Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread What book are you reading?

Fridge

Not reading any book but I'm currently reading a manga/comic called Hayate no Gotoku! because the anime ended in the middle of the story... The thing has like 600 chapters... will take a lifetime to finish ;_;

I finished the first three volumes of Saga (excellent sci-fi comic), and really ought to start on the next one.

I've also been reading the original Oz books by L. Frank Baum. I'm trying to read more in general lately.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently reading two books.

One is the Space Marine Omnibus from Warhammer 40k. It's a bunch of short stories from different protagonists and adventures,

I also just started another 40k/30k Horus Heresy novel Horus Rising. It's the first in the series and I took advantage of the Humble Bundle sale of the first 15 books of the overall series :D

I'm reading The Fateful Adventures of the Good Soldier Švejk During the World War by Jaroslav Hašek. It's a satirical novel about WWI. I like the atmosphere so far, but it's not as funny as I exptected.

• Brohoof 1

"On the go" at the mo -

Discworld book #8, Guards! Guards! (And it's a cracker! Possiblee my fave so far tho I thought the previous two were very good.Very funny.)

One Man Caravan - Robert Edison Fulton Jr. (forgotten I'd started this - one man's ride around the world on a motorcycle, in 1932)

Voyage To A Forgotten Sun - Donald J. Pfeil (sci-fi paperback, 1975)

Promised Land - Brian Stableford (sci-fi paperback, 1974)

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

The last weeks I've started read some old Star Wars stuff, since some days it's Labyrinth of Evil. After I've finished it, I'll take a comicbook, either the Thrawn or Dark Empire trilogy.

Edited by Space Warrior
  • Brohoof 1

I finished Volume 4 of Saga. I also got some digital comics during a sale on Amazon. Finished Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur (weird, but interesting). I have a few more collections to read, including Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Star Wars: Poe Dameron, and Star Wars: Legacy.

On 6/5/2017 at 10:13 PM, Space Warrior said:

The last weeks I've started read some old Star Wars stuff, since some days it's Labyrinth of Evil. After I've finished it, I'll take a comicbook, either the Thrawn or Dark Empire trilogy.

I'm actually in the middle of the Dark Empire trilogy right now. It's interesting, but I'd recommend the Thrawn books over it.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if this counts, but I'm currently going through Sonic comics.:D

It by Stephen King. It's so disturbing and captivating!

On 7/1/2017 at 9:20 AM, Jaspers said:

It by Stephen King. It's so disturbing and captivating!

A demented and grotesque book story that could only come from the mind of Stephen King. 

A friend has been trying to get me into the Warhammer 40k series for years. I wasn't against it so much as I just never quite got around to it. Since I've found time to read more often now he suggested I start with the Horus Heresy books. It apparently explains why the universe is in the state it's in later down the road.

I'm only about a hundred pages into Horus Rising, the first book, but I like it so far.

22 minutes ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

I'm reading Terry Pratchett's "Maskerade" (That's not misspelled. It's how Sir Terry wrote it) It's in the "Witches" sequence of the Discworld novels.

Discworld is next on my list of books I've missed out on from not reading books at all since high school.

I have a diagram saved for which books to read first and all since the series is so expansive and seemingly not linear in the slightest. It will be my spirit guide through the series. :P

• Brohoof 1

On 30/05/2017 at 10:01 PM, Tropical Melody said:

"On the go" at the mo -

Discworld book #8, Guards! Guards! (And it's a cracker! Possiblee my fave so far tho I thought the previous two were very good.Very funny.)

One Man Caravan - Robert Edison Fulton Jr. (forgotten I'd started this - one man's ride around the world on a motorcycle, in 1932)

Voyage To A Forgotten Sun - Donald J. Pfeil (sci-fi paperback, 1975)

Promised Land - Brian Stableford (sci-fi paperback, 1974)

Well discbook 8 was brilliant, one of my faves so far. The other is Pyramids which is as good I think. Currently on Moving Pictures which is a good laugh too. For example, inside the "camera" box are six miniature demons, two paint each frame of the film according to what they see out of the hole in the front (the 'lens'), while the other four blow them dry. The 'handleman', i.e. the camera operator, turns the handle to wind th film thru, but which also turns a little wheel inside which has whips on it to make the demons work as fast as is needed to keep up with the moving film. It's all bonkers! :D

One Man Caravan I'm stil struggling with, been well over a year now. Pretty sure last time I put it down was on the evening before the day I moved house. That was 30th March 2016. It's the usual problem, I find riding a motorbike wherever is actually more interesting and makes more sense to do than reading about other people doing it, as it just ends up as like list of places they've been thru and visited, i.e. virtually a travelogue. Gets boring after a while.

Voyage To A Forgotten Sun - have had better. OK up to a point, managed to finish it, then it went in the trash.

Promised Land - another one I'm not sure about, on the "death row" list.

Herds - another recently acquired Sc-Fi paperback (I was in Booth's in Hay-on-Wye only couple of weeks ago), which was brilliant. An alien doing a survey of Earth witnesses a murder, then struggles to communicate what he's seen with someone locally so that the murderer doesn't get away with it. Parallel to this is a fascinating back story of the alien's home world, where he gets into trouble with his bosses and is fired for getting too involved with what is an other worldy problem (none of our business kind of thing, and we don't want to do anything that attracts attention to ourselves), and also raises theological issues.

• Brohoof 1

The Killing: Book One by David Hewson, excellent crime novel with tons of plot twists!

On 30.05.2017 at 8:22 PM, Oleks said:

I'm reading The Fateful Adventures of the Good Soldier Švejk During the World War by Jaroslav Hašek. It's a satirical novel about WWI. 

Oooh, thanks for reminding me, this one sits on my shelf unfinished! I had to take a break from it because Švejk's stupidity annoyed me so much that I couldn't go on XD

• Brohoof 1

Finishing A Dance with Dragons by George Martin. Enjoying it as much as the previous 4 books of A Song of Ice and Fire series.

6 hours ago, Merion said:

Oooh, thanks for reminding me, this one sits on my shelf unfinished! I had to take a break from it because Švejk's stupidity annoyed me so much that I couldn't go on XD

I barely finished it myself, got bored pretty quickly. And I only read a few pages of the sequel written by Hasek's friend - that was just too much.

• Brohoof 1