Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Everypony's Religion And Why?

Ezynell

What is your religion?  

65 users have voted

1. 1. What is your religion?

• Catholic
    • Orthodox
    • Protestant
    • Lutheran
    • Anglican
    • Methodist
    • Baptists
    • Unitarian/ Universalist
    • Christian (other, or general)
    • Islam
    • Hindu
    • Buddhist
    • Agnostic
    • Atheist
    • Satanist
    • Reform
    • Judaism (other, or general)
    • Equestreism (or don't care)
    • Electic Pagan (added at request)
    • Wicca (added at request)
    • Jehovah's Witness (added at request)
    • Spiritual (added at request)
    • Other (quote the OP and I'll try to add it ASAP)

What gave it away...

And while the frequency of topics like this might be reason to not make more, the fact that people are sometimes (insert favorite expletive here)'s is not a good reason to refrain from talking about what seems to many to be a profound and deeply important subject.

Well, imagine that everyone is in his own little fantasy worldd and doesnt like waking up or being called wrong(which is natural for humans) so everyone avoid going into the subject about each persons fantasy world since the result usually isnt good on the internet at least(since humans always play with labels to feel better etc), similar thing happens with religion

Even though some things are important it isnt a good idea to discuss them outside a small good team dedicated at that subject

Well, imagine that everyone is in his own little fantasy worldd and doesnt like waking up or being called wrong(which is natural for humans) so everyone avoid going into the subject about each persons fantasy world since the result usually isnt good on the internet at least(since humans always play with labels to feel better etc), similar thing happens with religion

Even though some things are important it isnt a good idea to discuss them outside a small good team dedicated at that subject

Ill play.

1) Nobody likes being told theyre wrong

2) If you talk about religion on the internet you will be told that you are wrong.

3) Thus you shouldn't talk about religion on the internet.

This is your argument as fair as I can make it out to be. Two points: first, 3 does not follow from 1 and 2. Second, premise 1 is false, because I don't particularly mind being told I'm wrong so long as there are good reasons for the disagreement (so I'm a counterexample)

Ill play.

1) Nobody likes being told theyre wrong

2) If you talk about religion on the internet you will be told that you are wrong.

3) Thus you shouldn't talk about religion on the internet.

This is your argument as fair as I can make it out to be. Two points: first, 3 does not follow from 1 and 2. Second, premise 1 is false, because I don't particularly mind being told I'm wrong so long as there are good reasons for the disagreement (so I'm a counterexample)

Big mac style Nope xD

1)Most poeple dont like being told they are wrong and some react very bad

2)If you talk about religion some posters are bound to start wars about who is right, so called flame wars

3)Flame wars are not pretty therefore its not really a good idea to post such things online since people are more busy defending themselves or attacking others instead of trying to find an answer to the argument.

So you arent probably going to get an answer to your argument and you would have just upsetted a lot of people who dont like being called wrong xD, which means you get nothing expect a bunch of upset people, not really worth it imo unless you are purposly trolling xD

Praise lord Smooze.

Praise the flying spaghetti monster xD

(edited)

I just merged a couple thread in here. Why? Cause I'm a mod, that's what mods do B)

Just a heads up, we keep our eyes on religion threads as if not keeping the eye on religious threads were against our own religion. Ironic, because I do not have a religion being an Atheist and all, but maybe I will convert to Feldian eventually. Feld0 is god, **bows towards Vancouver** So yeah, step outta line, this thread gets a good woopin', keep that in mind ;)

Edited by Klopp
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

Big mac style Nope xD

1)Most poeple dont like being told they are wrong and some react very bad

2)If you talk about religion some posters are bound to start wars about who is right, so called flame wars

3)Flame wars are not pretty therefore its not really a good idea to post such things online since people are more busy defending themselves or attacking others instead of trying to find an answer to the argument.

So you arent probably going to get an answer to your argument and you would have just upsetted a lot of people who dont like being called wrong xD, which means you get nothing expect a bunch of upset people, not really worth it imo unless you are purposly trolling xD

Woah merge in the middle of writing this... totally got thrown off...

Now onward. 3 still doesn't logically follow from 1 and 2. I understand not everybody is familiar with premise-conclusion form arguments, seeing as they're pretty much limited to logic and philosophy classes. However, here is a good overview: link

In any case, all the discussion that got merged into here was pretty calm. Furthermore, I don't intend to respond to flame posts, so unless somebody else does, there can't be much of a war. Also, I should think that if people are going to get that upset, they should just stay out of the thread in the first place.

Edited by crrice

(edited)

Feld0 is god, **bows towards Vancouver** So yeah, step outta line, this thread gets a good woopin', keep that in mind ;)

Your wrong cuz Equestreism is the ONLY true religion!!!

All heil celestia!!

All heil ponies!!

or is it

All heil Ponies!!

All heil Celestia!!

Whats the correct ordeR?

Edited by Rainbow_Crash

Your wrong cuz Equestreism is the ONLY true religion!!!

All heil celestia!!

All heil ponies!!

or is it

All heil Ponies!!

All heil Celestia!!

Whats the correct ordeR?

It's probably Celestia, then ponies.

I used to be catholic, but it came to me when i was little. We were sitting in the second row and the father was giving his sermon, he was talking something about how god sent his son to die on the cross to forgive the worlds sins, I then turned to my mother and asked "If God forgives all of everyone's sins, why did he have to kill his own son?" My mom tuned to me slapped me and said "Shutup and don't ask stupid questions." Ever since that day I never really could believe that someone so powerful as God who can do anything and decide someones fate and their whole livelihood, and yet he had to kill his own son to prove a point, BUT WAIT in the Bible Jesus then proceeds to say on the cross "Father, why have you forsaken me?", God abandons his son, he turns the other way and just can't bear to look. I just don't know why someone so powerful as God would do that. It really shook what I thought I knew. I'll admit I still have a small speck of faith, but not towards a Biblical god, I believe some divine power had some hand in the creation of this world we live in, but also I believe science has it's place in nature, Natural selection and evolution for example.

DR;TL, Agnostic, and Atheist to some extent.

• Brohoof 2

I used to be catholic, but it came to me when i was little. We were sitting in the second row and the father was giving his sermon, he was talking something about how god sent his son to die on the cross to forgive the worlds sins, I then turned to my mother and asked "If God forgives all of everyone's sins, why did he have to kill his own son?" My mom tuned to me slapped me and said "Shutup and don't ask stupid questions." Ever since that day I never really could believe that someone so powerful as God who can do anything and decide someones fate and their whole livelihood, and yet he had to kill his own son to prove a point, BUT WAIT in the Bible Jesus then proceeds to say on the cross "Father, why have you forsaken me?", God abandons his son, he turns the other way and just can't bear to look. I just don't know why someone so powerful as God would do that. It really shook what I thought I knew. I'll admit I still have a small speck of faith, but not towards a Biblical god, I believe some divine power had some hand in the creation of this world we live in, but also I believe science has it's place in nature, Natural selection and evolution for example.

DR;TL, Agnostic, and Atheist to some extent.

Well it seems clear that the Christian God is out of the picture...

but,

what do you think about other religions like Islam or even something stranger like Hinduism?

Well it seems clear that the Christian God is out of the picture...

but,

what do you think about other religions like Islam or even something stranger like Hinduism?

That's the thing, I;m not quite sure what to believe in, I've read the Quran as well as the Torah. I've studied Buddhism and even practiced Confucianism(even though it's not technically a religion :P) but it all doesn't feel quite right. I don't think it's necessarily the fact that I'm searching for something to fill the void of religion, but it's just something i'm looking for that can help me understand the world as a whole, not why am I here on earth. I feel a stronger connection to science because of the fact that it makes sense and has proof, but God or a Divine power is something that can't be proven it's just really how the person experiences their life, and what religion pertains to their habits(IMO). But I guess the closest thing I strongly believe in as a religion i guess would be Karma, Do good unto others and good will come back to you& Vice versa with bad, I see it as the fundamental law of the universe.

Nah I wouldn't expect a change. From what I've seen on the internet, most sites tend to have a lot of atheists. :P

Perhaps the more religious are afraid of the internet. Considering I kinda worship the internet. It's the Atheist God.

"If God forgives all of everyone's sins, why did he have to kill his own son?"

I suppose the answer to your question is coming rather late, but if you or anyone else here still has genuine interest in the answer, then feel free to read the spoiler.

Note: If you read this, read all of it. It wont make sense if not read in completion.

To begin, God did not kill his son. Strangely enough, it was Man who killed Jesus.

>>>Well then, whether killed by man or not, why did Jesus have to die to please God?

I will answer the question of "why did Jesus have to die for us?" completely.

All people have sinned against God. God is infinitely holy and righteous, therefore he must punish the sinner, the Law-breaker. If he didn't, then his law would not be law, there is no law without punishment.

Psalm 147:5 "Great is our Lord, and abundant in strength; His understanding is infinite."

Isaiah 6:3 "And one called out to another and said, “Holy, Holy, Holy, is the Lord of hosts, The whole earth is full of His glory.”

Nehemiah 9:32-33 "Now therefore, our God, the great, the mighty, and the awesome God, who dost keep covenant and lovingkindness, Do not let all the hardship seem insignificant before Thee, Which has come upon us, our kings, our princes, our priests, our prophets, our fathers, and on all Thy people, From the days of the kings of Assyria to this day. 33“However, Thou art just in all that has come upon us."

2 Thessalonians 1:6 "For after all it is only just for God to repay with affliction those who afflict you."

The punishment for breaking for breaking the Law is separation from God, death.

Ezekiel 18:4 "Behold, all souls are Mine; the soul of the father as well as the soul of the son is Mine. The soul who sins will die."

Romans 6:23 "For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."

Therefore sinners need a way of escaping the righteous judgement of God. Since Man is stained by sin, Man cannot keep the Law of God. Therefore the only one capable of keeping the Law of God, is God himself.

This is why Jesus is God in flesh, both divine and human. He was made under the Law, and he kept the Law perfectly

Galatians 4:4 "But when the fullness of the time came, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the Law"

Therefore Jesus's sacrifice on our behalf is of infinite value and is sufficient to cleanse all people of their sins.

>>>Well doesn't that seem kinda sadistic, someone wanting to have his son sacrificed?

God did not want to have his son sacrificed. God wanted to save his children. God is infinitely merciful, and he is also infinitely just. Man sinned against God through breaking his Law, therefore the punishment is death. Unless someone could redeem Man, then all men would perish. Jesus became man and voluntarily offered himself as a sacrifice to undo the offense to God, because Jesus was the only one capable or redeeming all of humanity.

>>>Well then God the Father is bad, and God the son is good?

God is three persons. God the Father, God the Son, and the Holy Spirit. They exist in unity. Co-equally, co-eternally and consubstantially. You cannot separate the three and say one is bad, as they are all the same God.

God did not enjoy the site of his son being tortured and executed by man, his son is part of him. God knew it was the only way to save man. Jesus's suffering was God's suffering. They are the same God. God did not sit peacefully in heaven enjoying an act of redemption for mankind. God was on Earth, suffering and dying.

The doctrine of the Trinity is very difficult to understand. This explanation may not be the best, but to avoid making an unnecessarily long post, I'm going to leave the Trinity explanation at this, unless someone wants it explained further.

"Father, why have you forsaken me?"

Matthew 27:46 "Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?", meaning "My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?"

People contended that Jesus was stating a theological fact that the Father had forsaken him on the cross.

On the contrary, Jesus was quoting the Old Testament. Psalm 22 to be more specific. He was not only reciting it, but praying it.

Jesus being fully human (also fully divine) felt the separation of Man from God.

Psalm 22: 2, 22-25

"My God, my God, why have you abandoned me? …

Save me from the lion’s mouth,

my poor life from the horns of wild bulls.

… For God has not spurned or disdained

the misery of this poor wretch,

Did not turn away from me,

but heard me when I cried out."

Jesus was conveying the message of hope by quoting the Psalm. Even though believers may feel abandoned by God when they suffer, God is actually closer than ever. This message meant much to the early Christians (and even to Christians today), as many were tortured and executed for following the teachings of Christ, and therefore may have felt abandoned in their sufferings. Jesus was making it clear that God has not forsaken us.

Nah I wouldn't expect a change. From what I've seen on the internet, most sites tend to have a lot of atheists. :P

We're rising in number! ^_^

I was actually a Christian when I joined this forum.

Agnostic, I guess. I think there could be something out there that created us, but I won't believe anything until I see or experience it. I don't really care though. Religion's not my forte, and I don't care for it. As long as you don't shove your religion and opinions down my throat, I'll keep an open mind about yours. /shrug