Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread What book are you reading?

Fridge

• 3 weeks later...

I am currently reading Cade by James Hadley Chase. It's good, I like crime fiction books, especially those with eh, 'juicy' stuff.(To be honest, the juicy stuff's the best part!). I got it last week from the school library, and actually had to return it today, but good thing the library's closed till January. I hadn't finished reading it!

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished Lost Metal the other day, which means a few days of catching up on podcasts and then I'm back on the Wheel of Time grind.  Knife of Dreams is next.

Once I'm finished with WoT, probably gonna read either Broken Earth or Locked Tomb.

On 2022-12-20 at 11:50 PM, Evilshy said:

Just finished Lost Metal the other day, which means a few days of catching up on podcasts and then I'm back on the Wheel of Time grind.  Knife of Dreams is next.

Once I'm finished with WoT, probably gonna read either Broken Earth or Locked Tomb.

I wanna know about the Tomb book:eager:  

10 hours ago, ZiggWheelsManning said:

I wanna know about the Tomb book:eager:  

Goth lesbian necromancers in space trying to solve the mystery of how to become demigods.

• 2 weeks later...

St. Therese of Lisieux: Her Last Conversations. A lovely, inspiring account of Ste Therese’s last conversations as taken down by her sisters before her death. As with all Ste Therese books, this one is a gem!

I'm also alternating two other books; A Rosebud Garden of Girls by Nora Perry, and  A Child's Garden of Verses by Robert Louis Stevenson.

Both books are well over a hundred years old and I'm reading them to my little girl even though she may be too young to really absorb them. But I'm loving them myself!

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

A Modern Martyr: St Theophane Venard. Written in the mid-1800s, this account of the saint, collected from letters written over his lifetime, shows his early beginnings dedicated to a religious life and it's ultimate finale at his heroic death for the faith in Tonquin Vietnam in 1861. A very interesting and compelling book! 

• 1 month later...

Not enough, I feel that there is not enough time left in my life to read all of the books that I would like to.

But at the moment I am flip flopping between 'The Language of Creation' by Matthieu Pageau and 'The Middle Pillar' by Francis Israel Regardie.

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

Stronger than Steel: Soldiers of the Great War Write to Thérèse of Lisieux. This is a book about the miracles attributed to the intercession of St Therese during World War 1, and the accounts from the soldiers and families who experienced them. It's a very moving and fascinating book, and Therese wasn't even officially a saint until 1925. But she was there, doing as she promised she would when she was on her deathbed, "I will spend my heaven doing good upon earth."

Edited by Dreambiscuit

• 2 weeks later...

San Francisco Is Burning: The Untold Story of the 1906 Earthquake and Fires, by Dennis Smith.

I like historical books like this.  This one goes in-depth to cover not only events before, during, and after the earthquake, but the massive firefighting efforts to save as much of the city as possible.

I recently finished reading At Home: A History of Private Life by Bill Bryson. I absolutely adored this book, both as a history enthusiast and as someone who simply enjoys reading about the intricacies of day-to-day life. Where better to get those sort of tales than in the place we spend the vast majority of our lives in? ^_^

At this point, I would highly recommend any of Bill Bryson's works. He does some fantastic travelogs and historical books with a level of detail that I rarely find elsewhere.

Magic Rises (Kate Daniels, #6)
by Ilona Andrews

I own all the  books and I have been rereading them slowly. :yay:

Hardcore Zen: Punk Rock, Monster Movies and the Truth about Reality

Brad Warner

Its a book about Zen Buddhism :mellow:

I have two going concurrently at the moment, 'Brave New World' by Aldous Huxley is one. I've read it before, but it's been a long time. One of the absolute classics of dystopian fiction, right up there with 1984, Soylent Green and A Clockwork Orange.

The other one is volume 10 of 'No Game No Life'.

58 minutes ago, Concerned Bystander said:

I have two going concurrently at the moment, 'Brave New World' by Aldous Huxley is one. I've read it before, but it's been a long time. One of the absolute classics of dystopian fiction, right up there with 1984, Soylent Green and A Clockwork Orange.

The other one is volume 10 of 'No Game No Life'.

Interesting. I have considered revisiting Brave New World in recent times. I recall that I was not too disturbed by it particularly in relation to 1984 in the past. But I have doubts that I would necessarily hold the same view today.

• Brohoof 1

Mouse and Mole Street by William M Schaefer. This was on my recommendations list so I gave it a shot. I’m glad I did. This is like some of the classics along the lines of Wind in the Willows and the Winnie the Pooh books. Very whimsical, very funny, and the atmosphere is sublime, especially as it highlights different seasons of the year. I hope this author wrote some other stuff cuz I’m hooked.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't read books anymore but I just started "The Creative Act: A Way of Being" by Rick Rubin earlier today. I caught wind of it when I saw it mentioned elsewhere many times, and from what I can tell, Rick Rubin is very successful and a living legend in the music industry. Never heard of him before, but I'm glad I learned about him sooner than later before getting this book!

So far, every little section is relatively short and easy to understand, while allowing me to think about creativity from a different perspective. One that's less technical!

The book seems to be more generalized for all types of artistic and creative folk as well, like in a nurturing way, so I think it would be a good read for anyone in the arts whether as a hobby or career.

There are also cute poems and stanzas everywhere to recap the previous section or allows a bit more thinking time to let it settle in.

and ummm a gentle voice fits this book absurdly well. dunno what else to say here.