock, adult contemporary, dance/disco, etc.), so I like to see how much crossover there was among the different genres over the years. Another fascinating development is the format of music singles and albums as they evolved from 45s and LPs to include 12" discs, cassettes, CD albums, CD singles, etc.

i was born in 1999 but i was surrounded by older things that were better than today . i had a VCR, cassette player and watched old cartons because they were better than 2003 cartoons. i loved how simple it was before all this. this is someone who is young who PREFERS old stuff

• Brohoof 3

I consider myself a 90's kid because I was born in March of 1994. I remember how excited I was when I got a Nintendo 64 when I was 4 years old, I played that thing all the time. Now I'm getting another one at the age of 18. I remember watching Rugrats, Hey Arnold, Johnny Bravo, Dexter's Lab, and of course, Pokemon. I still have a VCR in my bedroom at home and VHS tapes, and I still have a working NES that I played when I was 3.

• Brohoof 1