Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

New Theory on the origins of the Royal Sisters- With genetics! (Minor Spoilers)

BizzarePony

As the new episode progressed today, it was revealed that, in fact, wings and horns are genetic traits. If this be the case, then it is also implied that Earth Pony genes are dominant, and the others are recessive. So, therefore, pegasus can have earth pony children, unicorns can have pegasus, and earth ponies can have unicorns. So, my theory goes as such. The royal sisters were, in fact, born by a very rare genetic anomaly in which the genome is mutated to show traits of all three "races." This would also explain their difference in appearance to the other ponies, as their DNA is altered. The capacity for this trait to occur would only be present in the sisters' bloodline, so as to explain the lack of others like them.

• Brohoof 1

We had a thread about pony genetics a few days ago and this episode was unbelievably convenient. I agree with you on your theory but blue might be right on the genetic "mutation" causing Princess Luna and Celestia.

I beg to differ. The royal sisters (In my head canon) are not native to Equestria. They are either Angels or Goddesses that decended on this world to aid in guiding pony development.

I agree considering they have very powerful magic they go beyond the common unicorn magic threshold and also the chances of both having the same genetic configuring is very highly unlikely also Celestia is MUCH taller than the common pony which a genetic mutation wouldn't support.

I agree considering they have very powerful magic they go beyond the common unicorn magic threshold and also the chances of both having the same genetic configuring is very highly unlikely also Celestia is MUCH taller than the common pony which a genetic mutation wouldn't support.

Their bodies are also structured a little differently. Their lines are more graceful and delicate then the thicker sturdier look of the rest of the ponies.

I beg to differ. The royal sisters (In my head canon) are not native to Equestria. They are either Angels or Goddesses that decended on this world to aid in guiding pony development.

well considering that she has lived for freaking ever and that there is no other explination to why they are in charge I would agree to this, the thing is though, why is she not a queen, she is the overall ruler and we have never seen her parents, that really strikes me odd

well considering that she has lived for freaking ever and that there is no other explination to why they are in charge I would agree to this, the thing is though, why is she not a queen, she is the overall ruler and we have never seen her parents, that really strikes me odd

The only reason she isn't the Queen is because stupid Hasbro insisted they call her Princess, because little girls like Princesses according to all the market studies! Celestia is Queen in everything but title. I sort of automatically translate Princess to Queen in my mind, every time a pony says it.

Edited by cuteycindyhoney

The only reason she isn't the Queen is because stupid Hasbro insisted they call her Princess, because little girls like Princesses according to all the market studies! Celestia is Queen in everything but title. I sort of automatically translate Princess to Queen in my mind, every time a pony says it.

same me to, im just about to go off to bed, but I just noticed something, you live in NJ? Oh god me to, such a wonderful place (he lied through his teeth)

but going back to the topic at hand, yet I always thought of clestia as a queen, for a while I compleltly forgot she is a princess

Edited by marco23p

same me to, im just about to go off to bed, but I just noticed something, you live in NJ? Oh god me to, such a wonderful place (he lied through his teeth)

but going back to the topic at hand, yet I always thought of clestia as a queen, for a while I compleltly forgot she is a princess

I wish Hasbro would just give it up and let Celestia have her Corination already!

Hey, Wait a minute! I like New Jersey!

:blink:

Jersey girls DON'T pump gas!

Personally I don't really care about why the princesses are winged unicorns. Going into genetics seems a bit too far.

As for why they aren't queens, it's because Disney has built up a stereotype of queens being evil and princesses being good. (e.g. Sleeping beauty and her evil step-mother)

A genetics based theory? Interesting thinking no doubt. While we'd have to make quite a few assumptions for your hypothesis the be deemed feasible, on the whole I'd say its quite a plausible one, I'll have a shot at challenging it, and see if it holds up.

My first issue is that we're making the supposition that each physical trait (in this scenario wings and horns) are under the control of a single allele. While for the most part the structure of ponies wings and horns are homologous, in appearance, from pony to pony, I find it a little difficult to assume that the presence of such complex structures is to be determined by a single variant of a gene. A single mutation resulting in the creation of three or four unique phenotypes just seems too implausible.

Secondly, the even distribution of each race is also somewhat questionable, due to the fact that there doesn't seem to be one predominant gene. However, as Equestria doesn't experience genetic drift, natural selection pressures, or anything else that could alter the equestrian gene pool, you'd be safe to presume that there really hasn't been a need for one particular trait to become commonplace.

Lastly, what would you suppose the genotypic and phenotypic ratios of Mr and Mrs Cake would be? We can assume both are heterozygous, as they produced varying offspring with recessive traits. I haven't touched on heredity in quite a while, but I don't think it would be your typical 9:3:3:1 ratio, unless we consider the combination of both horn and wing alleles to be a lethal result (which would explain the absolute absence of alicorns).

On the whole, If you take a look at the theory from a purely congenital point of view, It's a fitting little view, albeit a little weak in some areas. Nice thinking.