Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is your opinion on Crossdressing?

Colon Leftbracket

I'm a man. I wear men's clothes. I feel no ambiguity about that issue. I have a number of strange habits but cross-dressing has never been one of them. Women's clothes would look absolutely terrible on me, to say nothing of how innocent bystanders would feel if I went out in public.

Posted Image

• Brohoof 1

While it's something I'm interested in I imagine my face is too masculine in features to pull it off and "pass" as they say. If I'm ever to try it I first need solid reason to believe it's possible for me to look like the opposite sex and not some visually disturbing inbetween that will only serve to reinforce the gender binary. As for why it appeals to me said appeal is more fetishistic in nature than an expression of gender identity. For the most part, I'm happy being a guy, usually only crossing into feminine territory when it comes to female targeted books, movies, anime and such that I've found to be worthwhile. Fetish or not being able to look like and feel like a woman does sound wonderful, shame it's probably beyond my grasp.

Edited by ByTheTides

As long as you like it, go ahead, but I don't recommend wearing female clothing in public. It would raise a lot of questions, especially from little kids and those who know you.

Unless of course you look similar to Kurt Hummel from glee, then questions would likely not be raised.

Edited by Midnight Melody

If you're doing it for attention, you're doing it wrong. If you're doing it for comfort in the comfort of your own home, then I see nothing wrong with it. It's the people that go out that obviously look like crossdressers that worry me. People like to be able to express themselves, but sometimes they go overboard with the idea. Kudos to you if you find comfort in it, even more kudos if you can pull it off successfully.

Do whatever you want. Yes, I would judge you by looks, but that's untill I get to know you in person. I once befriended a geeky looking guy and after a while it turned out that he was really cool and not geeky at all. So yeah, I guess I have prejudices against these kind of things.

I have no problem with it at all, if it is what makes you happy go for it! As someone who partcipates in a lifestyle that is judged or misunderstood I do want you to understand the implications of it if you decide to be public.or open about it, some people won't understand, some people will say hurtful things, sometimes people will say hurtful things not because they mean to but because they are ignorant and trying to understand or be supportive. I am in a dominant and submissive relationship, and a symbol of that is a collar, if the world wasn't so judgemental I would wear my collar all the time, because it makes me happy, but reality is I can't and I won't because I don't want to be judged and there are consequences to wearing it all the time.

I think.it is great you are exploring and finding out who you are and I support that whole heartedly :). If you ever need.to talk just message me and remember to be you

• Brohoof 2

Absolutely nothing wrong with it, whatsoever. They're just clothes, wear what you want, how you want. I cross dress a lot, myself. Go all out, or just do a little - whatever you're comfortable with.

[edited for typo, derp]

Edited by Marceline

Well in my opinion it's fine. What I've never understood is that most people think it's fine when women wear men's clothing but not vice versa. Sure it's a little unusual to cross dress and will attract attention but I have no problems with it. I think you should do whatever makes you happy, same for everyone.

I don't even know what to think about crossdressing, I'm so confused.

One part of me think it wrong, and the other one thinks that it's fine, go for it!

I'm not sure from what perspective this thread is focused, but if we are talking about a really tormented male (or female), that all his/her life felt like a female (or male) and doesn't find himself/herself in a male (or female) body. You know, the case of "I was born in the wrong body". Then I would fully understand why she/he would dress as the opposite sex, I fully understand, it's hard. As long as his/her full goal is to "become" the sex he/she wanted. You know, to completely at least look and act like a woman/man.

But, at the same time, if a guy or a girl, randomly wants to dress and act (if that the case) as the opposite sex in public, I find that VERY WEIRD, and I would probably make THAT look. It's wrong for (let's use a man in this case) a person who still identifies himself as male, to wear really feminine clothes, skirts even, and still look like a man in woman's clothes, I have a problem with it and I don't like it. Because no matter what does he do, he will always bring negative attention, why he would seek for that?

I'm not talking about sexuality, I'm talking about masculinity and femininity, and when a man is not masculine enough, then ignorant people would assume that he's gay which makes me sick to my stomach. People relate less masculinity to more gay, and that's so wrong.

But having said that, I see cross dressing ok as a kink or a fetish. Many people has very kinky stuff that turns them on, some are outrageous and some are as innocent as Fluttershy, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if a guy would feel curiosity for trying woman's clothes to discover more about his femenine side, or because it turns him on, whichever is the reason. Actually I'm VERY open minded, and that's include the fetish/kink subject, I'm open minded with that as well. It's cool, I even wondered how would I look like or how would I be if I were a girl, or how my butt would look in a short skirt XD. But like I said I see this more of a fetish than any other thing, and being a fetish it should be something that you should keep behind closed doors or with people who share your fetish with you.

It's like being a brony, we bronies gather together in places like this or convetions because we can talk ponies all we want because not many people is tolerant with the cute ponies and the show, and some may get mad if we talk about ponies around them.

Lately, I've seen myself picking up new interests and discovering new things about myself.

Over the last year I've been searching for answers on my own identity whether it be sexuality, gender, or otherwise. This long search has lead me to a few odd places and one of them now being Crossdressing.

Now I haven't been able to Crossdress myself due to lack of... well many things, privacy, money, and women's clothing, but its something that doesn't just seem very appealing to me but actually feels like something that's been missing from my life.

I've been talking to a few other like minded Crossdressers from various corners of the Internet and they say it seems to help them feel more comfortable with themselves. I've always found myself a bit uncomfortable having to assume the masculine role in life when the feminine things seem more appealing, so I guess its something I'd like to try to see if it helps me feel more comfortable in my own skin.

---

But of course such a thing comes at a price. The world is actually not very tolerant of Crossdressers, probably more so than you think. Similar to issue with the whole Brony phenomenon, the world is pretty obstinate to give up its idea of black and white, masculine and feminine ideals. A man wanting to wear a skirt is something that society REALLY frowns upon, which is sad because its just a piece of cloth that that man wants to wear to help himself feel more comfortable with whatever gender identity issue he is going through.

So I was curious to see what the opinion of my fellow forum goers is on Crossdressing. If you saw a man walking through your town wearing a dress, what would you think?

Don't be afraid to leave your honest opinions down below.

But do remember to please stay civil. I don't want this to become one of THOSE threads that needs to be locked down before we even start a discussion. :P

I'm gonna be honest, I couldn't be more disconnected from what men and women should and shouldn't wear. If I see an item of clothing in a shop that I like and I want to buy it, I buy it. I don't see why a tiny label on the inside that might say "F" should prevent me from that. In fact, I'm not really sure which of my clothes are intended for women and which are intended for men. (Aside from the skirts and kimono.) I honestly just... stopped caring, and I don't really think of it as cross-dressing either. I don't wear womens clothes "because it's the real me" or "because it makes me feel more comfortable in my own skin", and I don't really understand why I need to be transgendered to wear clothes associated with women. I don't value clothes on that kind of level. If I feel comfortable in something, and it looks okay on me... then what else do I need? They're just clothes..and I like clothes... :I

I think it's also important to remember that's what seen as a male aesthetic and what's seen as a female aesthetic is mostly subjective and varies between different societies and different civilisations. At the end of the day, they're just arbitrary rules that don't really make a great deal of sense.

Edited by Hansel
  • Brohoof 6

My arms cross-dress...

But seriously, I don't really care if you cross-dress. It's just clothing. Society will label you as a freak, but if you can get over that, more power to you.

I have a friend in the army who used to be stationed in Hawaii. He called cross-dressers "Onos", because when you see one, you say "Oh no!" and run away. (He was joking, by the way.)

I'm gonna be honest, I couldn't be more disconnected from what men and women should and shouldn't wear. If I see an item of clothing in a shop that I like and I want to buy it, I buy it. I don't see why a tiny label on the inside that might say "F" should prevent me from that. In fact, I'm not really sure which of my clothes are intended for women and which are intended for men. (Aside from the skirts and kimono.) I honestly just... stopped caring, and I don't really think of it as cross-dressing either. I don't wear womens clothes "because it's the real me" or "because it makes me feel more comfortable in my own skin", and I don't really understand why I need to be transgendered to wear clothes associated with women. I don't value clothes on that kind of level. If I feel comfortable in something, and it looks okay on me... then what else do I need? They're just clothes..and I like clothes... :I

I think it's also important to remember that's what seen as a male aesthetic and what's seen as a female aesthetic is mostly subjective and varies between different societies and different civilisations. At the end of the day, they're just arbitrary rules that don't really make a great deal of sense.

I absolutely agree with you; I agree with you so much. :D You've basically just coherently voiced my own thoughts on the matter. Poo, sometimes I suck at explaining.

• Brohoof 1

I absolutely agree with you; I agree with you so much. :D You've basically just coherently voiced my own thoughts on the matter. Poo, sometimes I suck at explaining.

BEHOLD THE FUCKS I GIVE ABOUT GENDER NORMS.

Posted Image

Anyway, skirts give me an excuse to wear legnings.

Those things are comfy man. :I Especially if you're like me and refuse to wear jeans unless you have to peel them off spatula at the end of the day.

Edited by Hansel
  • Brohoof 2

BEHOLD THE FUCKS I GIVE ABOUT GENDER NORMS.

Posted Image

Anyway, skirts give me an excuse to wear legnings.

Those things are comfy man. :I Especially if you're like me and refuse to wear jeans unless you have to peel them off spatula at the end of the day.

LOL. I like to wear cargo pants and men's shirts, because they aren't so defining. Women's shirts are usually cut lower and are pinched at the waist, giving emphasis to a womanly figure, which I'm not particularly fond of.

LOL. I like to wear cargo pants and men's shirts, because they aren't so defining. Women's shirts are usually cut lower and are pinched at the waist, giving emphasis to a womanly figure, which I'm not particularly fond of.

See, I have both... I'm not sure which is which anymore, but generally speaking, i like men's tops because they're baggy and snugly :3

But women's tops tend to have more effort put into the design, so I have a bunch of those as well.

As far as trousers go, I tend to buy women's ones because the guy's trousers are are usually too big on me. http://mlpforums.com/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.png

Edited by Hansel

When I was a kid I had a phase of wearing girls clothes when I could. Me and a really good girlfriend that I had in my childhood spend a whole day in each others cloths. It was probably our sub conscious giving us a way to identify with one another (this is also a reason why you can find kids playing with opposite gender toys)

But in the end wearing girls cloths is, now, just weird for me. I would only do it for fun.

I dont have a problem with crossdressers, unless they are wearing things that are ill fitting/ revealing/ down right weird. I think the dress would be a bit of a stretch though... The things is men do not shave they're legs (most) and I dont think guys could easily fit into heels... A nice womans shirt or tee and jeans would look fine though!

Hmm... this really reminds me of a quote that I saw a long time ago. I'm not sure if any particular person said it or if it was just some random tumblr user, but oh well its still useful no matter who said it.

"These aren't men's clothes or women's clothes, they are MY clothes because I bought them!"

I guess when you think of it THIS way there is no such thing as Crossdressing, but just well... dressing! Kinda a comforting thought when you think about it.

Edited by Colon Leftbracket
  • Brohoof 4

I don't see any serious reasons for doing it.

Why do it? Out of curiosity? To "express" your "sexual identity"?

The former seems completely silly and the latter seems obnoxious. "Look guys, I'm a guy and I'm wearing a dress! Acknowledge my self-proclaimed identity!"

Or maybe somebody simply prefers the style of the opposite sex's clothes. I just don't get it why so many have such a hard time understanding that concept.

• Brohoof 5

Or maybe somebody simply prefers the style of the opposite sex's clothes. I just don't get it why so many have such a hard time understanding that concept.

Well excuse me for not vindicating the "because I like it" response. I wasn't exactly trying to create an exhaustive list of all the silly rebuttals someone will conjure up when someone objects to cross-dressing.

As I said before, there's no serious reasons for doing it. "Because I like it" falls under the category of unserious reasons.

As does "because I can" and "it's none of your business!".

The list goes on.

As I said before, there's no serious reasons for doing it. "Because I like it" falls under the category of unserious reasons.

Is it really such an unserious reason, though? "Because I like it" is the motivation behind quite a bit of things in this world.

I watch ponies because I like it, I play video games because I like them, I go to work because I like the things that I can buy with the money that I earn.

Doing something that is harmless and does not cause any problems for anyone else simply because you enjoy it is a perfectly valid reason for doing it, I would say. I don't see why it's any less 'serious' a reason for doing something than the explanations regarding it making people feel more comfortable or in tune with their desired gender identity.

• Brohoof 3