50 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

(edited)

I'm not familiar enough with the forum to know how to divide quotes yet, so sorry if this is kind of sloppy.

No problem. It takes time. If you highlight a certain part like I did and wait for it to say quote, then you can have certain parts to talk about.

I'm not sure if I'd call it evil, but they defiantly weren't playing. If they were playing, they wouldn't be crying so much. Maybe you're right and they aren't intentionally torturing Pinkie, but their ability to feel such complicated emotions at the end (remorse) makes me think they aren't as blissfully unaware as others may believe.

Well I still think it was playing for them. True they were crying a lot, but they did that because Pinkie was not playing the game with them. So to them their playmate is not playing back and they are just mad about it. An odd reason, but still one that could work.

I suppose that second quote of mine was a little confusing. I put it in there to show that at the very beginning of the show, before the Cakes realize they need a sitter, Pinkie shouldn't have to be responsible for kids that aren't hers. I just think it's unfair for them to rudely ignore her and ask everypony else to baby sit, just because she hasn't been responsible for kids that aren't hers thus far.

You bring up a good point. It's not her job to take care of them, but maybe they just don't see Pinkie Pie as not being able to take care of them yet and they want someone who could handle the presser of taking care of them. Or maybe they are just being over protective.

For the third one, I'm aware that the babies most likely cried because their parents left. When I said it was for no reason, I meant it was for no relative reason to the plot in my opinion.

Well it kinda was relevant to the plot. It shows that Pinkie Pie might be over her head and she did not really know what she agreed to. Still maybe I'm wrong.

If the lesson of the day was about the babies learning to respect other adults and take Pinkie seriously, I totally would understand your point... but the lesson is about Pinkie learning to be responsible. I don't see how them not recognizing Pinkie as an authority figure, means Pinkie is irresponsible. I don't see her actually learning anything in this episode. Twilight outright says she isn't cut out for it, conveying to the viewer that until this point you shouldn't see Pinkie as being responsible... and she was being responsible. She was doing her best, she cannot force them to listen to her. It wasn't like she was blowing it off and not taking it seriously.

Yes this is kinda an odd ball one to that is hard to explain. It could have just been a lesson about true responsibly and showing what else you have to do besides play all day. Still it could have been done in a better way.

Sure they feel bad for what they've done, but that emotion is so far beyond that age it isn't even funny. Idk I tend to have a problem with how they portray age throughout the show, and I just thought it was weird.

The twins have shown many different emotions that aren't normal emotions that babies have. Pound and Pumpkin at this point can't really be called babies anymore. They are more at the level of of being toddlers then babies. They have a better understanding of the world, they know who their parents are in a month, and can do so many things. Still it would have been a boring episode if all they did was just lie on their back and did nothing.

I don't mind when they do episodes with lessons on other things than friendship on the show, I'm just wondering why they told Celestia, when all she told them to write to her about was friendship lessons. I love the fact this show deals with many types of lessons on both a conscious and unconscious level.

Yes, Celestia did just ask for friendship lessons, but it could have been something Pinkie finally understood and had a better idea of and just wanted to tell her. Or it could have been a cheap way just to give her a reason to writ to her.

This was a nice chat and you also made some good points to the episode. I'm glade you responded and we were able to talk this out and not one side hating it for hating it and one liking it for just liking it. Glade I was able to help you with this.

Also that episode was on today.

Edited by pinkiefan1287
  • Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

my opinion on this is the CMC will get their cutie marks and baby cakes and the other (forgot his name) make their own little club in what is to come in season 4. That episode left un answered questions, now that there is baby fillies what next.

i just wanted to point something out, something that has prob been pointed out before, rarity is the opposite of generosity in this episode 

my opinion on this is the CMC will get their cutie marks and baby cakes and the other (forgot his name) make their own little club in what is to come in season 4. That episode left un answered questions, now that there is baby fillies what next.

I feel like Pound Cake and Pumpkin Cake are a little smarter then the CMC. So it wont take them to long to get their cutie marks. The other babies name I think is Cream Puff. But I think that is a fan name. 

Pound well either become a baker or a great fly and join the Wonderbolts. While Pumpkin Cake well either become a baker to or a powerful unicorn like Twilight. 

By the way, what do you mean by, now that there is baby fillies what is next? Isn't next just life for them and growing up or do u mean something else?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Pinkie_as_a_pig_S2E13.png

What the heck is she doing? wacko.png 

I have no idea. unsure.png 

Ah, "Baby Cakes", this is a fun episode! img-1379355-5-xtWXQl1.png   Don't have too much to say about it since so much of it revolves around shenanigans and physical humor, but I still got plenty of positive points to highlight, so let's begin.

First, I guess I'll start by saying that, out of all of Pinkie Pie's episode, I actually think that this one has the best lesson of all, if only because it's actually touching on a fairly mature subject: responsibility, in particular, the responsibility of taking care of children.  This entire lesson is actually more contrary to Pinkie Pie's character than I think any other lesson she's had to learn in the show.  Responsibility doesn't entail any partying, any fun time shenanigans, any R and R... in a word, anything that is Pinkie Pie's specialty.  She loves spreading smiles and laughs, but to be honest, sometimes doing what needs to be done doesn't involve smiles and laughs (even if it can at times), just a lot of hard work, sweat, and toil, and that's alright, and Pinkie learns in the course of the episode as much.  The other thing I love about the lesson is not only that Pinkie jumps headfirst, especially in the second half, into proving that she's responsible, but also come to the mature realization that, despite her best efforts, it's OK sometimes to admit that you may not be capable enough to tackle something, even if you really want to.  Overall, as funny as it is, this episode as I said before has a mature lesson that (1) responsibility requires putting in great work and effort and (2) sometimes despite our best efforts we still may not be fully prepared for something, but it's important that we know our limits and can admit as much.  This is why it stands out to me as probably the best lesson Pinkie Pie's learned in any of her episodes, seeing as it's such a mature lesson and Ms. Pie is usually the anti-thesis of mature! laugh.png

Mr_Cake_Diaper_Change_S2E13.png

This guy is officially father of the year!!! vsTALhM.png 

So what else works?  Well, first of all, Pound Cake and Pumpkin Cake are a wonderful addition to the show's cast (who I wish would show up more often dry.png).  They're adorable, it's interesting learning some about how foal's behave in the MLP universe, and the shenanigans they get into with Pinkie Pie are priceless.  It's also nice seeing Mr. and Mrs. Cake get elevated in status as a result of their twins' birth; besides Shining Armor and Cadance and Rarity's parents, to date they're the only married couple we've seen on the show, and probably the most extensively seen married couple at that.  It's nice seeing also they're tackling the everyday responsibilities of parents and businessponies like a couple of pros, and this episode definitely raised my measure of them substantially.  Finally, the humor... oh boy, this is a funny episode! laugh.png

mlfw3801-1332193741757.gif

20121216203342!Baby_Cakes_wondering_what

Are we supposed to be laughing or terrified?

I don't know!!!

This is probably one of the funniest episodes in the entire show, and that's saying a lot considering how spot on the humor usually is in MLP.  I like to describe the humor here as very Looney Tune-esque; there's a big emphasis throughout on physical humor and shenanigans, along with a solid blend of Pinkie Pie either talking to herself or the babies, mixed in with a few 4th wall breaking moments (of course... I mean, it is Pinkie Pie! wink.png).  The increasingly nightmarish babysitting gig is hilarious to behold as events spiral more and more out of control, and all in all it makes for just one heck of a fun episode, plain and simple.  Overall, "Baby Cakes" is an extremely entertaining episode with a great lesson, great laughs, and some wonderful additions to the MLP cast.  Not much else to say other than it's most definitely worth a rewatch if you're looking for some high quality entertainment and laughs! derpy_emoticon1.png

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

One thing I didn't like about this episode is that the babies are uncannily good at flying and magic. I mean, look at Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle, and also the mane 6 as fillies. This is REALLY weird.

Sorry, but I don't see how that is to weird or made the episode bad? They did make them a pegasus and a unicorn. So it was kinda obvious that they were going to have them fly and use magic in the episode. If they weren't going to do that, then they would have just mad them earth ponies. Yes, they did it a little to well, but the episode would have been boring if Pound only got off the ground a little and Pumpkin only made her horn glow or something.

That's just what I think. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Wait a second....the newborn pegasus Cake can fly....BUT SCOOTALOO CAN'T??!

This episode also brings up a sort of continuity error I've thought about before--this episode give us hard proof that unicorns CAN LEVITATE THEMSELVES!  This means that Twi could have levitated herself on many occassions to solve various problems.  E.g. floating herself across the chasm in Pinkie Keen.  The fact that unicorns can levitate themselves raises another question: shouldn't a unicorn that's a powerful levitator simply be able to fly?  What do they need with wings?  Also, Twilight has levitated other ponies on a number of occassions, but she only does it when it's frivalous and doesn't matter, like when she grabbed Pinkie in midair and set her back down at the end of Filli Vanilli.  But if a pony is falling to their death, Twi (and Celestia, incidentally) just sits there and watches in horror.  I know, I know, if Twi just solved every problem instantaneously with magic then there would be basically no plot, and no morals.  I just like poking fun.

Wait a second....the newborn pegasus Cake can fly....BUT SCOOTALOO CAN'T??!

This episode also brings up a sort of continuity error I've thought about before--this episode give us hard proof that unicorns CAN LEVITATE THEMSELVES! This means that Twi could have levitated herself on many occassions to solve various problems. E.g. floating herself across the chasm in Pinkie Keen. The fact that unicorns can levitate themselves raises another question: shouldn't a unicorn that's a powerful levitator simply be able to fly? What do they need with wings? Also, Twilight has levitated other ponies on a number of occassions, but she only does it when it's frivalous and doesn't matter, like when she grabbed Pinkie in midair and set her back down at the end of Filli Vanilli. But if a pony is falling to their death, Twi (and Celestia, incidentally) just sits there and watches in horror. I know, I know, if Twi just solved every problem instantaneously with magic then there would be basically no plot, and no morals. I just like poking fun.

I think the baby cakes are exceptions.

Plus Pumpkin Cake is quite lightweight, that's maybe why she could levitate herself (but I don't remember she did that)

As for unicorns in general, maybe they can levitate themselves or other ponies, but for a short time.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Pinkie Pie would be the most fun babysitter ever.

Absolutely agree ^^ I want a sister like her!!

(ehm...wait a minute...she is already my sister? like in: Pinkie Apple Pie??)

• Brohoof 1

I really liked this one. The warnings from Rainbow Dash and Rarity at the beginning were an understatement. Pumpkin and Pound are freakin' beasts! I wonder why the Cakes didn't ask a responsible, reliable pony like Cheerilee or *cough*BerryPunch*cough* to babysit? I suppose it didn't matter in the end, Pinkie did just fine. 

This is my favorite scene from the episode; pure Lynchian terror!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YkaqwQuwZI

• Brohoof 1

I honestly found that part of the episode to be funny (it really made me smile). Heck, the humour of that episode was so good I giggled/laughed almost every time Pinkie did anything cutely funny (The Piggy Dance sounded catchy to me. It reminded me of other funny and silly stuff like that from other kids shows when I was a kid). :)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

yep they had kids it surprised me too, no spoilers please, but i hope they grow up a bit in later episodes!

Wait Mr. & Mrs. Cake had kids!?!? Didn't see that coming. But on a Pinkie related note I bet she's gonna loose them and the others have to help her find them. That or it's a nice evening with tea and small cakes where nothing goes wrong and Pinkie reads them stories until they go to bed.......pffft yeah right madness will ensue wherever pinkie is at.

• 5 months later...

First let me list some more legitimate reasons why the other Mane 5 couldn't do it:

Fluttershy: Angel Bunny insists on keeping Fluttershy under his paw and when he doesn't get his way, he makes Fluttershy suffer for it. 

Twilight Sparkle: There are deadlines for these reports for Princess Celestia, and Pound and Pumpkin would only be a distraction and would cause Twilight to go insane just like in Lesson Zero. True she offered to help later, but she just couldn't babysit at that moment.

Applejack: Caterpillar attack = Emergency Applebucking season for the Apple Family. Applejack babysitting during caterpillar attack = APPLE FAMINE!

Rainbow Dash: I imagine the Wonderbolts airshow would be too noisy for babies, Plus I don't think that Rainbow Dash would enjoy the airshow as much while having to take care of 2 foals. On the plus side, I imagine Pound would want to see a Wonderbolt airshow when he's older.

Rarity: Although she didn't state why she couldn't babysit, I can give a few legitimate reasons, 

1. She doesn't have the patience to put up with the 2 foals. Rarity can BARELY handle Sweetie Belle at this point.

2. The Boutique is NOT babyproof. Shops like these require the use of scissors and needles. 

So Trust me Rarity is saying that she IS NOT the pony you want to babysit Pound and Pumpkin.

Something interesting of note in this episode as opposed to other babysitting episodes is that the babies ALREADY KNOW and love Pinkie Pie, most other babysitting episodes the babies and babysitter are complete strangers. But Pinkie Pie and Pound and Pumpkin Cake are already playmates with each other. 

But the reason why things went against Pinkie early on is because Carrot and Cup cake left the house. I imagine that in a baby's mind the baby is so used to having the mommy and daddy around that they are concerned about whether or not they are coming back which is why they started crying just as soon as the parents were out the door and why they weren't impressed with Pinkie's usual antics. 

But overall I enjoyed the episode and it serves as a realistic reminder about babies and the responsibilities that surround taking care of them until they reach a certain age.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
(edited)

you wiggle your snout oink oink oink

you wiggle your rump oink oink oink

then you shout it out oink oink oink.

loved it! Pinkie was sooo responsible :pinkie:

Edited by raritylovah

• 1 month later...