• Yes: Irish
    • Yes: Russian
    • Yes: Other
    • No, I Do Not Have An Accent
  2. 2. Do You Have A Speech Impediment?

• Yes: I Can't Say R's Right Sometimes
    • Yes: I Can't Say S's Right Sometimes
    • Yes: I Can't Say TH's Right Sometimes
    • Yes: I Have A Speech Impediment Like Spagatta Nadle. I Sometimes Switch The Vowel In A Word With A Different Vowel
    • Yes: Other
    • No, I Do Not Have A Speech Impediment
  3. 3. Do You Often Digress With Conversations?

• Yes: I Usually Can't Stay On Topic
    • Kind Of: Sometimes I Digress, But Sometimes I Don't
    • No: I Never Go Off Topic No Matter What The Case

I find the top question weird. Everybody has an accent. The people around you appear not to because that's what you're used to hearing, but even the people where you're from have an accent. I have a Mid-West accent.

I tend to speak softly and quickly, which makes people not understand me at the first pass, often. But I also don't understand why people don't get me? Volume and speed, I understand. But for whatever reason, a lot of people don't seem to understand the words I say? I don't know why. Maybe I have an unconventional speech pattern that's difficult for people to follow?

I also have a hard time speaking, in general. When I write, I have next to no problems. When I speak, though, I have trouble finding words that I want and I have trouble reacting properly. When I write, it just feels natural. When I speak, though, it always feels like I'm constantly playing catch-up throughout the conversation. I think this has to do with the fact that I need some time to process the information that I'm hearing. I need time to ponder other opinions in order to formulate my own. That's how I prefer to go about basic discourse. However, when it's speaking, it's all very reactionary, and I get very little out of the conversation cuz there's not really any time to think about what's being said.

I don't have any sort of speech impediment or anything like that.

I guess that's how I talk. Hope that answers your question.

I don't really know how to explain how I talk, but I have been told I have a Northern accent. I was originally born and raised in Maine until the age of about fourteen maybe? Then we moved to Arizona for the climate. I also tend to have some slight speech issues. I say th and f sounds with my lips and not my top teeth and bottom lip. In fact, I had to take speech therapy as a little kid around four or five because I wasn't talking or communicating properly.

I also have a hard time explaining thorough things. Like, when talking about my autism or anxiety or any other issues I have, it's harder for me to explain them very verbally. So, I resort to writing them on my iPad and then having my iPad say them aloud to people that need to know what's going on. It has helped me a lot, and both my psychiatrists (I haven't settled on a permanent one since my last one went somewhere else) & primary doctor love that I am able to communicate like that.

Edited by Lady Loki

I don't have an accent as far as I know although I sometimes try to mimic some accents for fun. I also don't think I have a speech impediment although I dislike the letter R. 

As for straying off topic, that happens sometimes. Mostly because I want to talk about something I consider myself proud for doing and it has no relation to the topic. 

Speaking is nice and a pretty good way to communicate but people can lie through speech. This is why I trust body language more and would like to understand it better. 

I speak with a southern English accent (although I have often been told that I sound like a European who has learnt English for many years, for this reason some people doubt that I'm English). Perhaps this can be explained as I grew up living with foreign students who came over to learn English and, as a result, they usually required clarity of pronunciation (at least to begin with). Tone wise, I'm rather deep.

American, I tend to think before I speak so it sounds like I have a speech impediment when my brain is censoring myself or auto correcting my words.  When I do get a sentence out, I'm very articulate and non repetitious.  For instance, I noticed that people overuse: 

• Basically
  • "and stuff"
  • the 'uhs' and 'ums'

of which I don't use those words excessively. So I have some good things to say, however I think my voice maybe not something you can listen to for long periods of time. (I think  :( )

I tend to speak in a very unaccented manner, regardless of which language i'm speaking. As for speech impediments - i don't have any per se, unless you count me ending up with a foot in my mouth when i can't find the words to express something i wish to say. I tend to go off topic and digress into wild conversations very easily, but only when i don't have anything important to say otherwise.

Edited by Random Insomniac

Yes, I have an accent. A Californian one, I guess. I mean, I'm pretty sure everyone has a sort of accent.

I can't say the "TH". I pronounce it with the sound for D for some odd reason... >_>

I went to a speech therapist in middle school but she was like of 0 help.

I can't roll my R's and it makes me super sad.

I also often say "ummm" and "like". Idk how people can stand talking to me. :lol:

I don't really have an accent. I think I just talk like a regular American...? :P

Obviously how I speak would be an accent to someone with an accent/someone who lives in another country, though. 

I sometimes accidentally speak like a British person at times. Not sure why. It's weird.  :wacko:

It's sometimes as a result of talking too fast and my words get all jumbled up. 

Would that be considered a speech impediment? xD

I sometimes often use the word "like" and "um" in sentences. 

Edited by PrincessWubsyButt~

I have an Australian accent, although it isn't all that strong. And to me, I think everybody has an accent, even those who live in America. There's no such thing as "no accent". :P

I tend to speak pretty fast that it's usually hard for some people to understand what I'm saying. Other than that I don't have a speech impediment. I also tend to avoid words that people overuse, especially the words "basically" and "like". It's kind of pointless to use those words in all of your sentences, isn't it? I tend to overuse myself, however, namely "umm" and "mm'kay".

I tend to digress in most of my conversations, but when I do, I try to keep the new conversation as short as I can. I don't really like changing one subject to another on a whim.

I have da Bawston accent, wicked widesped throughout eastehn Massachusetts, aldo I didn't natarhally speak with da full accent. Stahted only as a joke between friends because I'm da guy from southin 'Chusetts, but den eventually it became my casual speakin' accent. I always did speak fast too.

Edited by Festive Daring

I have a middle-American accent, which basically means I have no accent at all. I speak with what you'd consider the most normal American accent possible.

Edited by Regulus

I'm from Sydney, Australia.

So yeah.

I have an Australian accent. I sometimes have troubles pronouncing the "th" sound, when I try I end up pronouncing it as an "f" sound. If I try and say "three" I usually say "free." 

And I never go off-topic.

not sure if this has been brought up, but there isn't such a thing as "no accent"

why it's the most popular option is beyond me, just because your accent's the one your used to hearing doesn't mean that's the way the language is *meant* to be spoken.

I'm from Maryland; I have no detectable or, at least, easily categorizable accent. The words I slur together are pretty much unique to me, though, and it's hard to even think of examples of some, other than the usual slurring of "is he" to "izzy," the word "time" sometimes turning into "tahm," etc.

I have, however, picked up random assorted bits of speech from characters in video games. For example, Zaeed in Mass Effect 2 has a very peculiar way of saying "God damn," one where there is literally no pause in between the two words, almost as if it was just one word. I replicate his way of saying it.

I don't have an accent, I don't think at least, no ones every told me I had one. But I DO for the most part, speak with a british accent, about 30% of the time.

I have developed a speech impediment in the past few months, its on and off, its fucked up, stupid, and I don't know what the fuck is up with it. its probably just my newest "tick" but, well its a really fucking annoying one, when people can't understand you for like 3 hours then after that your all fine and dandy its like what the actual fuck is up with that.

Conversations... going off-topic... uh huh. I try to keep the conversation on track without veering, in my case its usually other people who go off track, and I'm like "lets get back on topic, eh?".

Fuuuuuuuuck.

I don't have an accent

Everyone has an accent. 

Mine just happens to be the lousy one, because I'm american. Midwestern... this is very unspecific poll.. "british" accent?

Everyone has an accent. 

Mine just happens to be the lousy one, because I'm american. Midwestern... this is very unspecific poll.. "british" accent?

Ahhh fuck. Well. I live in michigan, upper peninsula, whatever accent that classifies as, I was born in Texas, but did not live there long enough to develop a southern accent, well, I kinda did. Northern/southern accent mixed for years but now its something I don't know I don't talk to people and if I did I'm not gonna ask them- "Hey? What kind of accent do I have?" that's just weird, shit. And you know, british. highbrow, better than you snobbish.