Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread What book are you reading?

Fridge

• 2 weeks later...

Currently on A Storm of Swords, the third book of five in George R.R. Martin's (currently incomplete) A Song of Ice and Fire. Most would know these as the books that the massively popular and massively awesome Game of Thrones TV show on HBO are based on. And while the show is about as great as a television series can be, there is something to be said (or read!) for Martin's long-winded, eloquent, and hyperdetailed approach to storywriting, character building, and world development... I have never felt as engrossed in a fictional world as I do reading these books, moreso than I ever did reading great works of fantasy fiction growing up like Harry Potter or Percy Jackson. Being able to experience what I have already seen from the show, except through the perspectives of the characters really breathes new life into the story and its cast of characters, and every time I open the book I am amazed at the level of detail and care that this man has put into each and every word of his magnum opus. In addition, where the books and show diverge, I tend to prefer the book's take- not the show's. They seem to make more sense from a story standpoint, and are explained extremely well- most of the time. Highly recommend for anyone interested in fantasy, anyone who likes the show, or anyone who enjoys reading fiction and has the time to spare on such an immense series.

"Ellada of the kings", by Anna Świderek, "Hellenistic civilization" by W. Tarn and "Hellenism" by Abraham Ranowicz. I'm quite focused on the history of the ancient Greece and surrounding nations after the death of the Alexander the Great. 

Hey guys. With how obviously well read you guys all are I thought I could maybe pick your brains for a recommendation. See, awhile back I read Fallout: Equestria and since then, nothing has matched it. I know that might sound sad and it's not like I don't read other stuff. Try as I might though, there hasn't been a story I've read in the printed letter that has made me emotionally invest as hard, blew my mind with its plot turns, fall in love with its characters, and kept me nail bitingly tense at the climax. It's the first story I read that made me jump up and shout while reading it. I'm looking for a book that will do something similar. Time commitment is not an issue, if anything I'd like a nice long book for me to really travel with the characters, which brings me to the specifics so let's get down to brass tax.

I’m looking for a book about a small group of allies undertaking a grand quest. Maybe the quest isn’t clear at first or maybe it starts small and grows into something more. As a matter of fact, escalating from a humble road trip to saving the world is really kind of the key feature I’m looking for. One of the only stories that came close to Fo:E for me was Neuromancer, precisely because it started with cyberpunk hackery in a slum and ended with pretty much the achievement of the Singularity.

Got any recommendations? Fantasy in particular would be nice but sci-fi or other would be good too.

P.S.: Not LOTR or Narnia. They are great but I know them already.

Just started Furies of Calderon part one of the Codex Alera. Giving me some Game of Thrones vibes only with magic being much more common at the start. Hopefully, from what I know of writer Jim Butcher, this won't be hero punishingly depressing as A Song of Ice and Fire.

"When Montezuma Met Cortes" by Matthew Restall

Well; that would be whenever I finally get started on it... >_>

Amusing Ourselves to Death by Neil Sportsman

The Public by Plato (I don't like this book btw, Socrates acted like a censorship when he talked about Homer's verses)

The Lord of Rings by Tolkien

p.s. this topic is like a heaven to me, i can always come here and check if there are any good books worth to read when i'm suffering famine... xddd