Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Favorite MLP Shipping and Why?

LyraHeartstrings

That's right, if one thing is perfect for MLP, it's shipping! Ponies are shipped with everything! (okay Rainbowdash is...) but this thread is for discussing shipping, within the show.

Here, post your favorite pony shipping, whatever it may be, as well as maybe one or two other ones you may also enjoy. Along with each pairing, provide an image, as well as information about why you like the ship, and why you believe the ship would work.  

* This topic is largely for fun, and for providing others with ideas about why some ships may be appealing to others. This is not a place to have a three page long argument about why a ship does or doesn't work, with someone else.
  • Brohoof 2

Has there been any canon shipping of any kind? Apart from... let's see...

Spike + Rarity

Rarity + Prince Blueblood

Mr + Mrs. Cake

Lyra + BonBon (from the Comic-Con poster)

I highly doubt that more love stories are a direction that FiM is going to go. Then again, I've been wrong about a lot of things.

I'm not too into shipping, in fact I hate it except under some very, very rare occasions. But there is one ship that I support wholeheartedly and is practically verified by canon. A ship so grand as to make the other ships tremble in its wake.

The Great and Powerful Trixie x The Great and Powerful Trixie

• Brohoof 44

I don't get into shipping much when in comes to ANY fandom but as far as My Little Pony goes....

I really like Fluttershy + Big Macintosh.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Brohoof 16

Just to throw a wrench into the proceedings, Vinyl Scratch is Rarity's mom. She's surprisingly youthful for her age, but some ponies are just like that.

Also, there appears to be no mention of the frequently common slash ships in this thread. I am unaware as to any rule that prohibits it.

And if I had to pick a ship.... Discord/Luna, although obviously onesided.

No slash-shippings yet? Tsk, tsk, we can't have that, now can we? ;)

I've got a few shippings I support, one of them being a mare/mare-pairing. Even though I'm emberrassed to no end, I absolutely love shipping, in any form, in any fandom. As opposed to what seems like more casual shippers, I love getting into the psychological parts of pairing characters up and prefer interesting story possibilities, instead of characters X and Y just looking cute together. I'm having a real hard time pairing MLP-characters up in interesting manners, though, mostly because I dislike having more than one same-sex ship, since they're so rare in real life. But here's what I've got at the moment:

1. Rainbow Dash/Pinkie Pie

2. Twilight Sparkle/Discord

3. Rarity/Big Macintosh

4. Spike/Sweety Bell

• Brohoof 4

I'm not usually big on shipping in any fandom. But I also love reading shipping fan fics, so I guess I'm just a pretty bizarre person. I guess it doesn't really help that I don't really like most heterosexual ships regardless of fandom. Still, something about ponies just makes shipping fun. I don't really have any one ship I support, I'll read about almost any mare/mare ship, but Pinkie Pie/Rainbow Dash is adorable. But so is Pinkie Pie/Twilight, so I really don't know where I'm going with this.

• Brohoof 1

Fluttershy x Big Mac is definitely my biggest ship. Just the idea is far too adorable. :wub: I also love Pinkie Pie x Rainbow Dash. Fluttershy x Rarity is starting to grow on me as well.

No slash-shippings yet? Tsk, tsk, we can't have that, now can we? ;)

I've got a few shippings I support, one of them being a mare/mare-pairing. Even though I'm emberrassed to no end, I absolutely love shipping, in any form, in any fandom. As opposed to what seems like more casual shippers, I love getting into the psychological parts of pairing characters up and prefer interesting story possibilities, instead of characters X and Y just looking cute together. I'm having a real hard time pairing MLP-characters up in interesting manners, though, mostly because I dislike having more than one same-sex ship, since they're so rare in real life. But here's what I've got at the moment:

1. Rainbow Dash/Pinkie Pie

2. Twilight Sparkle/Discord

3. Rarity/Big Macintosh

4. Spike/Sweety Bell

I was waiting how long it would take till we got one of THOSE.

• Brohoof 5

Fluttershy x Big Macintosh. I have no IDEA why apart from it's a big mashed-up pot of wuvabul adorableness...er...ROAR FOOTBALL.

Also, I'm surprisingly FINE with a lot of the femships.

I have never been at all supportive of Yuri in other fandoms.

But I am here.

In My Little Pony.

WTF.

• Brohoof 2

I was waiting how long it would take till we got one of THOSE.

One... of THOSE! Dun-dun-DUN!

Heheh, well, they're kinda hard to come by, what with the whole mane cast being female. If it's any consolation, I actually looked into it and studied the possibilities (as nerdy and obsessive as that sounds), before coming to the conclusion that I like it. It wasn't just random fangirly-ness, though that might've played a part in making it my favorite. :P

Edited by Glitterpen

For some reason I really don't like Dash and Pinkie shipping. The only reason there's so much of it though, is probably they are pretty much the 2 more favourited characters of the show. (well, they used to be, but once people got into the show, thy started lighting up to Rarity and Fluttershy more...)

Obviously, the best ship is Fluttershy and BigMac, just because they seem to go so well together, but I could also see Fluttershy and Rarity. They are obviously best friends, and I can see generosity and kindness going together quite well...

Rarity and Spike go together well also, but for some reason it makes Rarity look kind of weird. I mean, a relationship with a Dragon that will grow to be the size of a building? I still enjoy fics about them, but I can't see it happening. sorry Spike...

Twilight and Trixie: I can't really see this happening. Maybe if Trixie came back nice, but other then that, they are both very different ponies and might not get over past events... Now, Luna and Twilight could work, but It'd be weird, considering Luna's a princess, and her big sister knows everything about Twilight. They would be very cute though :)

And of course, you've got your run of the mill, RD/AJ... They work together extremly well. Imean watch Fall weather freakin' friends. Any shipping between the 2 are a perfect follow up to this episode. Both are very tomboyish, and constantly make cracks at each other. (loving cracks...)

(wait what?)

Anyway, those are who I'd say have the best shipping qualities, and who don't work.

If I told myself 7 months ago that I'd be writing this, I'd probably beat the apples out of me...

For some reason I really don't like Dash and Pinkie shipping. The only reason there's so much of it though, is probably they are pretty much the 2 more favourited characters of the show.

Naaah, I'm not saying you're completely wrong, 'cause it might be true for some shippers, but I take the right to defend my own opinion here. I personally ship these two, because I see the most canon "hints" here (unintentional on the writers' part, I'm sure). Pinkie's jealousy and Dash sticking up for her and the others in "Griffin the Brush-off", Dash's protectiveness towards her in "Over a Barrel" and unwillingness to give up on her, even when she was diving head-first into insanity in "Party of One" (not to mention, for a few frames, her face is framed by the heart on Pinkie's door, before coming in) and little gestures like that can easily be interpret as romantic, if you're in the right state of mind. These are what I think most RainnowPie-shippers base their speculation on. It is so in my case, anyway.

I think it depends on how one decides to pair the characters and what one wants to come of it. From your post, it seems like you're mostly into pairing characters who've got things in common from the get-go. That's perfectly valid - we tend to get along better with people we've got something in common with. I, on the other hand, ship characters who I think would benefit from a relationship, perhaps with difficulties, but turn out better than they started. What I like about the RainbowPie-ship, is that Pinkie allows Dash to be girly and silly, because she looks up to her so much and doesn't need convincing that she's strong. Pinkie would benefit from someone as loyal and straight-forward as Dash, because her crazieness would be kept in check, while still used for harmless things, like pranks.

Again, both are perfectly valid reasons. We're just basing our shippings on different things. ;)

(And for the record, I actually like Applejack better than Pinkie Pie. And no, I'm not shipping her with anyone else. Just clearing that up.)

Pinkie's jealousy and Dash sticking up for her and the others in "Griffin the Brush-off", Dash's protectiveness towards her in "Over a Barrel" and unwillingness to give up on her, even when she was diving head-first into insanity in "Party of One" (not to mention, for a few frames, her face is framed by the heart on Pinkie's door, before coming in) and little gestures like that can easily be interpret as romantic, if you're in the right state of mind. These are what I think most RainnowPie-shippers base their speculation on. It is so in my case, anyway.

Isn't Rainbow's element loyalty? (sorry if that sounds douche-baggy, I just find that thee examples are just RD being loyal.)

But, yeah, it doesn't matter. Ponies can be shipped with apes for all I care, it's all just for fun. ;)