Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Everypony's Religion And Why?

Ezynell

What is your religion?  

65 users have voted

1. 1. What is your religion?

• Catholic
    • Orthodox
    • Protestant
    • Lutheran
    • Anglican
    • Methodist
    • Baptists
    • Unitarian/ Universalist
    • Christian (other, or general)
    • Islam
    • Hindu
    • Buddhist
    • Agnostic
    • Atheist
    • Satanist
    • Reform
    • Judaism (other, or general)
    • Equestreism (or don't care)
    • Electic Pagan (added at request)
    • Wicca (added at request)
    • Jehovah's Witness (added at request)
    • Spiritual (added at request)
    • Other (quote the OP and I'll try to add it ASAP)

also to further your question - every being that experiences adds to the collective understanding of how "god" views reality - god does not shape us, we shape god.

But in this case it is a bit like "why does god think so limitedly?" - god does not - it is the understanding of why god thinks in relation to what YOU think that is the limiting factor. In this way we limit our own understanding of the all. As that limitation goes away one understands why source thinks the way it does, and sees how the loving comes through. Spirituality is not simple, mostly in that everything you learn in life helps to cloud that connection.

I use those examples because those on this site would most understand them. They are not how I came to the conclusion of it - I was simply shown the truth in my mind, and as I try to downstep it so that everyone can equally understand what can be complicated thought processes, I seek the most common ground of an example. A tree works for older people,. videogames for people around my age, and OCs for people on this site.

and I applaud you for having the maturity to be able to agree to disagree and to respect my faith as my own, and not to see it as necessarily wrong. I look at faiths like multiplication versus addition - we might both believe that 2 and 2 makes 4 - but I might believe that 2 x 2 = 4 and you might believe that 2 + 2 = 4 - the answers are both the same, simply how one approaches it varies.. and as long as, regardless of what we believe, we both live our lives in similar ways, with similar positive values, then the goal of life is still fulfilled, and all are happy ;)

I see me as "I AM Source, roleplaying as shawn" - when shawn is no longer adequate, I will become someone else-  as a soul I am eternal, I can never ever not exist, but I can change what form I take and alter what lessons I learn, and so for me I have the infinite potential to learn and experience new things, and thus that is the loving aspect of source for me, as it honours my soul over my character, for characters can in themselves be limiting, but the infinite potential of the soul is always there, and is always what is consistent and focused on :)

Edited by Chronamut
  • Brohoof 1

I picked Equestrism over Atheism because it also says 'don't care'. I don't believe in any sort of higher power because I'm the type of person who believes what they see and does not base things on faith. I don't have anything against people who do, I just don't feel the same. However I wouldn't call myself an atheist because I don't believe in religion all together so I don't label myself according to it. If someone asks if I believe in a higher power I tell them exactly that, I don't but I don't care if others do, it's their choice and opinion

@@Steel Accord,

What of being both Christian and Buddhist? From what I have heard and read, it is possible to be both though I am not sure of the steps that need to be taken. I have a great amount of respect for Buddhism and actually agree with much of it as far as I know/understand.

@@Chronamut,

So to be clear, you don't believe it is possible to be both Christian and Buddhist, at least if you wish to be true to both or try to follow both paths?

Edited by EquestrianScholar
  • Brohoof 3

@@Steel Accord,

What of being both Christian and Buddhist? From what I have heard and read, it is possible to be both though I am not sure of the steps that need to be taken. I have a great amount of respect for Buddhism and actually agree with much of it as far as I know/understand.

@@Chronamut,

So to be clear, you don't believe it is possible to be both Christian and Buddhist, at least if you wish to be true to both or try to follow both paths?

I am not sure - to be perfectly honest before coming here I never encountered anyone who was both. I believe the spiritual aspect can enhance a religious belief to be a bit more expansive, and belief in god is good, but one has to realize they don't have to be RELIGIOUS to believe in something existing out there. Buddhists don't have to by default believe there is no god.

The biggest difference between religion and spirituality is that religion tends to focus hat there is a god up there, somewhere, telling you you have to do this this and that and to be happy you should follow these precepts.

Spirituality tells you there is a voice inside you - a divinity within, that you are a part of, or that you are, that guides you to do what IT feels is right, and what is ultimately in your best interest, and if you follow it, all will be well.

The difference to me is that with religion, teachings can become twisted or misinterpreted over time, so what you believe is right based on say a book, might actually be wrong - like owning slaves, saying being gay is immoral, etc.

Whilst listening to your inner guidance may tell you that not treating everyone with love is what is wrong, and thus even if a book tells you they are wrong, you don't have to listen to it.

I believe people are evolving past pure religious dogma and putting the spirituality back in religion. I think perhaps religion has the potentiality to be re-written back into a spiritual faith, as I believe that is what it originally was, and teach that god is within, and you are a part of that, not that god created you as a lesser being and you can never hope to be anything but that.

But that is my interpretation.

it is like saying I make supper every night, so I must be a chef. If you don't believe in all the principles of a religion, and only take a few here and there, then you are as much a christian as you are a chef in this instance.

I USED to be a christian, I used to believe everything they did, but I disagreed with a lot of it and so I went out searching for answers, and once I found them, I no longer became christian and became spiritual. I still had a belief in god, but that belief was more fleshed out with new knowledge.

I believe a lot of people are more spiritual and agnostic, while taking bits and pieces from other religions to form a belief that they like.

Edited by Chronamut

Well it's just a matter of practice and belief. I still go to Mass and still consider Jesus my savior but that doesn't mean what the Buddha taught was wrong and I can't follow the his teachings as well.

What do you know thus far and what are you having trouble with? 

(By the way, Chronamut is wrong in how he defines religion and Christianity in particular. Spirituality never left the faith, only those who invited hate into their hearts.)

Edited by Steel Accord

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You should probably add Zoroastrianism,my beliefs in mortality come from Zoroastrian,instead of good and evil there is the the truth and lies,its the first monotheistic religion and some of the good said in the Zoroastrian's holy passages are also in the bible and Quran like the golden rule,you should be nice for the sake of being nice not because you might get rewards in the future,etc. 

Edited by CookieK
  • Brohoof 3

You should probably add Zoroastrianism,my beliefs in mortality come from Zoroastrian,instead of good and evil there is the the truth and lies,its the first monotheistic religion and some of the good said in the Zoroastrian's holy passages are also in the bible and Quran like the golden rule,you should be nice for the sake of being nice not because you might get rewards in the future,etc. 

I am curious if you consider yourself a Zoroastrian, or if you just appreciate some of its teachings. If you are, that would make you quite a rarity, indeed! As I'm sure you know, there are not a lot of Zoroastrians left today (fewer than 200,000, probably), but it's a religion that's impacted the world immensely, which is a really interesting dichotomy!

One of my favorite passages was Yasna 60:5 - "May Sraosha (Obedience) conquer disobedience within this house, and may peace triumph over discord here, and generous giving over avarice, reverence over contempt, speech with truthful words over lying utterance. May the Righteous Order gain the victory over the Demon of the Lie."

I also find it really absolutely fascinating that Zoroastrians and Jews seemed to have a strong relationship, notably beginning after Cyrus the Great (possibly a Zoroastrian) freed the Jews from Babylonian captivity. Zoroastrian Magi played a significant role in the story of Jesus' birth. Followers are, in my opinion, referenced in the Qur'án as People of the Book. And lastly, the prophet Bahá'u'lláh wrote a Tablet to the Zoroastrians. It's just peculiar that the faith is so evident in other religions, yet very few know it even exits!

Anyway, I'm really getting overexcited. ...Like when Fluttershy first met "A BABY DRAGON!!!"  :squee: lol

• Brohoof 3

Anyway, I'm really getting overexcited. ...Like when Fluttershy first met "A BABY DRAGON!!!"   lol

Wow, you want to talk about ancient throwbacks! Doesn't that feel like centuries ago?

I agree with all of the above as well, it's an interesting and massively impactful faith. 

• Brohoof 1

I'm an atheistic wiccan. Heavy emphasis on atheistic. What little wiccan spirituality/practices I have come frome my parents, and it's mostly about protecting people and honoring nature. Organized religion just isn't my thing at all; their doctrines are often much too quick to condemn innocents and contradict themselves.

• Brohoof 1

You should add Taoism. It's significantly followed in East Asia, though it's argued by some whether it's simply a philosophy or an actual religion, since it blends easily with Buddhism (frequently practiced in those countries).

It's a bizarre religion, since it doesn't believe in a personal god (believing that the "Tao", which is the existence of the universe, is formless in nature and therefore can not be described) and focuses on the simplicity of life. Understanding oneself is essential to understanding a bit about the universe. It has a siginifcant amount of followers in Taiwan, with some in Japan and Korea. Taoism unfortunately fell from interest in China in recent decades, but it is considered a recognized religion there.

• Brohoof 3

I am curious if you consider yourself a Zoroastrian, or if you just appreciate some of its teachings. If you are, that would make you quite a rarity, indeed! As I'm sure you know, there are not a lot of Zoroastrians left today (fewer than 200,000, probably), but it's a religion that's impacted the world immensely, which is a really interesting dichotomy!

One of my favorite passages was Yasna 60:5 - "May Sraosha (Obedience) conquer disobedience within this house, and may peace triumph over discord here, and generous giving over avarice, reverence over contempt, speech with truthful words over lying utterance. May the Righteous Order gain the victory over the Demon of the Lie."

I also find it really absolutely fascinating that Zoroastrians and Jews seemed to have a strong relationship, notably beginning after Cyrus the Great (possibly a Zoroastrian) freed the Jews from Babylonian captivity. Zoroastrian Magi played a significant role in the story of Jesus' birth. Followers are, in my opinion, referenced in the Qur'án as People of the Book. And lastly, the prophet Bahá'u'lláh wrote a Tablet to the Zoroastrians. It's just peculiar that the faith is so evident in other religions, yet very few know it even exits!

Anyway, I'm really getting overexcited. ...Like when Fluttershy first met "A BABY DRAGON!!!"  :squee: lol

Well me and my dad are Zoroastrian but he's a Zoroastrian Deist and I'm a regular Pantheist  Zoroastrian but I also believe in some bits of paganism and Buddhism as well just not the god/gods parts of those religions just the basic everyday teachings. I don't how to explain it really because I'm only book smart I'm pretty dumb when it comes to explaining things especially myself.  I just said electic pagan because it was the closet to what I believed on there. Do you know Freddy Mercury was Zoroastrian? That's pretty nifty  :squee:  don't you think?

• Brohoof 2

I'm a regular Pantheist  Zoroastrian but I also believe in some bits of paganism and Buddhism as well just not the god/gods parts of those religions just the basic everyday teachings.

That's called syncretism and I can actually relate as a Christian-Buddhist. 

I do have to say Zorastrian and Buddhist is an interesting combo.

You should add Taoism. It's significantly followed in East Asia, though it's argued by some whether it's simply a philosophy or an actual religion, since it blends easily with Buddhism (frequently practiced in those countries).

True but that's just the nature of the two faiths as very syncretic ones. There are taoist priests who would very much consider what they do a religion, I mean they dedicate their lives to the Tao/Way after all. Same with Buddhist monks. There are some who follow a mix of the two and there are purists who consider them separate.

Actually yeah though, it does deserve to be a selectable option all on it's own.

I'm a Christian, pretty much because I was born and raised in a Christian household. Not sure if I'll ever convert, though, and if I do convert, I could end up becoming irreligious. 

There's a thread for us if you ever should wish to share misgivings or you need help. I know I've been helped when in some dark places thanks to my fellow bronies.

https://mlpforums.com/topic/44444-christian-bronies-meet-greet-and-mingle/

Edited by Steel Accord

Whaaaaat....

I'm a Protestant Christian... How can there be two options for one or the other???

I really don't think the OP has a solid enough grasp on religion to grasp what he/she is really asking...

I have to be forced to select Christian in the polls...

BUT I AM A PROTESTANT Christian.

Arrghhhh...

~ Miles

• Brohoof 3

Whaaaaat....

I'm a Protestant Christian... How can there be two options for one or the other???

I really don't think the OP has a solid enough grasp on religion to grasp what he/she is really asking...

I have to be forced to select Christian in the polls...

BUT I AM A PROTESTANT Christian.

Arrghhhh...

~ Miles

Agreed, but in their defense it could be referring to non-denominational Christianity. Yes it would be nice if that was specified but the OP has otherwise actually been fairly good on updating the options when it was made clear to them it did not include a voter's particular faith.

That's called syncretism and I can actually relate as a Christian-Buddhist.    I do have to say Zorastrian and Buddhist is an interesting combo.
I didn't know that is what it was called. Well Zoroastrianism is a pantheist religion,or simple terms the god of Zoroastrianism is the universe itself  not a physical being like Christianity,Islam,Judaism,etc. 

I didn't know that is what it was called. Well Zoroastrianism is a pantheist religion,or simple terms the god of Zoroastrianism is the universe itself  not a physical being like Christianity,Islam,Judaism,etc. 

Not sure what version of those religions you are talking about. I was always taught that God was also the Universe, or could be. God has also been described as all of us, and as simple "love."

Nothing concrete about God's actual being is hard and fast doctrine in Christianity because the idea is "we don't know God's nature. It would be arrogant to presume we as limited humans could claim to know God's nature." Although theological theories are common.

Hell in Islam, giving God ANY kind of description that would imply physical being is against the faith.

Welp, I've finally found the mysterious debate forum. Only took me a month, pretty quick. Don't judge me. 

While I don't have a solid religious identity, I would consider myself Agnostic. I live in a household with Christian parents (non-practising) but I've kind of found my own way.

• Brohoof 1

Anglican Christian,

I was born into it and even though I don't go to church much now (Once every 2-3 weeks) but I try my best to help out at any church events.

• Brohoof 3

I'm a regular Pantheist  Zoroastrian but I also believe in some bits of paganism and Buddhism as well...

Very interesting. So, assuming you have a community, what do you think is the majority view? Because I've heard some describe it as pantheistic, some describe it as dualistic, and some describe it as monotheistic.

I just said eclectic pagan because it was the closet to what I believed on there.

No! You must join us; the "Others"! ;)

Do you know Freddy Mercury was Zoroastrian? That's pretty nifty  :squee:  don't you think?

I did hear that once. Super nifty!

I'm Agnostic Atheistic mainly for the freedom and because I think science is more believable. Also I don't like the messages some religions send. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against religion, I'm just not religious.

i am agnostic because personally i realized that am a person that looks the ultimate truth of the universe and afterlife but i will not get that truth from some book written 2000 years no matter how holy and powerful they claim, i think that i can writte a book and say "this book has the absolute truth" and it will have the same range as the bible or the quran why? because i think that the followers gave the power of religion not God herself, i born as a catholic then on my own will i became cristian, then lutheran and now am agnostic because i realized that religion is very dangerous, i seen people suicide or kill in the name of god and that scares me, of course i will not say all people are like that but there's a number enough of dead people to think "and this "god" didn't do anything for them?" you may say that he gives them a paradise but at which cost? that's why i choose to find the truth by myself and not follow any standards of any book

...and because I think science is more believable.

Please don't take this as a personal attack, but I'm really tired of hearing this. To say that one must choose religion or science is a false dichotomy. I believe in both. Many do. Sure, there are religious people that reject parts of science in favor of very specific interpretations of their religious texts, but I honestly think they have to do a lot more mental gymnastics than those who simply accept what we've learned from the scientific method (and it's really not in conflict with the religious literature I can think of).

• Brohoof 3