Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread What book are you reading?

Fridge

Right now I'm reading Murakami Haruki's The Elephant Vanishes. It's not a novel like most of Murakami's works but a short story compilation. Which is GREAT because with all my assignments, I would forget what happened in a novel in one week. That's exactly what happened with 1Q84's (also from Murakami) second volume... :huh:

Actually I have to read a bunch of compulsory readings for uni but can't bring myself to read all those boring books. :(

Well, for school I'm currently reading David Copperfield.

I'm going to start A Hologram for the King and... something else soon.

I don't read a whole lot, but David Copperfield is an extremely fine read, if I do say so myself -- and I do.

Reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, a great book for anyone that likes science fiction and some witty humor. It's the first book in the five book trilogy. Yup, you read that right.

Man I love that book series... with exception of the new one that wasn't written by Douglas Adams (for obvious reasons). A friend of mine has loads of tattoos that are references to the books.

I'm currently staring at my huge To Be Read pile, trying to choose! I think it'll be either The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle, or Tinker's Plague by Stephen B. Pearl. Depends on whether I'm feeling more fantasy or sci-fi. I'm also picking at a fantasy short story collection, Eyes Like Sky and Coal and Moonlight by Cat Rambo. She's a pretty awesome writer.

While we're on the subject of books, is anyone else impatiently waiting for the next book in the Temeraire series? It's an alternate history where the Napoleonic wars were fought with dragons. Great series if you think everything is better with dragons!

Blind Allegiance, by Frank Bailey. The author was Sarah Palin's campaign manager for four years. He writes about how hard she was to work for, depicting her as paranoid, vindictive, unstable, and dangerously unfit for national office. I don't usually read political books, much less "tell-all" tales by jilted former associates. But Bailey seems to be a decent Christian working man who got caught up in Palin's charismatic runs for governor of Alaska and Republican VP, only eventually realizing that much was amiss.

Edited by TailsAlone

Just today I finished a book titles "Sassinak" by Anne McCaffrey and Elisabeth Moon. It's the first book in the "Planet Pirates" series. It follows the life of Sassinak, Sass to her friends. As a young girl, her colony world is over run and destroyed by pirate slavers. Her family dead, Sass becomes a slave. A fellow slave, a man named Abe, helps ensure that Sass's spirit is never broken. When eventually freed, Sass 's adventures really begin!

Posted ImageGone is a young-adultdystopianscience fictionbook series written by Michael Grant. The series is centered around the fictional Californian town of Perdido Beach. Every human 15 and older vanishes, and the town and surrounding areas (later named the FAYZ) are encased within an impenetrable bubble. Many of the people and wildlife develop supernatural powers. The books follow the exploits of various characters, mainly the protagonist Sam Temple and the antagonist, Sam's fraternal twin Caine Soren.

FAYZ stands for Fallout Alley Youth Zone

I highly recommend these books to anyone who loves reading and doesn't mind the darker genre.

I'm currently reading the new JK Rowling, "The Casual Vacancy". I never thought I'd be casually reading a book about the politics about a small town, but I guess I'd read anything just because of the author.

Although I like it so far, and it's much more interesting than I expected. all I can say is...

my childhood is now ruined.

Well to be fair I'm not really that big on reading, I just don't really like it all that much. But if It counts I'm reading the hunger games trilogy because I have to read something for school, that at least gives me plenty to read from I guess. They're pretty good, but I still just don't enjoy reading that much. No offense to anyone who does though. just not my thing I guess.

Just started reading "A storm of swords" Book 3 of the series a song of ice and fire but i'm also a fan of manga even though i haven't read one in a while :(. last manga i finished was shaman king which was about 2-3 months ago.Any suguestions for some good fantasy manga you know magic and stuff.

I am currently reading 1984, Frankenstein, Code Name Verity, The Complete Collection of H.P. Lovecraft, Dust of 100 Dogs, Paradise Lost, Utopia, War and Peace, The Republic, The Racketeer, Catch-22, and Firestarter (I thought it would only be appropriate).

I just recently finished Animal Farm, Ask the Passengers, Too Far, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, and the Iliad.

• Brohoof 1

I am currently reading 1984, Frankenstein, Code Name Verity, The Complete Collection of H.P. Lovecraft, Dust of 100 Dogs, Paradise Lost, Utopia, War and Peace, The Republic, The Racketeer, Catch-22, and Firestarter (I thought it would only be appropriate).

I just recently finished Animal Farm, Ask the Passengers, Too Far, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, and the Iliad.

Now THAT is a fine list of books to be reading. Paradise Lost is a personal favorite of mine. You should check out Dr Faustus by Christopher Marlow, it's my all time favorite historical writing. :)

and Brave New World by Huxley

Guess what? That's an awesome book. If you were to mix it with a bit of 1984 and Fahrenheit 451, you'd end up with an accurate description of both today's society and the social orders we are approaching.

Paradise Lost is a personal favorite of mine.

I'm loving it so far, can't wait to finish it but midterm studying, school projects, essays, and stupidly over-capitalized holidays are interrupting my regularly scheduled reading times.

Have you read any Ayn Rand or C.S. Lewis? Two very good, strongly aligned, writers there.

Guess what? That's an awesome book. If you were to mix it with a bit of 1984 and Fahrenheit 451, you'd end up with an accurate description of both today's society and the social orders we are approaching.

I'm loving it so far, can't wait to finish it but midterm studying, school projects, essays, and stupidly over-capitalized holidays are interrupting my regularly scheduled reading times.

Have you read any Ayn Rand or C.S. Lewis? Two very good, strongly aligned, writers there.

C.S. Lewis yes, Ayn Rand no, though I am familiar with her objectivist philosophy. Funny but, even a good three and a half years after graduating college I still have nightmares about being told I won't be getting my degree, lol.

I am reading an odd book titled Jam!

Posted Image

Its an odd novel (which is loosely tied to video game journalist Yahtzee Croshaw's debut novel Mogworld) about the Apocalypse. But out of all possibilities the world ends covered in an odd strawberry scented substance that also happens to devour all organic matter it touches.

The story follows a few survivors trying to survive the new Jam covered world and what strange secrets they can uncover about the odd titular substance.

I've read the first half of it and I'd have to say its both one of the most intriguing yet most hilarious novels I've ever read. Its filled from cover to cover with Yahtzee's signature witty humor that made his video game review column Zero Punctuation ever so famous.

I'd mostly recommend it to fans of Yahtzee's Zero Punctuation, but also to people who just like parodies. I suppose you'd also get a kick out of it if you like Apocalypse movies or books.

Also I wouldn't say its required to read his debut novel Mogworld before Jam, but there are a few references made in Jam that a reader wouldn't get if they weren't familiar with Mogworld.

I am reading an odd book titled Jam!

Posted Image

Its an odd novel (which is loosely tied to video game journalist Yahtzee Croshaw's debut novel Mogworld) about the Apocalypse. But out of all possibilities the world ends covered in an odd strawberry scented substance that also happens to devour all organic matter it touches.

The story follows a few survivors trying to survive the new Jam covered world and what strange secrets they can uncover about the odd titular substance.

I've read the first half of it and I'd have to say its both one of the most intriguing yet most hilarious novels I've ever read. Its filled from cover to cover with Yahtzee's signature witty humor that made his video game review column Zero Punctuation ever so famous.

I'd mostly recommend it to fans of Yahtzee's Zero Punctuation, but also to people who just like parodies. I suppose you'd also get a kick out of it if you like Apocalypse movies or books.

Also I wouldn't say its required to read his debut novel Mogworld before Jam, but there are a few references made in Jam that a reader wouldn't get if they weren't familiar with Mogworld.

I can't help but wonder if this was somehow inspired by his review of Amnesia the Dark Descent... casuse jam did play heavily in that game.

• Brohoof 2

I'm reading plenty of manga at all times but when it comes down to books I really like to read fantasy, sci-fi or some kind of adventure stories. Currently reading the The Mortal Instruments series and I'm rereading The World of Darren Shan for the 6th time or so. I'm also rereading Grimpow: The Invisible Road because I completely lost track of what they are doing, seriously, this book is so hard to understand.