Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What are some common misconceptions people have of you?

Shiki

Pretty simple topic.

People in real life usually think I'm some violent, evil person, when in reality, all I want to do is cuddle a little plushie Pikachu or something.

People online seem to think I'm a psychopath, which, maybe it isn't a misconception... but still, I like to think that my sanity is intact.

People in real life think I'm stupid, as I'm always getting bad grades, but I like to think that I do have a brain that is capable of SOMETHING.

People seem to think I'm secretly a lonely person, because I like to be alone a lot of the time, but really, no, I'm not. I simply enjoy spending time doing nothing and just relaxing alone.

What are some common misconceptions people have of you?

(By the way, 5,000th topic in Everfree Forest :3c)

Edited by Sugar Plum
  • Brohoof 13

People always think that I'm a hermit of sorts. I just prefer to be alone...inside my house...

Everybody has grown accustomed to me being some sort of genius (I have been keeping pretty good grades) but I am no smarter than the next guy, I just happen to make more correct answers.

Oh and everybody assumes I am much older than I currently am by 3 or 4 years.

Well, the only misconception people might have with me (though this is strictly directed to my classmates), is that, because I'm an 18 year old guy, they think that I will have, and will want to talk about pr0n and what kinds I like and similar stuff like that, when truth is, I want to avoid it as much as I can. It's one thing to talk about innuendo jokes and things like that, because those make me laugh, but it's another to have people right out ask you "What's your sexual fantasy?" or "What pr0n site do you like?"....it always makes me irk. Especially when they DON'T get the meassage that I want nothing to do with stuff like that in a conversation. :angry:

• Brohoof 7

People think I'm slow or inattentive because I stare at them, or off into space, when they talk to me. I'm not a space case, it's just so hard for me to decide on the right response and filter out all the other information flowing in. Awkward pauses are par for the course.

Finally, some people think I'm antisocial and unfriendly because I always keep to myself. But I'm better off that way--and if they knew the real me, they might agree with that. Dealing with others is stressful and exhausting. I have deep-seated fears of rejection and ridicule, and I go through life inside a shell that I couldn't get out of if I wanted to.

Edited by TailsAlone
  • Brohoof 4

The most common misconception with me is that people seem to think I smoke weed or take some form of drug simply because I have dreadlocks. The truth is I don't. Hell, anyone who knows me would tell them that I barely even drink.

Another is yet again about drugs in which everyone has always assumed (even before I got my dreads) that I take them just because I act differently and sometimes will come out with odd things.

Many that meet me think I'm stupid until they know me and realise that often I'm either not paying attention or was just thinking of whatever they were talking about in a different way.

• Brohoof 1

Most people seem to think that I am very violent, as they know that I coukd kill them in many ways, at any given time ;P. But, I am actually extremely calm and patient (which is a VERY good thing).

They also assume that I am social all the time, as I usually am around friends, but I also love to spend time alone, especially at night, just staring at the stars. (Love you Luna)

I am also in dance, so people my age tend to jump to "Oh my god, you're in dance? Are you gay?" It's really annoying.

Oh, yeah, people also think that I am 24 to 26-ish, when in reality I'm 17. I guess it's the beard.

• Brohoof 1

I don't know what kind of misconceptions people have of me because I have never bothered asking anyone. I have never honestly cared about what others thought of me.

The only thing I can think of would be my tourette syndrome. When I tell someone that I have it, they automatically assume that i am like Tourette Guy...

Again, I don't really care about what people think of me in real life. well... except for maybe... one person...

• Brohoof 1

Ugh, some people think I’m the kind of kid who will go and shoot up a school http://mlpforums.com/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.png. Just because I’m quite and like to keep to myself and sometimes I have a hard time talking to others because my brain will be moving faster than my mouth and I get all my words jumbled up and I can’t really talk straight.

• Brohoof 2

The most obvious and widespread one is that I look maybe 17 or 18, when I'll be 21 in a month. I look a bit older when my chin is not naked, but I had to remove my small but awesome beard because BYU is stupid :(

A lot of people think I'm an antisocial shut in, when really, I'm just introverted and don't feel a need to leave the apartment unless I have a specific reason, such as grocery shopping or hanging out with specific friends. I just don't go out and do whatever, because I like to know what I'm doing.

People also think I just sit around and watch netflix/play games all day, when really, a good amount of my PC time is spent doing homework or coding.

• Brohoof 2

People think that I'm being inattentive or that I have some kind of condition because I'll sometimes space out, just staring off into some void. That's not it at all. I think a lot, and sometimes I get lost in thought. Should we ever have the chance to meet and talk, especially over a meal or something, don't take offense if I seem to drift off. Chances are good that I'm thinking hard about whatever it is we were just talking about. By no means am I ignoring anybody.

People frequently mistake me for being about 16 or 17. That's not so bad. I can live with that one.

For a time my default expression was a scowl. People often thought I was angry even when I wasn't, which was understandable. Years of anger caused my face to "stick" that way. Somewhat recently (sometime earlier this year) I learned to soften my expression so as not to send the wrong impression.

I speak with a southern accent, therefore I'm illiterate, incapable of a rational thought, "don't know nothin' 'bout no computers," and hate people of a different hue than myself. That's why I'm actively working on eliminating this inflection. I'm tired of the somewhat justified stigma that comes with it.

• Brohoof 1

People often think I'm all goody two shoes because of my grades.

I'm not. At all.

People think I'm a crazy cat lady because I have four cats.

It was my parents idea

People think I'm needy, and make up things to get attention.

Im not.

My family thinks my appearance is pleasing to the eye, and they think guys are constantly "chasing" me.

I don't think many guys do.

I speak with a southern accent, therefore I'm illiterate, incapable of a rational thought, "don't know nothin' 'bout no computers," and hate people of a different hue than myself. That's why I'm actively working on eliminating this inflection. I'm tired of the somewhat justified stigma that comes with it.

Ah, but you're wrong on that. It is NOT a justified stigma. Stereotypes will ALWAYS be stereotypes. Ergo, one should always come with a clean, unjudging mind BEFORE trusting the stereotypes. A stereotype will always be something that people say should be followed because of the "sao many people are like that, they ALL are like that". Hell, that's an insult to all who speak with the southern accent for Celestia's sake! And I'll be damned before I call you illiterate or whateever else you mentioned the stigma is! Or any other who has a southern accent for that matter! (the only thing I complain about that accent, is how difficult to understand it is, but that's probably because I'm from Argentina and away from all that ^_^ ). It is kind of sad you have to change your accent because people can't stop being unjudgemental jerks. :(

My family thinks my appearance is pleasing to the eye, and they think guys are constantly "chasing" me.

I don't think many guys do.

Gotta look at the bright side, my friend. At least your family praises your looks. Just because other guys don't, doesn't mean it's not true. ;)
  • Brohoof 2

People having misconceptions of me... Hmmm, well:

The first is usually that I'm stuck up; this is based soley on their knowledge of my lineage, specificly my father, who is a teacher. What they fail to understand is that I don't like that fact about him, and, even though he is a teacher, he is an ORCHESTRA teacher, so it doesn't really count.

Another is that I will always get good grades. The truth is, even though I'm smart, I'm also very, very lazy, so I tend to get lower grades. I'm currently trying to bring up a few C's, however, in those classes,there's only, like, five assignments.

People think that I'm spoiled. In order for me to eat lunch for a week, my dad can't actually eat lunch all of the time. I may have plenty of video games, but I have to earn the money to get them.I may not have a job, or a license/permit, but I also don't have the freedom that goes with them. I get yelled at pretty much nightly now, which leads me to my next one.

People think that, parent wise, at least, I mesh well. This simply isn't true. Ever since I got a stepmother, my dad and I have been getting more and more distant, and my brother, who everybody thinks hates me, has been my biggest supporter.

I'm also supposedly cool. I'm not sure what the definition of cool is, but I just try to be myself. I'm INFP (Personality), so I tend to just stick with my friends and listen. I listen a lot; you can learn a ton by listening.

Another misconception is that, because I can be a tad bit sensitive, I'm weak. That is so false that I sometimes laugh out loud. I'm physically stronger than most of my friends, and tend to average out in speed. Where as these people say they can do a pull-up, then go up to the bar and say it's too hard,I actually do the pull up.

Some things about me.

• Brohoof 3

People may think I'm older than I am because of my height and my beard. (:lol:)

Because I'm homeschooled, people may think I wouldn't be good at making friends. <.< ^.^ >.> Pfff. Yeah, right.

People assume by my age that I am only a junior in highschool. Wrong. I am a senior.

• Brohoof 3

A lot of people always thought that, because I loved wolves and horses, I would become a veterinarian. lolnope.

And because I can (sorta) draw, people thought that I could/would...

1. draw ANYTHING. "Can you draw Tweety Bird/Spongebob/Tinkerbell?" And I would say, "Nope." Then they would say, "But you draw wolves all the time! How can you NOT draw that?!" to which I would say, "I draw what I like. Stuff I don't like I don't/won't/can't draw."

2. be an artist. Hell no.

When I used to be in school, a lot of people apparently thought I was mute. This was due to the fact that I don't like to talk, and therefore kept myself dead silent. It was always amusing to see people find out that I talk. xD

Also when I was in school, people assumed I was the "smart one" when I was stuck doing group work. Even though I had bad grades because I was trying to avoid school like the plague due to mental issues.

*facepalm* Crap, I totally forgot a big misconception people often have of me:

People often assume I'm nice. I'm not. :x

I can be nice, but... most of the time I just ain't. Usually, I seem to be always in some sort of negative mood. *shrug*

Edited by Wolf Angel
  • Brohoof 2

People always think I'm like 14 when I'm actually 20

My friends think I'm obsessed with cats for some stupid reason

People probably assume I'm not very friendly just because i tend to keep to myself most of the time and I'm pretty shy

• Brohoof 2

Everyone thinks I am some super genius or something, even though I'm kind of loco.

A lot of people are scared of me, for some strange reason. I am a huge softie and scared/driven to tears easily.

Other people think I'm always relaxed, but I can get stressed out way too easily.

Edited by Ivory Moth

Ah, but you're wrong on that. It is NOT a justified stigma. Stereotypes will ALWAYS be stereotypes. Ergo, one should always come with a clean, unjudging mind BEFORE trusting the stereotypes.

I do, but I've found the stereotypes to be the norm rather than the exception in the area where I grew up. Back home, thinking was heavily discouraged and if you wanted to be pretty much anything other than a farmer or a mechanic, then you were lazy, weird, unamerican, or you embodied "everything that's wrong with this country." That's how I was perceived by the people that surrounded me for most of my life, so I can understand how the stereotypes came to be and I see some validity in them, but the fact that I'm articulate and following a profession outside the bounds of my hometown's tradition should be enough for others to see that I'm different despite the way that I sound. For some reason they can't see that, though.

• Brohoof 1

I do, but I've found the stereotypes to be the norm rather than the exception in the area where I grew up. Back home, thinking was heavily discouraged and if you wanted to be pretty much anything other than a farmer or a mechanic, then you were lazy, weird, unamerican, or you embodied "everything that's wrong with this country." That's how I was perceived by the people that surrounded me for most of my life, so I can understand how the stereotypes came to be and I see some validity in them, but the fact that I'm articulate and following a profession outside the bounds of my hometown's tradition should be enough for others to see that I'm different despite the way that I sound. For some reason they can't see that, though.

Well, when the stereotype applies to every person in a single place, it seems rather difficult to escape its stigma. Even though you're older and completely capable of free and rational thinking. (sigh) With any lcuk, someday you won't be..."chastised" for it. :)

My family seems to think I'm a very cynical or hateful person, mostly because I always seems to have something negative to say about just about everything. What it really is that I tend to point out the problems something like a movie or something first, whereas they ignore it completely and would rather pretend it doesn't exist using the expression "Don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all." as some blanket statement to make me shut up entirely.

Also, I apparently look much younger than I really am. Someone actually said I could easily pass for a 15-16 year old, when in fact I'm actually 20.

All my co-workers think I'm calm and quiet. I should show them this video:

Three hundred dollar pieces of equipment and this is what I do with 'em...

Anyways, everyone at McDonald's thinks that I'm always angry, because I never smile. Truth is, I physically can't smile. If I could I would, but I can't. Oh sure, I can curl my lips in such a way that they bend upward, but it tends to make me look like a psychopath.

They always joke that someday I'm going to kill them all, since I'm so quiet and I usually keep to myself. Actually, this one's true. I've had fantasies of violently mutilating every single one of my co-workers with an axe since day one.

• Brohoof 3

People usually think I'm some really quiet kid who has a bad sense of style. Really, I just hate them all and could care less about talking to them, and I wear cool sweaters.

I like sweaters. Sweaters are cool.

• Brohoof 1

People assume I know everything because I know a lot in particular subjects. People assume that I do not have feelings because I don't meet to their social standards. People assume I hate everything because I will tell you how it is. People assume that I am evil (For a month people were calling me the anti-christ http://mlpforums.com/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.png .) So overall People assume I am a evil mastermind who hates the world... I wish I was joking.

People always seem to think I'm a lesbian. I'm pansexual. THERE'S A DIFFERENCE.

People also think I'm attracted to pans. Mainly just because they don't know what pansexual means.

People also think me being pansexual means I like to date or screw everybody. I've only had a single relationship in my entire life, not to mention I'm a teenager, thus a virgin.

Others also think I'm nice.

(it's not actually One Direction, by the way)

Edited by ~WhiteHawk~
  • Brohoof 1