Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Save Derpy Hooves  

45 users have voted

1. 1. Derpy Hooves: Hate or like?

• Against
    • Destroy the Misunderstanding

(edited)

Is it just me... or does it feel like the only true bronies that folow the "love and tolerate" code are the ones here, cuz everywhere else on the internet, I see "bronies" acting like they are ay war with Hasbro :huh:

They drew first blood, not us.

Anyway, did any of you watch the video? Nobody's at war with anybody. But I am willing to bet money that most of those initial complaints against Derpy were from trolls that wanted to rile up the fanbase, and not from real parents.

i want to like this post more than once since there isn't a "fricken awesome!" button...

If my post up there was used as the basis of an episode of FiM, I guarantee nobody would ever complain about Derpy again. And you know what? It would be about as friendship-themed as episodes get.

Edited by SBaby

(edited)

Quoted for irony. ^_^

You know I was joking with that first line, right? Nobody is going to war with anybody. Nobody is going to hack anybody, and nobody is going to attack anybody. We're just venting our frustration at this.

As I said before, isn't it more ironic that parents TROLLS (I don't believe for a second that any of them were real parents) would complain that aspects of the episode 'The Last Roundup' did not stay true to the core message of friendship which is the heart and soul of the series? Isn't the whole point of friendship to accept others for who they are and not to judge them because of their flaws? Again, the word hypocrite, doesn't really begin to describe them.

Derpy is not just another character or another pony. She is an idea, that it's ok to hang out with someone that's different. And you cannot destroy an idea. The Save Derpy Campaign continues no matter what.

Edited by SBaby

I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek myself, but I do think a lot of things are being either ignored or glossed over when it comes to the campaign to change Derpy back.

As an example, I've seen a lot of fans criticize the idea that Derpy is offensive because she has a handicap. I don't see it that way at all. What makes Derpy potentially offensive is the way she portrays ponies (and by extension, people) with handicaps.

Is someone with a speech impediment also going to be clumsy and have strabismus? Comparisons with Downs Syndrome have been made. Are people with Downs prone to clumsiness and sparking disasters? Should they not be entrusted with tasks like the ones Derpy can't be entrusted with?

Then there's the presumption that people who would be offended by Derpy are either overly sensitive or trolls. How do we know? Do we even know who they are? Do we know any of the relevant details?

No. We don't.

So sure, fans can be upset about Derpy being changed. No quarrels here, I don't like it either. But aside from the Quixotic nature of the campaign, I'm seeing a lot of one-sided thinking.

As examples, it's wrong for people to be offended by Derpy, but right for people to be offended by Derpy being changed. It's wrong to criticize Derpy, but okay for people to insult anyone who does. It's wrong to demand Derpy be changed, but okay to demand she be changed back.

Apples and oranges, or food for thought?

(edited)

Then there's the presumption that people who would be offended by Derpy are either overly sensitive or trolls. How do we know? Do we even know who they are? Do we know any of the relevant details?

No. We don't.

Sadly, you are right. There is no way to know. But this has happened before, where it turned out to be trolls and people that just wanted to get the brony fanbase riled up. I'm sure everyone still remembers the Alex S. incident. Where they claimed to be bronies and it turned out that they were the same trolls that got his account suspended in the first place. So unfortunately, I am forced to take these kinds of complaints with a grain of salt.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

As for Derpy being changed, there is another underlying problem that hasn't been addressed yet. When you change one aspect of a show because of complaints of it being offensive, it is only a matter of time before more complaints roll in.

If Hasbro capitulates now, what's to stop more people from coming back and saying other parts of the show are offensive? How about Feeling Pinkie Keen? What if people say that episode has religious implications that offended them? How about the fact that the land is ruled by someone that's been in power for 1000 years? What's to stop someone from complaining that it's an underlying advocation of Totalitarianism? I'm not trying to be mean by saying this. I'm trying to illustrate this point to everyone:

This can happen to us.

It starts with small aspects of a show (using Derpy as an example, since it's ALREADY HAPPENED), and can expand to encompass entire episodes. Once this starts to happen, a show typically ends up in one of two ways:

- Altered beyond recognition

- Cancelled

Hear me and hear me well,

THIS HAS HAPPENED BEFORE!

It sucks. It's lousy. I know. But it has happened before, and it can happen again. THAT is why I'm concerned.

Edited by SBaby

Out To Pasture

At the risk of belaboring the point, and with the proviso that I'm not knocking people who feel hurt and want to deal with it constructively, I'm compelled to remind anyone who follows the link below that the article in question was written long before any of this came about.

If the horseshoe fits, wear it.

Compare and contrast what's written there with some of the behavior we're seeing now. It's uncanny. Prophetic, even. And definitely apt when it comes to the unseemly self-aggrandizement of a few on behalf of the assumed many.

I'm not suggesting that any of this be swept under the rug (I would prefer a lot more openness from Hasbro et al in cases like these), or that Derpy fans shouldn't express their unhappiness in ways that are sensible, positive and healthy. I'm all for that and applaud fans mature enough to do that.

What I have no truck with, however, are fans who think abusing Hasbro over this is the right thing to do. Again, the link above speaks for itself. I pray that no one watching all this from the sidelines should ever mistake them for representing the fanbase as a whole, because that would be an even greater injustice against real, living people than anything Hasbro could do to a lovable but nonetheless fictional character named Derpy.

They certainly don't represent me.

Again with the link to the "Fan Dumb" page... I know you are trying to be the voice of reason but I think insulting our more extremist bronies and pegasisters is not the way to get them to see reason. Rather, you almost come off as self-righteous in your insistence on separating yourself from them. We should not splinter into different camps but stay united in our love for this show.

I know I ordered my Friendship is Magic Express DVD so I can get the original Derpy. The iTunes version is a travesty so I plan on not buying it. Other than that, I am not going to do anything else until I see how Derpy is handled in the future. I agree threatening Hasbro is counter-productive, I urge people not to do it, but neither am I going to judge because I know this is an outrage. I ask that we stay level-headed and watch how events unfold. It is natural to be upset because it feels like one our favorite ponies was murdered (first blood!) but let's not go rioting into the streets. There is no doubt we've already gotten Hasbro's attention. Now it is their move.

in regards to the legitimacy of the complainers who got derpy changed, well, just using the examples mentioned by the writer there were 10 negative emails claiming offense, but the 200 positive ones came largely from viewers with disabilities or closely related to disabled people. take that along with the trend that the people who gripe most about political correctness are primarily healthy, upper-middle class, white people with no connection to those they claim are insulted. at one point there was a group of people saying that jeff foxworthy was offensive and made the south sound like a bunch of backwoods idiots, the entirety of the group was city dwelling northerners, known here in the south as yankees, who had no idea about rural life, especially in the south.

might some of the people claiming to be offended be legitimate in their claims? maybe, but i'm willing to bet they are a minority.

• Brohoof 1

I found her I found her I found her!!

I found Derpy in the new episode! I won't say where so as not to spoil it for those that like looking for her but she is there and her eyes are same as always. I can finally breathe a sigh of relief!!!!

I found Derpy in the new episode! I won't say where so as not to spoil it for those that like looking for her but she is there and her eyes are same as always. I can finally breathe a sigh of relief!!!!

I know I was so happy when I seen it!!!!

(edited)

Yes, we are all very relieved to see that Derpy is still going to be in the new episodes. If she had been removed outright, I would've been really worried about this series' future. But fortunately, we are all able to say the best three words ever:

DERPY WILL LIVE!

Edited by SBaby

Well I'm asking. I have rather poor eyesight and did not see her. Where/when was she in the episode?

Posted Image

Well I'm asking. I have rather poor eyesight and did not see her. Where/when was she in the episode?

Since you asked... I pasted the picture another pony put up in the episode 19 discussion thread.

The Road Less Trotted

Again with the link to the "Fan Dumb" page... I know you are trying to be the voice of reason but I think insulting our more extremist bronies and pegasisters is not the way to get them to see reason. Rather, you almost come off as self-righteous in your insistence on separating yourself from them. We should not splinter into different camps but stay united in our love for this show.

I'm not holding myself up as an infallible paragon of virtue, and where I'm wrong, I appreciate having it pointed out. That's not self-righteousness, just honesty. Fans for whom that description doesn't apply have no logical reason to be offended by it.

Fans for whom it reads like a personal checklist would do better to contemplate not only why the description (which, again, was written long before any of this happened) applies to them, but why they think it applies to them. There is no more sincere form of confession than that.

Up to the point they aren't hassling the people who make my favorite show and painting the entire fan community in a bad light with their actions, I don't have a problem with it. Everyone has their own way of expressing affection, and if fans want to take it to the extreme in positive ways (or at least ways that don't hurt anyone else), I'm all for it.

But it is definitely possible to take things too far the other way, and if going along with bad behavior is the price of "unity", then that price is too high. Fans who choose the Dark Side have chosen to splinter off on their own and segregate themselves. That choice has nothing to do with anything I or anyone else says or does. The responsibility is theirs alone.

You have used the term "extremist" yourself to describe fans whose behavior crosses that line. I'm not insulting anyone. Those for whom the shoe fits insult themselves. And lest I be mistaken, my criticism is for bad behavior, not anyone personally. Nobody's perfect, including me, and I have nothing but the utmost respect for anyone who is willing to admit mistakes and learn from them.

I have been very careful to avoid naming names or pointing fingers at anyone specifically, just explaining what I see as problem behavior and why it needs to be confronted. Any resemblance anyone may see between their own behavior and the behavior described in that article are seeing it in themselves.

The key word in "self-marginalization" is "self". Fans who are unable to express support for Derpy or the show in general without being "fan dumb" about it are isolating themselves.

Likewise, anyone who wants to join the overwhelming majority of fans who appreciate the show for what it is, do so in ways that are positive, and exemplify the simple but important lessons it has to teach, has already joined.

That door is always open for anyone willing to enter it, regardless of whatever may have gone before.

Meanwhile, back at the show...

It's nice to see Derpy get some brief cameos in the latest episode, but since episodes typically air months after production, it's too early to tell what impacts "Derpygate" may have on the character long-term.

Hopefully none, because the most likely alternative would be less Derpy.

Posted Image

Since you asked... I pasted the picture another pony put up in the episode 19 discussion thread.

Thanks!

Its pretty cool that they actually gave Derpy a muffin clip for her saddle bag. It shows that they are still listening to us! :D

I'm glad you pointed the muffin out! I love that they gave that to her!

Its pretty cool that they actually gave Derpy a muffin clip for her saddle bag. It shows that they are still listening to us! :D

This episode has been animated a long time ago, so don't get your hopes up, it may be that the season 3 which is currently works will experience diminished Derpy as a result still.

The fact that the video is unaltered show us derpy is (somewhat) safe. i Mean thay took the last roundup off the air to change derpy, so they coulve easily changed #19. I can see why this whole derpy thing has become so controversial, but i see no point in it. I mean the show teaches all of us about tolerance and friendship, so why wouldnt we have a physically impaired (awesome) pony.

I think taking derpy out of the show is more a discrimination of the impaired than keeping her.

• Brohoof 1

Overall, I don't like the chagne, but its something I don't care too much about. Derpy is still a BG character with Derped eyes in future episodes. (Like this week's episode.) They might not just show her voice again, and everything is cool.

...Aren't some bronies overreacting saying this is the end of the community? (As heard from Saberspark) Far from it I say! Its just a voice change.

The Road Less Trotted

I'm not holding myself up as an infallible paragon of virtue, and where I'm wrong, I appreciate having it pointed out. That's not self-righteousness, just honesty. Fans for whom that description doesn't apply have no logical reason to be offended by it.

Fans for whom it reads like a personal checklist would do better to contemplate not only why the description (which, again, was written long before any of this happened) applies to them, but why they think it applies to them. There is no more sincere form of confession than that.

Up to the point they aren't hassling the people who make my favorite show and painting the entire fan community in a bad light with their actions, I don't have a problem with it. Everyone has their own way of expressing affection, and if fans want to take it to the extreme in positive ways (or at least ways that don't hurt anyone else), I'm all for it.

But it is definitely possible to take things too far the other way, and if going along with bad behavior is the price of "unity", then that price is too high. Fans who choose the Dark Side have chosen to splinter off on their own and segregate themselves. That choice has nothing to do with anything I or anyone else says or does. The responsibility is theirs alone.

You have used the term "extremist" yourself to describe fans whose behavior crosses that line. I'm not insulting anyone. Those for whom the shoe fits insult themselves. And lest I be mistaken, my criticism is for bad behavior, not anyone personally. Nobody's perfect, including me, and I have nothing but the utmost respect for anyone who is willing to admit mistakes and learn from them.

I have been very careful to avoid naming names or pointing fingers at anyone specifically, just explaining what I see as problem behavior and why it needs to be confronted. Any resemblance anyone may see between their own behavior and the behavior described in that article are seeing it in themselves.

The key word in "self-marginalization" is "self". Fans who are unable to express support for Derpy or the show in general without being "fan dumb" about it are isolating themselves.

Likewise, anyone who wants to join the overwhelming majority of fans who appreciate the show for what it is, do so in ways that are positive, and exemplify the simple but important lessons it has to teach, has already joined.

That door is always open for anyone willing to enter it, regardless of whatever may have gone before.

Meanwhile, back at the show...

It's nice to see Derpy get some brief cameos in the latest episode, but since episodes typically air months after production, it's too early to tell what impacts "Derpygate" may have on the character long-term.

Hopefully none, because the most likely alternative would be less Derpy.

Cool. I just wanted to make sure that didn't go to the Dark Side yourself fighting the Dark Side. When fighting monsters, the temptation to become a monster yourself is always there. With the latest Derpy sighting, I think there should be more calm. :)

Lol, Derpygate. :lol:

This episode has been animated a long time ago, so don't get your hopes up, it may be that the season 3 which is currently works will experience diminished Derpy as a result still.

Since the animation is produced using flash, it would have been the work of about twenty minutes to change Derpy into a generic pony before the episode was aired.

Derpy is still with us!

Cool. I just wanted to make sure that didn't go to the Dark Side yourself fighting the Dark Side. When fighting monsters, the temptation to become a monster yourself is always there. With the latest Derpy sighting, I think there should be more calm.

If I should happen to fall to the Dark Side, I hope you can rally the mane cast to use the Elements of Harmony to save me.

They tend to be a little less brutal in dealing with situations like that than Obi-Wan, if you know what I mean. :o

• Brohoof 1

I really think it's stupid that people would get offended (and I doubt they even were, they probably just wanted to piss Derpy fans off) at something so lighthearted and fun. Also I'm pretty sure the writer of the episode is an advocate of those kinds of things, so it's just even sillier. I thought it was really cool of the show's creators to acknowledge such a huge portion of their fanbase, like probably 95% of it, and it was really cool hearing Ashleigh Ball actually say Derpy. It sucks that people had to ruin that for the fans who really like her, but I'm not too heartbroken because she'll probably still be a background pony and the animators said they wouldn't "fix" her eyes or anything so that's cool.

Since the animation is produced using flash, it would have been the work of about twenty minutes to change Derpy into a generic pony before the episode was aired. Derpy is still with us!

But the thing is, it would have still cost them money and maybe they are so fed up with us that they do not feel like spending another dime, just ax her out from the future. :(

I really miss Derpy tho. With the old voice, I even wrote her a song(yes, I got something for her to sing and it is called "It's okay" and is about how much she loves the ponies in ponyville for loving her back and accepting her for being a klutz.