Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Everypony's Religion And Why?

Ezynell

What is your religion?  

65 users have voted

1. 1. What is your religion?

• Catholic
    • Orthodox
    • Protestant
    • Lutheran
    • Anglican
    • Methodist
    • Baptists
    • Unitarian/ Universalist
    • Christian (other, or general)
    • Islam
    • Hindu
    • Buddhist
    • Agnostic
    • Atheist
    • Satanist
    • Reform
    • Judaism (other, or general)
    • Equestreism (or don't care)
    • Electic Pagan (added at request)
    • Wicca (added at request)
    • Jehovah's Witness (added at request)
    • Spiritual (added at request)
    • Other (quote the OP and I'll try to add it ASAP)

in my experience the most fervent atheists have almost exclusively been raised catholic, very few exceptions. just entertaining to me that the catholic church has (in my experience) been the world's leading supplier of atheists.

in my experience the most fervent atheists have almost exclusively been raised catholic, very few exceptions. just entertaining to me that the catholic church has (in my experience) been the world's leading supplier of atheists.

I think it is not so much the atheism that it produces but the borderline militant attitude towards spreading philosophy in general. People raised in such pushy environment become more easily extreme anything as they are accustomed to such methods of discussion and discourse. It is after all the one branch of Christianity that picked up arms and went to crusade all over the world :lol:

(edited)

This guys logic.

I am athiest by choice. I grew up with a Unitarian Universalist dad and a Budhist mom, and got very interested in reaserching religion. This is the decision I finally came to.

Edited by Vanilla Ice

haha, very true, however i would say the protestant movement to america and their forced conversion/genocide of the natives i think does kill out the "only sect" part...

Well that is true but it was done more with political motivations and claims to land rather than genuine religious interest, a case of cause being corrupted by greed.

I don't think they took of the like/dislike bar on that video for no reason.

It also does not allow comments, so it censors out all dissent and debate. Not very intellectually honest or genuine attitude there.

For me, it's not that science directly proves that there is no Christian God. It's that all past religions, and even many aspects of Christianity have been proven to be false. All of those old Gods that we all so simply disregard as myths now were once as serious of a religion to the people as Christianity is to you all today. Yet, nowadays science has explained what they all thought was the doing of those Gods.

Posted Image

It also does not allow comments, so it censors out all dissent and debate. Not very intellectually honest or genuine attitude there.

That's what I was implying. I see some of TheoreticalBullShit's videos have been posted on here. He has a like bar, comments, and voting. Yet in a primarily Christian country he manages to get the acceptance and support of the vast majority of the viewers in videos talking about Atheism.

• Brohoof 1

That or maybe the Youtube user doesn't want to have Youtube debates flooding his comments section.

Dunno why you wouldn't.

More views.

Edited by Legit101

I have a video that has over a million views and I couldn't care less about it.

What is fame but an empty bubble, what is gold but a translucent trouble.

Really? What would this video be? Sereously, I've never met somebody with a video that popular.

I am athiest by choice. I grew up with a Unitarian Universalist dad and a Budhist mom, and got very interested in reaserching religion. This is the decision I finally came to.

very well, but my comment was specifically in regards to the fervent atheists who give their best effort to involve themselves in discussions such as this and try to convert others to their way. personally i stand on the "spiritual but unattached to any particular religion" side, i think that there is a higher power, and that there is something i'm supposed to eventually live for, as i've survived unscathed too many happenings that should have killed, or at least maimed, me horribly (2 motorcycle accidents and countless close calls) to think that there is nothing keeping me protected from these things would be pretty foolish of me i think.
  • Brohoof 1

That or maybe the Youtube user doesn't want to have Youtube debates flooding his comments section.

Unless you're in the inclination that Youtube Comments section is an effective, reasonable and well-mannered forum system which users frequently comport themselves in an honest manner.

And I might add that it is a very shallow thing indeed to be judging the merit of a 50 minute discourse by whether or not it has ratings enabled. Since there have been four replies in the past 2 minutes, I somehow doubt any of you listened to it thusfar.

I did not judge the video's merits, I only disapprove the attitude of the uploader, which has nothing to do with the video.

However the video discusses a topic I have no interest to pursue, nor do I intend to debate with you about this issue as it would be like trying to headbutt my way into a bomb shelter built out of personal devotion. And I do not undertake futile tasks as I have better use of my time :)

I accept that you are very confident in your world view and find solace from it, also you likely are happier the way you are so it is all fine by me, and I don't mind as long as you allow me the same right about my own approach which provides me happiness and great joy in experiencing reality in scientific method. :P Your faith most certainly does not need my support to function so my conscience is clear ;)

NOTICE: Should a mod want us to move this to PM's, please don't close this thread. Blue and I would be happy to oblige, if this is a bother to anypony.

Now then.

At 2:52 in the video, was that not essentially Karl Marx's idea? Religion isn't immune to the call of being a placebo.

He goes on to explain this. I'm pausing and going for "flow of thought" reactions on this one, bear with me.

7:13 "What kind of person would take worship?" Name a dictator. Hell, name any of the other gods that have existed throughout human's ability to think there are gods.

8:04 Just because that history hasn't stood the test of time/belief until now doesn't change it's credibility. Many mortal men and half gods existed in Greek and Roman theology. Their names were sung in song and chronicled for the ages, but none believe now. It's just as believable as what the Bible puts forth, it's just not popular now.

8:53 Sounds like megalomania to me.

You should PM me the rest of that speech. It's interesting.

enough of this for me tonight, gonna grab another cold one and watch some ponies before i go to bed and hope to catch the new episode on the bigger screen in the living room tomorrow.

hope to see more good discussion tomorrow night, i like a civil conversation like this.

• Brohoof 1

Here's a serious philosophical question for believers. Do you believe in what you do because you agree with the belief system, or do you simply believe because it was a geographical decision?

The reason I'm asking is because there are many religious debaters out there defending until the very end, even going as far as claiming people are close minded and wrong and that they are right and always free thinking. But if you truly did, I would assume you made a choice based having all religions presented and not upbringing.

• Brohoof 2

I picked Buddhism, but I'm really a Taoist.

Do you believe in what you do because you agree with the belief system, or do you simply believe because it was a geographical decision?

My whole family are Lutherans, so it's definitely a choice. I used to consider myself a Buddhist, but I'm simply too hedonistic to truly let go of all desire. Instead I'm still basically following the Middle Way, but with more emphasis on balance and moderation, rather than nonduality.
  • Brohoof 1

Here's a serious philosophical question for believers. Do you believe in what you do because you agree with the belief system, or do you simply believe because it was a geographical decision? The reason I'm asking is because there are many religious debaters out there defending until the very end, even going as far as claiming people are close minded and wrong and that they are right and always free thinking. But if you truly did, I would assume you made a choice based having all religions presented and not upbringing.

I'm a Catholic by choice, though I fervently disagree with some of the "doctrine" I generally fall into the categories which a Catholic would. I believe in the Creed and whatnot. But one thing I feel anyone should be able to disagree with is political stances the Church takes. Plus I doubt God has a IM account with the pope dictating exactly what he wants. Humans are flawed from the start so errors are bound to occur. But to only believe what can be proved by science brings one to the same point where Twi was in the Twitchy Pinkie episode. I see no reason why science cannot help religion. I beleive in evolution and such and even I think the extreme literalists are a bit extreme. Just my 2 cents.