Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What are some common misconceptions people have of you?

Shiki

People tend to think just because I'm introverted, I'm depressed. Wtf does introversion have to do with depression? People also think I'm emo because I tend to wear black a lot. I just enjoy the color, ok? And people tend to assume I'm straight because I always wear make up, and I don't wear flannels or have short hair. And people tend to think of me as "innocent" and "adorable". How in the world did I even end up with that reputation? :blink:

A lot of people, especially my family and friends, think that I'm a bit of recluse. 

Also, my family thinks that I'm some kind of all-knowing personal Geek Squad agent on steroids who is ready and willing to be there whenever their electronics stop working.

That I'm a smoker, a stoner, or a druggie because I'm really skinny and have really long hair and a beard. I'm actually straight edge, which is the complete opposite ideology. 

• 7 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I come off as very opinionated and even somewhat abrasive, a lot of people think I'm some cruel, evil, soulless, monster that looks to instigate fights but really I'm just vocal, people think that I'm trolling all the time because I bring context to things that are otherwise unseen or not thought about, but really I am just someone that obsesses over small details...

I get lumped into categories that don't fit me at all, constantly, I'm a giving person that is actually really understanding, when I say things like "you're wrong", that's just me blatantly stating, "my opinion", it's not to belittle you or anything, it's so that you objectively know I find your opinion to be outright wrong, I can say "you're entitled to your own opinion", but it's 2022 and at this point that's some basic cliche, borderline condescending BS that everyone should inherently know... It's pretty common sense to know that we don't control other people's perspectives, feelings or opinions and we NEVER will be able to ..

I often times feel the need to vent just like EVERYPONY else, but for some reason when I do it, it's instigative, or like I'm looking to start trouble when really I'm a human just like you with my own problems, struggles, insecurities, but often times it seems like apparently I'm being held to a special standard for being emotional when others can basically do the same things and get a free pass... 

I genuinely want friends, not frenemies, not enemies, not negative attention, but rather positive meaningful friendships, lasting relationships that actually mean something where we have common ground and can discuss mutual interests and potentially open up new interests to each other... I don't want to force anyone to acknowledge me or to be my friend bc I know just how disgusting that is, as I currently have individuals that pursue me that can't take a book of thorough reasoning for their rejection, it would be laughable to call them "hints" at this point ... On the flip side of that I can take a hint and I know when someone believes me to be incompatible with them, I just think they may not be the best judges of character or rather want to believe in an idea of who I am interpersonally that just isn't even remotely close to who I actually am as a person ..

• 3 weeks later...

I don’t often have people have a misconception of me since I showed them how I am as a person. Although then again, when people say I’m kind, nice, caring, sympathetic, and helpful which no doubt that I am. But sometimes I wish people can take me more seriously when in reality I’ve just been wearing a smiley mask under all that. In reality I do have a very bad temper,  would choose violence over reasons, or have little care about dumb people. I tried to express that more respectfully so it doesn’t eat me up but the society shunned me from doing that … like what the Joker had said,

“They think that we’ll just sit there and take it, like good little boys! That we won’t werewolf and go wild“

Some people assume that I’m always serious because I’m rather reserved around those I don’t know too well. I love seeing the shocked looks on their faces when I suddenly crack a joke or share some memes! :P  

On 2022-09-25 at 9:38 PM, EpicEnergy said:

Also, people often think I'm younger than I actual am.

Same here (appearance-wise). ^ 

• Brohoof 2

People think I'm a very depressed or very dark person when they see how I dress. ( I dress goth/punk ) When they get to know me, I'm into some cute things like plushies, and certain animals. I also watch MLP which is the last thing people expect from me.

People also think I'm older than I actually am, mostly for the way I dress and how I act compared to others my age.

I think I give the impression I’m weird, mean, egotistical or distant. In reality, I AM weird, mean, egotistical and distant, but there’s more to it than that. I act weird often because I’m simply tired (the wide-awake me is perfectly fine and lucid). I act mean sometimes because I get upset when people don’t treat me as they want to be treated. I often seem egotistical because I use a lot of words to say very little and it sounds like I'm trying to sound smarter than I am, but I just like good language. I can be distant when I get stressed and just need to be left alone to decompress, or if explaining myself falls on deaf ears. Sometimes when it does no good to argue or explain myself, I simply shut down and go silent, which makes people think I’m brooding. I don’t know, maybe they’re right. Maybe this whole post is about my own misperceptions I have of me.  

I've been told I look like I'm pissed off a lot - but not sure if that counts as a misconception as while I'm not actually pissed off most of the time, it may be true that I look like I am.

People have often told me in the past year or so that they think I look younger than I am too, which is strange as for most of my life people have told me the opposite (I remember being fined on a train at age 13 when I tried to claim I was a child, as I had a child's ticket) - maybe now it is finally balancing out. Either that or I've somehow unlocked the secret of reverse aging, which I wouldn't complain about either but is significantly less likely.

Other than that, I really don't know how people perceive me. If anyone here has any thoughts, let me know :D

People tend to think that I am antisocial due to how reserved and quiet I am. If you give me a little bit of time with you, I am actually extremely talkative and outgoing.

• 6 months later...

Well, that may depend on how much I've opened up. Very few know my views and thoughts on things given that some of them may considered "controversial."

I personally don't see my views as all that extreme however that's simply because I simply don't care what popular opinion of something is only what the truth on that given subject is even if it sounds strange.

So, I imagine some misconception about me might be that I am shy, or that my beliefs lean one way when they could in fact be in a completely different direction.

I have had to VERY carefully explain my reasoning for things in the past so people don't think I'm a jerk.

You wouldn't believe the amount of times people have gotten into petty arguments with me because they assumed my post or comment meant one thing when I didn't mean what they thought I meant.

So, yeah I'm sure there are quite a few since I have a lot masks I put on for others.

(edited)

None, all they fear from me is real. That is the reason other animals in society look at me with eyes as wide as platters when they see us outside. There is a fear that they can recognize instinctually, no matter how much I pretend. Because I am one of the wild people that has been focively "civilized". I am slightly inbred. And my behaviours, like the way I stalk for example, make me into this. It is in my genes. I am one of the "night people". A nightstalker. Otherwise I couldn't see in the pitchblack.

And a part of me still sees other human creatures as food with extra goodies. But I am not supid to pursue my nature anymore, when I realize I've been watched since day one. Put in captivity. I guess your charitable way to kill us.

And that wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't because I have been taken out of my natural habitat. Because back at home, I would have married one of my lovely sisters and made a lot of babies. And maybe we would have worked, or maybe we would have hunted, or maybe we would have raided. But at least I would have been myself. Like any other kind of animal.

That is the reason my uncle, despite being an emasculated and infatilized man-child that was raised under the pretext of christian bs, still has these dreams where we are hunting people in the night, and you are hunting us back, too. And I understand, because if someone took my family to do god knows what to them. It is natural I would like to capture, torture and kill that bastard. Even if that bastard is myself.

And that is fine, because that is the animal world we live in, and I don't have the inborn genetic traits to pretend as well as you do within the structure of society. That is the reason "syndromes" like mine are associeted with "pathologic" behaviour, which is just a made up word to describe an animal trait, just like any other behavioural trait in the animal kingdom. Or "criminality" for example. Since I was meant to be an ambush predator.

So, everything within my nature behaves this way, whether I like it or not. That is the reason I instinctively attack so indiscriminately when the prey is unaware. To incapacitate or knock out in a single blow. And then feast. Or the reason I am still looking for my sister who was never born. It is in me. But since I've been put in this little cage. Well, I want to kill myself, naturally. Like any other animal in captivity, which has been isolated from his own kin. Especially, when said kin have been brainwashed like it happened with my family. They are broken, and have no purpose in life anymore.

Because this social construct was never meant for the kind of animal I am. Thus, I will be living the rest of my days with my denaturalized mother and uncle, and then die. Because I never belonged here. I belong to the wild, and you in my dining table. As a guest of course.

Now, I am not gonna do anything stupid. Not even if you attack me. And if we lose what the kind lion left to us. I will become a beggar, and sit outside some church waiting for this sh*t show to end. That is my deal, since I am already dead. I lost my children, I lost my own family and I lost my future, because I am from the "past".

Edited by They call me Loyalty