Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Everypony's Religion And Why?

Ezynell

What is your religion?  

65 users have voted

1. 1. What is your religion?

• Catholic
    • Orthodox
    • Protestant
    • Lutheran
    • Anglican
    • Methodist
    • Baptists
    • Unitarian/ Universalist
    • Christian (other, or general)
    • Islam
    • Hindu
    • Buddhist
    • Agnostic
    • Atheist
    • Satanist
    • Reform
    • Judaism (other, or general)
    • Equestreism (or don't care)
    • Electic Pagan (added at request)
    • Wicca (added at request)
    • Jehovah's Witness (added at request)
    • Spiritual (added at request)
    • Other (quote the OP and I'll try to add it ASAP)

This is weird because of my post of being Buddhist recently. But I have been researching and debating with myself (as a theist) for a while, and I've just today accepted Islam as my faith. It's not an option for voting, but yeah... I'm Muslim. :D

Correction! It is up there.

No matter what, I will probably go through hell in the army as a freethinker ( a more creative and polite term for Who cares????) I am planning on taking an ROTC class when in college at SIUE.

Why does religion rule the military, at least I don't live in Jesusland. Although some count downstate Illinois a part of the bible belt.

religion rules in the military as a cheap, easy, well established, and typically pre-installed control device to be used for removing questions of morality from the minds of soldiers. my brother lost his longstanding faith in christianity not long after leaving the marines and realizing how much his own faith had been used to manipulate his mindset.

• Brohoof 1

Exactly, that has been the point of religion since it began, manipulation, control, and corrupt. Take one guy on MOCpages, Christianity is the unofficial religion, be a Christian or be trolled to leave. One guy acts like the Bible police, contradicting people and bitching about how they are breaking this commandment and that commandment and so forth.

BTW, this is the most civil conversation about religion that I have EVER read. Seriously. I love you guys!!! :wub:

Agreed. This is proof of our dedication to tolerance and our respect within our community. I've already put my opinions into this thread, but I still occassionally check back on it, because reading everypony elses is very interesting.

Posted Image

I've seen this thread and been tempted to post it on quite a few occasions, but refrained to because it is slightly disrespectful. While I appreciate the humor, and don't mean to try to sound like and admin at all, if you want to be remembered positively I would invest a slightly larger amount of time in reading a post that someone took his spare time to pour his knowlede into. Who knows, you could learn something new.

I'm just gonna leave this here.

If you are not a Christian I ask: What is your ultimate authority? Most 'unbelievers' have never given this question much thought but the answer is often: "My own human reason." My question then is: "By what authority do you use human reason as your ultimate authority? "Um...my human reason?" This logic is entirely circular!

Science. Things that are testable, repeatable, and demonstrable.

However, there are things that we need to trust ourselves with (love, human relationships in general, simple tasks). Believer though you may be, I'm sure you don't ask God about everything you do and that you trust in your own judgement in certain situations. You're a smart guy, why wouldn't you?

If a vegetarian saw another vegetarian eating a steak because the other person found an exemption for themselves to the ideas of vegetarianism, Then that other vegetarian would be in the wrong. It wouldn't change the rules nor the validity of vegetarianism.

Well then he wouldn't be a vegetarian since if you eat meat you're not a vegetarian.

Still not sure what you're trying to say.

The Bible repeatedly states that we are flawed, and are to follow in its guidance if we wish to correct ourselves, since if we trust in our own efforts we won't get anywhere at all. We're going just as fast forwards as backwards. In as much progress as we've made in the past century, there has been just as much contrary effort; all our progress has been circular it seems.

"Progress: "My ear aches."

2000 BC: Eat this root.

100 BC: That root is heathen! Say this prayer.

1700 AD: That prayer makes no sense! Drink this potion.

1900 AD: That potion was junk! Eat this powder.

1940 AD: That powder is unrefined! Take this pill.

1980 AD: That pill has horrible side-effects! Use this antibiotic.

2010 AD: That antibiotic is ineffective! Eat this root."

Not really. Technology and medicine are going forwards.

I'm not sure how the bible constantly telling me I'm a sinner for being happy, and should stop being happy helps me.

I really don't see the point in compromising an excellent standard.

You get nowhere if you think a high goal is so far away that you don't want to bother with taking the first step.

Because it's impossible at the current point.

If it was implemented somehow, somebody could easily exploit everyone.

As a proud Christian, I am dissapointed that Atheists are in the lead. :(

I believe that falls under envy, one of the 7 deadly sins.

To hell with you filthy sinner!

Edited by Legit101
  • Brohoof 1

For the most part I am Catholic. I say for the most part because I generally believe in what the Catholic religion believes in, but I have my own views on certain things. I respect all Religions and the people who do not believe at all. I never have Religion debate with someone or tell them they are wrong. Everyone is entitled to there own opinion and everyone has the right to believe what they want. I have friends of all different religions and we all don't care. We get along and we have fun that's all we care about.

Edited by ~Stormy~

As a proud Christian, I am dissapointed that Atheists are in the lead. :(

I believe that falls under envy, one of the 7 deadly sins.

To hell with you filthy sinner!

actually it's grief, not among the listed sins. "my religion should be in the lead!" would be far closer to envy, but is not what was said.

actually it's grief, not among the listed sins. "my religion should be in the lead!" would be far closer to envy, but is not what was said.

I'm sure he ENVYS for Christian to be in the lead.

I like how the atheists can make insulting jokes at us, but if we do it, they get all pissy.

When did this happen?

We're all friends here, it shouldn't come to that.

• Brohoof 3

God is the perfect one. Humans aren't. Thus it is not the fault of Christianity that some Christians (or in some cases, people who claimed to be Christians) did things that were contrary to the will of God.

Ok.

There are so many things about that statement that are indicative of a flawed perspective of the BIble that I am almost unable to know where to begin.

The Bible does indicate that all people have sinned.

More than that, it tells of how God loves us and wishes for us to realize our flawed nature, so that we can be corrected in that regard. In that love he wants us to be shown the best way for our lives to be lived, in peace, happiness, compassion, generosity and other beneficial natures.

The oversimplification that All Sin=Happiness is the most laughable fallacy I've read all year, with all due respect.

So, he wants me to be happy, in his way.

But I can't be in happy in his way, which is no sin way.

If Christianity was based upon solely the thoughts and efforts of men, why is it the single oldest and most popular religion in the world despite widespread persecution, slander, hate and misunderstanding?

Millions of people who have found joy and meaning in their life over the course of twenty centuries would find issue with being called "Exploited".

I think you're misinterpating me.

I'm saying if people followed the golden rule exactly as it is, and everyone did, exploitation would be easy.

I don't know a person who would sit there and being punched to death, following the golden rule of "treat people, how you want to be treated".

Said the one who refuses God.

"You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."

Matthew 7:5

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/joke

I like how the atheists can make insulting jokes at us, but if we do it, they get all pissy.

Who's insulted anyone here? All I saw was one person hating on all atheists indiscriminately and that's about all there's been done against the harmony and tolerance by far.

I don't have any problems with people of faith, and as long as nobody excuses pedophilia, domestic violence or animal abuse, or intolerance and hate with religion I have no problems with their personal beliefs either.

To eve...

(A lot of text)

"You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."

Matthew 7:5

Careful now, that is getting mighty preachy there, we are discussing here, not converting or crusading :lol:

☺--------------☺

On a more serious note however to everyone participating I would like to remind not to veer too much off topic here, this was not a thread about debating religion, just a poll to see who follows what kind of philosophy. If you wish to discuss religion in finer detail, do so in a specific thread for it so this one will not be endangered by debate.
  • Brohoof 1

To every objection anyone would ever have to Christianity, I have a very simple question to retort all questions.

If all of your objections and critiques to matters of Faith, Reason, The Trinity, The Ressurection, Miracles, Salvation, Prayer, and other Personal or Philosophical questions could be answered to your satisfaction, would you be interested in becoming a Christian?

It'd make it easier, but it wouldn't prove God. That's all I'm asking for. I'm perfectly willing to worship a God, if He would let himself be known unequivocally.

You make the same mistake that a friend of mine does, in assuming Faith and Reason are mutually exclusive, when they are not.

By using the abilities that I have, as well as the experience, knowledge and capability acquired through my life (through the Grace of God) I am able to live and conduct myself (to glorify God).

That I believe in God, does not not mean I put on a blindfold and think that God is going to grab my shoes and plant them on the ground plod after plod to make me walk.

Though I find it suspect that I can remove your quotations and still come out with a workable answer, I won't fault you for this answer. It's very respectable, and I don't know many others of religious faith that would say the same.

Yes, before you say it, it's sad that so many of the people I've met are intolerant Christians, but this is rural Wisconsin we're talking about. So many don't even read the text they claim to believe. That's why I'm enjoying this dialogue so much. :)

God is the perfect one. Humans aren't. Thus it is not the fault of Christianity that some Christians (or in some cases, people who claimed to be Christians) did things that were contrary to the will of God.

Why not make a claim with that omniscience? Why not show which is the proper path? There are so many Christian denominations that interpret the Bible differently than one another. Are these people, pious as they may be, doomed to an eternity in a Hell that they didn't properly understand? This seems very wasteful of someone with the power to save them all from such a fate.

Know that I mean no disrespect, Blue. This is a great conversation.

Edit:

☺--------------☺

On a more serious note however to everyone participating I would like to remind not to veer too much off topic here, this was not a thread about debating religion, just a poll to see who follows what kind of philosophy. If you wish to discuss religion in finer detail, do so in a specific thread for it so this one will not be endangered by debate.

Pencils is right. Should we start a new thread and just bring this over there? I wouldn't want such open dialogue closed because of a rational dispute.

Edited by Crispy