Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread What book are you reading?

Fridge

The first book of the Artemis Fowl series. It's quite good for a book that uses something to do with fairies as the storyline.

"People Who Eat Darkness" by Richard Llyod Parry. Here's the summary from amazon.com

An incisive and compelling account of the case of Lucie Blackman. Lucie Blackman -- tall, blonde, and 21 years old -- stepped out into the vastness of Tokyo in the summer of 2000, and disappeared forever. The following winter, her dismembered remains were found buried in a seaside cave. 

The seven months inbetween had seen a massive search for the missing girl, involving Japanese policemen, British private detectives, Australian dowsers and Lucie's desperate, but bitterly divided, parents. As the case unfolded, it drew the attention of prime ministers and sado-masochists, ambassadors and con-men, and reporters from across the world. Had Lucie been abducted by a religious cult, or snatched by human traffickers? Who was the mysterious man she had gone to meet? And what did her work, as a 'hostess' in the notorious Roppongi district of Tokyo, really involve?

Richard Lloyd Parry, an award-winning foreign correspondent, has followed the case since Lucie's disappearance. Over the course of a decade, he has travelled to four continents to interview those caught up in the story, fought off a legal attack in the Japanese courts, and worked undercover as a barman in a Roppongi strip club. He has talked exhaustively to Lucie's friends and family and won unique access to the Japanese detectives who investigated the case. And he has delved into the mind and background of the man accused of the crime -- Joji Obara, described by the judge as 'unprecedented and extremely evil'.

With the finesse of a novelist, he reveals the astonishing truth about Lucie and her fate. People Who Eat Darkness is, by turns, a non-fiction thriller, a courtroom drama and the biography of both a victim and a killer. It is the story of a young woman who fell prey to unspeakable evil, and of a loving family torn apart by grief. And it is a fascinating insight into one of the world's most baffling and mysterious societies, a light shone into dark corners of Japan that the rest of the world has never glimpsed before.

I'm about 1/3 through it and it is quite a good read. I'd recommend it to fans of true crime books.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire........again. I honestly have an obsession. Ever since I started reading Harry Potter, I can't find any book just as good as it.

I'm reading the Silmarillion by J.R.R Tolkein.

It takes place before lotr and the hobbit...

And starts at the creation of the lotr universe.

So far it's been an amazingly written book.

Also. This season I got around 35 new books, either from Christmas presents or the books I bought with my 120$ in gift certificates. O_o

I just read that, a few days ago! I'm currently reading Life for the Emperor, it's a historical book providing evidenve of the moral assasination of Gligory Jefimovich Rasputin, and details on his physical assasination. I can't reccomend it since its only in Russian and Serbian.

For (approx.) the past 5 hours, I've been reading:

Nikola Tesla, Physicist, Inventor, Electrical Engineer

Did you know that the speedometer of cars and motorcycles was invented by Nikola Tesla himself.(According to the book, if my eyes are seeing it correctly)

What else are you guys reading?

P.S. Please Apologize me if I had mistakenly said the wrong information about the invention of the speedometer :(

If I started a list of his important inventions I'd make about 6000 characters I think.

He made DC,

Radio transmission,

Oscilation transformer (not sure if i spelled it corectly)

He claimed that he could brake planet Earth in half! (means he discovered the ressonance frequency of Earth)

He was also a very spiritual man.

I just finished the complete works of H.P. Lovecraft. Now I'm starting a book about the Roman Empire.  I actually have a list of books I read.  Every time I buy a new book it goes on the list so I never read a new book right away.  It has to wait its turn like all the others. ;)

I just read that, a few days ago! I'm currently reading Life for the Emperor, it's a historical book providing evidenve of the moral assasination of Gligory Jefimovich Rasputin, and details on his physical assasination. I can't reccomend it since its only in Russian and Serbian.

If I started a list of his important inventions I'd make about 6000 characters I think.

He made DC,

Radio transmission,

Oscilation transformer (not sure if i spelled it corectly)

He claimed that he could brake planet Earth in half! (means he discovered the ressonance frequency of Earth)

He was also a very spiritual man.

Don't forget the squiggly thing in the lightbulb.  That dude never got enough credit.

I read Dead and Buried by Kim Harrington last night.  I'm starting Hidden By Sophie Jordan in a few minutes.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire........again. I honestly have an obsession. Ever since I started reading Harry Potter, I can't find any book just as good as it.

You need some serious LOTRification. Harry Potter is total bull****. I was forced to watch one movie with my pals once. Pure witchcraft. Pure bull****.

You need some serious LOTRification. Harry Potter is total bull****. I was forced to watch one movie with my pals once. Pure witchcraft. Pure bull****.

Ever think it's possible that someone likes that "bullshit"?  I've read both series and I honestly thought Harry Potter was better.

• Brohoof 1

You should read the books!  Harry Potter is not bs.  They are so much better than the movies! The movies forget a LOT of detail.  I read the series twice and starting a third time on Chamber of Secrets.  Right now,  I'm reading Witch and Wizard by James Patterson.

• Brohoof 1

I'm not reading anything at the moment; it's really hard to actually find a book I like because usually a book doesn't have enough action or enough dialogue.

I just finished 'the curious incident of the dog in the night-time' and loved it! I'm also reading Hegels: Phenomenology of spirit, Kan'ts Critique of pure reason, and J.D Salinger's Catcher in the Rye (For my fourth time :P a classic for sure)

Some books I would like to get from amazon to finish up my summer reading with are Fyodor Dostoevsky's Notes from Underground,   Mark Z. Danielewski's House of Leaves, and T.J Kirk's The DoucheBag Bible. 

But If I read fast enough, I might be able to fit in a few more gems :P Since I'm going to be 18 next year, I want to pick some some Canadian Political novels, like HarperLand or something  :derp: 

You should read the books!  Harry Potter is not bs.  They are so much better than the movies! The movies forget a LOT of detail.  I read the series twice and starting a third time on Chamber of Secrets.  Right now,  I'm reading Witch and Wizard by James Patterson.

Ever think it's possible that someone likes that "bullshit"?  I've read both series and I honestly thought Harry Potter was better.

I guess you're both right, sorry for overreacting.

But I'm not going to read that, it would take me a lot of time, and I'm not that interested in the "high magic" sort of thing. LOTR was pretty much an exception, honestly I prefer historical books instead. 

(edited)

Read "Priests of Mars", by Graham Mcneill. Very cool book, lots of AdMech related fun.

I just finished the complete works of H.P. Lovecraft.

Ohohoh, gotta ask, what was your favourite story? (Mine would be a tie between "Rats in the Walls" and "Mountains of Madness")

I've been reading the Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett, it's so funny. I got a two-in-one book so I can start reading the Light Fantastic right after this one.

Wouldn't it be awesome, if thas was what happened to Trixie between S1 and 3?

post-3492-0-99315600-1355778733_thumb.jpg

I gotta reread those, along with the other 30....

Edited by Silverwisp the Bard
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Fate of the Jedi - Outcast. It's been a really, REALLY long time since I read a Star Wars novel, and I'm liking it so far. I desperately needed a break from A Song of Ice and Fire as well, after all. Next on my list is the Tao De Jing.

Edited by Freedan

• 2 weeks later...

Right now I'm reading "The Fault in Our Stars" by John Green. Actually, it isn't that bad.

It's in the point of view as a teenage girl who is going through cancer. Her mom forces her to go to this cancer-meeting thing where she meets Augustus Waters and all of these things happen that Im too lazy to explain :P

• 2 months later...

I got a copy of The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky today. I haven't started reading it yet, but I will tonight. I've heard it's really good, so I'm looking forward to reading it. :)

Currently I'm reading Charley and the Chocolate Factory.

Although, I haven't been reading much of it recently, I only read it for about an hour or so, then went on my computer, then read some more a few days ago.

I haven't been reading many books recently.

Although, I have been reading quite alot of FimFic online.

Well, since I'm french....

I just finished "Mercure" by Amélie Nothomb (Obviously you don't know this book) It was great, and really surprising.

For my next book, I have no idea. I usually don't finish the books. whe the story is developped enough, I just continue it in my head, it's  more interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

"Enemy at the Gates: The Battle for Stalingrad" by William Craig

I'd highly recommend this book to anyone who is into War stories and history. Its set in World War 2 during the German occupation in Russia, told from the perspectives of both the Russians and the Germans

• Brohoof 1

For school I'm in the process of reading Dante's Divine Comedy, which is actually pretty good; I'm finding it interesting at least!  For recreation I'm making my way through The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand, The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan, and Fearless by Cornelia Funke (One does not simply read only one book at a time!!!)