Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread What book are you reading?

Fridge

I am currently reading House of Hades for my own enjoyment and I am also read The Shallows for English class. A book series I highly recommend reading is Game of Thrones. It's really good and keeps you on the edge of your seat. I love it and cannot wait for the next installment in the series.

I recently finished rereading The Lord of the Rings. I had forgotten exactly how awesome that entire story actually is. Samwise Gamgee is the best character ever written in fiction... apart from Rarity.

Edited by Full Spectrum

Finally finishing the Wheel of Time series. I think Brandon Sanderson conveys realistic emotions far better than Robert Jordan ever did. However, Jordan did come up with the characters and story. I think they both did a fantastic job.

I'm currently reading ''Een hart van Steen (A stone heart) by Renate Dorrestein. It's a Dutch book, but it's pretty legit. A girl's mom goes crazy and kills the whole family to ''keep their souls clean.'' If you can read Dutch, I'd recommend it if you like dark stories - even though it's pretty complicated.

Nothing at the moment; however, I did just finish reading Anthem by Ayn Rand.  Its a really good book, but It doesn't get really good until the last 20 pages.  

Yeah, that's pretty common with her books, but her writing style when she gets really into it is pretty amazing!  Although I haven't read Anthem yet, it's on my bucket list.

Edited by SilverQuill

Let me see...I read a lot, for research purposes; my goal is to become an English teacher, but my dream is to become an author.

Right now, I've got copies of "The Green Mile" (All of the serial novels in one giant book) by Steven King, "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair, "Atlas Shrugged" by whoever, but this book sucks, so I probably won't pick it back up, and the 3 I always keep at my desk, "A Day No Pigs Would Die" by Robert Newton Peck, "To Kill A Mockingbird" by Harper Lee, and "Where the Red Fern Grows" by Wilson Rawls.

I love books.

I don't really read often unless it's a textbook. College has a way of forcing you to read.

When I was in high school, I was going to read all the Harry Potter books. I got started on Order of the Phoenix. Made it to something like page 125 and couldn't follow it anymore.

My roommate said that book was like that. He also said that Half-Blood Prince so makes up for the confusion in Order of the Phoenix. 

I'm thinking about making a trip to the library to pick it up since the craziness that was my October is finally over and the semester is slowing down. I really don't want to read any of the Harry Potter books out of order considering those are one of the very few fictional books I've really enjoyed. 

I'm mostly a non-fiction reader. If I can't learn anything useful from a book, then I better fall in love with it by the end of Chapter 1.

Let me see...I read a lot, for research purposes; my goal is to become an English teacher, but my dream is to become an author.

Right now, I've got copies of "The Green Mile" (All of the serial novels in one giant book) by Steven King, "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair, "Atlas Shrugged" by whoever, but this book sucks, so I probably won't pick it back up, and the 3 I always keep at my desk, "A Day No Pigs Would Die" by Robert Newton Peck, "To Kill A Mockingbird" by Harper Lee, and "Where the Red Fern Grows" by Wilson Rawls.

I love books.

That would be Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.  Yeah, that book has two responses, I find.  You either love it or you hate it, for the writing style or for her proposed philosophies.  How is The Green Mile?  I've not read any of King's works, but I've been thinking about picking it up at some point!

That would be Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.  Yeah, that book has two responses, I find.  You either love it or you hate it, for the writing style or for her proposed philosophies.  How is The Green Mile?  I've not read any of King's works, but I've been thinking about picking it up at some point!

Well, of course I hate it. I'm a liberal. A proud one, too. If I had known it was all psuedo-conservative BS, I wouldn't have wasted my money on it.

As for the Green Mile, I suggest it to being the first of King's non-horror novels to read, to anyone who wants to read King's non-horror novels. If you want his scary stuff, this isn't for you, but it does have some supernatural elements in it. It's my 2nd favorite book of all time, behind "A Day No Pigs Would Die," those two books being to only two books I've ever read to bring me to tears after finishing them. I'd highly reccommend it, dude :D

• Brohoof 1

Right now, I'm reading Openly Straight by Bill Konigsberg, but I just finished reading Dark Places by Gillian Flynn. So far Openly Straight is really good and I know a bunch of people who want to borrow it when I'm done; just started but should be finished by tonight (It's a really easy read). Dark Places, along with Flynn's other books, Sharp Objects and Gone Girl, was amazing. I love her writing and if anyone likes suspense, I would recommend her. 

Well, of course I hate it. I'm a liberal. A proud one, too. If I had known it was all psuedo-conservative BS, I wouldn't have wasted my money on it.

As for the Green Mile, I suggest it to being the first of King's non-horror novels to read, to anyone who wants to read King's non-horror novels. If you want his scary stuff, this isn't for you, but it does have some supernatural elements in it. It's my 2nd favorite book of all time, behind "A Day No Pigs Would Die," those two books being to only two books I've ever read to bring me to tears after finishing them. I'd highly reccommend it, dude biggrin.png

I think I will read it now, haha!  One thing that has kept me from most of King's works is the 'scary stuff'.  (Not that I'm against the horror genre, it's just not my favourite kind of book to read :P)

Yeah, I don't agree with Rand's philosophies either, but I enjoy the stories she tells all the same, not really sure why :P  It was great watching the film with my family though (all of us are pretty liberal), we all just laughed and scoffed at the second part XD

• Brohoof 1

I'm actually reading Fallout Equestria: Pink Eyes

Thought since I loved the original so much I should read this one too. I'll read Project Horizon once it's finished.

For actual books I'm read One Of Our Thursdays Is Missing by Jasper Fforde. Pretty good but you have to have read the previous books in the series to understand it all fully.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm busy with some big school projects right now, but I really want to read '' The Games About the Grades '' by two students, who graduated something like High School with about 35-37 A's together. Also I hope to get Looking for Alaska by John Green soon, since I've heard it's a really good book. :)

img-2031806-1-M8M0tFW.jpg

The novels revolve around teenagers known as the TimeRiders who are recruited by an agency known as 'The Agency' moments before their deaths. The Agency was set up to protect the established set of events throughout history and to fix it if it is tampered with. They operate from their field office underneath an archway of the Williamsburg Bridge in New York City in a two day 'Time Bubble', on 10 and 11 September 2001. Each novel revolves around a major change in the historical timeline and the team must work with each other to fix it with the help of a 'support unit' - a cyborg who can mimic human behaviour. 

"Liam O’Connor should have died at sea in 1912. Maddy Carter should have died on a plane in 2010. Sal Vikram should have died in a fire in 2026. Yet moments before death, someone mysteriously appeared and said, ‘Take my hand . . .’ But Liam, Maddy and Sal aren’t rescued. They are recruited by an agency that no one knows exists, with only one purpose – to fix broken history. Because time travel is here, and there are those who would go back in time and change the past. That’s why the TimeRiders exist: to protect us. To stop time travel from destroying the world . . ." - The TimeRiders series' summary.  

I'm actually on the 5th book, but I decided to post about the 1st book. It's cool because I got to spend the day with the author of this book series, I got an autographed copy and a picture with him too.

Edited by Vinyl Scratch (Filly)™

• 2 months later...

I just finished reading Animal Farm, and omg... such a masterpiece!!! It's just... astonishing. No doubt why it's a classic.

Also, my favorite character was Clover, and Benjamin.

Edit: Time to complete Les Miserables now!

Edited by GhostPony750
  • Brohoof 1