Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

If MLP became adult-orientated, would you still watch it?

poniesforfun

If MLP became more adult and geared towards adults would you still watch it?  

115 users have voted

1. 1. If MLP became more adult and geared towards adults would you still watch it?

• Yes
    • No

I guess when I mean adult themed closer to Samurai Jack, Avatar the Last Airbender, Disney/Pixar movie type kind of thing or even South Park/Simpsons etc. if that's your thing. Anything that is apart from a children's format.

Edited by poniesforfun

I think it would be kinda cool in it's own way as a 18's plus spin off series of My Little Pony. To be kinda like; Happy Tree Friends, South Park and Pony Mov combined.

But only as a spin off series.

It be funny seeing angry parents giving out about it.

Edited by Rush

If the show went the route of producing a progressive-like storyline and expanded its plot to explain concepts/debates over philosophy, politics, society, norms, etc., then I wouldn't mind at all if the Mane 6 and other background Ponies still retained their individual characteristics. Adding more action-adventure signs with some heavy violence wouldn't affect me at all either.

I think the reason why people are so repulsed over the idea of an "adult oriented" MLP show is because to many Americans (and maybe Europeans), an "adult cartoon" focuses more on risque, gross, and stupid humor such as the jokes on Family Guy or South Park. Like Evilshy said, the United States really doesn't have a solid "adult cartoon" franchise where the story is taken seriously. It usually has lots of parodies/mockeries that push the buttons on shock value. Not every cartoon geared towards adults has to be like that. Anime is a fine example. Neon Genesis Evangelion had a very philsophical storyline that was compelling without having to rely on Peter Griffin fart jokes.

I guess it's just a culture thing, as American society is really outspoken when it comes to certain issues, and when some scandal/over-the-top thing happens to a certain individual, it usually gets mocked on comedy shows like Saturday Night Live. This is basically what the formula is for adult American cartoons to get their laughs.

To be honest, I think children's cartoon movies, such as Toy Story or The Secret of NIMH, are more mature than anything Family Guy or The Simpsons can ever pull off.

• Brohoof 2

I don't see any problems with MLP, I love it just the way it is. I don't see any reason in my mind for it to become another adult show.

Nothing wrong with adult shows, but MLP has something special, and I don't want that to change.

I think so of the jokes in the storylines are quite adult like e.g the Blazing Saddles reference. I would still watch the show since it is unique in terms of culture references and animation.

• Brohoof 1

No. MLP needs to remain what it is, a great show that an entire family can enjoy, with plenty of references for the adults. While I enjoy many of the fan made parodies and some of the darker fanfics, those things are best handled by the fans, and kept away from the children.

• Brohoof 1

It depends on exactly how "adult" it would be.

If it's got a few more references, or it has a slightly hidden underlying plot that only the older fans will pick up on- That's okay. Depending on how it's done, of course.

If it's filled with over-the-top blood, gore, toilet humor, death, treachery, and betrayal- Then no. We already have piles upon piles of shows for that. We don't need to warp a wonderful show about colorful ponies in order to add to that list.

But if it's like Pixar- Then that's complicated. Pixar is wonderful, as many people will agree, but I just don't think that Pixar-esque humor would fit, unless the show was majorly revamped to make it fit.

I really would prefer it to stay the way it is. A nice, cheerful, innocent children's show, with the fans making the more "adult" content that you're able to make a choice of whether you do or don't like it with.

No, that is the opposite of the show I learned to love. I love the show, because of it's themes, and such, if it was made into an adult show I would lose interest in it.

It wouldn't bother me much if it got a little more mature. To be honest, I think making MLP a bit like Scubs would be an interesting idea (Still wacky and innocent, but with adult themes and moments of great sadness).

While I do enjoy grim/dark stuff and love the Happy Tree Friends, I'd be horrified if they converted the show to fit that format. I have too much horror and nihilism in my life. I watch MLP because it stops me from being totally consumed by it.

No. If it became a show intended for a more mature audience, I'd fear that it'll lose most of its charm that I've come to love. I feel that I've seen many of those adult-oriented cartoons multiple times already. They lack variation. I really don't want MLP to go down that path.

Suriously... Im fine where it is now and its allowed for young children's cartoons as long as they don't go overboard. But I dont need pervy elements what the heck! I seen enough anime to stand it but I rarely see MA rated anime (Depends on the anime) and for starters that ruins the image of what it is >.< I dont like pervy elements in shows it really makes me want to watch it less

I don't find any of those "adult comedies" that funny and I would be quite saddened if My Little Pony went that direction. This is the only show I watch on television and I like it for exactly what it is; a simple pleasure.

Edited by Celtore
  • Brohoof 1

For myself, no. The child theme makes much more sense for what they are trying to do. In fact, I'd say it would depreciate the occasional *over the head* humor that they apply so skillfully into almost every episode. And they'd lose a really huge base of watchers. I mean honestly? An adult themed pony show? Lame.

• Brohoof 1

I'm telling ya man, one day the show will try so hard to pander to the fans, it will be destroyed by those who helped it rise.

I sure hope the fans can contain their fedoras before it's too late.

Edited by Sararyman...man

Hmmm.........I'll be completely honest. It would mostly depend on how the show would be. I think I'll always prefer the original. But if I would watch a more adult orientated show, actually, I guess so. Like AegisReflector said, it depends on what part of "adult" would we be thinking of. If somehow FIM turned into a Castle-like show....................................................................I'd have SERIOUS doubts whether that would be one of the best shows I would see. :mellow:

Fuckno.

I enjoy this show because it is so damn entertaining and fun for adults and teens, even when it is directed for kids. The way it is right now is how is should, and always will, stay. The childish nature brings me back to my not-so-distant childhood and generally just makes me feel all happy inside.

• Brohoof 1

You're asking me if I'd ever give up ponies?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Oh, oh my. I'd watch MLP if it became more adult themed, but regardless that would probably never, ever happen. No matter, I'd like it all the same be it adult themed or child friendly, the subtle references are actually even more sweeter when in a kid-themed show. (Flashback to Invader Zim) Hehehehe. Kid got his eyes removed. Hehehe. Bloody Gir. Hehehehehehe.

Yeah, hidden adult refs. are sweeter in the wrong spots, which makes it cool n' stuff.

Anyway, ponies4lyfe

Yes, but with the caveat that it would be more along the lines of a live-action show in spirit. The themes would be more mature (more so that they already are) but the setting, characters, and basic premise wouldn't change. A la "Charmed" or "The Dresden Files"

Why would it be adult rated? Dude, we don't need it to be adult rated.

But if you're asking if I'd watch the show if it ended up becoming more edgy like Lauren Faust originally wanted it to be, the short answer is yes.