Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread What book are you reading?

Fridge

I usually don't read alot of books. I have read The Hobbit, the Lord of The Rings triology and two Harry potter books. There are some other ones I don't remember the name of..

Anyways, right now I am reading a book called "Horror" and obviously it is a book about horror. Everything that has to do with horror, but mostly movies.

I'm just getting started on the fourth book of the Harry Potter series. I've been thoroughly enjoying the series so far. I can't believe I've never gotten around to reading them before. In short, they're the best books I've ever read.

• Brohoof 2

I'm just getting started on the fourth book of the Harry Potter series. I've been thoroughly enjoying the series so far. I can't believe I've never gotten around to reading them before. In short, they're the best books I've ever read.

I never got on with the Harry Potter books, not entirely sure why. I tried four of them and each time I felt something was missing that I couldn't quite place.

Glaedr is my favorite, being the wisest of the four dragons I know of so far and how he also goes through some pretty tough trials.

As long as it goes better than that god awful movie went.

I'm also kind of a weirdo, so I want to read The Prince by Machiavelli, The Art of War by Sun Tsu, and Plato's Republic.

I also find that I enjoy Shakespeare's plays.

The only problem is that I have so much homework, which I should be working on right now...

I've read the Art of War. Its a good book, not a long one but a good one and filled with advice thats applicable to daily life.

Edited by Fridge
  • Brohoof 1

I'm currently cycling through "The Dresden Files" by Jim Butcher. Great series, 13 books and still going strong. As a basic introduction, Harry Dresden is the only professional wizard in Chicago, but he's the man to see if you're being chased by vampires, werewolves or malicious faeries (the powerful, old Irish ones, not like Tinkerbell). For ages 16 and up, perhaps, but still good. Book 14 ("Cold Days") comes out next year.

If you like semi-realistic fantasy, it's a great read.

• Brohoof 1

Did someone say books?

Posted Image

I'm currently reading Frank Herbert's Dune. I actually first picked it a really long time ago, but then got distracted by some stuff. Then I decided to read some Terry Pratchett and an Anne Rice book. Then I Found a really beautifully illustrated copy of Alice in Wonderland, so I read that, and then the library was giving away free books, so that distracted me. But then I was like... wait... wasn't I reading a really awesome sci-fi novel? And then I picked up Dune again and it's awesome.

Edited by Hansel
  • Brohoof 2

I've been reading The Possessed by Dostoevsky. Actually, I would be reading it if my mother wasn't hogging the kindle all day every day!

Like the last Dostoevsky book I read (Crime and Punishment, go figure...), I'm finding the characters' dialogue and the way the book's situations are described to be the most attractive and entertaining feature. That said, I can't bring myself to read more than 20 pages without taking a break, so reading it will take me some time. :lol:

For one, I've been reading my way through the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. This is a great series, and I highly recommend it if you have a couple of months of free time(Come on, 13 books with 800+ pages each?)

Also, for those who have no qualms in reading german books, there's some really great ones out there.

Epic is a great example of that; it's about a world in which the economy is entirely determined by actions in a virtual-reality game.

I'm currently cycling through "The Dresden Files" by Jim Butcher. Great series, 13 books and still going strong. As a basic introduction, Harry Dresden is the only professional wizard in Chicago, but he's the man to see if you're being chased by vampires, werewolves or malicious faeries (the powerful, old Irish ones, not like Tinkerbell). For ages 16 and up, perhaps, but still good. Book 14 ("Cold Days") comes out next year.

If you like semi-realistic fantasy, it's a great read.

Dresden is hillarious!!

It sort of sums him up when hes caught naked by the police when they're lookng for him in the storm (his clothes got disintigrated because of a demon fight or something if i remember correctly..)

• Brohoof 1

I recently finished reading Where Are the Children? by Mary Higgins Clark for Mystery class. At first I didn't think it was so bad, but having finished it, I can say that it was a pretty terrible book. Near the end, characters are introduced who aren't significant in the slightest, just to have a vehicle for introducing evidence. A notable pet peeve of mine is overuse of the ellipsis; I counted, and chapter 21 has 222 ellipses. That is unforgivable, and I'm glad I can wash my hands of this book for good now. Apparently a lot of people really like this book?

I am currently reading The Last Argument of Kings which is the last book in The First Law trilogy. It's fantasy. 1st book - The Blade Itself, 2nd book - Before They Are Hanged.

I have to say, they are really good and I just love how twisted and evil they are.

EDIT! You've got to check out those two: Patrick Rothfuss who's written the two books The Name of the Wind and The Wise Mans Fear.

Peter V. Brett is also working on a series, but this one is not a trilogy, but a quintet. The Painted/Warded Man is the first book.

Edited by Rainy_days

Right now, I'm reading The Odyssey for school. It's okay. It's nit the best book I've ever read, but it sure isn't the worst. I'm almost finished.

Posted Image

Best book ever. Probably completely predictable when it comes to me. I'm really actually reading it. Because I'm doing a research paper over woodwind instruments. (also the best research paper subject ever. lol)

• Brohoof 1

Reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, a great book for anyone that likes science fiction and some witty humor. It's the first book in the five book trilogy. Yup, you read that right.

The first book in the 5-book trilogy in 4 parts. And that's only if you don't count the 'sequel' by Eoin Colfer. Which you really shouldn't. It's just not the same.

Speaking of Colfer, though, most of his books are awesome. Of course, the Artemis Fowl series(although that one got a little meh with the last book. He tried to pack way too much into that one, and it ends up seeming a bit rushed...), but also Airman(The 'history' behind the first powered flight. Achieved by a 14-year old :D ), and The Supernaturalist is pretty fun, too( I love his depiction of the future. It's one of Colfer's best works.)

The opus of my inquiry is "Gadsby".

by Ernest Vincent Wright

I do believe 1932 or 39', something like that.

The book is a novel of 50,000+ words without using 'e' (the most common letter in the English language).

It is a great read!

Currently reading through "My Big TOE" (TOE=>Theory of Everything)

Based on some guy's experience with Out-of-Body or something like that. When I'm finished I will know everything! >:]

Edited by Nordica

I'm currently reading "Chasing Venus: The Race to Measure the Heavens" by Andrea Wulf. Guys, it's SO good. Basically, it's a book about how in the 1700's, astronomers used the Venus Transit to get an idea of how far the earth was from the sun. It's a history book, yes, but it's definitely not boring. Then again, I enjoyed Shakespeare's historical plays, so it takes a lot for me to consider something historical boring. :P

I am currently reading a few books:

The first is George Orwell's Animal Farm as well as Murray N. Rothbard's What Has Government Done to Our Money? and Ron Paul's Liberty Defined.

Edited by NostalgicPony