Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Everypony's Religion And Why?

Ezynell

What is your religion?  

65 users have voted

1. 1. What is your religion?

• Catholic
    • Orthodox
    • Protestant
    • Lutheran
    • Anglican
    • Methodist
    • Baptists
    • Unitarian/ Universalist
    • Christian (other, or general)
    • Islam
    • Hindu
    • Buddhist
    • Agnostic
    • Atheist
    • Satanist
    • Reform
    • Judaism (other, or general)
    • Equestreism (or don't care)
    • Electic Pagan (added at request)
    • Wicca (added at request)
    • Jehovah's Witness (added at request)
    • Spiritual (added at request)
    • Other (quote the OP and I'll try to add it ASAP)

14 minutes ago, Recherche said:

Long story short, it's the belief that there is a higher power of some kind directly related to the universe as a whole, but said being does not directly intervene in what happens (at least nothing we can tell, anyways). I;E, the, "God," of deism has very little in common with those of Abrahamic religions, due to the fact that it does not perform miracles, answer prayers, or what-have-you. Deism does not have a religious text like those of the Abrahamic religions either, largely due to the fact that Deism is a lot more of a belief than a religion.

That's the best I can explain it, anyways. Hopefully that helps! :icwudt:

google definition for Deism: belief in the existence of a supreme being, specifically of a creator who does not intervene in the universe. Or in other words, They believe if a God exists, it's NOT through supernatural means that He interferes with us. Is that a nice similar explanation?

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, We. said:

google definition for Deism: belief in the existence of a supreme being, specifically of a creator who does not intervene in the universe. Or in other words, They believe if a God exists, it's NOT through supernatural means that He interferes with us. Is that a nice similar explanation?

That's another pretty concise definition, yes! :)

15 minutes ago, Recherche said:

Long story short, it's the belief that there is a higher power of some kind directly related to the universe as a whole, but said being does not directly intervene in what happens (at least nothing we can tell, anyways). I;E, the, "God," of deism has very little in common with those of Abrahamic religions, due to the fact that it does not perform miracles, answer prayers, or what-have-you. Deism does not have a religious text like those of the Abrahamic religions either, largely due to the fact that Deism is a lot more of a belief than a religion.

That's the best I can explain it, anyways. Hopefully that helps! :icwudt:

Interesting. Intervening, still responsible for their part in the Universe, yet never interacting with humans directly, being not as high a priority. Interesting... See this is why I like these conversations, I can see new viewpoints, and for a guy who studies philosophy, that is a vitality, I find these new ideas very interesting.

I never agreed with Abrahamic philosophy anyways, that's why I practice a neopagan religion

2 minutes ago, We. said:

Also interesting

My belief system is...different than most peoples. Its something I came up with myself that's more or less a mixture of several different concepts from varying faiths and religions fused with a few factual and theoretical scientific principles. I believe in something akin to what monotheists would likely see as "God", but I also believe in things like "gods" as well as demons, angles, and life after death, and that we are not alone in the universe - heck, I even believe in magic...but here's the caveat, I look at all of this from a scientific point of view. It has a lot to do with concepts like "string theory" and "multi world theory", which would take WAY to much time to get into here, but to sum up some of it, gods, demons, spirits, and yes even magic aren't just thing that do stuff without adhering to any of the laws of physics, but rather operate on such laws that we simply have yet to completely understand yet, or to put it simply: magic is science that we just haven't figured out yet. Know that seems weird, and no I'm not delusional, or on something, the way I came to these conclusions would take to long to go into here, but trust me I have my reasons.          

• Brohoof 2

I don't believe in a God that automatically and irredeemablely sends homosexuals to Hell. That's the interpretation of Him that I won't agree with.

God is supposed to be the God of Love and Peace who loves His Children no matter who They love.

• Brohoof 3

3 minutes ago, CHA0SXIII said:

My belief system is...different than most peoples. Its something I came up with myself that's more or less a mixture of several different concepts from varying faiths and religions fused with a few factual and theoretical scientific principles. I believe in something akin to what monotheists would likely see as "God", but I also believe in things like "gods" as well as demons, angles, and life after death, and that we are not alone in the universe - heck, I even believe in magic...but here's the caveat, I look at all of this from a scientific point of view. It has a lot to do with concepts like "string theory" and "multi world theory", which would take WAY to much time to get into here, but to sum up some of it, gods, demons, spirits, and yes even magic aren't just thing that do stuff without adhering to any of the laws of physics, but rather operate on such laws that we simply have yet to completely understand yet, or to put it simply: magic is science that we just haven't figured out yet. Know that seems weird, and no I'm not delusional, or on something, the way I came to these conclusions would take to long to go into here, but trust me I have my reasons.          

No I totally get it, I'm a witch, so I totally see where you're coming from. In a past life I realized that many social problems can be solved by learning to see things from a different perspective, so I've been a pretty understanding person since I rembered/re-learned/re-lived that. I think coming up with your own thoughts and ideas is quite the wise approach, and everything you're saying seems to make sense for now, so I don't think this is much delusional. It's simply a sensible approach, logically.

7 minutes ago, We. said:

I don't believe in a God that automatically and irredeemablely sends homosexuals to Hell. That's the interpretation of Him that I won't agree with.

God is supposed to be the God of Love and Peace who loves His Children no matter who They love.

Indeed, that's one of the reasons why I was athiest for awhile, and that was before I was even interested in guys.

I'm pretty sure we have like 3 other similar topics.

Anyways, I am non-religious, don't believe in god, don't see a reason to. Atheist.

2 minutes ago, Celli said:

I'm pretty sure we have like 3 other similar topics.

Anyways, I am non-religious, don't believe in god, don't see a reason to. Atheist.

I never understood this. I was Athiest myself at one point but only because I studied everything without any mainstream religion that called to me. But just not seeing a reason to.... I'm not judging this, I try to see everything from multiple viewpoints, yet I never understood the logic, "It doesn't matter." Do explain, if you don't mind that is.

17 minutes ago, We. said:

Back to this, I never thought anyone should "Burn in eternal flame" that's just aweful. Even serial killers shouldn't be succumbed to a fate such as that, and I always thought that the Christian God was immature in this sense, as well as in a few other instances. Tho, I dont mean to judge. Just my observation

7 minutes ago, CrystalBloodMoon said:

I never understood this. I was Athiest myself at one point but only because I studied everything without any mainstream religion that called to me. But just not seeing a reason to.... I'm not judging this, I try to see everything from multiple viewpoints, yet I never understood the logic, "It doesn't matter." Do explain, if you don't mind that is.

I have never seen solid proof any god exists, and I don't agree with the general concept of faith, i.e., believing in something you cannot see. Also I don't like religion because it's very restrictive and I don't like being told I'm doing something immoral. 

• Brohoof 1

Just now, CrystalBloodMoon said:

No I totally get it, I'm a witch, so I totally see where you're coming from. In a past life I realized that many social problems can be solved by learning to see things from a different perspective, so I've been a pretty understanding person since I rembered/re-learned/re-lived that. I think coming up with your own thoughts and ideas is quite the wise approach, and everything you're saying seems to make sense for now, so I don't think this is much delusional. It's simply a sensible approach, logically.

Indeed, that's one of the reasons why I was athiest for awhile, and that was before I was even interested in guys.

You know, its funny. When I was a teen I was so closed-minded that I believed in NOTHING. But its like the universe or some greater force within it was like "Oh, how cute, we have a skeptic what fun!:umad:" and everything I was so convinced was total bs politely came up behind me and bit me in the plot! Didn't believe in ghosts - saw several, didn't believe in demons - had run-ins with a few and even have a couple of scars to show for it, didn't believe in aliens - flip'n UFO nearly takes out my chimney, dead serious had a few witnesses including my Mother, though she's gone now. Now I try to live by the creed "trust but verify" and try to keep my mind open, but not so much my brains fall out, and to never act like just because I don't think that something is real that that means it can't be real, cause I've learned the hard way, that if the universe try's to prove or disprove something to me it don't care to much about doing it none too gently!   

• Brohoof 3

18 minutes ago, Celli said:

I have never seen solid proof any god exists, and I don't agree with the general concept of faith, i.e., believing in something you cannot see. Also I don't like religion because it's very restrictive and I don't like being told I'm doing something immoral. 

Oh straight up, but that's not all religion, that last part. I like open religions. But I guess that makes sense. I've seen quite a bit, but I do understand the idea of wanting solid evidence. Here's a fact I do know think – normally, humans only see 1% of the light spectrum. We see nothing. Eyes aren't really a valid source by that logic. But, I could always be wrong

18 minutes ago, CHA0SXIII said:

You know, its funny. When I was a teen I was so closed-minded that I believed in NOTHING. But its like the universe or some greater force within it was like "Oh, how cute, we have a skeptic what fun!:umad:" and everything I was so convinced was total bs politely came up behind me and bit me in the plot! Didn't believe in ghosts - saw several, didn't believe in demons - had run-ins with a few and even have a couple of scars to show for it, didn't believe in aliens - flip'n UFO nearly takes out my chimney, dead serious had a few witnesses including my Mother, though she's gone now. Now I try to live by the creed "trust but verify" and try to keep my mind open, but not so much my brains fall out, and to never act like just because I don't think that something is real that that means it can't be real, cause I've learned the hard way, that if the universe try's to prove or disprove something to me it don't care to much about doing it none too gently!   

WHERE THE BUCK DO YOU LIVE!

Gods, I can't honestly believe all that happened to the same guy. Dæmon hate humans and try to stay away, you'd think an aliens would be more careful, but ghosts, I see frequently, esp. on the Hallows, which one would expect. Srsly, where do you live, somewhere in Nevada?

Edited by CrystalBloodMoon

10 minutes ago, Celli said:

Also I don't like religion because it's very restrictive and I don't like being told I'm doing something immoral. 

My religion isn't restrictive, There isn't anythings in the prayers nor the 7 commandments, I personally believe that eating equine meat is immoral but that's obvious reasons, The only thing that's considered immoral is being cruel or unkind, one of the commandments is "Don't do anything that you think would go against Celestia's teachings" but thats just to your own judgement.

• Brohoof 1

10 minutes ago, CrystalBloodMoon said:

Oh straight up, but that's not all religion, that last part. I like open religions. But I guess that makes sense. I've seen quite a bit, but I do understand the idea of wanting solid evidence. Here's a fact I do know think – normally, humans only see 1% of the light spectrum. We see nothing. Eyes aren't really a valid source by that logic. But, I could always be wrong

WHERE THE BUCK DO YOU LIVE!

Gods, I can't honestly believe all that happened to the same guy. Dæmon hate humans and try to stay away, you'd think an aliens would be more careful, but ghosts, I see frequently, esp. on the Hallows, which one would expect. Srsly, where do you live, somewhere in Nevada?

There's a reason I say I'm from "the far side of Ohio" part of it is I don't want a bunch of people to know the name of my town for various reasons, and the other is that it is rather appropriate considering the far side comics. I will say though, its funny you bring up Nevada cause just like the specific place there that your probably thinking, of we an air force base and an air force museum not to far from town, can't remember if its still a thing though.:huh: Anyway thing seem to have calmed down over here in recent years, but I'm still don't completely trust it. I don't blame you if you don't believe me, sometimes I still have a hard time believing it, but these are my experiences, no lying, no trolling.     

• Brohoof 1

5 minutes ago, CHA0SXIII said:

There's a reason I say I'm from "the far side of Ohio" part of it is I don't want a bunch of people to know the name of my town for various reasons, and the other is that it is rather appropriate considering the far side comics. I will say though, its funny you bring up Nevada cause just like the specific place there that your probably thinking, of we an air force base and an air force museum not to far from town, can't remember if its still a thing though.:huh: Anyway thing seem to have calmed down over here in recent years, but I'm still don't completely trust it. I don't blame you if you don't believe me, sometimes I still have a hard time believing it, but these are my experiences, no lying, no trolling.     

Dude, I'm in Ohio. Crazy

Now I’m not currently religious but I’ve always thought of joining a religion but I probably won’t, I thought of becoming a pastafarian once, just for fun, I mean who doesn’t wanna pray to a flying spaghetti and meatball monster and say ramen instead of amen! But I think I’m just happy without a religion also I would look crazy if I went outside with a kitchen strainer on my head so I’ll pass.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Quadropus said:

Now I’m not currently religious but I’ve always thought of joining a religion but I probably won’t, I thought of becoming a pastafarian once, just for fun, I mean who doesn’t wanna pray to a flying spaghetti and meatball monster and say ramen instead of amen! But I think I’m just happy without a religion also I would look crazy if I went outside with a kitchen strainer on my head so I’ll pass.

But kitchen strainer on your head! :(

I am an atheist, but sometimes I think about maybe beginning to practice a religion that doesn't exist anymore, or is dying out. Start publicly worshiping the ancient Greco-Roman Gods, or the Norse Pantheon, or the Egyptian Gods. Maybe build a small Aztec temple. There's a Christian denomination known as the Shakers, part of their belief system includes complete celibacy by all members, meaning they can only increase their flock by conversion. There are only two of them left. I just feel like, man, that sucks, you know? Maybe I should restart one of these religions, I kind of feel bad that they're not taken seriously anymore. We call the ancient Greek gods and goddesses "mythology". The only difference between them and modern-day religions is that there are still people practicing the modern-day ones. There is the same amount of evidence available to support the existence of Zeus or Thor or Anubis or Quetzalcoatl as there is for "God". I say it's long past time some of these ancient religions got a revival. Maybe 2000 years from now there will be a completely different set of religions dominating the globe and bored kids in history class will learn about ancient Christian/Islamic/Jewish/Hindu mythology. Who knows?! But at least they'll know that even we today still make fun of the Scientologists. 

• Brohoof 1

I have had a rather agnostic view of the universe. Otherwise it is Norse Paganism like my ancestors of old used to practice. 

• Brohoof 1

I was raised as a Catholic, but I'm not really that religious anymore. I guess it'd be more accurate to say that I'm agnostic.

I'm not religious my self as in I don't adhere to any text or anything. I believe theres something out there, I don't know what. I believe in some form of afterlife, don't know what.

• Brohoof 2